AVS Forum banner

561 - 580 of 2667 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Has the 4K and 4K/10 bit setting been discussed yet? I looked through some previous posts on this thread but haven't seen anything. My LG 65UF8500 won't sync with the 4K/10 bit signal from the ROKU 4 even though I enabled deep color on my LG. I think the problem may be that the LG needs a 3480x2160/50 Hz signal and the ROKU 4 probably does a 60 HZ(?).

On the initial set up with the ROKU not being recognized as HDCP 2.2 Compliant - I had this happen but once you do the initial set up you just need to go back to the settings display menu and it will then accept the 4K.

I had to return my ROKU 4 for replacement yesterday for another problem - finder locator wouldn't work plus remote was acting real squirelly.
I'm curious as well, anyone?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Has the 4K and 4K/10 bit setting been discussed yet? I looked through some previous posts on this thread but haven't seen anything. My LG 65UF8500 won't sync with the 4K/10 bit signal from the ROKU 4 even though I enabled deep color on my LG. I think the problem may be that the LG needs a 3480x2160/50 Hz signal and the ROKU 4 probably does a 60 HZ(?).

On the initial set up with the ROKU not being recognized as HDCP 2.2 Compliant - I had this happen but once you do the initial set up you just need to go back to the settings display menu and it will then accept the 4K.

I had to return my ROKU 4 for replacement yesterday for another problem - finder locator wouldn't work plus remote was acting real squirelly.
I'm curious as well, anyone?
I think we gonna have to wait for a good ol firmware update for this along with other things. The Roku 3 wasn't without quirks @ launch & it became better after updates.

·
Registered
33,434 Posts
Unfortunately there's still no word from Roku on the color issue that manifests itself as a magenta-skewed 4K output.

I'll give them another week or two and then return it if nothing materializes in the way of a fix.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Unfortunately there's still no word from Roku on the color issue that manifests itself as a magenta-skewed 4K output.

I'll give them another week or two and then return it if nothing materializes in the way of a fix.
Ken, thanks so much for the update and to you and others (Balthazar) with your leadership on this issue. Much appreciated. :)

I noticed this magenta/red push issue especially when binge watching Longmire on Netflix on my Sony 4K display. Thought at first that the actors' faces were either badly suntanned or radioactive. :D

I also have a NVidia Shield and compared the 4K Netflix output from there. Much, much, much better.

I submitted a case to Roku on the issue over two days ago. Though a response was indicated in two days, so far all I've gotten was "radio silence."

Again, THANKS!

Reactions: Ken Ross

·
Registered
367 Posts
Gonna have to read this thread but i just wanted to say i love the roku 4.

I bought one, and within a day bought another for my second TV.

My only issue so far is HDMI CEC. I wish i could press home, have the TV/AVR switch inputs and be good to go. So far i havent been able to.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have opened up a detailed support case with Roku for my video quality problem when watching 1080p content with the Roku 4 Amazon app on a UHD TV. The Roku 4 is set to output UHD so it is upscaling the content.

If anybody else can test out the picture quality difference in dark scenes between the Amazon app on the Roku 4 and the app on the Vizio P60 or some other UHD capable device using 1080p content, I would appreciate it.

I have even filmed the difference and it is obvious; Roku 4 has much worse quality. I do not know if the upscaling is a problem, or if Amazon is sending Roku 4 an H.264 streams instead of HEVC, or something else.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I have opened up a detailed support case with Roku for my video quality problem when watching 1080p content with the Roku 4 Amazon app on a UHD TV. The Roku 4 is set to output UHD so it is upscaling the content.

If anybody else can test out the picture quality difference in dark scenes between the Amazon app on the Roku 4 and the app on the Vizio P60 or some other UHD capable device using 1080p content, I would appreciate it.

I have even filmed the difference and it is obvious; Roku 4 has much worse quality. I do not know if the upscaling is a problem, or if Amazon is sending Roku 4 an H.264 streams instead of HEVC, or something else.
Did you try setting the Roku to 1080p & letting your Vizio handle the upscaling?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Did you try setting the Roku to 1080p & letting your Vizio handle the upscaling?
I intend to do that tonight and will report back, thanks.

To my eye it seems to be a stream bitrate quality issue rather than upscaling, so it would be good to rule out upscaling using the test you proposed. My current hypothesis is that the Vizio P60 is getting an 8 Mbps HEVC stream, while the Roku 4 is getting an 8 Mbps h.264 stream.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts

As far as I am aware all streaming services (Amazon included) stream using H.264 for 1080p content. HEVC is almost strictly used for 4K content only.

·
Registered
204 Posts
As far as I am aware all streaming services (Amazon included) stream using H.264 for 1080p content. HEVC is almost strictly used for 4K content only.
Amazon does actually have HEVC streams for 1080p content.

I have tried setting the Roku 4 to output 1080p as suggested but the problem did not go away. So it's not the upscaling.

So if it's not the upscaling then my only other theories are the difference in type of codec (HEVC/H.264), or some general video processing problems in the Roku 4. I suspect it's the former.

·
Registered
8,758 Posts
Could be the Vizio and certain displays since the issue is not widespread.

·
Registered
33,434 Posts
As far as the magenta color issue is concerned, I think many people don't see it because a) they're watching on an HDTV, not a UHD display, where the color issue doesn't exist or b) they're insensitive to this type of color issue.

I can say that I've fed my Sony 940c no less than 4 other dedicated 4K sources via HDMI (2 4K media players and 2 4K cameras) and I've seen nothing like the Roku's 4K color shift.

I have little doubt the issue resides within the Roku. I'm also sure this is something that can be addressed by a firmware update, IF Roku acknowledges the issue and addresses it.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #574
Is there a way to change the resolution with the remote? If not, there should be or have an auto function

I don't think so or I haven't figured it out myself. It's quite annoying! Perhaps you could also suggest a feature for this in the Roku Suggestions forum? I have already myself.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Think i figured out the loud fan 85% problem. Im running out the door so ill post pics later but I pulled mine apart. Theres 4 screws on the bottom under the rubber pad then used an xacto knife and jewlers flat tip screww driver to pry open the top.

Discovered no thermal paste or pad between cpu and larger flat metal heatsink.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Think i figured out the loud fan 85% problem. Im running out the door so ill post pics later but I pulled mine apart. Theres 4 screws on the bottom under the rubber pad then used an xacto knife and jewlers flat tip screww driver to pry open the top.

Discovered no thermal paste or pad between cpu and larger flat metal heatsink.
Please post pictures, there is no teardown currently available.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Pictures are UP! So the story is, I bought this Roku yesterday from best buy. Hooked it up and wife used Netflix. I was gone for 5 min came back and the thing sounded like the most hardcore gaming laptop you've ever seen running handbrake for hours. I was like there is no way its supposed sound like this no one in there right mind would use it. Did some research lots of people say there is quite but there are a lot that has my issue and apparently if you call Roku they will exchange it.

If you press home home home home home FF play RW Play FF it will bring up the secret menu which will show temp and fan speed percent. Mine was idling at 77-79c and fan at 85%.
However I noticed mine didn't "feel" hot and the air in the vents didn't feel hot. Seemed like the heat couldn't escaped the CPU.

I just put some arctic silver 5 and put it back together, will report back, I'm just hoping the heat sink actually touches the CPU and doesn't need a thermal tape/pad to make up the difference.

Attachments

561 - 580 of 2667 Posts