AVS Forum banner

13421 - 13440 of 13835 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,264 Posts
Are you talking about running it at 4K 60 Hz SDR, not 4K 60 Hz HDR?
Basically yes. But I do it for a different reason. The poster was complaint about too dark a picture. Changing to 4K 60Hz fixes the darkness issue albeit losing the highlights of HDR. My reason was because I was downscaling 4K HDR material to my 1080P projector and this results in a washed out picture. Eliminating the HDR fixed the problem while giving an improved picture because of the 4K source.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Basically yes. But I do it for a different reason. The poster was complaint about too dark a picture. Changing to 4K 60Hz fixes the darkness issue albeit losing the highlights of HDR. My reason was because I was downscaling 4K HDR material to my 1080P projector and this results in a washed out picture. Eliminating the HDR fixed the problem while giving an improved picture because of the 4K source.
Got it. There are times when I seriously consider going back to 4K SDR. I don't have a projector, but often, trying to get the "perfect" HDR picture becomes both frustrating and a colossal time waste! 4K SDR look wonderful on my Sony OLED.

·
UHD Addict
37,082 Posts
Got it. There are times when I seriously consider going back to 4K SDR. I don't have a projector, but often, trying to get the "perfect" HDR picture becomes both frustrating and a colossal time waste! 4K SDR look wonderful on my Sony OLED.
And 4K HDR looks superb on the Sony OLED sets. There is no comparison between SDR and HDR on those Sony OLED sets. HDR easily wins. But then that is also the case with my Sony and TCL LCD sets.

Sent from my Tab S 10.5

·
Registered
399 Posts
Disney+ App 1.4 Update

The Disney + app updated to 1.4 (build 2020042100) today - there are notable functional enhancements and improvements:

under Settings:

"App Settings: Automatic(D), Moderate, Save Data" - allows bitrate/quality setting of 4K/HD/SD

"Account: Log out of all devices" - as stated, requires password

As usual, test/verify HDR/5.1/Atmos/Profiles/Trickplay/new settings/etc.

EDIT: Disney seems to be rolling out app updates with the new Settings across all platforms...

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
UPDATE: Posted a support question a few days ago about my equipment, and the suggestion that they put a test video in that collection to enable us to determine compatibility ourselves without having to pay to rent or buy a video. Still waiting for more than an automated acknowledgement of my question.
Having gotten no response after several days, and seeing no free test 3D video, I decided to pay for a rental to see if it works, after reading Sea3's comment.

So I picked an inexpensive 3D-only rental (there are some 3D/2D combo packs) and clicked Rent - only to be told that my equipment wasn't compatible before even getting to the confirmation page.

So I tried all the 3D settings on my projector, backing up each time before hitting Rent, with the same result each time.

There was an option to rent anyway, but I didn't go that far.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Having gotten no response after several days, and seeing no free test 3D video, I decided to pay for a rental to see if it works, after reading Sea3's comment.

So I picked an inexpensive 3D-only rental (there are some 3D/2D combo packs) and clicked Rent - only to be told that my equipment wasn't compatible before even getting to the confirmation page.

So I tried all the 3D settings on my projector, backing up each time before hitting Rent, with the same result each time.

I said roku's don't work for vudu 3d movies. The vudu app on most Sony 3DBD player's will work and the ps3 vudu app. I can't say for sure about other 3DBD players.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Having sleeping issues. I really like the headphone option. I run it thru my phone at save remote batteries. May have to invest in better headphones.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
UPDATE: Posted a support question a few days ago about my equipment, and the suggestion that they put a test video in that collection to enable us to determine compatibility ourselves without having to pay to rent or buy a video. Still waiting for more than an automated acknowledgement of my question.

Still having heard nothing I paid $5 to buy a 7 minute long short to experiment - but it refused to even start playing it! I've requested a refund. If it had played and simply gave me an unwatchable mess, I might have let it go at that, but not even letting me experiment seemed a bit unfair.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Alot of roku owners are showing up on roku community after an update I suppose 9.3 because the lost the tv controls via the roku remote. Re-pairing it doesn't work because it won't let you chose what tv brand you have and just tries 20 or so codes and fails. Has this happened to anyone here? Some had it change the brand from which it was to completely useless to them brand. They can't switch brands back. My roku's are on 9.2.6, Roku tv and Roku smart soundbar.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Alot of roku owners are showing up on roku community after an update I suppose 9.3 because the lost the tv controls via the roku remote. Re-pairing it doesn't work because it won't let you chose what tv brand you have and just tries 20 or so codes and fails. Has this happened to anyone here? Some had it change the brand from which it was to completely useless to them brand. They can't switch brands back. My roku's are on 9.2.6, Roku tv and Roku smart soundbar.
My 4640 will still control my TV and AVR inputs, and the AVR volume controls. This is all via CEC, not IR.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Hdmi-cec is the only way my Roku soundbar remote controls the tv, you can't pick a tv brand or control it by IR anyways. And I didn't have to chose a tv brand for Roku tv remote, so I don't see this effecting my personally, but I do want to help others with this problem.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Still having heard nothing I paid $5 to buy a 7 minute long short to experiment - but it refused to even start playing it! I've requested a refund. If it had played and simply gave me an unwatchable mess, I might have let it go at that, but not even letting me experiment seemed a bit unfair.
For the 3rd time, you can not watch VUDU 3D movies on the roku. There is a Vudu 3D compatibility list and roku's are not on them. Get a cheap sony 3DBD player with a vudu app for 3D.

·
Registered
339 Posts
My 2019 Ultra got the 9.3 firmware today....
My Premier+ 4630X got 9.3.0 on the same day, too. Then another and another a few days ago - Build 4143-29
My Ultra 4640X is still on 9.2.0 Build 4807-29 and still claims that it is up-to-date when I check for updates.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
My Premier+ 4630X got 9.3.0 on the same day, too. Then another and another a few days ago - Build 4143-29
My Ultra 4640X is still on 9.2.0 Build 4807-29 and still claims that it is up-to-date when I check for updates.
Roku rolls out their update in stages. It could be a couple of weeks before everyone gets it. And if something suddenly appears that didn't show up in testing, they'll freeze the rollout. Unfortunately they don't communicate very well if that occurs.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Netflix/Fox App Updates (Roku App Tuesday)

The Netflix app updated to 5.0.81179056 (for HDR models: 2017/2019 SS+) as part of Roku App Tuesday updates.

FoxSports/FoxNow also updated to 3.27.13163 (not that there is much in the way of current content to watch of course).

·
Registered
74 Posts
For the 3rd time, you can not watch VUDU 3D movies on the roku. There is a Vudu 3D compatibility list and roku's are not on them. Get a cheap sony 3DBD player with a vudu app for 3D.
You can blame me for this information. Over a year ago, I watched one of the 3D Toy Story trailers on VUDU with both my Sony Bluray player and Roku. On Sony Bluray, it was packed frames and on the Roku the frames were side by side and viewed properly when I set the format. I found my original post with my observation: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/196-3d-content/1496126-3d-about-dead-130.html#post57018208.

I don't know what is possible today, but I think VUDU could supported 3D on Roku if they chose to support it. My understanding is that the packed frame format is better than side by side so maybe VUDU chooses not to provide the side by side stream.

·
Registered
883 Posts
You can blame me for this information. Over a year ago, I watched one of the 3D Toy Story trailers on VUDU with both my Sony Bluray player and Roku. On Sony Bluray, it was packed frames and on the Roku the frames were side by side and viewed properly when I set the format. I found my original post with my observation: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/196-3d-content/1496126-3d-about-dead-130.html#post57018208.

I don't know what is possible today, but I think VUDU could supported 3D on Roku if they chose to support it. My understanding is that the packed frame format is better than side by side so maybe VUDU chooses not to provide the side by side stream.
Have you checked the Vudu forum? https://forum.vudu.com/ If there isn't anything about this topic there, suggest you post in appropriate area. Vudu technical support is pretty good about monitoring the forum and responding with valid information.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
There is no compatibility list that I could find on their site, so I had a telephone conversation with a support rep, who had no idea what I was talking about. He submitted a request to his higher-ups asking that I be sent such a list, and issued me a refund on my $5 test purchase of the 7 minute 3D short "The Blue Umbrella." I was particularly perplexed that the VUDU app on my Android phone would show a side-by-side 3D stream of that short, but the Roku wouldn't even let me test stream it.

Then I started doing web searches and found, buried in a forum discussion there, the tip from a user that he got 3D by having his phone cast the stream to a Chromecast!

So I've experimentally ordered a Chromecast Ultra for $70 to see if I can do the same trick. PS According to a user at Amazon, if you want to use that device with its wired ethernet connection, first set it up via Wifi with the Google Home phone app, turn it off, and then connect the ethernet cable before turning it back on.

Next week I should be able to report back about this.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
There is no compatibility list that I could find on their site, so I had a telephone conversation with a support rep, who had no idea what I was talking about. He submitted a request to his higher-ups asking that I be sent such a list, and issued me a refund on my $5 test purchase of the 7 minute 3D short "The Blue Umbrella." I was particularly perplexed that the VUDU app on my Android phone would show a side-by-side 3D stream of that short, but the Roku wouldn't even let me test stream it.

Then I started doing web searches and found, buried in a forum discussion there, the tip from a user that he got 3D by having his phone cast the stream to a Chromecast!

So I've experimentally ordered a Chromecast Ultra for $70 to see if I can do the same trick. PS According to a user at Amazon, if you want to use that device with its wired ethernet connection, first set it up via Wifi with the Google Home phone app, turn it off, and then connect the ethernet cable before turning it back on.

Next week I should be able to report back about this.
https://forum.vudu.com/forum/technical-help/3d-forum/57950-vudu-3d-compatible-devices-list

13421 - 13440 of 13835 Posts