AVS Forum banner

1181 - 1200 of 1202 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Just installed dual 1003’s in my small condo to mate with a Sennheiser Ambeo soundbar: wow! Can’t believe how much bass these small boxes can produce. It’s actually too much (even with the isolation feet I installed from SVS). Got a neighbor complaint even after running the Ambeo calibration from a neighbor (I live in a small condo), and lowering the level. Ordered a high pass 50 HZ filter to tame it down, hope that eliminates the complaints. Really wasn’t expecting this much performance out of these small, relatively inexpensive subs: well done REL!
what kind of high pass filter did you buy? are you using the high level connection to connect the REL's? did you corner place the two subs or?

·
Registered
12 Posts
It’s a Harrison Labs high pass filter (Amazon carries them). The 1003 doesn’t have high level connections (a departure for the company), and my soundbar only has LFE sub out, so that’s how it’s connected. One is in the corner, the other to the left of the TV (not much choice in positioning in the small space). I was able to verify usable bass response down to 20 hz- amazing for such a small, relatively inexpensive sub.

·
Registered
321 Posts
A question for REL owners, especially 812 and 212 owners. Can two S/812 be equal to one 212/SE or SX?
Thank you for your time. Stay safe everyone during this bloody C19!

·
Registered
2 Posts
A question for REL owners, especially 812 and 212 owners. Can two S/812 be equal to one 212/SE or SX?
Thank you for your time. Stay safe everyone during this bloody C19!
Hello Jim,

I own a single 212Se ( I am extremely satisfied with it) and I have on loan a S812. I much prefer the 212se but 2 S812 might be better than 1 212SE depending on your room and sub positioning.
I would say depending on your max budget go for a pair of S812 or if you can afford it start with a single 212 and later on buy another one.
212SE being discontinued you might be able to find some good deal on them.

Alex

Sent from my SM-N9500 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yes because two are better than one. I don't have your listed models but own 2 x older models.
Hello Jim,

I own a single 212Se ( I am extremely satisfied with it) and I have on loan a S812. I much prefer the 212se but 2 S812 might be better than 1 212SE depending on your room and sub positioning.
I would say depending on your max budget go for a pair of S812 or if you can afford it start with a single 212 and later on buy another one.
212SE being discontinued you might be able to find some good deal on them.

Alex

Sent from my SM-N9500 using Tapatalk

Thank you gentlemen for your time!

Actually I want to know if two S/812 stacked will out perform the 212? I have space for 4 subs but to have four 212 might be out of budget. I can place two 212 or 812 stacked at front, or two 812 at front and two behind sofa.
Currently I have got one Rythmik Audio FV25 at front, and two Klipsch R-115 behind sofa, but one 115 died not long ago.

Thanks again. Alex, welcome to the forum :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I never listened to this combo but had this discussion with some other REL fans and REL actually.
There was a majority for a dual stack of S812 vs two REL 212 SE.
Now against two REL212SX might be another story...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
321 Posts
The 212/SX is listed £4199 so probably will be around €5000, it has less footprint than stacked 812. But four 812 might be better than two 212 for placement for home cinema use, as either 812 or 212 will be good for music.
Need to read more on this matter...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Having an issue with my dual 1003’s I did not expect: they’re too powerful. After a complaint from the condo neighbor upstairs, I inserted a 50hz high pass filter and it completely killed the bass. I’m going to need to run them without this and simply lower the gain, unless someone else can suggest something else. I know there’s a sale on the smallest REL now, but I’m not sure I can return these, and the sale is only for subs in white, and everything else is black in my rack.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Does anyone know how high the HT series frequency response extends? The official specs only list low extension. Do they work well if crossed above 80hz?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Does anyone know how high the HT series frequency response extends? The official specs only list low extension. Do they work well if crossed above 80hz?
I own two of the older ones.
These are targeted at the hometheatre side but with the REL signature sound. Tight and fast. To round off there would be absolutely no problem with the 80hz xover. Probably could even go 100hz.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Purchase advice: Rel S3 SHO vs Rel T7i/Kef kube 10b/12b? I found a seller that would sell the Rel S3 SHO (almost new) for half price (900 euro) , so same price as the 12b since he is upgrading to a larger set. I am using Kef LSX speakers. Which would you recommend? Can a subwoofer be ‘too big’ for the speakers? Thought process is that buying a good subwoofer now and using with LSX for some time until I buy bigger speakers in a few years.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi REL folks, slowly building a system for a new home that is under construction. High level basics; room is 15.5x31x9 on a slab and sealed to the rest of the house with a bar in the back. MLP will be about 14’ from the front wall and 11.5 from the LCR channels. I have full autonomy to place thing where they sound best and will tune the room with REW and calibrate with Audyssey onboard my Denon x4700 AVR (in preamp mode with a Parasound Halo A52+ and two Emotiva A-150 amplifiers).

I’m 60/40 music to movies/TV, i listen at elevated levels but not reference unless I’m demo’ing for friends then i get silly. The Denon allows for switching 2CH listening modes on the fly, main reason I purchased it (can switch from large no subs to small with subs and Audyssey profiles). I listen to all sorts of music but lots of vocal centered music with strings, Gogo Penguin, Mark Knopfler, Rebecca Pidgeon, Dave Matthews Band, The Police, Lana Del Ray, etc. So no 16 Hz organ stuff here.....

I had a dealer I trust recommend a pair of T 9i subs. My issue is it rolls off beginning at 28 Hz which isn’t ideal for LFE. I am certain they would perform amazingly well for music, but I’m concerned about movie reproduction.

What are your thoughts? I was prepared to buy a pair of Paradigm Defiance X15s which don’t do much below 20 Hz but perform incredibly well for large drivers from 20-80 Hz.

Your comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
278 Posts
If I were you I’d probably be looking at dual rythmik f18’s or fv18’s. If I had to stick to rel I would look at their new 212 subwoofer, acfually two of them..... but man that’s some $$$

Reactions: Soulburner

·
Registered
833 Posts
Just bought 2 x S/212SX.

Considered 4 of the s812 but they are a bit wider than I preferred. If they work out I will add 2 more or maybe a 6 pack s812 at the rear of room.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Just bought 2 x S/212SX.

Considered 4 of the s812 but they are a bit wider than I preferred. If they work out I will add 2 more or maybe a 6 pack s812 at the rear of room.

And what do you think of the dual S/212SX setup? How big is your room and what speakers did you pair them with? Did you do corner placement like REL recommends or ?

·
Registered
833 Posts
And what do you think of the dual S/212SX setup? How big is your room and what speakers did you pair them with? Did you do corner placement like REL recommends or ?
5200cf

They havent arrived yet and I think calibration of my new system will happen in 14 days or so. Need to install speakers, screen, acoustic panels etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone. I am currently in a process of selecting my new floorstanding speakers and I am strongly inclined to the idea of accompanying them with one REL S812 (as I've read that adding sub is greatly benefitial even for music alone, plus even if it wasn't I sure could benefit from it in movies / games).

Considering that most "music" ends at about 30Hz (yes there is pipe organ, electronic music and even grand piano which can go below, however most musical instruments live above 30Hz) and considering that bass response of most "good" floor standig speakers is flat until 35 - 45Hz can the effect of adding REL subwoofer to such floorstainding speakers still significantly enhance musical experience of the "typical music" (that is 30Hz and above?)
Clearly the pipe organ music will be significantly enhanced which is a welcome benefit, however I am really interested to know what to expect from the "typical" > 30Hz music. Could it still provide benefit of "bigger" more "real" sound?

That is because I suspect I would need to crossover the sub at around 40Hz or so when using high level input on the REL. Does crossover at around 40Hz still provide significant improvement in the >30Hz music? (i.e. if high level input crosoover is set to 40Hz then the sub is effectively contributing only to maybe 50Hz or so? That is until it starts to roll off and blend with the main speakers)

My other question would be - is it guaranted that the REL will be able to integrate "smoothly" with the main speakers, even if for example the REL crossover slope and main speaker rolloff slope are different? Seems to me that it's mathematically impossible without some sort of EQ - or am I missing something? Yet in the official REL materials this is never highlighted as potential problem nor do they provide adjustable crossover slope (in fact the actual crossover roll off slope in REL subs is never mentioned in tech spec and is nearly impossible to find)

1181 - 1200 of 1202 Posts