AVS Forum banner

421 - 440 of 2667 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Anyone with a Denon x6200w and lg65ef6500 able to get 4K 10bit working? Tried different orders of boot up with no luck.
10 bit doesnt work yet.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I would have seriously considered the Apple TV but there is no Amazon Video app available. Sure, I could stream Amazon from my Blu-ray player or TV, but I prefer everything in one place! That is what made me decide on the Roku 4.
That is why I have a Kinivo 5 port switch with 4 devices connected. :D You need this to get all the apps that are missing on other devices.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Prior generation roku's never made personal media playback a priority. The lack of robust codec support is why many people use Plex instead in these instances. The 4, just like its predecessors, is a streaming player first and foremost and to expect it to handle local playback of MP4 and mkv files as well as a PC is not in line with what the Roku was designed for
Neither mine nor the preceding poster's criticism referred to exotic codecs. MP4 AND MKV are containers that usually contain straightforward AV content. Consumers expect a player to play properly what it advertises to support. This is a minimum level of expectation that any company's product is expected to deliver on and that cheap, six-year-old hardware media players are able to meet.

·
Registered
20,420 Posts
Neither mine nor the preceding poster's criticism referred to exotic codecs. MP4 AND MKV are containers that usually contain straightforward AV content. Consumers expect a player to play properly what it advertises to support. This is a minimum level of expectation that any company's product is expected to deliver on and that cheap, six-year-old hardware media players are able to meet.

Roku is a streaming device 1st as the other posted said. The local media playback is more of a "give", but as far as I have seen is not something widely supported. You can't compare a device which sole purpose to stream local media to the Roku. Streaming 1st devices come under different scrutiny and often are forced to hobble playback. If you want an example of devices that do both look what happened to Boxee. They had an extra hard time becoming a one box does it all.

If you are having playback issues, report them with details to Roku support/ the Roku official forum. Add media info and the different things that have been tried to troubleshoot the issue. I'll be able to test more than a handful of 4K and non 4K files next week when mine comes in and will report back on my findings.

Sent from nowhere

·
Registered
408 Posts
Ken,

I had to convert 4K H264 to 4K H265 files in order for the ROKU4 media player to work. Here, I noticed on the rght edge a bright border. Seems like a scaling problem.
This really spoil everything.
Looks like a deal killer for me as using the ROKU4 as 4K media player was my main objective. I have a large collection of 4K self made videos.
Even if ROKU fix the scaling issue, the fact i have to convert all my H264 authored videos to H265 takes too much time.

oh well.

Billy, no, I don't think I'll do that because every other component in my setup is working well and I have no desire to rock the boat. ;)

It's just the Roku that has this odd issue and it's not such a key component for me. I believe the issue is theirs and not ours. I'm a bit skeptical that it's a break-in issue since I've never seen a component like this that shifts its color with time.

BTW, I don't know if I mentioned it here, but I picked up a 2nd Roku4 and it exhibits exactly the same color issue.

:(

·
Registered
1,446 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Roku is a streaming device 1st as the other posted said. The local media playback is more of a "give", but as far as I have seen is not something widely supported. You can't compare a device which sole purpose to stream local media to the Roku. Streaming 1st devices come under different scrutiny and often are forced to hobble playback. If you want an example of devices that do both look what happened to Boxee. They had an extra hard time becoming a one box does it all.

If you are having playback issues, report them with details to Roku support/ the Roku official forum. Add media info and the different things that have been tried to troubleshoot the issue. I'll be able to test more than a handful of 4K and non 4K files next week when mine comes in and will report back on my findings.

Sent from nowhere

No free pass. Roku 4 advertises a quad-core processor and H.265/HEVC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV); VP9 (.MKV) support. Any reasonable person would expect a high level of performance based on these specs. To make things worse I am comparing it to 2010/2011 products that support both online streaming services and local media streaming/playback. Finally, locally stored MKVs etc contain audio and video "streams" that can be played locally or "streamed" across a local network so the whole streaming device argument is debatable and open for discussion.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I have the Roku 4 feeding a Lumagen Radiance Pro (Beta) to a Sony VW1100ES. It works great. I can view Netflix 4k, You Tube 4k, and San Andreas 4k/60 on Vudu with 7.1 audio. I have no issues so far. Both the Radiance and the projector verify the resolutions and frequency to be correct. My internet connection speed is 120mbps and there is very little lag in streaming 4k content.

·
Registered
20,420 Posts
No free pass. Roku 4 advertises a quad-core processor and H.265/HEVC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV); VP9 (.MKV) support. Any reasonable person would expect a high level of performance based on these specs. To make things worse I am comparing it to 2010/2011 products that support both online streaming services and local media streaming/playback. Finally, locally stored MKVs etc contain audio and video "streams" that can be played locally or "streamed" across a local network so the whole streaming device argument is debatable and open for discussion.

Oyeeee this is the last I'll discuss this, local network "streaming" is not what is meant by a streaming device. It is streaming internet sources such as NetFlix, Vudu, Amazon. If you want to twist that meaning to fit your argument then by all
means go ahead, but you'd be in the minority.

As far as playing local files. I'm not sure how many would expect "high level of performance" from a Roku. A decent performer sure, but saying I expect it to perform extremely well on local files would be fooling myself.

As I said, compile information and send it to Roku. That is your best bet. If others follow and make it a big deal then it is more likely to be fixed.

Sent from nowhere

·
Registered
20,420 Posts
Ken,

I had to convert 4K H264 to 4K H265 files in order for the ROKU4 media player to work. Here, I noticed on the rght edge a bright border. Seems like a scaling problem.

Looks like a deal killer for me as using the ROKU4 as 4K media player was my main objective. I have a large collection of 4K self made videos.

Even if ROKU fix the scaling issue, the fact i have to convert all my H264 authored videos to H265 takes too much time.

oh well.

William, I think it may be best if a thread is started over in the Roku forums. We'll need to compile tech data for Roku to analyze and give us an answer. You shouldn't have to convert based upon the listed specs, but only Roku will be able to give us the answers. It may also be good to get some small sample clips compiled so that they can test (if they ask).

Sent from nowhere

·
Registered
33,434 Posts
Prior generation roku's never made personal media playback a priority. The lack of robust codec support is why many people use Plex instead in these instances. The 4, just like its predecessors, is a streaming player first and foremost and to expect it to handle local playback of MP4 and mkv files as well as a PC is not in line with what the Roku was designed for
Except when the manufacturer very specifically states this in its specs:

USB Media Formats

Video: MP4 (H.264), MKV (H.264), HEVC (H.265)
Audio: MP3, Apple Lossless, WMA, AAC
Image: JPG, PNG, up to 4K UHD resolution

Seems pretty clear to me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nope that isn't true. Besides Mobile & PC, you can download your Vudu movies & TV show episodes on the PS3, LG BD590 Blu-ray player, WD TV Live Hub, The Original Vudu boxes, & maybe a couple of other devices.

Also with the new adoptive storage feature introduced in Android 6.0 Marshmellow, it's very likely if Vudu makes an Android TV app, it will support downloads.
Well, then I stand corrected. Thanks for the info.
The New android app supports offline download.

I know. So did the old Vudu Android App. I'm just saying I see no reason when/if Vudu releases a native Android TV app, why it couldn't support downloads.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
And they have been on a huge android development rip.
My phone is just aged out. They don't support the oldest ICS now

·
Registered
33,434 Posts
Ken,

oh well.
That's crazy, Billy. There's no way I'm converting all of my large collection of H264 4K material to H265 to make up for a failed support claim by Roku. If Roku can't 'really' play back H264, then it shouldn't show it as being supported via USB.

For me this wouldn't be a deal break since the 940c plays my H264 content perfectly. The magenta issue is something that's more important. I'll be calling tech support on Monday to see what they say.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've been in the market to finally buy a dedicated streaming device for first time ever for the last couple months.

Reading the last complaints about the Roku as a media player in the last couple pages in this thread is 1 of the big reasons why I never seriously considered getting a Roku despite it easily having the most amount of notable apps of any device on the market.

·
Registered
20,420 Posts
That's crazy, Billy. There's no way I'm converting all of my large collection of H264 4K material to H265 to make up for a failed support claim by Roku. If Roku can't 'really' play back H264, then it shouldn't show it as being supported via USB.

For me this wouldn't be a deal break since the 940c plays my H264 content perfectly. The magenta issue is something that's more important. I'll be calling tech support on Monday to see what they say.

Ken, can you start a thread in the Roku forums? I'll be happy to add what I find when I have my unit in to it and find it won't play files. Maybe if we can get some data gathered and have multiple people post results it will aid in getting answers.

Sent from nowhere

421 - 440 of 2667 Posts