AVS Forum banner

6581 - 6600 of 15089 Posts

·
UHD Addict
37,969 Posts
I was wondering if someone here could help me sort out 5.1 and ARC with my bedroom setup with a ROKU.

The Sony TV in the bedroom can pass DD 5.1 over optical, and ARC. The Apple TV 4, and blu-ray player in there can both send dolby plus as standard DD 5.1, or if connected directly to the sound bar's HDMI will send Dolby plus.

The problem I am having with ROKU devices with this setup are, if I play media with Plex, I will get DD 5.1 via optical / ARC. However, services like Netflix, Amazon Google, etc, will only send stereo. Device used is Premiere+. The TV in the living room (4k Sony) is much easier to deal with when it comes to secondary connections through the TV vs direct to sound bar. This TV supports Dolby plus, DTS, and standard DD, and DD+ is passed as standard DD, and of course DTS is passed directly.

With the ROKU premiere+ in the bedroom, and the slightly more limited TV, is there a way to force the ROKU to send DD+ as DD since that's what's causing most of the streaming services to send stereo instead of 5.1. I am not sure what the Sony BDP / Apple TV are doing different to work with the ARC connection, but ROKU players and /or my chromeCast won't send standard DD when DD+ is used, so it's converted to stereo.

Setting the Roku to DD, DTS doesn't seem to make a difference, and things are still sent as stereo. I was trying to get the ROKU to play nice on that setup as it's the only device in there that gives me access to FandangoNOW, and Google play movies and TV.

For the standard services, I can pick the Apple TV, or Sony, and be done with it. BTW, I usually have the disc player as the direct HDMI connected device into sound, but If I direct connect the ROKU things work as well. Is this a normal limitation of ROKU players not to play nice with ARC, or TV optical out if DD 5.1 is the only 5.1 format that can be passed ?
You need the Roku Ulta. 2016 version. Only that one has the capability to convert everything to DD.

Sent from my Tab S 10.5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
You need the Roku Ulta. 2016 version. Only that one has the capability to convert everything to DD.

Sent from my Tab S 10.5 using Tapatalk
OK, was thinking about that. I just happened to pick one up on clearance before they were gone. So, it looks like if I want to use 5.1 from a ROKU in the bedroom setup, I'll either have to move the one I got into the bedroom, or look for a second one.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Does OS8 get rid of the red flashes on Netflix?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I wanted to follow up on my audio setup in the bedroom. I found the issue, the TV in there can only process Dolby D through ARC, and optical out. This means if the ROKU is set to D+, or D+, DTS the TV can't process the signal, all I get is a message about unsupported audio format and no sound. What makes the Sony android TV easier to deal with when it comes to optical out, or ARC, is the TV itself can process D+ and convert it to standard DD 5.1.

Both sound bars can accept D+ directly over HDMI, but since there is only HDMI input, and switches seem to cause issues with CEC and ARC, best to use one device directly, and the others going through the TV.

With this said, both the Apple TV, and Sony BDP have the ability to convert D+, and of course the ultra. My question now is would it make a difference switching the ROKU units, since the one TV can convert D+ internally and pass it as standard DD? And use the ultra on the setup where the TV can't internally convert? Or should I look for a new streaming box for that setup?

Thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
Got a new Roku Ultra Sunday morning at my local best buy. Comparing and contrasting to our previous gen Roku Ultra which is also hooked up there's no discernible difference so far but glad to report it seems stable, was running Plex and Netflix 4k no problems as of today. With two UHD TVs and two Roku Ultras they've proven, for the most part, family friendly in terms of simplicity to operate and generally performing to spec. Far less wrinkles or issues than I personally experienced with the Roku 4.

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
Got a new Roku Ultra Sunday morning at my local best buy. Comparing and contrasting to our previous gen Roku Ultra which is also hooked up there's no discernible difference so far but glad to report it seems stable, was running Plex and Netflix 4k no problems as of today. With two UHD TVs and two Roku Ultras they've proven, for the most part, family friendly in terms of simplicity to operate and generally performing to spec. Far less wrinkles or issues than I personally experienced with the Roku 4.
Do you have a 4K TV and have you tested the automatic resolution frame rate changing feature in OS 8?

·
UHD Addict
37,969 Posts
I wanted to follow up on my audio setup in the bedroom. I found the issue, the TV in there can only process Dolby D through ARC, and optical out. This means if the ROKU is set to D+, or D+, DTS the TV can't process the signal, all I get is a message about unsupported audio format and no sound. What makes the Sony android TV easier to deal with when it comes to optical out, or ARC, is the TV itself can process D+ and convert it to standard DD 5.1.

Both sound bars can accept D+ directly over HDMI, but since there is only HDMI input, and switches seem to cause issues with CEC and ARC, best to use one device directly, and the others going through the TV.

With this said, both the Apple TV, and Sony BDP have the ability to convert D+, and of course the ultra. My question now is would it make a difference switching the ROKU units, since the one TV can convert D+ internally and pass it as standard DD? And use the ultra on the setup where the TV can't internally convert? Or should I look for a new streaming box for that setup?

Thanks
I've been using the ARC with my UHD set since 2015. So far, HDMI-CEC has worked with all the HDMI switches I've used. I've used around six different brands over the last two years. Of course while they all worked with HDMI-CEC some had more features. Some would actually change to the correct input of the switch. While some would just change to the switch, but not to the device on the input of the switch. But then that is where a switch with auto-switching comes in handy.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Anyone got their hands on the new model 4660 of Roku Ultra? Any impressions?
yes picked one up Sunday from my local best buy. my first impression first off it seem faster loading and actually the picture looks a little better. that maybe because of OS8 not sure but there must be some hardware changes from last years ULTRA as it's still on OS7.

Reactions: Bullwyf

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm really interested in switching to ps vue but the lack of the tv guide on my premiere + is a deal breaker. Anyone have news if this will ever be added?
It seems to have been added to other firmsts,just not roku.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I'm really interested in switching to ps vue but the lack of the tv guide on my premiere + is a deal breaker. Anyone have news if this will ever be added?
It seems to have been added to other firmsts,just not roku.

are you saying PS Vue is not on Roku, it's available on my Roku did you search for it, look in search channels it there. plus go to this site.
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/roku/?emcid=pa-vu-111688

·
Registered
27 Posts
are you saying PS Vue is not on Roku, it's available on my Roku did you search for it, look in search channels it there. plus go to this site.
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/roku/?emcid=pa-vu-111688
Sorry, no it's there and I've used the free trial. Im thinking of ditching cable and vue has the channels I want but had no on screen tv guide like a cable box. Other devices have gotten it added but not roku.
It's a deal breaker really,it's clunky to use and hard to search channels etc.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Sorry, no it's there and I've used the free trial. Im thinking of ditching cable and vue has the channels I want but had no on screen tv guide like a cable box. Other devices have gotten it added but not roku.
It's a deal breaker really,it's clunky to use and hard to search channels etc.

sorry misunderstood i use directv now myself had it from the beginning 100 channels $35.00/month for the rest of my life :) very happy with it but the guide has something to desire and get use too.

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
Roku Ultra OS 8 is the first device that I've used that auto switches Netflix to 24fps (also 25 and 30). Also appears to drop to 4:2:0 output which is native video sub sampling.

Now only if it auto switched between 1080p and 2160p based on stream content.

So far I'm happy compared to last year's Ultra and OS 7.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rokupremier =+ hdr

Setup includes ROKU Premier +, yamaha CX-A5100 p[er amp supporting 4K/HDR , and JVC RS620 projector also supporting 4K/HDR.
when setting Roku to display 4K UHD HDR and streaming HDR source from amazon or Netflix, screeen goes blank and I get just colored lines on screen.
when playing exact same HDR content from my Sony 4K/HDR blu ray player, It owkrs perfect with a crisp HDR color picutre.

Any tricks with ROKU? settings all seem to be correct.

Thanks

Andrew

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Setup includes ROKU Premier +, yamaha CX-A5100 p[er amp supporting 4K/HDR , and JVC RS620 projector also supporting 4K/HDR.
when setting Roku to display 4K UHD HDR and streaming HDR source from amazon or Netflix, screeen goes blank and I get just colored lines on screen.
when playing exact same HDR content from my Sony 4K/HDR blu ray player, It owkrs perfect with a crisp HDR color picutre.

Thanks

Andrew
Should work as well as the Sony UHD player does on Netflix & Amazon. It sounds like a 18 Gbps cable/handshake issue. Try replacing the Sony with the Roku on the same HDMI port connection and using Sony's cables as a test. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Roku Ultra OS 8 is the first device that I've used that auto switches Netflix to 24fps (also 25 and 30). Also appears to drop to 4:2:0 output which is native video sub sampling.

Now only if it auto switched between 1080p and 2160p based on stream content.

So far I'm happy compared to last year's Ultra and OS 7.
The original Ultra will do that as well with 8.0. Works quite well.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
2,939 Posts

Thanks

Andrew
Make sure you've changed your Yamaha to Mode 1. On mine it's hidden in that menu that's only available at power on. You might have to check your manual to find it on yours. For some reason Yamaha has them default to Mode 2, which does not allow 4K to process correctly.

6581 - 6600 of 15089 Posts