AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brought a bargain today as you can no doubt see, so how does £18.00 grab you?

Scully: Agent Mulder. I'm Dana Scully. I’ve been assigned to work with you.

Mulder: oh, really? I was under the impression that you were sent to spy on me.

With second film due out this summer The X-Files: “I want to believe” http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443701/ after the first film outing back in 1998 X-Files: “Fight the Future” http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120902/combined the TV show pilot starts at the long partnership beginning for (David Duchovny) Fox Mulder and (Gillian Anderson) Dana Scully as they investigate cases into the paranormal as well as possibility of extra-terrestrial existence, which is labelled under the FBI as “X-files”. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106179/

You ether “love it or hate it” the shows got an appealing fan audience and as I get back into it with 7 gorgeous DVD’s in nice box-set.

Image: framing is full-screen 1.33:1 image looks shape yet it’s got TV quality about it, colours look muted but viewable.

Sound: is Dolby surround 4:2:4 and its mealy to entertain back in the 1990’s with many shows that where produced in Dolby surround and the X-Files was hit with fans that had Dolby surround Pro-Logic, tuning in each week to catch the latest show in Dolby. Dialogue is extremely easy to follow, while Mark Snow’s television score plays.

Sound effects on the first pilot has nice low end support a few off-screen dialogue sounds are heard to left then move back to centre front, surrounds are matrix and due to complexity nature of the circuitry, monaural surrounds tend to carry music that’s on the front and it gets piggybacked onto the surrounds which can be distracting sometimes.

Extras are longer than my arm they stretch out further than the eye can see, so I’ll be up for hours each night or maybe if, I take a few tablets and apply a few matchsticks to keep my eyes open I could get though 1056 minutes plus extras.

I doubt creator (Chris Carter) really know he had hit on his hands back when it all started and the rest is history now. I like writing of the shows and research into this fascinating territory of the unknown.

Characterization and chemistry between Mulder and Sully is perfect, Fox’s witty sense of humour and serious side while sceptic Sully tends to disbelieve after what see and Mulder have both witnessed at the same time. Assistant Director Walter Skinner (Mitch Pileggi) is on Mulder’s side while there are forces in the FBI like “Cigarette Smoking Man” (William B. Davis) dark crafty shadowy and devious figure within the bureau, who’s not to be trusted.

imdb list of actors/characters names for each show.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106179/fullcredits#cast

Anyway, I’ve just finished re-watching “Deep Throat” while typing up this rather quick post, “deep throat” is good reliable resource for providing information.

I’ll keep the thread updated with the second season box-set as soon as possible because something tells me, ASDA has limited supply of The X-Files and I don’t what to miss the opportunity, not at £18.00 pounds.

Remember? “The Truth is Out There”!?

Screen captures from Pilot episode.

First disc episodes

“Pilot”

Written by Chris Carter

Directed by Robert Mandel

BBC air date:19/09/94

“Deep Throat”

Written by

directed by Daniel Sacheim

BBC air date: 24/09/94

“Squeeze”

Written by Glen Morgan & James Wong

Directed by Harry Longstreet

BBC air date: 03/10/94

“Conduit”

Written by Alex Gansa & Howard Gordon

Directed by Daniel Sacheim

BBC air date: 10/10/94

Second discs episodes

“The Jersey Devil”

Written by Chris Carter

Directed by Joe Napolitano

BBC air date: 17/10/94

“Shadows”Written by Glen Morgan & James Wong

Directed by Michael Katleman

BBC air date: 24/10/94

“Ghost in the Machine”

Directed by Jerrold Freeman

BBC air date:03/11/94

“Ice”

Directed by David Nutter

BBC air date:10/11/94

Third discs episodes

“Space”

Written by Chris Carter

Directed by William Graham

BBC air date: 17/1194

“Fallen Angel”

Written by Howard Gordon & Alex Gansa

Directed by Larry Shaw

BBC air date:24/11/94

“Eve”

Written by Kenneth Biller & Chris Brancato

Directed by Fred Gerber

BBC air date:01/12/94

“Fire”Written by Chris Carter

Directed by Larry Shaw

BBC air date:08/12/94

Forth discs episodes

“Beyond the Sea”

Directed by David Nutter

BBC air date:15/12/94

“Gender Bender”Written by Larry Barber & Paul Barber

Directed by Rob Bowman

BBC air date:22/12/94

“Lazarus” Written by Alex Gansa & Howard Gordon

Directed by David Nutter

BBC air date:05/01/95

“Young at Heart”

Written by Scott Kaufer & Chris Carter

Directed by Michael Lange

BBC air date:12/01/95

Fifth discs episodes

“E.B.E.”

Directed by William Graham

BBC air date:19/01/95

"Miracle Man"

Written by Howard Gordon & Chris Carter

Directed by Michael Lange

BBC air date:26/01/95

“Shapes”

Written by Marilyn Osborn

Directed by David Nutter

BBC air date:02/02/95

“Darkness Falls”

Written by Chris Carter

Directed by Joe Napolitano

BBC air date:09/02/95

Sixth discs episodes

“Tooms”

Directed by David Nutter

BBC air date:16/02/95

“Born Again”

Directed by Jerrold Freeman

BBC air date:

“Roland”

Written by Chris Ruppenthal

Directed by David Nutter

BBC air date:02/03/95

“The Erlenmeyer Flask”

Written by Chris Carter

Directed by R.W. Goodwin

BBC air date:09/03/95

Seventh disc extra bonus features from the first seasons show.

11 minute documentary “The Truth About Season One.”

“Behind-the-Truth” ads from FX TV channel

DVD ROM game “Roots of Conspiracy” [PC only]

Deleted scenes from pilot Episode

Special effects clip from “Fallen Angel”

·
Registered
27,720 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy /forum/post/14256942

Full screen? Yuck....

It was a TV show. The first four seasons were photographed in 4:3.

·
Registered
361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/14259472

It was a TV show. The first five seasons were photographed in 4:3.

That's what I thought, but I just started season five and its 1.78:1. Oh joy.

·
Registered
27,720 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe741 /forum/post/14260574

That's what I thought, but I just started season five and its 1.78:1. Oh joy.

You're right, it's the first four seasons in 4:3. The show didn't start 16:9 production until Season 5.

It's also worth noting that The X-Files never aired in High Definition. The last 5 seasons (5-9) aired on Fox's "High Resolution Widescreen" 480p channel in 16:9. The network didn't switch to 720p HD until after the show was off the air. As a result, I believe all of the show's VFX were rendered in Standard Definition.

·
Registered
9,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/14259472

It was a TV show. The first five seasons were photographed in 4:3.

I'm aware it was a serial; it's just I thought that archaic manner of 4:3-framing cinematography stopped long ago (yeah, Seinfield & Friends did it, but I didn't like either of them).

·
Registered
27,720 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy /forum/post/14263100

I'm aware it was a serial; it's just I thought that archaic manner of 4:3-framing cinematography stopped long ago (yeah, Seinfield & Friends did it, but I didn't like either of them).

Do you not watch much TV?

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
WalMart has all the seasons for 19.99 each.

·
Registered
9,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/14267667

Do you not watch much TV?

So I should assume everything shown in 4:3 was shot in 4:3? I actually have no idea who all did or didn't use the process; perhaps IMDB will tell me......nah...

·
Banned
5,823 Posts
I miss The X Files....Would they be able to release HD boxsets of each season or were they shot using SD camera's ?

As for fullscreen....So what...Many movies from the golden age of cinema were also shot in that way but i still enjoy them. Perhaps they might do a Star Trek and render the FX in HD for a Blu Ray release if the original series was shot on film ( was it ? )

I'm a huge fan hence my screen name and i really enjoyed the first feature film and i am looking forward to the new one out very soon.

·
Registered
27,720 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder /forum/post/14286022

I miss The X Files....Would they be able to release HD boxsets of each season or were they shot using SD camera's ?

The series was shot on film, but the VFX were rendered at Standard Definition resolution. In a best-case scenario, the footage without VFX could be true High Definition, but the image will drop down to upscaled SD quality anytime a CGI element appears in a shot (the entire shot will be SD, not just the CG itself).

This is the same problem Firefly has. Of course, The X-Files has a lot less CG than Firefly, so maybe it wouldn't be as big a problem.

·
Registered
9,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder /forum/post/14286022

The only SD cameras in the 90s were video cameras and XF was shot using (35mm) motion picture film as Josh mentioned.

Quote:
As for fullscreen....So what...Many movies from the golden age of cinema were also shot in that way but i still enjoy them. Perhaps they might do a Star Trek and render the FX in HD for a Blu Ray release if the original series was shot on film ( was it ? )

So do I, but the 90s are not the golden age of TV or cinema. Back during Star Trek: TOS' heyday, practically everything for TV was shot to film.....and blocked for 4:3, I assume.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts