AVS Forum banner

13921 - 13940 of 14152 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
My Yamaha AVRs don't report bit level, so I have no idea what they are sending to the display. I don't think 10 bit is necessary for HDR, but I'm no authority on that subject. The Ultra has a setting for 4:2:2 and 4:2:0, but if that alters the color bit level I have no idea.
per the below, 10 bit is necessary for HDR

last sentence of the article: A 10-bit signal is an essential minimum for HDR video, whereas 12-bit buys a ton of headroom and an even greater dynamic range.

·
Registered
30 Posts
+1 to @aaronwt said. My Lumagen Radiance Pro reports it being 422 12-bit (see the iBpp value for Input Bits Per Pixel). I'm using an original gen Ultra from the offer they had in late 2016 for those of us who had bought an original 4k version without HDR.

View attachment 3038516

View attachment 3038517
i think the later version ULtra's default to 8 bit versus 10 bit which is what i noticed and was confirmed by Roku itself. I know Jeff Meier at Accucal has an older gen 4 version which allows him to pick the bit rate.

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
+1 to @aaronwt said. My Lumagen Radiance Pro reports it being 422 12-bit (see the iBpp value for Input Bits Per Pixel). I'm using an original gen Ultra from the offer they had in late 2016 for those of us who had bought an original 4k version without HDR.
i think the later version ULtra's default to 8 bit versus 10 bit which is what i noticed and was confirmed by Roku itself. I know Jeff Meier at Accucal has an older gen 4 version which allows him to pick the bit rate.
Yes, I don't have the Ultra from 2016, but rather the Premier Plus from 2016, and mine shows 422 12-bit output for all HDR-10 content (Prime video, VUDU, D+, etc.).

·
Premium Member
12,488 Posts
My newer Ultra is BT2020 422 12 bit with HDR.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Premium Member
12,488 Posts
HDR10 is 10bit, Dolby Vision is 12 bit. There are no 12 bit TV panels so DV is effectivity 10 bit
Thanks for the lesson, but I know that. Devices do output 12 bit, which the Roku Ultra does, and has nothing to do with your reply. I'm not talking panels or formats, Im talking output. And once again, many devices output 422 BT 2020 12 bit for HDR10... I also didn't feel the need to specify HDR10 vs DV, because the Roky ONLY does HDR10...

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Peacock TV is available in the Channel Store via the Roku website. Sometimes Apps are available there before you can download them on the Rokus. FYI

·
Registered
16 Posts
Peacock TV is available in the Channel Store via the Roku website. Sometimes Apps are available there before you can download them on the Rokus. FYI
It's also available now on the devices themselves. I was able to get it about 2 hours ago just by searching in Streaming Channels for Peacock TV.

·
UHD Addict
37,421 Posts
My newer Ultra is BT2020 422 12 bit with HDR.
My Ultra outputs 10bit with 420 at 2160P60. If I set it for 24P/30P output then it will output 12 bit with 422 at 2160P. But of course that is because the HDMi spec only allows 50/60P with 420 at 2160.

·
Premium Member
12,488 Posts
Yep, I leave mine set to auto rez so it can output 24p when applicable.

·
Registered
931 Posts
so, i didn't know much of anything about this channel/app other than what i saw on the commercials for it always everyone yelling FREE, FREE, FREE.
so, i downloaded it, and i watched a show called Departure and i liked Ep1, went to watch Ep2 and it said, i had to switch to a Premium account to watch the remainder of the series and then gave the cost of it. i thought it was FREE FREE FREE.

why don't they tell you that many of the shows/movies, are not FREE and you must sign up and pay for premium service to watch them; beyond the FREE first episode?

if i had known that from the beginning, i wouldn't have downloaded the channel/app. :mad:

·
UHD Addict
37,421 Posts
I just doubled checked. Yes my Roku Ultra is still outputting 2160P60 at 10 bit.
And, like before, if I turn on auto refresh rate switching, if it switches to 2160P24 output then it switches to 422 at 12 bit.

I normally leave refresh rate switching off and have it set for 420 at 2160P60. Since refresh rate switching used to cause issues for me. But that was a long time ago. When I just tried it a few minutes ago it switched without any issues.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
so, i didn't know much of anything about this channel/app other than what i saw on the commercials for it always everyone yelling FREE, FREE, FREE.
so, i downloaded it, and i watched a show called Departure and i liked Ep1, went to watch Ep2 and it said, i had to switch to a Premium account to watch the remainder of the series and then gave the cost of it. i thought it was FREE FREE FREE.

why don't they tell you that many of the shows/movies, are not FREE and you must sign up and pay for premium service to watch them; beyond the FREE first episode?

if i had known that from the beginning, i wouldn't have downloaded the channel/app. :mad:
Most of the material is free except the original content shows.

·
Premium Member
5,035 Posts
Do all the free shows on peacock have ads?

·
Registered
3,919 Posts

There are three tiers to the Peacock service. The basic tier is free to the general public but has limited content in addition to the ads. The Premium tier is a $5.00 upgrade (but is included for free in all but the most bare-bones Comcast CATV service plans) and provides greatly expanded content. And, finally, the Premium Plus tier is another $5.00 upgrade (i.e., $10.00 retail) to eliminate the ads.

Reactions: RagtopFE

·
Registered
486 Posts
Also be be aware that when watching Peacock on the Roku (and likely on the Fire TV-approved "official" app as well) you are going to see more ads (this is due to ad insertion/ad revenue cuts) relative to other platforms (that aren't getting 15-30% of the ad revenue etc).

E.g.: With Peacock on Roku, you may see more commercial breaks per show (5 per hour versus 3) and/or more commercials per break (60 seconds versus 45 seconds) than on the LG Peacock app.

This is obviously because NBCUniversal decided not to reduce their own ad revenue per show but to add additional ads to satisfy specific platform ad revenue requirements (and the Peacock platform was obviously built with this expectation in mind, despite all the specific "deal drama" that ensued with Roku/Amazon etc)

·
Registered
931 Posts
There are three tiers to the Peacock service. The basic tier is free to the general public but has limited content in addition to the ads. The Premium tier is a $5.00 upgrade (but is included for free in all but the most bare-bones Comcast CATV service plans) and provides greatly expanded content. And, finally, the Premium Plus tier is another $5.00 upgrade (i.e., $10.00 retail) to eliminate the ads.
I couldn’t watch the second episode of the show because it said I had to pay to watch by upgrading to premium status. Only the first episode on many shows are deemed “free” I’m not talking about commercials or ads. But thanks for your response.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I couldn’t watch the second episode of the show because it said I had to pay to watch by upgrading to premium status. Only the first episode on many shows are deemed “free” I’m not talking about commercials or ads. But thanks for your response.
That only applies to Peacock Originals.

13921 - 13940 of 14152 Posts