Premium Member
12,488 Posts
So anyway to force HDR10 over DV?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
RokuOS 9.4.0 build 4174 available for manual download

Test & verify...

NOTE1: This build reverts YT and YTTV to older/slower/Pre-HLG supporting versions (1.0.80000314 and 1.0.80000016 respectively).

NOTE2: The most recent YTTV and YT versions have been restored (1.0.91000060 and 1.0.91000130 respectively). This issue with YT/YTTV "updating" and "reverting" post-9.4.0 build updates is recurring. 4K/HDR models upgrading directly from 9.3.0 may see YTTV/YT versions 1.0.93000037 and 1.0.93000097 respectively (these may revert to the above listed versions within 24 hours).

NOTE3: As usual, make sure to check for updates again after restarting the device to get the post-update app/app compatibility updates.

NOTE4: As usual, many apps may require re-activation/re-authentication post upgrade, depending on model/app.

NOTE5: NetFlix versions post-9.4.0-4174:
Non-4K/HDR (e.g. 3910/3800): 5.0.98021401: 2017 SDK
Non-Ultra 4K/HDR (e.g. 3810/3811): 5.0.98079400: 2017 SDK
Non-2020 Ultra (e.g. 4670): 5.1.98096402: 2018 SDK
Ultra 2020 (waiting on device): 2020 SDK?

NOTE6: Miracast/DIAL working correctly on 2.4Ghz for all Android versions (as with previous 9.4 builds). No sign of the AirPlay 2/HomeKit functionality (no new middleware/modules, no specific menu functionality)
Download 9.4 today along with 20+ app updates. Airplay 2 works when playing video on my IPad but not when I tried screen mirrowing

·
Premium Member
35,388 Posts
Okay, just finished doing some thorough testing after setting it up, let me know if there is anything else anyone wants tested!

Roku Ultra (2020) Findings/Mini Review

Match Framerate

• The Good
    • 23.976fps content is now correctly output at 23.973Hz (verified with HDFury Integral 2), fixing an issue present in past Roku Ultra models
  • The Bad
    • 24.000fps content is now incorrectly output at 23.973Hz, breaking 24.000Hz output, which did work in past Roku Ultra models
I wonder if that 24.0>23.967 fix will carry over to earlier Ultras? The fact that it now works just the opposite of the current model makes me think it's a hardware issue, but then again, Roku has never been known to put out firmware that hasn't needed dozens of fixes, revisions, rollbacks, etc. so who knows?

·
Registered
61 Posts
)
  • once the LG Dolby Vision issue is resolved. I hope they will fix 24.000Hz output too, but I'm not optimistic.
Great write up, thanks a lot. Insane about 24.000Hz - it’s like no streaming box engineers at any company watch Netflix and think that it looks bad on their box???

·
Registered
317 Posts
I wonder if that 24.0>23.967 fix will carry over to earlier Ultras? The fact that it now works just the opposite of the current model makes me think it's a hardware issue, but then again, Roku has never been known to put out firmware that hasn't needed dozens of fixes, revisions, rollbacks, etc. so who knows?
I'll test my older Roku Ultra (2019) again, after 9.4 is pushed to it, but I have a feeling this is more related to the SDK provided by the SoC manufacturers, and now that they are using a Realtek SoC, it defaults to 23.973Hz, instead of 24.000Hz for all "24p-like" content. I know for a fact Realtek SoCs support 24.000Hz, so hopefully they can fix that on the new Ultras with a firmware update.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Great write up, thanks a lot. Insane about 24.000Hz - it’s like no streaming box engineers at any company watch Netflix and think that it looks bad on their box???
Yeah, and it's made worse by the fact that Netflix disables all frame rate matching at the app level for Roku. I just want a streaming device that handles this properly, is that too much to ask?? lol

·
Registered
491 Posts
I'll test my older Roku Ultra (2019) again, after 9.4 is pushed to it, but I have a feeling this is more related to the SDK provided by the SoC manufacturers, and now that they are using a Realtek SoC, it defaults to 23.973Hz, instead of 24.000Hz for all "24p-like" content. I know for a fact Realtek SoCs support 24.000Hz, so hopefully they can fix that on the new Ultras with a firmware update.
9.4.0-4174 is available for manual download for all applicable models.

·
Registered
317 Posts
9.4.0-4174 is available for manual download for all applicable models.
How do you do a manual download? Just check for updates in the settings? My 2019 model isn’t plugged in right now, but if that’s all I have to do I’ll test this again shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
How do you do a manual download? Just check for updates in the settings? My 2019 model isn’t plugged in right now, but if that’s all I have to do I’ll test this again shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I also was able to "check for updates" and download 9.4 on my 2019 Ultra. Thought I'd check it out before my 2020 Ultra arrives.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Re: testing.

Can you set the Roku at your desired refresh rate instead of us
Thank you for the feedback. Walmart also says ships by 10/15 and comes with a $5 Vudu credit. I took my chances with them and will see if any other offers pop up across e-tailers on Prime Day.
Update on this with an added twist from Walmart.com:

Order placed on 10/10 arrives to me 10/18 for the new Ultra from Walmart.com.

Another order placed placed on Walmart.com for the same Ultra on 10/15 arrives today 10/16.

Crazy. Needless to say I'm returning the later arriving shipment.

I just factory reset the 2016 Ultra for resell.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Okay, just finished doing some thorough testing after setting it up, let me know if there is anything else anyone wants tested!
If you have time, I would like you to test how the new Ultra handles this MP4 file, which contains H265 video and AC4 5.1 audio:

It's 1:11 in duration and about 23 MB. At a minimum I would like to get stereo audio downmix to the TV (to confirm AC4 compatibility). Another test would be to see if the Roku's built-in AC4 decoder can output multichannel PCM downmix (AC4 decoders should be able to if manufacturers hardware/firmware allows). Not sure what your AV setup looks like (i.e. Roku, TV, AVR, soundbar) but mainly trying I'm seeing if it's possible to get multichannel PCM from Roku to an AVR, whether connecting Roku directly to AVR first, then video passthrough to TV, or to TV first and using eARC back to AVR. If your TV or AVR supports AC4, then whether the Roku can passthrough the AC4 correctly.

Thanks

·
Registered
317 Posts
If you have time, I would like you to test how the new Ultra handles this MP4 file, which contains H265 video and AC4 5.1 audio:

It's 1:11 in duration and about 23 MB. At a minimum I would like to get stereo audio downmix to the TV (to confirm AC4 compatibility). Another test would be to see if the Roku's built-in AC4 decoder can output multichannel PCM downmix (AC4 decoders should be able to if manufacturers hardware/firmware allows). Not sure what your AV setup looks like (i.e. Roku, TV, AVR, soundbar) but mainly trying I'm seeing if it's possible to get multichannel PCM from Roku to an AVR, whether connecting Roku directly to AVR first, then video passthrough to TV, or to TV first and using eARC back to AVR. If your TV or AVR supports AC4, then whether the Roku can passthrough the AC4 correctly.

Thanks
Well this was a very interesting test!

My setup is as follows: Roku Ultra (2020) -> Denon X4500H -> LG C9 77".

When plugged through the receiver, and the audio mode on the Roku set to either Auto detect or Auto passthrough, the input signal info on the receiver shows it receiving a 5.1 signal (input format of 3/2/.1), and a PCM signal type, however the receiver doesn't say "Multi In" like it does when normally receiving multi-channel PCM signals. The signals are clearly discrete 5.1 though, because when the audio track says each of the channel names, when in "Dolby Surround" mode, the audio goes correctly to each channel, and each channel only. If I set it to stereo PCM in the Roku settings, my receiver does report a 2.0 signal instead, and when turning on Dolby Surround with that input type, the rear left and right signals from the video go to the front left and right speakers.

When I tried plugging it directly into the TV, the TV just reports "Dolby Audio" with the Auto passthrough mode selected on the Roku.

I'm honestly not exactly sure what is going on, but I think it is passing through the AC4 audio, and the receiver is misreporting it as PCM audio, because if it was truly multichannel PCM, I feel it would say "Multi In" like it normally does. That's honestly just a guess though, I may be wrong. It's clear that it does support AC4 audio though, including stereo PCM downmixing, I'm just not sure exactly how it's handling it.

·
UHD Addict
37,422 Posts
The "new" Atmos support is for the AC-4 audio codec. Previous Roku players already support Atmos via EAC-3. They are both lossless, but from what I read AC-4 will support a higher number of channels and better compression without audio quality loss. Will it sound "better" than EAC-3? I guess we have to wait for providers to start streaming in AC-4.
Are there any receivers that can decode it?

14101 - 14120 of 14195 Posts