AVS Forum banner

13401 - 13420 of 13830 Posts

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
Well, just found on my laptop - which has no 3D capability - that on the VUDU site, once signed in you can find their library of 143 3D films under Movies > Collections > 3D Movies.

When I get to my theater later today, I'll see if I can play one of them through my Roku Ultra to my projector, which I use for 3D Blu-rays all the time.
I don't believe the Roku will play any Vudu 3D content. The only device I've been able to do this was on the internal Vudu app of my 2015 LG OLED TV.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Bought a Streaming Stick + yesterday...wow...so easy to set up and the audio/video is awesome.

Just ordered 2 SS+ for my other 2 TVs (already have a Premiere in my main setup)...using my Best Buy birthday "gift" and some gift card points.
I'm gearing up to "cut the cord" in May. ;)

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Just read at VUDU's site that they actually stream movies in 3D - if you have the right equipment to decode it.

Can the Roku Ultra handle VUDU 3D?
No, it can not. No streaming box dose. I know , I've looked for one for years. I use the VUDU app on Sony 3DBD player's.

·
Registered
860 Posts
While I am enjoying my SS+ I am having an audio issue.
I have the device connected to my TV's, Sony 950G, HDMI 1 input. My TV is connected to my AVR, Marantz SR5014, via the eARC HDMI ports. When I start the Roku the audio is directed to the TV's speakers, not the HT speakers. I can force the connection to the HT speakers by unplugging the TV and AVR power cords and the TV's HDMI cable from the AVR port. Generally when I plug everything back in I can get the sound through the HT speakers but not all the time and it is frustrating.

All my other devices which are connected to the AVR, disk player, media player and even the TV via the cable box work perfectly to the HT speakers.
I have the same problem using the TV's built in apps which is why I went with the Roku hoping the avoid the TV's apps problem but no joy...sigh

I've tried every settings, google searches, etc.
I tried connecting the SS+ directly to the AVR's HDMI input but that didn't work at all.
I'm left with considering purchasing the HDMI CEC Less adapter which according to the reviews on Amazon works quite well.
Anyone else suffering with this?
Solutions??? Suggestions???
Thanks in advance,
Kai

·
Registered
996 Posts
While I am enjoying my SS+ I am having an audio issue...

I tried connecting the SS+ directly to the AVR's HDMI input but that didn't work at all.

Kai
What happens when you did this? Is the cable HDMI premium certified? Did you try a shorter HDMI cable? The stick includes a short cable doesn't it?

I'm left with considering purchasing the HDMI CEC Less adapter which according to the reviews on Amazon works quite well.

Thanks in advance,

Kai
Not sure the HDMICECLess adapter will do what you want unless the above answer suggests the stick wasn't working properly. Depends. And results may vary too. My Roku was suffering HDCP errors mostly when connected to my TV and using framerate enabled. Other issues like loss of subtitles and lip sync had me factory resetting it. But I'm not sure what helped the most. Switch? (see below) Roku OS update?

When I tried the Lindy adapter, I thought my Apple TV 4K was interfering with my Roku Ultra. Putting the Lindy on either device didn't help. I didn't want to go with multiple adapters. I got an HDMI switch with audio extractor for my AVR which lacked HDCP support. The switch solved a lot of issues for me.

I can't imagine a newer TV requiring drastic measures to get eARC working. Hard to say the HDMICECLess works for you. But can't hurt to try.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
635 Posts
I've tried every settings, google searches, etc.
Thanks in advance,
Kai
You’ve probably already tried this, but just in case...Your 950G has a menu option to quickly switch between the TV speakers and the audio system speakers.

·
Registered
860 Posts
You’ve probably already tried this, but just in case...Your 950G has a menu option to quickly switch between the TV speakers and the audio system speakers.
Over and over...didn't work.

BUT I DID GET IT WORKING PERFECTLY ! ! ! At least it was when I went to bed at 1AM.
I connected it to the DVD HDMI port on my AVR and it does work and works as it is supposed to.
My HT speakers are outputting the audio via my AVR and all is well.
I'm very happy. I've yet to test it today but I've had no problems with my other devices.
Thanks for the help and suggestions.
CEC can be a real pain in the arse.
Kai

·
Registered
860 Posts
What happens when you did this? Is the cable HDMI premium certified? Did you try a shorter HDMI cable? The stick includes a short cable doesn't it?

I tried the DVD HDMI input on my AVR and it works perfectly. I connected the SS+ directly to the input.

Not sure the HDMICECLess adapter will do what you want unless the above answer suggests the stick wasn't working properly. Depends. And results may vary too. My Roku was suffering HDCP errors mostly when connected to my TV and using framerate enabled. Other issues like loss of subtitles and lip sync had me factory resetting it. But I'm not sure what helped the most. Switch? (see below) Roku OS update?

When I tried the Lindy adapter, I thought my Apple TV 4K was interfering with my Roku Ultra. Putting the Lindy on either device didn't help. I didn't want to go with multiple adapters. I got an HDMI switch with audio extractor for my AVR which lacked HDCP support. The switch solved a lot of issues for me.

I can't imagine a newer TV requiring drastic measures to get eARC working. Hard to say the HDMICECLess works for you. But can't hurt to try.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Some reviews said it didn't work as you state, while others said it did. I'd guess it is device related whether it works or not but I seem to have remedied the problem.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Well, just found on my laptop - which has no 3D capability - that on the VUDU site, once signed in you can find their library of 143 3D films under Movies > Collections > 3D Movies.

When I get to my theater later today, I'll see if I can play one of them through my Roku Ultra to my projector, which I use for 3D Blu-rays all the time.
UPDATE: Posted a support question a few days ago about my equipment, and the suggestion that they put a test video in that collection to enable us to determine compatibility ourselves without having to pay to rent or buy a video. Still waiting for more than an automated acknowledgement of my question.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
18 Posts
Does anyone know how to fix how dark HDR content is on the roku ultra? I have a Sony x950g. Hdmi on tv set to enhance hdmi already. Roku auto detect shows 4k 60hz hdr. The native app on the TV looks way brighter than what I'm getting the the roku with the same apps, ie vudu, disney+, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Does anyone know how to fix how dark HDR content is on the roku ultra? I have a Sony x950g. Hdmi on tv set to enhance hdmi already. Roku auto detect shows 4k 60hz hdr. The native app on the TV looks way brighter than what I'm getting the the roku with the same apps, ie vudu, disney+, thanks in advance.
They should look the same for HDR10. Make sure you are using the same video settings on the Roku's HDMI port as those you are using on the Sony internal Apps. Disney+ will look a little different since the Roku can only do HDR10 and the Sony App is doing Dolby Vision for most current material.

·
Registered
18 Posts
They should look the same for HDR10. Make sure you are using the same video settings on the Roku's HDMI port as those you are using on the Sony internal Apps. Disney+ will look a little different since the Roku can only do HDR10 and the Sony App is doing Dolby Vision for most current material.
Video settings are the same except brightness need to be put up to max with roku, but tv apps are around 30. Same is true for using 4k blu ray, brightness around 30 also. Maybe I should try running it at 4k 60hz without hdr on roku

·
Registered
74 Posts
UPDATE: Posted a support question a few days ago about my equipment, and the suggestion that they put a test video in that collection to enable us to determine compatibility ourselves without having to pay to rent or buy a video. Still waiting for more than an automated acknowledgement of my question.
I think I tried out Vudu 3d by watching one of the 3d Toy Story trailers. If I remember correctly, it worked best on Sony Bluray 3d Vudu app using packed frame 3d. On Roku, I think I it showed side by side frames so I had to manually select side by side 3d on my projector to view it properly in 3d. It was quite awhile ago, so I might not remember correctly other than I thought that Vudu's 3d prices were too high at the time.

·
UHD Addict
37,076 Posts
Video settings are the same except brightness need to be put up to max with roku, but tv apps are around 30. Same is true for using 4k blu ray, brightness around 30 also. Maybe I should try running it at 4k 60hz without hdr on roku
Maybe it's some other issue? HDR10 from my Rokus look the same on my 2015 Sony and 2019 TCL as it does from my Shield TVs, ATV 4K boxes, UHD BD players, and FireTV 4K sticks. It's not dark at all.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
18 Posts
Maybe it's some other issue? HDR10 from my Rokus look the same on my 2015 Sony and 2019 TCL as it does from my Shield TVs, ATV 4K boxes, UHD BD players, and FireTV 4K sticks. It's not dark at all.
Wow that's awesome that you have all those devices to test against. Thanks for your input, I'll go dig around some more. BTW on your Sony or TCL do you have to jack up the brightness to the max?

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Wow that's awesome that you have all those devices to test against. Thanks for your input, I'll go dig around some more. BTW on your Sony or TCL do you have to jack up the brightness to the max?
That is irrelevant, the Roku is just sending a video signal that is being processed by your Sony. Try some A-B ing. Start an HDR10 video on your Sony's internal App and write down all the video settings then open the video on the Roku and set your Sony video settings exactly the same. Also do the same for a non HDR10 video (HD or simple 4K) since the Sony will default to different non HDR10 settings. Good luck.

P.S. Are you connecting the Roku directly to the Sony or going through an AVR? An AVR might be doing some weird video processing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That is irrelevant, the Roku is just sending a video signal that is being processed by your Sony. Try some A-B ing. Start an HDR10 video on your Sony's internal App and write down all the video settings then open the video on the Roku and set your Sony video settings exactly the same. Also do the same for a non HDR10 video (HD or simple 4K) since the Sony will default to different non HDR10 settings. Good luck.

P.S. Are you connecting the Roku directly to the Sony or going through an AVR? An AVR might be doing some weird video processing.
Yes it's connected directly. My concern was that the roku was just somehow processing the brightness differently. I will try your suggestions.

·
Premium Member
4,263 Posts
Run it at 4K 60 Hz. I did and it fixes the problem.

·
UHD Addict
37,076 Posts
Run it at 4K 60 Hz. I did and it fixes the problem.
But then why would it look different? It looks the same in my setups whether outputting 24hz or 60hz. Unless their TV has different video settings for each framerate? And if so then that could explain why 60hz fixed the problem.

13401 - 13420 of 13830 Posts