AVS Forum banner

621 - 640 of 2667 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
What I'm seeing transcends being 'picky', it really does. Magenta flesh tones, as I and others have seen, we're not something we searched for, they hit us in the face (pun intended;))

If nobody reports issues, how do problems get solved?
Ditto squared. :)

It's not being picky. It's being responsible. . . and, as Ken says, helping get defects and problems reported, and, hopefully addressed, which only, in the long run, helps manufacturers.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Does the Roku 4 support HDR 4K/UHD programs being offered on Amazon instant video when the Roku is connected to a HDR capable UHD TV or projector (i.e., supporting HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2)?

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Thought I would pass along my unsuccessful experience with the R4 for any others with similar gear. I have all of my source gear feeding into a Denon AVR-4520 which then outputs to my JVC X500 (RS4910) projector. Using Wireworld HDMIs for all the sources and an Audioquest HDMI to the proj. I first ordered the Amazon FireTV 4K unit but never even opened it due to the feedback. Went and got the R4 from BestBuy expecting great things. Unfortunately, not much success to get there.

First off...the R4 wouldn't even auto recognize my JVC to output a 1080p signal....it kept wanting to send 720p. After numerous tries, I did finally get a 1080p signal to work, but only if I completely bypassed the receiver and went straight to the projector. Trying to get a 4K output was a complete non-starter. The R4 put a message on screen that my display device did not accept HDCP 2.2. So I guess that tells you that even if your display device accepts 4K (like my JVC does) unless its 2.2 compliant, you're SOL. Too bad as I was really hoping for this to finally be a solution to get 4K content to my projector. What I find quite strange was the inability to get 1080p to my projector through the Denon. My Oppo BR and Toshiba HD-DVD pass through it without any issue.

Your JVC projector (that was released 2 years ago) has only HDM 1.4 inputs and the older version of HDCP. This version of HDMI only support 4K at 24Hz and 30Hz while the Roku 4 outputs 4K/UHD video at 60Hz and the Roku also requires HDCP 2.2 copy protection. The new JVC projectors that begin shipping at the end of November will have HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 support and should be fully compatible with the Roku 4. I know this doesn't help you any, but it the same situation with many 4K flat panel TV models that were first introduced before mid-to-late 2014.

Note also that many AV Receivers that offered 4K capable inputs/output before this year are going to not be compatible with the new UHD video sources, including the upcoming Ultra HD Blu-ray players as well as the Roku 4 and other upcoming 4K streaming players. Your 3 year old model (i.e., Denon AVR4520) offers "4K pass-thru" but it is limited by only having HDMI 1.4 inputs/output and support for only the older HDCP 1.3, so it also is not compatible with latest 4K/UHD standards. Even some of those current AVRs that say they have HDMI 2.0 + HDCP 2.2 support (e.g, Onkyo and Integra) only have a limited bandwidth version of HDMI 2.0 supporting a max. data rate of 10.2 Gbps (same a HDMI 1.4) and will not support such UHD formats as 4K @60Hz and 10-bit depth. FYI - The latest Denon and Marantz AVRs do support the full bandwidth version of HDMI 2.0 (18Gbps) and also HDR (i.e., HDMI 2.0a standard).

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
And some people are way to picky, critical and seem to search to find something wrong. We can find things wrong with all the players, apple no 4K , Nvidia limited content , Fire TV sluggish remote and slow load times and if we send them all back what are you going to use? We dont live in a perfect world especially with new electronic hardware. Most of these will be fixed with updates until then sit back and enjoy the near perfect ride with home electronics and give these companies some credit with coming up with inovative things for us to enjoy.
So true.

Could you have imagined dropping $129 on a box the plays 4k and 5.1 audio back in 1995 when your svhs hifi stereo bus was state of the art and 10x the price.

We live in the future.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Dumb question but I had my roku set to 4K and that was great. However my tv went bad and had to revert to my old 1080 set. Now I have no way to change resolution. It doesn't revert to a lower resolution. So how do I fix this?

Again I can't view anything on the screen so I can change resolutions. Is there a hard reset or something?
Have you tried unplugging the ROKU for a while , is it conecting thru a reciever or straight into the TV ? what happened to your 4K TV and what brand is it?
Tried unplugging. Plugged straight into my old tv. No way. It's stuck on a 4K signal. Not sure why it doesn't automatically down convert the signal.

The 4K tv was an LG 65EF9500 oled

·
Registered
5,324 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
So true.

Could you have imagined dropping $129 on a box the plays 4k and 5.1 audio back in 1995 when your svhs hifi stereo bus was state of the art and 10x the price.

We live in the future.
Ditto squared :D
Couldnt resist. Yeah I had one of those $1000 RCA Vhs recorders and I thought for sure my wife would of left me for buying it. lol

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
1080p output with 4K sources?

I have a 4K TV, but most of my content will be 1080p. I would like to pass the a 1080p signal through my old receiver and OPPO BD player with Darbee.

Can I have to Roku 4 down-scale 4K content to 1080p to get the higher bit rates?

I could also connect it directly to my Sony 4K [email protected], but that does not sound ideal based on what I read in this forum around compatibility, color shift and 1080p upscaling performance.

·
Registered
62 Posts
One step forward, two steps back

Ok, after a week or so with Roku 4, I have encountered my first real annoyances.

1. The forced Roku 4 upscaling means watching 3D content in HSBS format requires changing the system settings to output 1080P manually. Going thru all those steps to switch between viewing 3D content and 4K content is a major PITA.

2. I considered leaving it in 1080P until more 4K content arrives, but 480P content upscaled in 1080P looks like utter crap on Roku 4. Using my Sony X900B native apps looks way better.

With so many TVs supporting the most popular apps/channels now, I am wondering about the future of Roku. Because of these annoyances, I am finding myself using Roku 4 only for 4K content in VP9 format (the X900B does not support VP9, only HEVC.) In other words, I purchased a $129 YouTube box.

I wonder, is it possible for these issues to be corrected via firmware updates? The Roku definitely needs to be able to detect and automatically switch to a source material friendly resolution. Like others have said, let the display do the upscaling if needed.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Do you guys who own Sony 850A or 900A see any any color shift with skin tones? Wondering if it is a unit specific or display specific problem.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Do you guys who own Sony 850A or 900A see any any color shift with skin tones? Wondering if it is a unit specific or display specific problem.

It looks amazing on the 900a. No way to do a head to head comparison though. The A series does not support native 4k play back on Netflix, Amazon, or YouTube. Before the R4 came along the only way for me to watch 4k was from the X1 media player, which does not support streaming 4k either. There was no way, I was going for another $600 bucks for the X10 to be able to do so.

I watched what I'm pretty sure are 4k videos that were posted on Youtube by Ken Ross. They look brilliant.

·
Registered
33,434 Posts
Rockaway, thanks, I have posted several 4K videos on YouTube and Vimeo that I've shot with the Sony A7Rii & Samsung NX1.

I really wish there was some way for you guys to do an A/B, but there's not much you can do if your native apps aren't 4K capable. :(

With that said, it's hard to believe that Sony would have a different way of handling the Roku 4's 4K output between the 900a and the 940c, but without having both displays side by side, we can't say with 100% certainty.

The only thing I can say with 100% certainty is that between the 4K output of the Sony X10, the ProBox2 4K media player, the internal 4K apps on my Sony 940c, the 4K output of my 4K cameras and the Roku 4, the Roku 4 is the only component that is giving this color shift.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Hi Ken,
Have you posted anything on Youtube with Roku 4 output showing color shift? If so please provide me the link. I am curious as to how it looks with skin tones.
Thanks,

·
Registered
33,434 Posts
Vinod, no, I haven't posted anything. However the issue with the color shift is particularly noticeable with flesh tones. That's where the magenta cast is most obvious.

Just a further note on some experimenting I did. As most people know, there has been no success in getting the Roku 4 to output 4K, 10bit...until now. :)

I changed a setting on the Sony 940c, to 'extended' in the HDMI settings. The TV reboots and the HDMI input you designated as 'extended' is now 10-bit enabled. For the first time this allowed me to go back in to the Roku 4 settings and change it to a '4K 10bit' display. This time it worked. That's the good news.

The bad news is that it resulted in no change whatsoever in the magenta-skewed color issue. :(

621 - 640 of 2667 Posts