AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS tonight.

Wow.

More of the all the same elements that made FoTR so great -- and even better.

This is the first sequel I've ever seen that really "felt" EXACTLY like the original (likely due to the the fact that they were filmed back-to-back). Felt like stepping right back into a very real world.

***SPOILER ALERT***

FX, esp. CGI are even better than in FoTR. The opening, showing EXACTLY what happened between Gandalf and the Balrog is absolutely amazing; I never dreamed we'd get to see this, nor that such a scene could be so well-realized on film.

Gollum is also very well done: CGI modelling, movement, voice are all perfect. You alternately laugh at, fear, and pity him (as you should). The "Tree Shephard" was well done too -- and I loved the greater variety of (and deeper) Orc characterizations.

I like that Gimli gets a bit more screen time this go-around, and his character is more fleshed-out. Viggo Mortensen also gives Aragorn much greater depth and dimension. Surprisingly, Frodo does not command the majority of screen time this time.

The overall "rhythm" of the film is quite a bit different than the first, however: rather than "exposition, battle, exposition, battle, exposition, battle" etc. (as in FoTR)......it's a long build-up in the first half, and an absolutely monumental battle for most of the second. Hang in there -- it's worth the wait.

I'm too overwhelmed (and tired) right now; will write more later.

If there were a word to describe my disappointment upon viewing the recent STAR WARS prequels, my feelings about the achievement of LoTR:TTT would be that word's antonym.

The film seamlessly integrates with, extends, matches, and exceeds its predecessor.

DC

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Sounds like it's all that I thought it was gonna be. I guess this will be the second film I've been willing to go to the theater to see in the last decade. I can't wait for the DVD so I can do two thirds of the eventual 'Ring Cycle' we'll be able to do when they are all out.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
DC, we want you to know that YOU SUCK for seeing before everybody else! :D

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
DC you bas***d. I hate you.

;)

The best I can come up with is tickets to an 11:59 showing on Dec 17'th. At least it sounds like I won't be going to work the next morning half asleep and also disappointed. I will deal with the sleep part. I can't wait, I am getting tired of running that quicktime clip of the previews trailer from the web site.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Although technically LOTR:TTT may be a movie sequel to LOTR:FOTR, in fact, there is just one long story, the three books are not a trilogy, they are simply manageably-sized volumes. The proper way to view the three films when complete will be in a single day and with two breaks between films.

The three movies could not have been filmed any other way and to his credit Jackson realized this up front. Actors would have visibly aged or died or turned down repeat roles, forcing re-casting - continuity would have been severely compromised.

Accepting the premise that this film is incrementally better than the last (it should be, with more time and money for post-production), I wonder if it will win any awards - it still suffers from the stigma of not being a Hollywood production.

Gary

·
Registered
208 Posts
I think it will not win any 'prestige' awards. I think it will win the technical ones easy, and likely music.

I think that PJ will have to prove him self three stinking times to get one statue. Although, it will be fitting, since He's said its all one big movie anyway. I think awarding one best picture and best director oscar to Peter Jackson and his Lord of the Rings will be seen as awarding all three, so it stands to reason that they will wait until they are all out.

Come to think of it it would get kind of silly to see three years in a row: Best picture: Lord of the Rings.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
This is now the official review thread for the Lord of The Rings: The Two Towers. There will be another thread for the DVD, when that comes out. All reviews for The Two Towers should go here. I will close or merge new threads that do otherwise. Don't take it personally, ok? :) If you feel your post should have it's own separate thread, send me a PM and I'll consider your reason why.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Quote:
Accepting the premise that this film is incrementally better than the last (it should be, with more time and money for post-production), I wonder if it will win any awards - it still suffers from the stigma of not being a Hollywood production.
Perhaps best foreign film? I agree that hollywood doesn't have enough class to give it the recognition it deserves.

Michael

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mbpg
Perhaps best foreign film? I agree that hollywood doesn't have enough class to give it the recognition it deserves.

Michael
One of the main criteria for foreign film nomination is that the film has to be in a foreign language for most of the movie. Now if everyone in the film spoke Elvish for at least 2.5 hours, it would sorta qualify as a foreign film.

fuad

·
Registered
447 Posts
Watched the extended version of FOTR on Saturday for the first time then saw TTT yesterday afternoon at a pre-release benefit.

Thought the extended version of FOTR was much better from a storyline and character development perspective than the theatrical release (I have not read any of the books and I thought the extended version was more coherent, the theatrical release felt at times like it was running a check list of places and events to hit without sufficient story to hold it and its characters together).

As for my thoughts of TTT, here are a few quick impressions:

As with FOTR, the look of the film is incredible -- cinematography, detail, visual impact.

The characters from FOTR get fleshed out much more as well as the relationship/history between men and elves.

The battle for Helms Deep is spectacular (as are all of the action sequences).

The CGI for Gollum is extremely convincing. A lot of the film is spent on him, the psychological effect of the ring on him and increasingly on Frodo, and on Frodo's growing empathy for Gollum.

Unlike FOTR whose story line principally followed Frodo and his companions, TTT follows separate storylines for each group of the fellowship (the film would follow one group for a while then cut to another group and then to another). The film has a different feel/rythym than FOTR for that reason.

For me the film dragged a bit when dealing with the world of men and their corruptibility. It seemed that most of the new characters introduced were men and they are less than compelling.

More time is spent on the relationship btwn Aragorn and Arwen then I cared for (I'm not a fan of Liv so that may have played a part). Aragorn seems to receive supernatural benefit from Arwen on a few occasions while at the same time a love triangle is being set up with the daughter of the Rohan (sp?) king. I wasn't sure what the point of this side story was but maybe it's relevant to ROTK (though the obvious would be that Aragorn and her become king and queen of a peaceful middle earth).

Also the film is a little heavy handed in its theme of technology/industry bad, pastoralism/agrarianism good. I also thought there were too many scenes with the tree farmers (forgot what they're called). Dramatic and critical scenes are set up only to have the momentum stalled by a cut to the tree droaning on and on to Mary and Pippin about the distruction of the natural world.

I am curious if the success of the first film affected the post production of TTT. Would PJ have cut TTT the same if he had done the post production work for all three films at the same time prior to release, i.e., without any audience/critical reaction?

Enjoyed the film but I'm not sure if I will go again to see it in the theaters or wait until it comes out on DVD.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Merged.

You can use the spoiler tag to cover up spoilers for the movie. Here is the tag [ spoiler ] spoilers here [ / spoiler ]. Just remove the spaces in the brackets and the forward slash and it will look like this:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) spoilers here
Don't forget, if your comments contain spoilers, you should warn people ahead of time that spoilers are coming, whether or not you use the spoiler tag.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
Gee, I can't imagine there will be more than a few comments on this movie once it opens tomorrow at midnight. The first DVD and EE release only brought in a few comments.

:D

Larry

Thanks for merging the threads and showing how to do the spoiler covers.

So many of us have read the books, though, it is probably which scenes are included, and the special effects used, not just the plot that people need to 'cover up' as spoilers. I for one, would appreciate it if people would keep comments on some of the special effects (which often give away what scenes made the movie) and particular scenes, along with the plot details, hidden so as not to spoil it all. Most of us already know how the plot ends. I hope people can at least do this for a few days until people have a chance to see the film. Thanks in advance to everyone for cooperating.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Well, I found FOTR to be on the boring side. But I must admit, the new TV commercial showing the goodies definitely makes this film look like what I wanted FOTR to be. An all out action/fantasy film. Hopefully, there's far less wandering aimlessly from place to place in TTT, and much more emphasis on action. From the looks of it, this one has me excited.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Those of us that purchased the Extended Edition of The Fellowship of the Ring should have one free admission pass to The Two Towers included with the set.

The free pass is only good for this month...so unless you plan on keeping this as part of your collection...grab those passes!

Howie

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Quote:
Hopefully, there's far less wandering aimlessly from place to place in TTT, and much more emphasis on action. From the looks of it, this one has me excited.
I think that they made Speed I, II, and so on for you. I'll take my LOTR the way it was written, thanks.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Quote:
I think that they made Speed I, II, and so on for you. I'll take my LOTR the way it was written, thanks.

LOL! Whatever. I think maybe a chill pill is in order.;)

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Glade

More time is spent on the relationship btwn Aragorn and Arwen then I cared for .
Hmmmmmm ..... Arwen isn't in TTT. It will be interesting

to see how Jackson egregiously stuffs her where she does

not belong. It was done with taste in FOTR, this will be more

interesting.

Doug McDonald

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
Well, Peter Jackson is on his way to knocking George Lucas off his high horse as the greatest Trilogy maker yet.

The film was magnificent. Beautifully filmed, totally integrated special effects characters, and a great story. The cinematography was just incredible. New Zealand must be fantastic place to visit and explore.

Three different stories were seamlessly woven together throughout. Battle and gore throughout.

The final battle on the two fronts was one of the best battle scenes I've ever seen. The enchanted trees were amazing!

A little slow in the middle of the film, it builds at a tepid pace and then explodes at the end.

This was a sneak preview through New Line and Maxim magazine. According to the New Line rep, this was the first sneak preview in the world. Pretty good for little Birmingham, Michigan.

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Hurry to see it! Three hours worth of great fantasy.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 130 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.