AVS Forum banner

13641 - 13660 of 13837 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
I never use any built-in apps on TVs either, but I use CEC all the time with soundbars and an AVR and never have an issue. I have had a couple of buggy devices, like the Dish Hopper 3, but that has been rare.
Well, I use Pronto TSU9400 universal remotes to control all of my devices and enabling CEC interferes with their control of the AVR and sources. I really don't need its help! :)

Reactions: tngiloy and ncted

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
My LG C9s internal apps that I use (NetFlix, YouTube, Prime) are the fastest loading, no lipsync error, glitch free apps that are on any of my 3 devices... C9, Roku Ultra and Sony X700 UHD player.

Give it a couple of years, and support for the LG apps will wane (even my OS has been "abandoned"). Like I said my 2015 vintage LG was OK until a couple of years ago. Not complaining...just stating the facts. I am much happier with an outboard streaming device (definitely have better audio support).

·
Registered
401 Posts
Give it a couple of years, and support for the LG apps will wane (even my OS has been "abandoned"). Like I said my 2015 vintage LG was OK until a couple of years ago. Not complaining...just stating the facts. I am much happier with an outboard streaming device (definitely have better audio support).
If your OS (assuming TV OS) was NetCast, then of course it was "abandoned" - LG moved its development to WebOS. If it was an earlier version of WebOS, it too was "abandoned" since development is dedicated to developing new/er versions. That's pretty standard OS development behavior going back decades for the IT industry (e.g. Microsoft isnt developing/developing for DOS, 95, XP, or even early revisions of Windows 10)

As far as app updates for LG TVs go, its dependent upon the OS/model/app, but in general app development updates can/do happen years later: a 2012 NetCast-based LG TV I own had a firmware update 2 years ago (6 years after release) to update the Hulu app; My 2017 C7 had Disney+, Movies Anywhere, & Twitch apps newly added just in the last half year (3 years after release), not to mention continuing app updates for those and other apps since model launch (2 were updated today even - Prime and Vudu).

There's no reason to conclude that a 2019 C9, which is also receiving new apps (more so than the C7)/app updates, based on an even newer WebOS version (4.8 versus 3.8), would somehow have a smaller update window/lifespan than a 2017 C7 (just the opposite if anything).

And while the built-in audio support of your 2015 LG may be inferior to an external streamer, 2017 (and later, until 2020 for DTS-HD support) LG OLED and Premium LED/LCD models have TrueHD (OLED), Atmos, & DTS-HD decoding/transcoding/passthrough via HDMI/eARC(2019)/ARC.

So while the apps on a more-recent external streamer (such as Roku) may be superior to the internal apps of a 2015 LG TV, that advantage becomes little/none/disadvantage relative to a 2017 or later LG TV, especially in terms of Dolby Vision/Atmos/Magic Remote functionality...

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
So while the apps on a more-recent external streamer (such as Roku) may be superior to the internal apps of a 2015 LG TV, that advantage becomes little/none/disadvantage relative to a 2017 or later LG TV, especially in terms of Dolby Vision/Atmos/Magic Remote functionality...

I thought the same thing...until tech moved on and support was no longer cost effective. Like I said, TV manufacturers are in the business of selling TVs, not app support. Not complaining given the cutthroat CE business...just stating the facts.

Reactions: MentatYP and ncted

·
Registered
153 Posts
Disney + (1.5.2020062100). Prime (11.4.2020060412), etc

Test & verify, etc
I checked my Roku and found that Disney+ had automatically updated the firmware but I can't find the current firmware version in the Prime app. Can someone point me to the correct place to find that info?

·
Registered
996 Posts
I checked my Roku and found that Disney+ had automatically updated the firmware but I can't find the current firmware version in the Prime app. Can someone point me to the correct place to find that info?
What usually works is highlight that app on home screen and press the asterick button for more info. You'll see the version along with all options, even check for update.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
What usually works is highlight that app on home screen and press the asterick button for more info. You'll see the version along with all options, even check for update.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Awesome! That worked and I was able to update to the latest F/W. :)

Reactions: brotony

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
After my Roku Smart Soundbar was updated the voice search wasn't working correctly. It allowed me to search by actor's name, but if I tried to mute or volume up or ask for YTTV or any app by name it wouldn't respond. Bringing up on roku community after a day they had me restart it which I did previously, and did a quick 5 item update it fixed it. There are many complaining about this on roku community, they think the cause is where it was purchased. ;( The culprit update was build 4175-95

·
Registered
401 Posts
Disney + (1.5.2020062100). Prime (11.4.2020060412), etc

Test & verify, etc

This update enables the new Prime UI (not necessarily rolled out to all devices, in the process of being rolled out to all platforms):

• left-justified header content (modified: "Purchases & Rentals","Watchlist" are removed/moved to "My Stuff"),
  • vertically instead of horizontally aligned submenus (e.g. search/settings/my stuff)
  • increased vertical spacing between rows (less efficient)
  • subtitles (finally) follow global Roku subtitles/captions formatting settings
  • search requires an additional step of selecting an initial result before showing playable content
  • lacks video streaming quality information (unlike the prime/prime video app(s) on Amazon's own platform..)

Overall, aside from the subtitles following the global Roku caption/subtitle settings, its a slight step backwards in terms of space/usage efficiency.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
This update enables the new Prime UI (not necessarily rolled out to all devices, in the process of being rolled out to all platforms):

• left-justified header content (modified: "Purchases & Rentals","Watchlist" are removed/moved to "My Stuff"),
  • vertically instead of horizontally aligned submenus (e.g. search/settings/my stuff)
  • increased vertical spacing between rows (less efficient)
  • subtitles (finally) follow global Roku subtitles/captions formatting settings
  • search requires an additional step of selecting an initial result before showing playable content
  • lacks video streaming quality information (unlike the prime/prime video app(s) on Amazon's own platform..)

Overall, aside from the subtitles following the global Roku caption/subtitle settings, its a slight step backwards in terms of space/usage efficiency.
Can't say that it's an improvement myself. It's still difficult and time consuming to locate the 4K version of something. I'm looking at it on my 43" 4K Sharp Roku TV, and the UI doesn't even look like 1080. All of the images are soft and a little fuzzy, dare I even say pixalated. I realize I'm only sitting 3-4 feet away from the screen (I use it as a computer monitor while teleworking) but it doesn't look good at all. Started an actual 4K movie (The Avengers) and it looks OK. It's just the UI that is screaming 720p or lower.

I also noticed with that movie that my display did not indicate HDR content was being displayed. I checked the settings to make sure that indicator was still enabled. Then I tried an HDR test clip with RMP, and still no indicator. Looks like the latest Roku OS update has broken the HDR indicator. :mad:

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Is anyone having trouble with the NASA/NASA UHD channels? NASA just shows a black screen whereas NASA UHD opens to a splash screen and then crashes back to the UI. My 4670 is on the latest official firmware...

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Is anyone having trouble with the NASA/NASA UHD channels? NASA just shows a black screen whereas NASA UHD opens to a splash screen and then crashes back to the UI. My 4670 is on the latest official firmware...
That started when I downloaded 9.3.0 and/or updated my apps on the same day. Using 4660 Ultra.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Can't say that it's an improvement myself. It's still difficult and time consuming to locate the 4K version of something.

I will never understand why Amazon doesn't sense/check the display type and select the highest available resolution (like Netflix has done for years). Then they make it worse by "hiding" UHD/4K versions of their shows! While they have been a leader in UHD content/quality, they have lagged severely in delivering a quality UI.

·
Registered
401 Posts

Its an app loading issue with 9.3 affecting many apps, though many have already been fixed with compatibility layer updates. Roku has been informed several times about the NASA UHD app, but still hasnt issued an update or worked with the app provider for an updated app.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I will never understand why Amazon doesn't sense/check the display type and select the highest available resolution (like Netflix has done for years). Then they make it worse by "hiding" UHD/4K versions of their shows! While they have been a leader in UHD content/quality, they have lagged severely in delivering a quality UI.

Don't be so hard on Amazon - it only took them 3+ years to deliver an app update to enable/fix subtitle formatting control on Roku, though video streaming quality indication still remains elusive... (though not on their own competing platform of course, where neither have ever been an issue...)

·
Registered
10,198 Posts
My internal Amazon Prime app on my Sony A8H selects the correct resolution. I've been unable to find any series or movies in DV on Amazon. I've had such good luck using the internal apps I've stopped using the Roku Ultra. When they stop updating the internal apps, or I encounter problems, I'll go back to the RU or buy the new Apple 4K when they release it.

I use this link to find 4K movies on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/storefront/ref=atv_hm_hom_1_c_tmuhdm_15?ie=UTF8&merchId=uhd&pf_rd_i=home&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3550769762&pf_rd_r=H995EZ5Q4C8D8ZRJN1BW&pf_rd_s=center-24&pf_rd_t=12401

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
My internal Amazon Prime app on my Sony A8H selects the correct resolution. I've been unable to find any series or movies in DV on Amazon. I've had such good luck using the internal apps I've stopped using the Roku Ultra. When they stop updating the internal apps, or I encounter problems, I'll go back to the RU or buy the new Apple 4K when they release it.

I use this link to find 4K movies on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/storefront/ref=atv_hm_hom_1_c_tmuhdm_15?ie=UTF8&merchId=uhd&pf_rd_i=home&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3550769762&pf_rd_r=H995EZ5Q4C8D8ZRJN1BW&pf_rd_s=center-24&pf_rd_t=12401
Jack Ryan Season 1 Ep1 plays in DolbyVision HDR on my Sony 900F's internal Amazon App. I watched the series many moons ago on my ATV4K on another DV equipped TV.

·
Registered
10,198 Posts
Jack Ryan Season 1 Ep1 plays in DolbyVision HDR on my Sony 900F's internal Amazon App. I watched the series many moons ago on my ATV4K on another DV equipped TV.
Good catch. I looked at S2, which was in HDR, but didn't look at S1, and all of S1 is in DV.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Possibly not the best place to ask this, but didn't the older Nvidia Shield have an issue where you had to manually change the color bit depth when switching between SDR and HDR? Does the latest version have this problem?
Yes, for sure an older Shield I bought before my Ultra did. Gave up on it. I read this was fixed but have not tested a new one. Happy with the Ultra.

BJBBJB

13641 - 13660 of 13837 Posts