AVS Forum banner

2441 - 2460 of 3294 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Heads up if you haven't seen it yet. Plex has a new UI coming for Roku and it is a HUGE step forward. It's available as a preview for Plex Pass members. It's not fully functional yet but, even in it's current state it is miles better. I was going to replace my Roku's as soon as the FireTV got multichannel capability but, this stopped me in my tracks on that thinking.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
oh important footnote.

·
Premium Member
8,418 Posts
Hey guys

I just purchased a Roku 2 on CL sale for $20 bucks, so far I'm quite impress by it, love the fact it's wireless makes things so much easier to connect etc.

I was wondering if I would benefit from getting a Roku 3, or not worth it? I do have a HTPC with MKv files, which I just noticed it being mentioned on here! Not sure how would implement that into the Roku/2 or 3.

Thanks

Djoel

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Anyone heard any rumors about the next Roku? Seems like it's been awhile since the 3 arrived, technology-wise anyway.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Anyone heard any rumors about the next Roku? Seems like it's been awhile since the 3 arrived, technology-wise anyway.
I have been waiting for an upgrade for awhile now.

Hoping it will have 2.0 HDMI, RCA audio out

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
will do 4k

·
Registered
693 Posts
Heads up if you haven't seen it yet. Plex has a new UI coming for Roku and it is a HUGE step forward. It's available as a preview for Plex Pass members. It's not fully functional yet but, even in it's current state it is miles better. I was going to replace my Roku's as soon as the FireTV got multichannel capability but, this stopped me in my tracks on that thinking.
I installed it last night and think it is a fantastic improvement. This resolved one of my big gripes with the Roku experience and the upcoming Tablo channel redesign will resolve the other one.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Suggestions on the following - first setup with roku 3 and media browser server.

Roku 3 is pausing while playback saying loading - sometimes it will kick out for a second and continue other times it will buffer than playback.

Setup:

Wired Roku 3 ---- switch ----- VM server with mb3 server ------ server with movies
The vm is Windows 7 with 4 cores and 4 gigs of ram

The below is settings on Roku 3 and CPU usage on the Windows 7 VM when playing back video.

Mbps HD - CPU Usage
3.2 - 90%
2.5 - 70%
2 - 70%

·
Registered
2,089 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Is additional memory needed?

I just received my Roku 3 and noticed a memory slot.

I checked with Roku Support and they said 2 GB. I asked if I could use an 8 GB, no it will cause problems. So I ask you, anyone adding more memory and how much?

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
The additional memory is only used to contain code for channels. I wouldn't add it until it complained that it needed it; the internal memory should be fine for the great majority of users.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I just received my Roku 3 and noticed a memory slot.

I checked with Roku Support and they said 2 GB. I asked if I could use an 8 GB, no it will cause problems. So I ask you, anyone adding more memory and how much?
I was having problems with it recognizing a SanDisk 8 GB, and ended up installing a PNY 32 GB without any problems at all, which per their live chat support is the maximum size.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Looks like MCEBuddy will do that. Was that it?
Ok, here is where I stand. I am able to record to MCE. I am trying to download MCEBuddy, but my anti virus protection keeps quarantining the file, saying it is a trojan. This is my final step to being able to stream recorded live TV through the ROKU 3. I have an e-mail into the developer, but was hoping some one here may have run into this. I would like to have this all settled before I go back to work on Monday morning.

·
Registered
693 Posts
If you know the file is not a virus, just override your AV and load it.

2441 - 2460 of 3294 Posts