AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 3294 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://blog.roku.com/blog/2013/03/05/introducing-roku-3-video/
Quote:
It’s a great day for TV lovers. Today, we’re excited to introduce the new, fully loaded Roku 3 – our fastest, most powerful streaming player to-date. From an intuitive new interface to an enhanced remote with built-in headphone jack for private listening, the all-new Roku 3 was designed with you in mind.

Clocking in at over five times faster than our previous players, the Roku 3 will get you to your favorite movies and TV shows in a flash. Even better, the Enhanced Remote with an integrated headphone jack makes it easy to enjoy TV time anytime. Just plug in the included in-ear headphones and Roku instantly switches audio to the headphones while muting your TV speakers. It’s that simple. Now you can turn up those late-night Breaking Bad marathons without waking the whole family!

In the spirit of simplicity, the new Roku interface features a streamlined layout to provide quicker access and greater visibility – especially if you have many channels installed. The Roku Channel Store and Search are now fully integrated into the home screen, and both have been redesigned with our new on-screen experience. Over 750+ channels are available on Roku, and it’s easier than ever to find that perfect movie or show in our updated Roku Channel Store.

Check out the new Roku experience in action:

The new interface debuts on the Roku 3 and will automatically roll out as a free software update in April to all Roku 2 models, Roku HD (model 2500), Roku LT and the Roku Streaming Stick.

The Roku 3 is available now for $99.99 in the U.S. through Roku.com, Amazon.com and several other leading online retailers. It will be available at major retail chains beginning in April.

At Roku, we strive to make TV watching as enjoyable as it can be – and we do that by delivering useful innovation, like a convenient private listening mode or an incredibly simple, intuitive interface. We don’t believe in tech for tech’s sake. We’re not going to make you shout or gesture at your TV. We just want to bring you the best TV experience, and we’re extremely proud of the Roku 3.

You’ll find more information about the Roku 3, including product features and specifications, right here: http://www.roku.com/why-its-cool

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
like ive posted all over the place, i hope they fix the RGB output on this version!

·
Registered
389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1  /t/1461986/official-roku-3-streaming-player-theard#post_23049114

like ive posted all over the place, i hope they fix the RGB output on this version!

+1.

At least give us the option of YCbCr like in the original Roku.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
This is the official "theard"?

I sent a notice to the mods requesting a correction to the title (sorry if the misspelling was intentional
).

·
Registered
325 Posts
Two on the way! The remote ear buds were the the biggest thing to drive me to replace both current Rokus. The ability to blast a loud as I like at 4 in the morning is a game changer. I have used wireless headphones but they're too much trouble and I hated the size of the things.

·
Answer Seeking / Sharing
NHT, PSA, Denon, Emotiva, Niles, Sony, Oppo, Roku, Alienware, Mac, Rega, Akai, Parasound, Nakamichi
2,004 Posts
Ordered mine - if much better than the Roku2 XS, then I'll get more and off-load the XS's somewhere...

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I really really don't need another unit..........................but I'm in for one

·
Answer Seeking / Sharing
NHT, PSA, Denon, Emotiva, Niles, Sony, Oppo, Roku, Alienware, Mac, Rega, Akai, Parasound, Nakamichi
2,004 Posts
I did also and gave in. Have 6 XS but really want to check the 3 out.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Sadly they Amazon did not ship mine on the 6th. I think maybe they've become hip to the fact that shipping with ONTRAC from one point to another in the western region is always overnight, so if they're going to ship that way they take their time
. Oh well, it'll be here on Friday.

·
Registered
754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott  /t/1461986/official-roku-3-streaming-player-thread#post_23050957

Sadly they Amazon did not ship mine on the 6th. I think maybe they've become hip to the fact that shipping with ONTRAC from one point to another in the western region is always overnight, so if they're going to ship that way they take their time
. Oh well, it'll be here on Friday.

Are you sure? I order a decent amount of stuff from Amazon and I noticed that they sometimes lag on updating their shipping status. I will see no status updates and then the item is at my door. Either way, Friday is tomorrow.

On another note, we went out to dinner for my and my wife's birthday last night. I got an Amazon gift card and she got a BB gift card. If that's not a sign, I don't know what is.

·
Registered
8,758 Posts
I am in for a 4th. Also for the new Time Warner Cable app.

·
Registered
754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J  /t/1461986/official-roku-3-streaming-player-thread#post_23051062

I am in for a 4th. Also for the new Time Warner Cable app.

Does anyone know what the benefit of this app is for the cable company? I have Cablevision/Optimum and, if they ever come out with this app, I'll be all over it. If it works anything like the iPad app, I will be able to remove any extra cable boxes from my account and watch the same exact programming with the Roku.

·
Registered
8,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctego  /t/1461986/official-roku-3-streaming-player-thread#post_23051069

Does anyone know what the benefit of this app is for the cable company? I have Cablevision/Optimum and, if they ever come out with this app, I'll be all over it. If it works anything like the iPad app, I will be able to remove any extra cable boxes from my account and watch the same exact programming with the Roku.

It is pretty much like the iPad app - no locals. Better for another thread but the short version is the FCC has ruled the cable companies can take anyway analog (already lost the Golf channel on TWC) and QAM channels with certain conditions so TWC has come up with this app. Not the "same exact programming" so far though - missing locals, Weather channel, ESPN. The less analog channels the more junk digital stuff the cable companies can add.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I'm pretty excited about the remote with audio out. Does anyone know how that works? I read that it uses wifi, so I'm hoping we can get rid of IR commands if the remote connects to the network.

·
Registered
20,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scl23enn4m3  /t/1461986/official-roku-3-streaming-player-thread#post_23051143

I'm pretty excited about the remote with audio out. Does anyone know how that works? I read that it uses wifi, so I'm hoping we can get rid of IR commands if the remote connects to the network.

It says over wifi, probably much like the apps for the deifferent devices do.....That doesnt mean that the remote itself works over wifi however ;-)

·
Registered
678 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scl23enn4m3  /t/1461986/official-roku-3-streaming-player-thread#post_23051143

Hopefully I'm not violating my NDA at this point..

The remote works great. When i first recieved it in I thought it was kind of gimmicky, cool but no real practicality to it. Well my wife happened to be reading something on the couch and when i told her "Go upstairs and read in bed woman, I want to watch this movie" Well as you can imagine that did not work out so well, so I started to use them. They are actually quite nice in a situation where you want to watch something another person in the room does not, or if you want to listen to music/podcast without disturbing anyone.

I found that if I played some music I could sit and listen to it while my wife watched TV and switched the input over to the satellite box.

The remote itself does not connect to the network, it does however use WiFi/bluetooth of some sort, im not 100%. The roku box has a built in wifi antenna that broadcasts, I have a feeling this is what connects with the remote.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
I'm frankly a bit disappointed. I know Roku is focused on online streaming video services, but the fact that it can't stream from a local NAS or other DLNA device, and has very limited audio codec support for music files, means that along with my Roku 2 XD - which I do love, BTW - I'm forced to use an additional streaming device in my setup.

New interface looks cool though.

- Mark

1 - 20 of 3294 Posts