AVS Forum banner

13441 - 13460 of 13854 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I had found that link, which listed a number of players with question marks in front of each, and then has posts about success with one LG 3D TV and one Sony UHD Blu-ray player, the X800, that sells new for $250 or used for $150 - not my idea of "cheap."

That's why I just ordered a new Chromecast Ultra for $70.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-bdp-s6700-streaming-4k-upscaling-wi-fi-built-in-blu-ray-player-black/4919700.p?skuId=4919700
This works, can be found cheaper.

The 3D compatibility list must have gotten dropped somewhere over the years since not to many manufacturers support it anymore. They must not feel the need to maintain it, but there use to be one

·
Registered
510 Posts
after the 9.3 update. I had to unplug to get the volume work.

now my Denon receiver doesn't shut down, it goes to Mute mode.

no settings on the Denon were changed, has always shut down with the TV.

Is there a way to start over and re-pair the remote?

I would rather not do a factory reset if possible.

·
Registered
119 Posts

I just went through remote control pairing in settings.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts

Try:

settings> remote & devices> remote in use> program tv> follow the prompts

Of course the roku remote only controls tv's, its upto the tv's hdmi-cec to control your audio gear, also try refreshing the cec devices in the tv menu.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Try:

settings> remote & devices> remote in use> program tv> follow the prompts

Of course the roku remote only controls tv's, its upto the tv's hdmi-cec to control your audio gear, also try refreshing the cec devices in the tv menu.

I tried everything, and a factory reset fixed it. the receiver now shuts down with everything else.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
UPDATE:

Instead of the Chromecast Ultra, I bought an NVIDIA Shield (the $150 tube model, since the Pro is out of stock and folks on eBay are marking it up from $200 to well over $300).

The Shield is a Chromecast device, but also does almost everything I use the Roku Ultra for except no Apple TV + and its TuneIn app is the brain-dead version on the Fire TV - no login (which means no saved favorites) and a nearly worthless search function. Fortunately, I can cast to it from the full-featured TuneIn app on my phone.

The main value-add is its AI Upscaling, which is the modern version of the Darbee Darblet. Very impressive, and makes 1080 material it streams look like 4K. No HDMI input, so my disk player can't get the benefit of this.

The other value-add is that it can get a full web-browser called Puffin from the Google Play Store, which may let me play Apple TV + that way.

But, though the Shield does stream side-by-side 3D from VUDU the way my phone does, my projector's side-by-side 3D mode doesn't decode it but just shows the two images side by side. If I'd bought the Chromecast or the Sony Blu-ray player to cast to I'd have gotten nothing out of it.

·
Registered
510 Posts
UPDATE:
Instead of the Chromecast Ultra, I bought an NVIDIA Shield... The other value-add is that it can get a full web-browser called Puffin from the Google Play Store, which may let me play Apple TV + that way.

But, though the Shield does stream side-by-side 3D from VUDU the way my phone does, my projector's side-by-side 3D mode doesn't decode it but just shows the two images side by side. If I'd bought the Chromecast or the Sony Blu-ray player to cast to I'd have gotten nothing out of it.
I don't have one, but the Shield is an Android device, which may mean it can many Android apps, though I don't know if it has GPS, a motion sensor, and I guess there is no camera, and there is no touchscreen. Online reports like
say the Shield has a Google Play store, so you can also download the full blown Chrome browser, which works with a lot of web sites that Roku can't. A shame it costs so much. That link also says it can be used with a keyboard with a touchscreen (or trackball??) - the biggest lack, other than a true web browser, of Roku boxes.

I assume you use something like a "google cardboard" device (e.g., $5 from Five Below) to watch the side-by-side 3D on your phone. There are also a bunch of similar glasses for watching side-by-side 3D on your projector. I've not tried that, as I don't have a suitable projector, but it sounds cool.

Of course, you'd still have to find fun 3D content. Since there aren't many 3D movies, maybe some Android games and virtual reality apps?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
UPDATE:

The Shield is a Chromecast device, but also does almost everything I use the Roku Ultra for except no Apple TV + and its TuneIn app is the brain-dead version on the Fire TV - no login (which means no saved favorites) and a nearly worthless search function. Fortunately, I can cast to it from the full-featured TuneIn app on my phone.

Try going to the Google store and see if you can download the Tune-in app there. I was able to install on both my Sony and HiSense Android TVs and it has the log-in so I can access the feeds that require a premium subscription.

·
Registered
536 Posts
My 2018 4660 auto-updated on May 6th to 9.3.0-4143-46

I've had no issues with the two remotes that I use with that 4660.

RC193 & RC 392
(Firmware Version 2.01.19.108)

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Try going to the Google store and see if you can download the Tune-in app there. I was able to install on both my Sony and HiSense Android TVs and it has the log-in so I can access the feeds that require a premium subscription.
Apparently, the Google Play Store has different apps - and different versions of apps - for different devices. The Shield gets different downloads than other Android TVs. It gave my Shield the brain-dead version of TuneIn and didn't offer Chrome at all.

I'm downloaded on my PC and emailed to myself the APK Mirror download of the most recent version of Apple TV + for the Fire TV, which is a de-Googled Android device. I'll use Puffin on the Shield to go to the webmail interface for my email and download it. Unless Puffin's ability to download and install APKs has been removed (I've seen some posts saying it has), I'll do that and see if Apple TV + will work on the Shield.

I've also simply emailed myself a link to a folder in my Dropbox, as an easier way to transfer large files.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Apparently, the Google Play Store has different apps - and different versions of apps - for different devices. The Shield gets different downloads than other Android TVs. It gave my Shield the brain-dead version of TuneIn and didn't offer Chrome at all.

I'm downloaded on my PC and emailed to myself the APK Mirror download of the most recent version of Apple TV + for the Fire TV, which is a de-Googled Android device. I'll use Puffin on the Shield to go to the webmail interface for my email and download it. Unless Puffin's ability to download and install APKs has been removed (I've seen some posts saying it has), I'll do that and see if Apple TV + will work on the Shield.

I've also simply emailed myself a link to a folder in my Dropbox, as an easier way to transfer large files.
Hmmm.... I thought this was the ROKU 4K (HDR) Premiere +/Ultra Owners thread, not a Shield thread. Just sayin...

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Hmmm.... I thought this was the ROKU 4K (HDR) Premiere +/Ultra Owners thread, not a Shield thread. Just sayin...
My bad. This discussion started out relevant - how can I play 3D VUDU streams? - but went way off track.

I've taken it to the threads about my new Nvidia Shield and my 3D-capable projector.

So far no joy, unless someone makes a room-sized Google Cardboard.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Roku Media Player 5.0 App Update

RMP updated to 5.0.10 (even without RokuOS 9.3) for all current models.

RMP 5 is not even remotely (pun intended) ready for release:

1) Regressive UI:
A) Way-too-large Media Server icons
B) List view massively wasted space (columns too wide, fonts too small, skipped lines/space between columns and rows)
C) Grid view massively wasted space (icons too large, short row setting wasted space (second row unreadable), etc)
D) Help allows topic selection but no further action; sometimes crashes back to Home
E) Doesn't display properly on 4:3 output (upper left quarter screen only)

2) Many settings dont work until they have been toggled at least once (e.g. Display Format)
3) Favorite DLNA Server setting is nonfunctional
4) Autorun is nonfunctional
5) OK selection nonfunctional in List view settings dialog box
6) Unplayable media files momentarily play and fall back to the details screen with no error message
7) Randomly exits back to Home
8) Etc, etc, etc...

At best, this is an early beta - considering Roku's (understandably) very slow rollout of 9.3 with all of its (continuing) dysfunctionality, its surprising that Roku is pushing RMP 5 out, especially with no (hidden/secret/developer) rollback option (unlike RokuOS itself).

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I beta tested RMP 5, but it seems my alerts to the beta group failed and I wasn't aware he was releasing it yet. I mentioned the wasted space in the UI, but it seems they wanted to get this release pushed out for some reason.

That said, I didn't encounter some of the issues you mention, although I will say I probably hadn't tried them all. But I thought auto-play was working, i.e. the next video plays after one ends. I didn't have any unplayable media, but then I have good profiles on my Serviio server for Roku devices (I wrote them).

But yes, I was surprised it was released already. I didn't think it was quite ready to go. They also seem to be adding support for Dolby TrueHD in 9.3, but RMP doesn't support it yet either. I would have hoped they would have added that before releasing RMP 5.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Looks like they rolled it back, do an update and media ch looks like it used to, except the home screen tile.
Yep, kept the new icon but reverted to the older version of RMP. This topic exploded on the Roku forum, so I'm sure it will be tested much deeper this time.

On the bright side, they got a ton of issues reported to look at, so they know exactly where to focus. :p

Reactions: tngiloy

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yep, kept the new icon but reverted to the older version of RMP. This topic exploded on the Roku forum, so I'm sure it will be tested much deeper this time.

On the bright side, they got a ton of issues reported to look at, so they know exactly where to focus. :p

Good to know. It updated this morning and was a mess. I already hate the new UI. Started it up again this afternoon and it reverted back to the old UI but, as noted, kept the new icon. I've never had a problem with streaming music from my DLNA server and wonder what issue(s) caused them to roll out a whole new interface.

13441 - 13460 of 13854 Posts