AVS Forum banner

381 - 400 of 2667 Posts

·
Registered
33,434 Posts
Well technically the R4 would allow you also to play 4K media files that are not compatible with your TV as well. If you are deep into the apple ecosystem and don't care that it doesn't offer 4K then the ATV may very well be better for you.

Sent from nowhere
Yes, 'technically' the R4 plays 4K media files...technically. In reality, at least on my setup, my 4K projects shot with the Sony A7Rii do not play on the Roku. It says 'loading' but never gets out of the loading mode. These same projects play fine via the USB input on my Sony TV. So I'm not even sure if that aspect of the R4 is of much use.

I'm getting the feeling this thing was rushed to market before getting a thorough QC.

·
Registered
33,434 Posts
Me personally give it 5 out of 5 bars.... I love it. Does everything I want it to do it's fast and so far a great experience I even got it to mirror my laptop screen very satisfied here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Buck, what display are you using? UHD or HD?

It would be useful if those commenting on issues or general performance, would indicate if they're using it on an HD or UHD display. Most issues thus far are for UHD displays.

·
Premium Member
12,488 Posts
Man, I just went ahead and unpacked this 4, had no idea it was that large LOL.

Reactions: reddice and aaronwt

·
Registered
20,420 Posts
Yes, 'technically' the R4 plays 4K media files...technically. In reality, at least on my setup, my 4K projects shot with the Sony A7Rii do not play on the Roku. It says 'loading' but never gets out of the loading mode. These same projects play fine via the USB input on my Sony TV. So I'm not even sure if that aspect of the R4 is of much use.

I'm getting the feeling this thing was rushed to market before getting a thorough QC.

I should know more next week when mine comes in. I have a USB stick filled with various H264/H265 4K files as well as other media.

Sent from nowhere

·
Registered
47 Posts
Buck, what display are you using? UHD or HD?

It would be useful if those commenting on issues or general performance, would indicate if they're using it on an HD or UHD display. Most issues thus far are for UHD displays.

I have it connected to a vizio 55 inch UHD 4K tv

·
Registered
436 Posts
Man, I just went ahead and unpacked this 4, had no idea it was that large LOL.
I have the same display as you. When you can, let us know of your impressions.:)

Thanks

Al

Reactions: gadgtfreek

·
Registered
33,434 Posts
I should know more next week when mine comes in. I have a USB stick filled with various H264/H265 4K files as well as other media.

Sent from nowhere
One of the reviews (CNET?) mentioned that he couldn't get H264 files to play either, but could with H265. That strikes me as very odd, but apparently may be true, as generally H265 is more problematic for playback.

I have it connected to a vizio 55 inch UHD 4K tv

Thanks buck. Did you play true 4K files from Amazon, Netflix or Vudu? If so, did you not notice any shift toward the magenta, particularly noticeable with flesh tones?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Played Netflix honestly it's looked pretty damn good but really didn't notice anything particular other then a stunning picture

·
Registered
20,420 Posts
One of the reviews (CNET?) mentioned that he couldn't get H264 files to play either, but could with H265. That strikes me as very odd, but apparently may be true, as generally H265 is more problematic for playback.

Thanks buck. Did you play true 4K files from Amazon, Netflix or Vudu? If so, did you not notice any shift toward the magenta, particularly noticeable with flesh tones?

I think for many (now) HEVC is "easier" since that's what is also used for streaming. Of course if you meant H264 then I agree ;)

For your Magenta issue have you reached out to Katz or someone else? I didn't see him mention it and usually he is one that would. He's usually pretty good at testing things, so you may want to see if he'll test it out for you.

Sent from nowhere

·
Registered
1,446 Posts

I have mine on "Auto Shut Off" after 30 minutes. I just checked it and it is cool to the touch - - basically room temperature. Even when it was operating - - it wasn't that hot.

My Roku 4 is out in the open on my wood cabinet where my large center speaker rests. I can tell when it's off because the indicator light on my AVR (Pioneer SC65) turns off.

So - - why are folks commenting that the unit gets hot and even stays warm/hot after shut off? Do you have your Roku in a sealed cabinet? Is it getting enough air flow? What is it sitting on? Kind of confusing to have various experiences, heat wise.
I have mine in a large open back rack. It is very cool in there. Heat does not build up at all.
With the Roku 4 unplugged, the temp reads 72.9F.
You can't tell accurately how hot something is by touching it. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference in temperature of a an object that is between 72-85F by touching it. 117F does not feel that hot. It is noticeably very warm. And the area that is actually 117 is very small. My AVR runs between 89-94. The top of my Tivo is 95F in the hottest spot.
I will try the auto shut off and do measurements with in IR thermometer.
Edit: 87.3F in standby which feels cool to the touch.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Well it's time to say goodbye to the R4. Tried to use the onboard media player today without success. It saw my network drive all the way to the MP4 files but would not play them. I then took a USB thumb drive with the MP4 files on it and plugged it into the R4. Saw the files but again will not play them :(. These are files that play fine on my X850C & my computer. Enough is enough as it appears this was rushed out because of the new Apple TV and FireTV. Not ready for prime time!!
Wish all of you the best luck with yours.
Signing off, Gerry

·
Registered
738 Posts
Well it's time to say goodbye to the R4. Tried to use the onboard media player today without success. It saw my network drive all the way to the MP4 files but would not play them. I then took a USB thumb drive with the MP4 files on it and plugged it into the R4. Saw the files but again will not play them :(. These are files that play fine on my X850C & my computer. Enough is enough as it appears this was rushed out because of the new Apple TV and FireTV. Not ready for prime time!!
Wish all of you the best luck with yours.
Signing off, Gerry
I don't know that your expectations are in line with what the Roku was designed for.

·
Premium Member
4,035 Posts
Rico, I'm assuming you don't have a 4K display? Although I haven't tested HD yet, it seems some that have tested both only see the color issue with 4K content. That's the only way I've used mine and that may be why I see the magenta issue.
Ken - right you are. No 4K use for my Roku 4 which is being used for 1080p only. That might explain the difference. I always learn from your posts so I have no doubt in what you say regarding the color.

I do not know if the issue is with the Roku 4 or with certain TV sets.

I have only one 4K TV (Vizio M43-C1) and I use the native apps to stream 4K material with no problems so far. Interestingly enough, the Vizio set sees my 5Ghz modem where as the connection downstairs does not see the 5Ghz modem and uses Channel 1, 2.4 Ghz. I'm not sure if this makes any difference as I am getting 64 Mbps speed in the basement via 2.4 Ghz.

I've seen many reviews on 4K media streamers that indicate to me that this technology is still new and has some kinks to iron out. If it's a software or firmware update - then great...a potential fix could be on the way. If not, I can understand folks returning product.

Reactions: Ken Ross

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Edge of Tomorrow on VUDU looks awesome and the Atmos sounds amazing...

Sure, it's not perfect, but WOW.

Now I am REALLY excited for HD Blu Ray :grin:

·
Registered
8,820 Posts
My journey so far.

Pre Pro Marantz 8802a, Samsung JS9500.

Roku wouldn't output picture when I first tried it on the Samsung. Black screen... Then the Tv said no source input...

Changed it to the input with my Directv 4K set top box (to try a different cable and input on the Marantz...)

No go.

Took the box into the bedroom... Fired right up on my 1080p LCD.... Did the software upgrade and took it back into the 4K room.

Booted to the Rolu logo... Then black screen for minutes... 5. Then the home screen.

Changed to 4K. Got the 2.2 error. Tried three times. No go.

Unplugged. Restart.

Could switch to 4K now.

The tried to switch to 4K 10bit.

Black screen and a lockup. I pushed the button to not accept the change, but the unit was locked up black screen.

Unplugged again.

4K selected on reboot. All working well so far.

It seems flaky for sure. Hope they get the stability going for 4K.

Seems like maybe they just wanted to beat Apple to market....

·
Premium Member
12,488 Posts
Hilarious they couldnt seem get the 2.2 stuff right before release, since it is actually a UHD player...

When I preordered I kinda figured it would be messy, products just do not get released 100% anymore.

Reactions: oneeyeblind

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Just a quick question how is the wifi speed for everyone? I'm getting ready to update my router to a Wireless ac router.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Ken,

After reseting my Sony XBR65X900A to factory settings. None of the software uodates were changed. HDMI4 port is still HDCP 2.2 and worked immediately with ROKU4 in 4K.

I ran under the Sony Normal video settings for Home. The only change was Brightness from the default 7 to a 9 (1 under Max)

Ran Youtube 4K capable App and my latest personal made video looked like the way I edited it in Final Cut Pro on my iMac. No color changes.

Next, I played the free 4K Amazon Prime videos, like Bosch. They looked awesome with near perfect blacks.

Next, I played Time Warner Cable App on ROKU4 and the videos there looked even more stable than off my Time Warner Cable Box at HDMI2. I was surprised. The colors were somewhat lower lux with the ROKU4 Time Warner App versus the Cable Box but the picture seemed less digital and more like film.
I prefer the ROKU4 here.

Next, I played those Sony 4K demo loops off an USB stick and they looked exactly from what I remember back in 2013 at Best Buy. The 4K footage of After Earth with Will Smith was 2160p sharp, with 3D like qualities. The colors were tact perfect.
I am working on making a USB2 drive ready for further media player testing for 4K files.

I have not seen the color issues from yesterday. I will continue using the ROKU4 overnight.

BTW. Returned the Amazon 4K Fire today.

Billy, I'm not sure how the 900A works, but if I change the color space on a per input basis on the 940c, I need to power the TV on & off. To return to the original color space, I do the same cycling of the TV. I think as owners look at this carefully, they'll all see this color shift we're seeing.

·
Registered
33,434 Posts
I think for many (now) HEVC is "easier" since that's what is also used for streaming. Of course if you meant H264 then I agree ;)

For your Magenta issue have you reached out to Katz or someone else? I didn't see him mention it and usually he is one that would. He's usually pretty good at testing things, so you may want to see if he'll test it out for you.

Sent from nowhere
Ph8te, I did mean H264, since its been around for a while and you'd think that new products would have little problem playing it.

I posted in both the Roku forum as well as under David's review in the comments section. So hopefully it will gain some traction.

BTW, this isn't the first time a rather significant issue was missed by a reviewer. I noticed a cyan error on my Sharp Elite that escaped virtually every reviewer of that display. Once I posted it here on AVS, more owners here noticed it and it began to finally pop up in the video review media. I'm pretty anal and sensitive to color issues, so this hit me right away as it did Balthazar.

381 - 400 of 2667 Posts