AVS Forum banner

13841 - 13860 of 13949 Posts

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
I'm unable to get my 4670 (connected to my Denon AVR) to pass Atmos from Netflix. It does pass Atmos from Disney+ but not Netflix for me. I have to stream Netflix either through my Blu-ray player or the TV's app to get Atmos from Netflix.
True correct, Atmos isn't supported on the Netflix's Roku implementation.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Your current Ultra should pass it fine? My Premiere + from 2016 passes Atmos in all supported apps.
Well it doesn't pass Atmos in Netflix however I have read the Roku 4670 does pass it in Netflix

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
:) @mattg3 Did you see the reply above? Netflix doesn't do Atmos on the Rokus. Netflix does do Atmos on the AppleTV4K and Android TV devices like the nVidia Shield.
Only the 2019 model of the Shield will support Atmos on Netflix. I have two 2017 model of the Shield and they do not support Atmos on Netflix.

·
Registered
563 Posts
What exactly are you looking to do? Are you trying to take the multi channel discreet audio from today's video sources and then output it ad a 5.1 mix via an optical out to then input into a set of surround headphones? And before the audio is sent out the optical out you also want apply equalization and channel level adjustments?

What you're looking for would be a pretty specialized product that may or may not exist. You may get better answers in a forum room devoted to headphone audio.
OK! I found software that does binaural virtualization, and am taking some of my issues to the AVSf Headphone subforum:

www.avsforum.com/threads/are-dolby-access-dts-headphone-x-and-thx-better-than-hesuvi-eq-apo.3165170

Maybe people on the headphone subforum have struggled with the same issues. I see there is also an AVS subforum that includes reviews of audio extractors, which some people there have used to extract surround sound from Roku boxes.

Apparently the way I connect my equipment matters in ways I didn't understand. I followed the directions that came with the AVR instead of those that came with my Roku box, and connected the Roku to the AVR instead of directly to the TV (and outputting sound from my TV to my AVR). I also needed to disconnect other sources from my AVR. Because of my TV's limitations, doing what Roku says won't work either, but at least I understand now what is happening.

Getting AV stuff to work is so complicated now! There are many different pieces of hardware to coordinate, and many constraints to work around, especially with surround sound. If you want to do something the manufacturers don't specifically design for, you may need a lot of extra hardware and software. No wonder some people hire experts to help.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Apparently the way I connect my equipment matters in ways I didn't understand. I followed the directions that came with the AVR instead of those that came with my Roku box, and connected the Roku to the AVR instead of directly to the TV (and outputting sound from my TV to my AVR). I also needed to disconnect other sources from my AVR. Because of my TV's limitations, doing what Roku says won't work either, but at least I understand now what is happening.
My Sony Receiver will pass 4K, but will not pass HDR, so I do not run any video through the receiver. My Roku Ultra is plugged directly in the the TV, and audio from the TV is ported to the receiver. The LG TV does pass DD+ from the Roku. For discs, the Sony X-700 allows me to feed the video into the TV and separatley the audio into the amp, so I get the DTS-HD Master Audio and the Dolby True HD.

·
Registered
527 Posts
OK! I found software that does binaural virtualization, and am taking some of my issues to the AVSf Headphone subforum:

www.avsforum.com/threads/are-dolby-access-dts-headphone-x-and-thx-better-than-hesuvi-eq-apo.3165170

Maybe people on the headphone subforum have struggled with the same issues. I see there is also an AVS subforum that includes reviews of audio extractors, which some people there have used to extract surround sound from Roku boxes.

Getting AV stuff to work is so complicated now! There are many different pieces of hardware to coordinate, and many constraints to work around, especially with surround sound. If you want to do something the manufacturers don't specifically design for, you may need a lot of extra hardware and software. No wonder some people hire experts to help.
My Sony Receiver will pass 4K, but will not pass HDR, so I do not run any video through the receiver. My Roku Ultra is plugged directly in the the TV, and audio from the TV is ported to the receiver. The LG TV does pass DD+ from the Roku. For discs, the Sony X-700 allows me to feed the video into the TV and separatley the audio into the amp, so I get the DTS-HD Master Audio and the Dolby True HD.
Running everything through the AV Receiver is the best and simplest way to connect everything, unless of course your receiver doesn't support HDR as in @See The Light's case. In that case the only option is how @See The Light connected his Roku to his TV, and then use the ARC channel back to the receiver.

@MRG1 you may be losing out on HDR running the Roku through your RXV-863, I don't know if that supports 4K HDR or not, I think it may pre-date 4K but could be wrong. I've had issues here and there getting my stuff working from time to time, but overall I find AV stuff very easy to get working, though it helps if your mind leans to the technical side. What you are trying to accomplish with your headphones is much more complicated than what most people do. On question, which version of the Roku Ultra do you have, the original 2017 version or the 2019 version. The 2017 version had an optical digital out that would output audio directly to a receiver while still being able to connect the HDMI direct to the TV. The only caveat with the Optical out is that it was limited to normal DD5.1 and won't pass DD+. If you can do what you want to do using an optical input you may look around for an old 2017 version of the ultra.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Running everything through the AV Receiver is the best and simplest way to connect everything, unless of course your receiver doesn't support HDR as in @See The Light's case. In that case the only option is how @See The Light connected his Roku to his TV, and then use the ARC channel back to the receiver....
My AVR doesn't have 4K, HDR or ARC - but my TV is an older 1080p model, and doesn't have them either, and its coaxial digital output is 2 channel stereo, so the AVR is currently irrelevant. I have the Roku Ultra 2019. One thing my AVR lacks that yours maybe has is a built in binaural virtualizer.

@MRG1 The 2017 version had an optical digital out that would output audio directly to a receiver while still being able to connect the HDMI direct to the TV. The only caveat with the Optical out is that it was limited to normal DD5.1 and won't pass DD+. If you can do what you want to do using an optical input you may look around for an old 2017 version of the ultra.
[/QUOTE]

Oh! I assumed the 2019 model was better in every respect. I failed to do the research I should have.

Perhaps the right way to view Roku boxes, is as a way to stream a wide variety of channels cheaply and well, and not try to do non-standard things. It is still the most reliable streamer I have when it comes to handling Internet speed variation and dropouts, and it gets some channels I can't get through my PC or Android TV.

Binaural sound has been played with since the 1800's, but has never really caught on. So I guess it is unlikely that purely mass market dedicated streaming boxes like the Roku will bother with it. Based on traffic in this thread, they haven't even pressed most channels and app developers hard enough to provide surround sound, which is much more common.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Oh! I assumed the 2019 model was better in every respect. I failed to do the research I should have.
I think they try to provide the features that a lot of people will find useful. The Optical output is only useful to users that have an older receiver that doesn't support 4K HDR. Over time people upgrade their receivers and there are fewer and fewer of these older models still in use, so eventually there is less need to support old tech. I am of the opinion that features shouldn't be taken away. But then again, as long as they keep it around they need to make sure they don't break the output with a firmware update so if they drop the feature it is one less thing to have to worry about and test.

Perhaps the right way to view Roku boxes, is as a way to stream a wide variety of channels cheaply and well, and not try to do non-standard things. It is still the most reliable streamer I have when it comes to handling Internet speed variation and dropouts, and it gets some channels I can't get through my PC or Android TV.

Binaural sound has been played with since the 1800's, but has never really caught on. So I guess it is unlikely that purely mass market dedicated streaming boxes like the Roku will bother with it. Based on traffic in this thread, they haven't even pressed most channels and app developers hard enough to provide surround sound, which is much more common.
I can't agree more on this comment. Roku boxes are mainstream and not really geared towards tweakers. What they do, they do very well. But they don't very many specialized features. I've recently switched to a nVidia Shield Pro 2019 and really like it. It has been rock solid thus far; I've not really had any issues with it either related to variation in internet speed or the Android TV OS. Overall the Shield is a more capable box and Android is more of a tweaker platform so you may research if that has what your looking for, I personally have no idea if it does or doesn't. One note on the Shield though. It also only has a single HDMI and no digital audio output so in that respect it is similar to the current Roku Ultra.

My last comment on receivers... I don't know if there is one in existence that truly has the processing you're looking for. AV receivers/processors are also geared to the mainstream market. Their primary purpose is to provide the best sound possible in a room through amps and loudspeakers. Some do have headphone processing modes, but they normally offer a pretty limited feature set. This is true as you move to the higher end. Not many people are drop $2500 or more on a high end AV receiver/processor just to use it to listen to headphones.

What you're looking for would be a very specialized product, if it exists at all. There are probably computer apps that would do what you're looking for. But that is a topic for another forum thread.

Reactions: aaronwt

·
Registered
537 Posts
My 2015 Samsung 46" 1080p TV did not have ARC. It did have an optical S/PDIF Digital Out, which I ran to the Receiver. But, the only 5.1 that it delivered was from OTA TV. A Roku input to the TV, and the audio out to the receiver from the TV was PCM, from any Roku source.

But that set's gone, and all of those issues with it. I was not as smart as I thought I was when I bought that Samsung in 2015. Older and wiser now.

·
UHD Addict
37,287 Posts
My 2015 Samsung 46" 1080p TV did not have ARC. It did have an optical S/PDIF Digital Out, which I ran to the Receiver. But, the only 5.1 that it delivered was from OTA TV. A Roku input to the TV, and the audio out to the receiver from the TV was PCM, from any Roku source.

But that set's gone, and all of those issues with it. I was not as smart as I thought I was when I bought that Samsung in 2015. Older and wiser now.
Wow!! A 2015 set didn't even have an ARC? That is surprising. Even my 2012 Mitsubishi and LG sets had an ARC.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Wow!! A 2015 set didn't even have an ARC? That is surprising. Even my 2012 Mitsubishi and LG sets had an ARC.
My first big screen was bought at Walmart in 2010. It had issues with the power board after a number of years. That was a Sanyo 42" 1080p.

So, the next big screen I bought at Best Buy in 2015, to presumably get better quality and the like. Well, for whatever reason, Samsung scrimped on the ARC.

So, for my next big screen, a 4K this time, I went to a new brand, for me, and chose LG. It was on display and easy to measure the stand dimensions, critical for the TV stand I already had before. The LG 50" was as big as I could go. Sam's was the store that had the TV on display in 2018 in a way that was easy to measure. The Best Buy models were up on a wall, so an exact measurement wasn't going to be easy. The LG model from Sam's also had a 4th HDMI port, which I needed. I basically called LG and asked what was the lowest grade TV they offered that could I could use their "Magic Remote" with. And I was looking for ARC specifically as well.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Until there's a brand new Hbo Max exclusive title, or a brand new exclusive Peacock title, there is absolutely no reason to get upset about those apps not being on roku or amazon. I don't see anything being filmed for a year and half out.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Maybe. Maybe not. I have heard that a number of US production companies are seriously exploring moving all of their operations to Europe, at least temporarily, which of course is doing much better than the US at managing the pandemic.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Until there's a brand new Hbo Max exclusive title, or a brand new exclusive Peacock title, there is absolutely no reason to get upset about those apps not being on roku or amazon. I don't see anything being filmed for a year and half out.
IDK, this looks pretty good:

Also, been watching Doom Patrol and Lovecraft Country (HBO, not just Max) just started and is getting good reviews. I guess it all depends on what kind of show you like.

13841 - 13860 of 13949 Posts