AVS Forum banner

2301 - 2320 of 3294 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
I spent an enormous amount of time and money trying to find the ultimate perfect hi-def video and audio. It started with being in the HD-DVD camp way back when and then moving over to Blu-ray. Tweaking every little thing and never being completely satisfied. One day I just stopped. It just isn't worth the effort and when you want to watch a movie that's not in your physical library, it's available online. No waiting on it to come from Netflix. Is it as good as a Blu-ray in an OPPO? No but, "it's good enough" (actually pretty close now) and getting better everyday.

Now if we can just get a Roku (4?) that passes HD Audio so I can enjoy my Blu-rays on my server without having another box. I can dream.
Depending on many variables such as your home LAN, the player you're using, your internet service, your AV equipment, etc., etc., the video quality can be OK to very good - and the gap is closing, but it's still lacking when compared directly to BD's. The difference in sound quality of lossless codecs available for BD versus streaming from online is not even close. I, like you, have spent a pretty good amount of time, money and effort to get very good VQ and AQ in my home. I never use my TV's speakers - choosing to have the better SQ my AV system provides even when watching TV.

'Good enough' is very subjective- and everyone has their own opinion. But for me, it's virtually never "good enough" for watching movies and concerts.

Even so, I know that convenience will eventually win. It's too bad really.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
'Good enough' is very subjective- and everyone has their own opinion. But for me, it's virtually never "good enough" for watching movies and concerts.

It's more than good enough for the masses and catering to them is where the real money is. Discs will become AV-ophile niche products, similar to vinyl audio recordings and I'm unsure whether 4K discs will make it off the launch pad. We'll see.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Question gentleman....

I have Roku 3's all over my house. I love how fast and easy it is to use. Now my wife wants to me wall-mount a TV in our formal living room and I'd like to have a Roku 3 in there as well.

I bought a recessed outlet similar to this one:

I was dry fitting everything together when I realized that the wall wart adapter from the Roku 3, when plugged in, will still stick out past the wall a good inch or so - not allowing me to use a slim fit wall mount for the TV.

Is there a different style (in-line?) or smaller adapter I could use, or am I forced to use the Roku stick in a situation like this.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Do you already have the wall mount TV? It likely makes room in back for connections.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
How about if you put the block on top the TV and run an extension?

·
Registered
37 Posts
How about if you put the block on top the TV and run an extension?
That is one possibility yes, but if the block is visible at all my wife will be cranky...it has to have WAF (wife approval factor)!

If I can find a 5.2v in line adapter I can just wrap up any extra cord and push the block "inside" the open space in the recessed outlet.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
I doubt it will be visible at some height plus already 3/4" plus TV width. Besides her idea for wall mounted.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
That is an option but the stick doesn't perform as well as the 3...

I've recently read an owner claiming that his Roku HDMI Stick performs as well as his Roku 3 (here in the forums at Roku's site), though I find it hard to believe. Netflix and Roku worked hard to find a solution which makes Netflix start very quickly on either.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
It's more than good enough for the masses and catering to them is where the real money is. Discs will become AV-ophile niche products, similar to vinyl audio recordings and I'm unsure whether 4K discs will make it off the launch pad. We'll see.
With manufacturers overly anxious to ram 4K TV sets down everyone's throat, and actually being able to get 4K images into the home consistently over cable, or satellite, or even streaming (for now) is still a ways away, 4K disks seem to be the best option to retain some sort of quality. The usual chicken and egg thing.

The current state of 4K delivery over H.265 is, by the way, pathetic. It is just HD with more pixels. It continues to be squeezed by H.265 into the puny REC-709 color space, 4:2:0 sampling (that's where colors are made up from math), 8 bit compressed trash. I shoot and monitor wide color space REC-2020 (relatively) uncompressed 4K images on a regular basis with high end cameras and monitors, and what is seen on set is several universes away from what people can see at home.

It's truly unfortunate that every time standards change and we have the opportunity to make things better, we always opt for quantity over quality, catering, as you said, to the masses. Video is a high volume business.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am having an issue with my Roku 3 and am wondering if anyone can offer advice.

I have a Sony VPL-VW70 projector. Generally speaking it works great. I am having an issue with my Roku 3 though. For all my sources the display is fine, full 1080p no problem. However with the Roku 3, when it is set to output 1080p the projector displays what looks like a 4/3 standard def picture. Switching the Roku to 720p and it works fine. All other sources 1080p is fine. Its just 1080p on the Roku that somehow gets wrecked. The 1080p from the Roku works fine when connected to my HDTV.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
I am having an issue with my Roku 3 and am wondering if anyone can offer advice.

I have a Sony VPL-VW70 projector. Generally speaking it works great. I am having an issue with my Roku 3 though. For all my sources the display is fine, full 1080p no problem. However with the Roku 3, when it is set to output 1080p the projector displays what looks like a 4/3 standard def picture. Switching the Roku to 720p and it works fine. All other sources 1080p is fine. Its just 1080p on the Roku that somehow gets wrecked. The 1080p from the Roku works fine when connected to my HDTV.

Any thoughts?
You don't mention whether you are routing the Roku 3 through an AVR. Have you tried the Roku 3 directly to the projector? At first glance it would seem to be a problem with the EDID detection.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You don't mention whether you are routing the Roku 3 through an AVR. Have you tried the Roku 3 directly to the projector? At first glance it would seem to be a problem with the EDID detection.
Thanks for the input Mr. G, this actually did lead me to the right solution. I do have an AVR, and I actually also have a HDMI splitter in line as well. What tripped me up was that I have tested them all in sequence and had no problems when I set the system up. But reading about EDID and re walking through the connections led me to the actual culprit. A while back I added an older HDTV to the system via the HDMI splitter and that TV did not support 1080p, only 720p and 1080i. So, my other sources would query and settle on highest resolution of 1080i and I wouldnt notice. But the roku can only do 720p and 1080p so when I forced the roku into 1080p, the old HDTV (which is turned off 99% of the time)would barf and everything on the splitter would get downconverted to 480.

All solved now, thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What is the simplest way to get my ROKU streaming to a second and/or third TV? I just want to watch the same thing on all TV's. I would like to do this wirelessly.

2301 - 2320 of 3294 Posts