AVS Forum banner

1041 - 1060 of 1202 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
A mate of mine had an SVS SB13 Ultra and we both compared that directly with the REL S5 I had at the time and we both found the S5 to integrate much better into music listening than the SVS. It was tighter, faster and a more refined sound overall.

We both then ended up upgrading to a REL 212SE each and couldn't be happier. Once dialed in the REL integrates incredibly well into the system. Rather than sounding like a sub thumping away it blends with the soundstage and just sounds like an extension of the front speakers. The 212 also has some serious balls for HT duties...it's already at the point where I have to consider my neighbours when watching a movie as it carries through their house (standalone house on a 385sqm block).

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,042
Yes Sir, exact same spot and even tried positioning it in opposite corners. Played with the different phase settings and then even turned on auto phasing (had it previously off) on my AVR. No change.

Yes the cone moves but not that much.. after several more days of “breaking in”.. it’s gotten a little better.. but still not any where close to the output level of my t9i.

It’s so weird.. I can’t seem to figure out if I’m doung something wrong or it it’s meant to be like this.

As I mentioned, if I swap out the S/3 with the T9i and make no tweaks and use the exact same cables, exact same set up.. the t9i is 2x more output.
How do you have it connected? If the phase is correct and the cones are hardly moving, then it could be the signal level the S/3's amplifier is seeing is low.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Aloha,

I have a 34 day old REL HT/1003 subwoofer that I’ve been using regularly. I connect to my preamp via line level, both left and right channels. Everything has worked great. Yesterday, when in power “auto” mode, the standby red light turns to white like normal when music is being played, but no sounds comes out of the sub. The cones don’t move, nothing. Doesn’t matter what the phase is set to. I’ve let the sub sit for hours, both unplugged and plugged, hoping it would reset, to no avail.

I double checked the rca preamp output to make sure it’s working property by connecting it to my power amp’s rca inputs, and sound flows normally (the REL was disconnected to do this). So its not an issue with the preamp. The REL seems to be receiving the signal because the light turns white.

Any trouble shooting ideas would be appreciated. REL is closed today.

Thanks.

·
Registered
841 Posts
A mate of mine had an SVS SB13 Ultra and we both compared that directly with the REL S5 I had at the time and we both found the S5 to integrate much better into music listening than the SVS. It was tighter, faster and a more refined sound overall.
I assume both subs were not level matched and properly calibrated.

The S5 is a 550W, 20Hz at -6 dB, while the SVS has a 1000W amplifier, 20Hz at -3db. The S5 was probably "tighter, faster" due to having no output bellow 20Hz ...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rel S3 LFE problem

Hello all,

I have a pair of Rel S3’s and get very little LFE performance. I have LFE cranked to max on the subs, have LFE+Main and everything crossed over in the processor at 100hz. I have set speakers to small for the sake of testing the LFE signal. It almost seems the power delivery is faulty or it’s not able to get the full spectrum. High level was disconnected during the LFE setup and tests.

When using a much older t7i, I actually get significantly more output with he LFE at a lower setting on the sub. I would think the s3’s are defective, but it seems like a low probability that they would send two defective subs.

The processor is an mx122.

I called rel and am awaiting a response.

Any thoughts, comments would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Guys... need some advice...

I’ve had a T9i for several months now.. to go along with my B&W 703s2. Love the set up. The sub is so sweet but I always wanted to “upgrade” to the S/3 SHO.. since it goes down much deeper -6db 22HZ.. and has a 400w amp vs the 350w of the T9i..

I have now gone through 2x S/3s (bought one and returned it cause I though it was bad)

I have been doing a ton.. I mean a ton of research.. and I am very disappointed in the S/3.

I honestly thought it was going to be a huge improvement from the T9i.. I mean it’s almost 2x the price.

The sub is hardly audible... it is extremely weak!! I went through the entire process of breaking in over 3-4 days.. followed RELs instructions and I can hardly even tell it’s there.. it sounds flat, no depth at all.

Even in HT mode, watching movies... it’s weak, I had to plug the T9i back cause it was not enjoyable.

The T9i have is much much louder and deeper... both are hooked up the same and I have to turn the gain on the S3 to 100% and still not that loud... the t9i is set at 45% and I have to turn it down sometimes cause it’s so loud.

Anyone else think their S3s lack volume levels?
Yes, i will likely return mine as output seems muted when compared to my Old T7i. It almost as they are not getting enough power or not receiving the full signal.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Yes, i will likely return mine as output seems muted when compared to my Old T7i. It almost as they are not getting enough power or not receiving the full signal.
for sure both rel s3 can't have the same issue. I noticed this too with my S2 when connected only to lfe input & speakers on the avr set to small. The output was barely there so then tried high level input with it & was blown away.

Hope some other members can share some light on this?

CHeers.

·
Registered
558 Posts
for sure both rel s3 can't have the same issue. I noticed this too with my S2 when connected only to lfe input & speakers on the avr set to small. The output was barely there so then tried high level input with it & was blown away.

Cheers.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Recently had the amp on my REL Storm III repaired and was reminded why I love REL subs for music. Once properly setup, the sub disappears and the mains have a coherent, almost 3D sound from top to bottom. Now I’m considering the S5 or 212SE for my 400 sq ft living room. The sub will be primarily for music however, I may also use it to compliment a couple Monoprice Monolith 12 subs already setup for my HT. Right nowI’m thinking the S5 would be sufficient but the 212se would be endgame. Well, two 212se subs would really be the ultimate but that’s not in my budget right now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Right nowI’m thinking the S5 would be sufficient but the 212se would be endgame. Well, two 212se subs would really be the ultimate but that’s not in my budget right now.
Having upgraded from an S5 to a 212se I'd highly recommend stretching to the 212se if you can afford it. Endgame for me would also be a second 212se, but I don't actually have a spot to put it in my current house unfortunately... that and I could renovate my ensuite for the cost of the second 212 haha!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Having upgraded from an S5 to a 212se I'd highly recommend stretching to the 212se if you can afford it. Endgame for me would also be a second 212se, but I don't actually have a spot to put it in my current house unfortunately... that and I could renovate my ensuite for the cost of the second 212 haha!
Yes, I’m definitely going for the 212se. Getting it placed and properly setup I’m sure it would have no problem filling the space of my medium sized room. My Focal 1028be mains should be a great match as well.

Reactions: graphicgoose

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes, I’m definitely going for the 212se. Getting it placed and properly setup I’m sure it would have no problem filling the space of my medium sized room. My Focal 1028be mains should be a great match as well.
Considering I also own a pair of 1028be's, I can definitely say they're a great match with the 212se! You'll love it!

·
Registered
5 Posts

Cheers.
Hope so. I think it’s not seeing the entire signal some how or maybe it’s a bad batch. I’m actually not that impressed with it via high level. My old t7i kills the pair of s3’s. Maybe just a better amp design on the t series.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hope so. I think it’s not seeing the entire signal some how or maybe it’s a bad batch. I’m actually not that impressed with it via high level. My old t7i kills the pair of s3’s. Maybe just a better amp design on the t series.
the thing is, everyone here who has the S3 has it hooked up by high level connection & lfe together. So no one can really tell u if its a bad batch you got or its suppose to be that way.

I ordered another S2 from my dealer & got it lying with me but my house in under renovation so can't compare them both with just LFE input. TBH if you bought a Rel subwoofer to just connect it with LFE then you were better of buying the HT series.

Cheers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
the thing is, everyone here who has the S3 has it hooked up by high level connection & lfe together. So no one can really tell u if its a bad batch you got or its suppose to be that way.

I ordered another S2 from my dealer & got it lying with me but my house in under renovation so can't compare them both with just LFE input. TBH if you bought a Rel subwoofer to just connect it with LFE then you were better of buying the HT series.

Cheers.
I would do SVS or JL for just HT. I listen to primarily music.

I have the S3’s hooked up both ways, I just disconnected the high level to test the LFE by itself. My much older Rel T7i has probably 2-3x the output at the same settings using high level and LFE (and that’s an 8inch active driver). If Rel ever gets back to me, I’ll post their suggestions. It’s a bit of a disappointment given how good the T7i was (it just couldn’t handle frequencies much below 30hz). Rels are typically not boomy, however these barely do anything. Sounds muted, not getting adequate power or is missing frequencies. I have had them plugged into a high current Furman and directly to the wall. I even tested power at the wall and it’s all good. The s3’s are Probably going back though and I may go with a pair of t9i’s.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I would do SVS or JL for just HT. I listen to primarily music.

I have the S3’s hooked up both ways, I just disconnected the high level to test the LFE by itself. My much older Rel T7i has probably 2-3x the output at the same settings using high level and LFE (and that’s an 8inch active driver). If Rel ever gets back to me, I’ll post their suggestions. It’s a bit of a disappointment given how good the T7i was (it just couldn’t handle frequencies much below 30hz). Rels are typically not boomy, however these barely do anything. Sounds muted, not getting adequate power or is missing frequencies. I have had them plugged into a high current Furman and directly to the wall. I even tested power at the wall and it’s all good. The s3’s are Probably going back though and I may go with a pair of t9i’s.
If you use FB then i would suggest you to check the Rel Acoustic Fan Forum group. The group is created by REL itself.

Try posting your issues there as someone from REL will contact you over there immediately.

Cheers.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,058
Can you connect your phone to the subwoofer directly and play some familiar music? I have a cable that adapts my iPhone to RCA that I use for testing equipment. It works great for quickly identifying issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rel technical support feedback

I spoke to Rel regarding the limited LFE output on the S3’s and their response was that they internally limit the LFE to limit users from overdriving the sub. I asked some follow up questions and am awaiting reply. Thanks all for the responses.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I spoke to Rel regarding the limited LFE output on the S3’s and their response was that they internally limit the LFE to limit users from overdriving the sub. I asked some follow up questions and am awaiting reply. Thanks all for the responses.
Interesting, could be the case with the S series? As i face the same issue with my S2. Will be installing my other S2 soon & will update then.

1041 - 1060 of 1202 Posts