AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 13924 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
A few reviews of the Ultra have surfaced. Pretty positive but the two I read neither mentioned the heat or noise problems the early 4's had or anything related to these issues. Still waiting for some real people reports before buying. Both reviews said aside from 4K, the Ultra almost identical to the original 4.
http://hometheaterreview.com/roku-4-ultra-hd-streaming-media-player-reviewed/
https://www.engadget.com/2015/11/03/roku-4-review/

The Ultra photos on the Roku web site show Roku on top of the unit, not 4. Not sure that they reviewed the new Ultra at all.
Both reviews show Roku 4 boxes.

Shelly

·
Registered
652 Posts
A few reviews of the Ultra have surfaced. Pretty positive but the two I read neither mentioned the heat or noise problems the early 4's had or anything related to these issues. Still waiting for some real people reports before buying. Both reviews said aside from 4K, the Ultra almost identical to the original 4.
http://hometheaterreview.com/roku-4-ultra-hd-streaming-media-player-reviewed/
https://www.engadget.com/2015/11/03/roku-4-review/
Both reviews are from last year and for the Roku 4.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I picked up roku ultra today at Walmart. No 4K or hdr tv but so far very impressed with the speed compared to my roku 2 xs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I picked up roku ultra today at Walmart. No 4K or hdr tv but so far very impressed with the speed compared to my roku 2 xs

Wally World- really!! You realize that you need to go out and buy a 4K/HDR TV :). Maybe the rest of us will see ours show up first of week..
Gerry

·
Registered
65 Posts
I always get the best roku model every few years. My 2XS was used on a sd tv for several years. I have a 3 on the living room tv now, the new stick on a 720p tv in bedroom, and the ultra in the theater Room. I love the USB ports to store movies. 4K tvs I will get one when one of my 1080p tvs no longer works.

·
Premium Member
12,441 Posts
I wonder if the Roku Ultra will have the option to disable HDR so you only get UHD on streaming services.

·
Registered
936 Posts

You are in the same situation I'm in...going from a 2 XS and currently only having a 1080p TV.

So tell me first impressions? Probably using it is similar to the XS but what is better? Do you stream local content (Plex) or only online?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I also got my ultra from Walmart. But I'm having hdcp issues. I don't yet have a 4k Tv but I want to use it in 1080p mode for now. I plugged the ultra into my receiver and the receiver says it can't display the content because my TV isn't 2.2 compatible. So I plug the roku directly into the TV and it works fine. I get through the setup and tell it to only output 1080p. Then plug it back into the avr and get the hdcp error again. Not sure what to do now. I suspect the avr is the problem and have posted in that owners thread but haven't gotten an answer yet. Any ideas?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Picked up a Premium + at Best Buy today. All seems to be working well on a 4K HDR capable Sony. Only issue so far is the Amazon app doesn't display that the content is playing in HDR, so not sure if the app is working properly yet.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I picked up the Ultra today at BB and can confirm Netflix, Amazon, and FandangoNow all output UHD/HDR. Are there any other apps anyone wants me to check?

·
Registered
65 Posts
You are in the same situation I'm in...going from a 2 XS and currently only having a 1080p TV.

So tell me first impressions? Probably using it is similar to the XS but what is better? Do you stream local content (Plex) or only online?

Well I had a hdcp error this morning I had to unplug it and reconnect all the hdmi cables to get it to work, not sure what caused it I hooked it up yesterday with no issues.
It is faster and does not reboot watching sling. VUDU loads really fast also on hdx content, I have it connected via Ethernet. You also get the new Netflix and amazon interface.
I have a NAS but have not used it yet no plex server. Cord cutter news did some tests on this vs the roku 4 and premiere . It was about the same speed as the 4 and slightly faster than the premier. I am going to keep using this daily to make sure it does not have the same issues the original 4 had.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I also got my ultra from Walmart. But I'm having hdcp issues. I don't yet have a 4k Tv but I want to use it in 1080p mode for now. I plugged the ultra into my receiver and the receiver says it can't display the content because my TV isn't 2.2 compatible. So I plug the roku directly into the TV and it works fine. I get through the setup and tell it to only output 1080p. Then plug it back into the avr and get the hdcp error again. Not sure what to do now. I suspect the avr is the problem and have posted in that owners thread but haven't gotten an answer yet. Any ideas?

I had to unplug my Sony avr and Sony tv + ultra to get to to work.i removed the hdmi cables also. I never had any issues with my old roku 2XS via hdmi with the same setup. My Sony ave and tv are older models for the mid 2000s.

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
9512tacoma: Can you tell me if Netflix outputs 24P on movies ? My internal TV Netflix outputs everything at 60P and there is no way to change it. Thanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had to unplug my Sony avr and Sony tv + ultra to get to to work.i removed the hdmi cables also. I never had any issues with my old roku 2XS via hdmi with the same setup. My Sony ave and tv are older models for the mid 2000s.

I have powered up/down everything and tried different hdmi cables too. The avr seems determined to use 2.2.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've got a Vizio M70-d3 with the newest firmware from last week. Roku Ultra not letting me enable HDR, even with the Subsampling enabled.
Tried 3 different HDMI cables,
Tried ports 1 and 5.

Any thoughts...?

·
Premium Member
12,441 Posts
I picked up the Ultra today at BB and can confirm Netflix, Amazon, and FandangoNow all output UHD/HDR. Are there any other apps anyone wants me to check?
Any menu options for turning off HDR so you just get 2160p feeds?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would take it back and try another one. Walmart only gave me 15 days to return mine

I don't think there is anything wrong with the roku. When I hook it up directly to the TV I can see everything is working fine. The problem occurs only when the avr is in the loop.

21 - 40 of 13924 Posts