AVS Forum banner

981 - 1000 of 1202 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Just wanted to know, have you guys spent more on your single/multiple Rel Subwoofers then your Front Speakers?

I got the B&W S600 series speakers paired with my Rel S2 Sub. I m thinking of adding another Rel S2 to my setup but that would make the cost of the subwoofers double of the cost of what i paid for my Front Speakers.

Is that advisable? or should i upgrade my front speakers first?

Thanks.
I dont think there is a formula for perfection. You upgrade whats lacking first until nothing is lacking, which may never come. You may have a $1,000 pair of Magnepan speakers with a $24,000 six pack of REL subs and be happy. Or the other way, a pair of $120,000 Magico fronts with a $2,000 REL subs. Be just as happy.
But since you asked a specific question, I will answer. My subs (3) cost double the speakers cost.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
I dont think there is a formula for perfection. You upgrade whats lacking first until nothing is lacking, which may never come. You may have a $1,000 pair of Magnepan speakers with a $24,000 six pack of REL subs and be happy. Or the other way, a pair of $120,000 Magico fronts with a $2,000 REL subs. Be just as happy.
But since you asked a specific question, I will answer. My subs (3) cost double the speakers cost.
I agree. FWIW: My 2 REL R-328 together listed for $3800 while my speakers listed at $16K.

Reactions: grigorianvlad

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Here is another testament for how good RELs are.
I have a REL on the right side, and a Sunfire TSEQ12 True Signature sub. This one is rather small, just 13 by 13 inches. Sunfire claims 2,700W of power. But that is the trouble with that company, just like in this Monty Pythons sketch every power rating it gives has to be divided by 3, otherwise they are perfectly honest.

Another problem with that sub is if you blast really low notes really loud the only way to keep it from galloping around the room is to sit on top of, which is rather inconvenient. But here is why I am posting this. During Audyssey calibration my processor measures 12 feet to the REL and 27 feet to the Sunfire, even though the distance is the same 13 feet dead. Why? Because the Sunfire, which is a classic HT sub with a heavy and slow woofer and an amp to match. It is engineered to hit hard, no matter when that hit arrives or if it matches what is going on up the frequencies. The REL, on the other hand, is as natural and as fast as a sub can be. If I had to compare them, one is a sumo wrestler and the other is a light weight boxer and we all know which is more interesting.

I measured the time difference, and it is 0.0133294233691451 sec. That is small, but Audyssey and our ears catch it perfectly. Every microsecond counts and costs.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Picked myself up a pair of Focal Electra 1028 Be's last week (picking up the matching centre speaker and some dipole surrounds this weekend), so I finally have a pair of front speakers to match my REL 212 SE. And man, what a combo! They blend so well and just sound so full and fantastic. We had a good listening session with just the speakers first, and although they sounded good turning the REL back on just took it up to a whole new level!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
REL T9i Gain Too High

Hi,
Just added two RELs to my system (NAD 777 v3 Receiver). I am having trouble with high level input. Basically, the high level volume/gain of the sub is too loud. 4 clicks from minimum is too loud and three clicks from minimum means no sound comes from the sub. Note, this is with only one sub (so it is not an issue with combined power). REL says if there is too much gain, connect only one of red and yellow wires to your receiver. Doing so did not resolve the problem, (and it introduced a new problem of hum). The issue is, if I can't lower the sub gain, I can't blend it with mains. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hi,
Just added two RELs to my system (NAD 777 v3 Receiver). I am having trouble with high level input. Basically, the high level volume/gain of the sub is too loud. 4 clicks from minimum is too loud and three clicks from minimum means no sound comes from the sub. Note, this is with only one sub (so it is not an issue with combined power). REL says if there is too much gain, connect only one of red and yellow wires to your receiver. Doing so did not resolve the problem, (and it introduced a new problem of hum). The issue is, if I can't lower the sub gain, I can't blend it with mains. Any help would be appreciated.
so the issue also comes with both subs connected in stereo setup like how Rel suggest?

What have you got your crossover set to on the Rel sub? the knob on the back of the sub.

Cheers.

P.S- There is a Facebook group of Rel owners created by Rel itself which is very active, join that group & ask for suggestion there. The group name is mentioned in the above posts.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
so the issue also comes with both subs connected in stereo setup like how Rel suggest?

What have you got your crossover set to on the Rel sub? the knob on the back of the sub.

Cheers.

P.S- There is a Facebook group of Rel owners created by Rel itself which is very active, join that group & ask for suggestion there. The group name is mentioned in the above posts.

Hi. Cross over varies as I have two sets of speakers. The pair I was testing yesterday were Anthony Gallo Strada 2 which require about 100hz. Today I will try Kef R series which will require a much lower crossover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hi. Cross over varies as I have two sets of speakers. The pair I was testing yesterday were Anthony Gallo Strada 2 which require about 100hz. Today I will try Kef R series which will require a much lower crossover.

hmmm, you trying dual T9is connected or only one? Set the crossover to around 50-60hz on the T9i with the kefs.

Do report back if the gain is lesser. I feel its the 100hz crossover setting creating so much gain.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
hmmm, you trying dual T9is connected or only one? Set the crossover to around 50-60hz on the T9i with the kefs.

Do report back if the gain is lesser. I feel its the 100hz crossover setting creating so much gain.

Cheers.

Hi. Yesterday one t9i connected to each AG Strada. Today, one t9i connected to each Kef R. I will report back as son as I rest. Thanks.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hi. Yesterday one t9i connected to each AG Strada. Today, one t9i connected to each Kef R. I will report back as son as I rest. Thanks.

Do let us know how it goes :)

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Do let us know how it goes :)

Cheers.

Hi. I changed out the subwoofer LFE cables, and tightened up all other connections. I connected only the red and yellow wires (taping off black). The hum is gone .

On to tuning. Which feels complex as a newbie. One thing I have noticed is that when I feel like it is tuned well for the MLP, the rest of the house feels like it is in an earth quake. Is that normal? Perhaps two t9is are too much for my room?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hi. I changed out the subwoofer LFE cables, and tightened up all other connections. I connected only the red and yellow wires (taping off black). The hum is gone .

On to tuning. Which feels complex as a newbie. One thing I have noticed is that when I feel like it is tuned well for the MLP, the rest of the house feels like it is in an earth quake. Is that normal? Perhaps two t9is are too much for my room?

in a stereo Rel setup is it necessary to tape the black wire? the Nad T777 is a class A/B amp. I got the t758 v3, didn't know i have to tape the black wire.

Yeah possible it too much for your room, what's the size of your room? you can always lower the gain now ;-)

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
in a stereo Rel setup is it necessary to tape the black wire? the Nad T777 is a class A/B amp. I got the t758 v3, didn't know i have to tape the black wire.

Yeah possible it too much for your room, what's the size of your room? you can always lower the gain now ;-)
On my stereo setup I have the yellow/red combined to the red terminal and use the black on the ground terminal.

·
Registered
558 Posts
On my stereo setup I have the yellow/red combined to the red terminal and use the black on the ground terminal.
what if the amp doesn't have a ground terminal then? Better to tape it & leave it suspended?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
what if the amp doesn't have a ground terminal then? Better to tape it & leave it suspended?

Thanks.
I'm not referring to chassis ground. I mean the speaker terminal ground. On a REL, the red connects to right speaker hot on the amps's speaker terminals, the yellow connects to left speaker hot, and the black connects to speaker ground (right or left). If using a stereo pair, on each sub black connects to speaker ground, and red+yellow connects to speaker hot.

Maybe your amp has special considerations. IDK. What I have describe is the standard procedure.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
So I have Stereo T9Is. I seem to have gotten ride of the hum. I changed to Audioquest LFE cables (because for 40 bucks each, you get a nice thin cable with a ground wire spades on each side). I grounded to the chassis on the receiver side and the ground screw on the REL side. I also now have red and yellow on the red speaker terminal and black on the black speaker terminal.

It sounds pretty good so far. I am curious if it impacts speaker response. I guess I could run Dirac with and without it connected.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Cheers.
I would try setting the crossover even lower, perhaps @ 35hz. The REL will still roll off above that frequency and will "blend" with your mains up there.
I found that I had just too much reinforcement, and too much bass with a setting @50-60hz. In addition to all speakers hitting the mid-bass 30 - 50 hz, there was room gain - making it bloated there.
My mains are Dynaudio Excite X34 - floorstanders with about the same low end as your KEF R. Now my pair of L&R separated T-9 REL's enhance soundstage in stereo, part of the magic of REL. I found that moving the mains around a bit, after I found the nice spot for the REL pair, also helped integration.
I still get a little "hole" in response at 50-60, but I believe that's my room and seating position. I get mostly flat down to @22hz, then -6 at 18. I prefer a hole here and there over bloats and humps.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
I would try setting the crossover even lower, perhaps @ 35hz. The REL will still roll off above that frequency and will "blend" with your mains up there.
I found that I had just too much reinforcement, and too much bass with a setting @50-60hz. In addition to all speakers hitting the mid-bass 30 - 50 hz, there was room gain - making it bloated there.
My mains are Dynaudio Excite X34 - floorstanders with about the same low end as your KEF R. Now my pair of L&R separated T-9 REL's enhance soundstage in stereo, part of the magic of REL. I found that moving the mains around a bit, after I found the nice spot for the REL pair, also helped integration.
I still get a little "hole" in response at 50-60, but I believe that's my room and seating position. I get mostly flat down to @22hz, then -6 at 18. I prefer a hole here and there over bloats and humps.
+1
Even REL states that most people set their crossovers too high. My speakers are -3db at 28 Hz and I set my REL stereo pair at the lowest crossover point (30 Hz).

Reactions: mikapen
981 - 1000 of 1202 Posts