AVS Forum banner

13601 - 13620 of 13837 Posts

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
So is there an iTunes app on the Roku Ultra? Seems the best choice for 4K video.
The AppleTV app connects to your iTunes account and plays items from the cloud, not your local computer or iDevice. Mine is linked to Movies Anywhere, so all my digital media as available via Apple TV, MA, Vudu, Google Movies and Prime video. However, my 4K titles are not available in 4k from all of them. I have to jump around to find a 4K version sometimes, although I think MA usually has them all in 4K now.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I tried to set up MA on my Roku Ultra but was not successful. I tried to use the usual go through an tied account, in this case Prime, But was unsuccessful. Any advice?
I hadn't logged into MA on my Ultra 4670, so I just tried it. I used the computer method, which provides a code that I entered into their web site once I logged it. The app was activated and showing my movies within about 15 seconds of entering the code. But I'm not logging in via Prime. You have to have a MA account, and then link your MA account to Prime, iTunes, Vudu, etc.

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
So is there an iTunes app on the Roku Ultra? Seems the best choice for 4K video.
I've seen the higher bitrates on iTunes using the ATV4K device. I haven't seen these higher bitrates when using the Apple TV app on another device.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Where's iTunes on Roku? Search for the Apple TV app in Roku streaming apps. Sign in with Apple ID. You can watch rentals, purchases and movies linked through Movies Anywhere like Vudu and Google Play.

Apple TV+ and Apple TV OTT channels and Apple TV watch app are there too. What I don't see is Apple music. Must be different app.

You can also rent and buy TV and movie iTunes content. I can even see upcoming titles to add to Up Next.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
996 Posts
I tried to set up MA on my Roku Ultra but was not successful. I tried to use the usual go through an tied account, in this case Prime, But was unsuccessful. Any advice?
Not sure what you've done that didn't work out right? There's a Movies Anywhere app for Roku but you need to link your movies and users through the Movies Anywhere website or mobile apps. Your TV devices would use the movies anywhere login credentials from my recollection. I haven't heard of using another login like AP working in MA?

When linked, you could watch through Amazon Prime app but not get the free 4K upgrades the iTunes offers in 4K but HD. But seems Movies Anywhere does

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
I found this but like I said, it's been a while. I have tested various bit rates and have seen personally where 4k HDR titles on iTunes are in the low 30 Mbps.
Gotcha. I tried searching and didn't find anything, which is why I ended up asking here. All I could find was Netflix and itunes numbers (and even those weren't recent), so what you shared is the best information I have.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
The AppleTV app connects to your iTunes account and plays items from the cloud, not your local computer or iDevice. Mine is linked to Movies Anywhere, so all my digital media as available via Apple TV, MA, Vudu, Google Movies and Prime video. However, my 4K titles are not available in 4k from all of them. I have to jump around to find a 4K version sometimes, although I think MA usually has them all in 4K now.
I've mainly used the Apple TV app on my Ultra to watch the Apple TV+ series For All Mankind (produced for them by Sony), but while in there, I did notice it had things from my Movies Anywhere library.

So the interesting question is whether the AppleTV app on the Roku gets those things at the same bitrates as the iTunes app on an Apple device gets them.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
^^^^ @Philnick , for most (here on AVS, anyway), the point is moot, as the ATV+ app doesn't support Atmos on the Roku's (anyone can correct me if I'm wrong), but your MA titles will be HDR+Atmos on the Roku VUDU app (provided the title has both in VUDU, of course).

·
UHD Addict
37,084 Posts
Movies Anywhere it is then for any films in that library, then VUDU and then Amazon Prime.
I've found that films I've bought directly from VUDU that they cross over to the others, but TV shows don't.
Just because it has the highest bitrate does not necessarily mean they have the best quality. The way it was encoded is also a major factor. So a 16Mb/s encode could be equal to a 23Mb/s encode. It's just not as black and white as looked for the highest bitrate since each service will do their own encoding.

Reactions: galonzo and Keenan

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
Just because it has the highest bitrate does not necessarily mean they have the best quality. The way it was encoded is also a major factor. So a 16Mb/s encode could be equal to a 23Mb/s encode. It's just not as black and white as looked for the highest bitrate since each service will do their own encoding.
True, I'm currently re-watching all of the Harry Potter movies in 4k and I think they look lousy on disc. I've seen plenty of 4k HDR streaming movies that looked much better than these on disc and the bitrate is 3 or 4 times as much.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Well @Wendell R. Breland , except that their chart lists VUDU as supporting Dolby Vision on all Roku streaming devices (none of them support DV). Otherwise, good chart :D

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
^^^^ @Philnick , for most (here on AVS, anyway), the point is moot, as the ATV+ app doesn't support Atmos on the Roku's (anyone can correct me if I'm wrong), but your MA titles will be HDR+Atmos on the Roku VUDU app (provided the title has both in VUDU, of course).
I'm a multi-streamer guy at this point. For a long time I used a Roku Ultra for everything, then I added a FireStick to get the HD version of Amazon Music Unlimited (and to get better than mp3 quality from it you have to lock the Stick's output to stereo PCM).

A month ago I added a 2019 Nvidia Shield for its excellent AI Upscaling of 1080 streams, extending the life of my purchased VUDU/Amazon/Movies Anywhere library.

At this point, the Shield is my main streamer, with the Roku being used just for Apple TV+, which isn't on the Shield. My main use for Apple TV+ is for the Sony-produced Apple TV+ exclusive series For All Mankind, an alternative history of the Apollo program which says "What if the space program didn't end - because the Soviet Union landed on the Moon a month before the US - leading us to move the goalposts to exploring the whole solar system and beyond?" It's very intense, focusing on the personal lives of the fictional astronauts in the story, Werner VonBraun being chased out of NASA because of his opposition to its increasing militarization - by exposing his background with the Nazis - and lots more. It's helmed by a guy who was a showrunner for Battlestar Galactica who - according to Wired Magazine - had plotted out seven seasons by the time it was greenlit. The first season (about 10 episodes) aired early this year, and is all there now to binge-watch.

Reactions: Robbie Racer

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Same here, @Philnick , my 2019 Shield Pro is now my "primary" streamer (maminly for bit-streamed Atmos with Netflix), and I now only use the Roku for 4K/HDR with YT, so barely at all; as I posted in this thread previously, I found my AVR's access to Amazon Music supports the highest quality:
View attachment 2631132

·
Registered
202 Posts
Possibly not the best place to ask this, but didn't the older Nvidia Shield have an issue where you had to manually change the color bit depth when switching between SDR and HDR? Does the latest version have this problem?

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Possibly not the best place to ask this, but didn't the older Nvidia Shield have an issue where you had to manually change the color bit depth when switching between SDR and HDR? Does the latest version have this problem?
I've had the '17 Shield for a couple of years, and also have the latest version (tube model). They, along with my Roku Ultra, have never had an issue with HDR displaying well. If any of them handled the color space incorrectly, I never noticed it on my Samsung JU7100. Even though that TV is only quasi-HDR, it still offers a very nice image with HDR content. I can't say the same for my Samsung NU7100.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I have a 2019 Shield feeding a 4K HDR10 JVC projector and have never had any need to manually change color settings in the Shield or any of my streamers or my UHD disk player or projector. The switch between HDR and SDR is always completely automatic.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
confirmed @MentatYP , the issue has been fixed (well, at least on the 2019 Shields, I don't have an older one to say firsthand).

·
Registered
21,193 Posts
At this point, the Shield is my main streamer, with the Roku being used just for Apple TV+, which isn't on the Shield. My main use for Apple TV+ is for the Sony-produced Apple TV+ exclusive series For All Mankind, an alternative history of the Apollo program which says "What if the space program didn't end - because the Soviet Union landed on the Moon a month before the US - leading us to move the goalposts to exploring the whole solar system and beyond?" It's very intense, focusing on the personal lives of the fictional astronauts in the story, Werner VonBraun being chased out of NASA because of his opposition to its increasing militarization - by exposing his background with the Nazis - and lots more. It's helmed by a guy who was a showrunner for Battlestar Galactica who - according to Wired Magazine - had plotted out seven seasons by the time it was greenlit. The first season (about 10 episodes) aired early this year, and is all there now to binge-watch.
Thanks for the tip about For All Mankind on AppleTV+. Don’t know how I had missed noticing an HDR Atmos series starring Joel Kinnaman but there it is. Thanks again!

13601 - 13620 of 13837 Posts