AVS Forum banner

13621 - 13640 of 13818 Posts

·
Registered
20,223 Posts
Thanks for the tip about For All Mankind on AppleTV+. Don’t know how I had missed noticing an HDR Atmos series starring Joel Kinnaman but there it is. Thanks again!

You may want to hold off (if not subscribed) as Foundation (based upon book series) trailer was just released and coming to AppleTV+ later this year.

·
Registered
21,187 Posts
You may want to hold off (if not subscribed) as Foundation (based upon book series) trailer was just released and coming to AppleTV+ later this year.
I’ve had an AppleTV+ subscription from its inception so I’m good to go.

Reactions: Ph8te

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I am a long time on and off Roku user, including the very first DVP N1000 and then the HD-XR. I've had a variety of sticks and table-top Rokus as well as the first three generations of AppleTVs, and more recently Amazon Firesticks. I still really prefer the Roku interface, but recently we have been using the Firesticks more in our house, despite them being laggier, less-intuitive, and full of ads. There are a variety of reasons for this that all boil down to problems with the recent batch (past 4 years really) of Roku devices, and I am hoping to get some help here with enough of these that I can justify moving back to Roku. Here is the list of the primary Roku issues I would like to solve:

1. 2018 Ultra 4661- Most of the time, it requires a reboot before it will play content when using the headphone jack on the remote. It will not work with the Roku App and BT headphones most of the time. That is, every time I try, the Roku reboots itself and won't successfully start playback before rebooting again. This is in our family room, and I watch TV at night with the headphones after my wife goes to sleep in an adjacent room. With the Firestick, I just connect the BT headphones wirelessly with no issues which is why I often end up using it instead.

2. 2016 Premier+ 4630- I picked up a Roku Voice Remote for this unit, so we could control volume and mute the Samsung TV in the kitchen. Randomly, the volume up/down buttons will reverse function, and controlling the volume becomes counter-intuitive. The only way to fix is to pull the batteries in the remote and re-insert them. Needless to say, the Firestick remote controls the volume just fine.

3. 2016 Stick+ 3810 & 2018 Ultra 4661 - Roku Voice Remote and Ultra Remote will not power off Sony TVs on first try. Multiple tries are required before the TV will finally power off. The Firestick remote has no issues with theses TVs either.

A lot of people would probably say, if the Firesticks work so well, why not just use them? Well, there are a number of issues I have with those devices as well, including dropped frames resulting in choppy video playback, especially with AppleTV+ and Disney+ which the Roku doesn't exhibit. Then there are the aforementioned UI and advertising annoyances. I have tried all the recommended steps to make my Firesticks perform better. I also tried a NVIDIA Shield, and it resolved many of the issues, but those are expensive, I have 4 rooms with TVs we watch regularly, and I've already invested in both Roku and Firestick devices which should work for our pretty pedestrian needs.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions on how to resolve any or all of my issues, I'd appreciate the help!

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I am a long time on and off Roku user, including the very first DVP N1000 and then the HD-XR. I've had a variety of sticks and table-top Rokus as well as the first three generations of AppleTVs, and more recently Amazon Firesticks. I still really prefer the Roku interface, but recently we have been using the Firesticks more in our house, despite them being laggier, less-intuitive, and full of ads. There are a variety of reasons for this that all boil down to problems with the recent batch (past 4 years really) of Roku devices, and I am hoping to get some help here with enough of these that I can justify moving back to Roku. Here is the list of the primary Roku issues I would like to solve:

Not sure this is the answer you expected, but: why don't you just upgrade/buy new hardware? It's not like these things are that expensive, and Roku continues to add great "free" content. I have 1 Premiere+ and 2 SS+, but all newer models/versions than what you have...and have none of the issues you describe (and I use a couple of the remotes for TV control).

·
Registered
995 Posts

1. 2018 Ultra 4661- Most of the time, it requires a reboot before it will play content when using the headphone jack on the remote. It will not work with the Roku App and BT headphones most of the time. That is, every time I try, the Roku reboots itself and won't successfully start playback before rebooting again. This is in our family room, and I watch TV at night with the headphones after my wife goes to sleep in an adjacent room. With the Firestick, I just connect the BT headphones wirelessly with no issues which is why I often end up using it instead.

2. 2016 Premier+ 4630- I picked up a Roku Voice Remote for this unit, so we could control volume and mute the Samsung TV in the kitchen. Randomly, the volume up/down buttons will reverse function, and controlling the volume becomes counter-intuitive. The only way to fix is to pull the batteries in the remote and re-insert them. Needless to say, the Firestick remote controls the volume just fine.

3. 2016 Stick+ 3810 & 2018 Ultra 4661 - Roku Voice Remote and Ultra Remote will not power off Sony TVs on first try. Multiple tries are required before the TV will finally power off. The Firestick remote has no issues with theses TVs either.

A lot of people would probably say, if the Firesticks work so well, why not just use them? Well, there are a number of issues I have with those devices as well, including dropped frames resulting in choppy video playback, especially with AppleTV+ and Disney+ which the Roku doesn't exhibit. Then there are the aforementioned UI and advertising annoyances. I have tried all the recommended steps to make my Firesticks perform better. I also tried a NVIDIA Shield, and it resolved many of the issues, but those are expensive, I have 4 rooms with TVs we watch regularly, and I've already invested in both Roku and Firestick devices which should work for our pretty pedestrian needs.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions on how to resolve any or all of my issues, I'd appreciate the help!
Have you tried factory reset the devices and pairing the remotes again? I've factory reset my Roku 4660 for subtitles missing or not working correctly. Other things you describe aren't familiar to me but worth a try. Things happen.

I also had HDMI issues where one device seemingly effected the other (in my case I suspected the Apple TV 4K was effecting the Roku 4660). But an HDMI switch with dedicated HDMI audio out for non HDCP compliant AVR solved many problems for me.

On the device front, I'm waiting for what's next. To soon to be buying old tech.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Have you tried factory reset the devices and pairing the remotes again? I've factory reset my Roku 4660 for subtitles missing or not working correctly. Other things you describe aren't familiar to me but worth a try. Things happen.

I also had HDMI issues where one device seemingly effected the other (in my case I suspected the Apple TV 4K was effecting the Roku 4660). But an HDMI switch with dedicated HDMI audio out for non HDCP compliant AVR solved many problems for me.

On the device front, I'm waiting for what's next. To soon to be buying old tech.

So what is next that you think is worth considering? Something from Roku? It seems like every platform is missing something, whether it is HBOMax (and soon to be Peacock) on Roku and Firestick or AppleTV+ on AndroidTV.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Not sure this is the answer you expected, but: why don't you just upgrade/buy new hardware? It's not like these things are that expensive, and Roku continues to add great "free" content. I have 1 Premiere+ and 2 SS+, but all newer models/versions than what you have...and have none of the issues you describe (and I use a couple of the remotes for TV control).

Thanks for responding. As most of my problems seem to be remote-related, how would you expect a newer streaming device solve my problems? I am not being contrary. I am genuinely curious.

·
Registered
995 Posts
So what is next that you think is worth considering? Something from Roku? It seems like every platform is missing something, whether it is HBOMax (and soon to be Peacock) on Roku and Firestick or AppleTV+ on AndroidTV.
I don't have Chromecast or Android TV. And I'm not so interested in HBO Max or Peacock at the moment. But yes, I'm curious about the next generation Chromecast rumored to have HDMI 2.1, a remote and integrated live TV with YouTube TV. It's also said to be working on dedicated up next app that isn't so new but if it actually focuses on content rather than switching apps, I'd try it but not counting on a game changing UI for TV and content. You can Google "Sabrina" plus Google read about the rumors. Supposedly it was going to launch as early as May the year but held up for reasons that only Google likely knows.

I was also considering the TiVo Stream 4K but watched the various threads and decided against it for now. Too many bugs and Google may have a better baked in OS solution with the content and recordings coming.

Roku TV or Android TV may be a possible TV platform inclusion that comes with my next TV. I've been burned by manufacturers abandware in smart TVs; those platforms may have some longer term prospects for TV apps and timely updates. I'm looking at TCL upcoming TVs for later this year. No hard and fast decisions to be made there either. I'm waiting for results that I could appreciate and possibly a price drop.

·
UHD Addict
37,066 Posts
Possibly not the best place to ask this, but didn't the older Nvidia Shield have an issue where you had to manually change the color bit depth when switching between SDR and HDR? Does the latest version have this problem?
That was only with certain TVs. I never had that issue with my TCL and Sony UHD TVs.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts

After dealing with several annoying reboots this evening, I decided to try the Factory Reset. I've done this before with no real improvement. Well, tonight, Roku activation seems to be unavailable, so now I am stuck with an unusable device. Not your fault, but annoying nonetheless. I hate to say it, but I think Roku has really lost their way which is sad.

·
Registered
995 Posts
After dealing with several annoying reboots this evening, I decided to try the Factory Reset. I've done this before with no real improvement. Well, tonight, Roku activation seems to be unavailable, so now I am stuck with an unusable device. Not your fault, but annoying nonetheless. I hate to say it, but I think Roku has really lost their way which is sad.
Sorry about that.

Have you tried different browser? If Android phone, are you using an ad blocker? Turn it off. Crazy things I've experienced include Chrome doesn't work but incognito mode does. Chrome beta doesn't work but Chrome or Firefox (Mozilla) does.

PC Chrome doesn't work but Microsoft Edge browser works.

All the above not necessarily Roku activation but various issues I've came across with websites.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Another trick that makes absolutely no sense, but seems to work, is to use a phone hotspot to complete the setup and account linking. Once completed, users have connected back to their home network and it worked fine. As I said, it doesn't make any sense, but I've seen dozens of reports from users that said they could complete their setup after nothing else worked.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
995 Posts
Another trick that makes absolutely no sense, but seems to work, is to use a phone hotspot to complete the setup and account linking. Once completed, users have connected back to their home network and it worked fine. As I said, it doesn't make any sense, but I've seen dozens of reports from users that said they could complete their setup after nothing else worked.
I haven't heard of that trick. Don't doubt it though. I've had plenty of issues over the years with activation and account access.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Sorry about that.

Have you tried different browser? If Android phone, are you using an ad blocker? Turn it off. Crazy things I've experienced include Chrome doesn't work but incognito mode does. Chrome beta doesn't work but Chrome or Firefox (Mozilla) does.

PC Chrome doesn't work but Microsoft Edge browser works.

All the above not necessarily Roku activation but various issues I've came across with websites.

Roku finally put up a message on their website that it was currently impossible to do activations. Seems to be fixed now.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Thanks for responding. As most of my problems seem to be remote-related, how would you expect a newer streaming device solve my problems? I am not being contrary. I am genuinely curious.

Remotes have firmware (containing product codes) just like everything else...there just isn't a way (usually) to update them. Not saying that's right, just that it could be a factor in your situation.

FWIW, I've given up on any TV-based app services, as TV manufacturers (over time) are in the business of selling TVs, not updating software (I got almost 5 years out of my TV before I finally had to give up and go Roku). With a dominant 40% market share among streaming devices, I don't think Roku is going anywhere anytime soon.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Remotes have firmware (containing product codes) just like everything else...there just isn't a way (usually) to update them. Not saying that's right, just that it could be a factor in your situation.

FWIW, I've given up on any TV-based app services, as TV manufacturers (over time) are in the business of selling TVs, not updating software (I got almost 5 years out of my TV before I finally had to give up and go Roku). With a dominant 40% market share among streaming devices, I don't think Roku is going anywhere anytime soon.

FYI, Roku can/does release remote firmware updates through the normal update process, usually accompanying RokuOS updates, but not always.

While it may seem superficially expedient to move from TV-based apps to streamer-based apps relative to app update frequency, there are many cases where the TV-based app is just more capable (or easier to use) than its streamer counterparts, even with fewer updates (e.g. access to built-in Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos and/or the Magic Remote of LG TVs...).

And while its true Roku is the dominant streaming platform for now, the extended bungled still-very-buggy rollout of RokuOS 9.3 across its device footprint, coupled with their vastly reduced COVID19-justified support presence, along with increasing competitive functionality disadvantage (e.g. lack of DV or audio-decoding/transcoding across its entire device line etc), and a delayed/lacking/unannounced 2020 product line make for an ideal environment for competitors/loss of market share.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I never use any of the apps on my TVs as I find CEC to be the work of the devil.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I never use any of the apps on my TVs as I find CEC to be the work of the devil.
My LG C9s internal apps that I use (NetFlix, YouTube, Prime) are the fastest loading, no lipsync error, glitch free apps that are on any of my 3 devices... C9, Roku Ultra and Sony X700 UHD player.

CEC is off, with only eARC enabled for a seamless home theater experience.... but I do agree with you about CEC.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts

I never use any built-in apps on TVs either, but I use CEC all the time with soundbars and an AVR and never have an issue. I have had a couple of buggy devices, like the Dish Hopper 3, but that has been rare.

13621 - 13640 of 13818 Posts