AVS Forum banner

14121 - 14140 of 14195 Posts

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Are there any receivers that can decode it?
Yeah, there are. I was answering someone on the Roku community forum, and I checked the specs of the AVR they were using. Naturally, I can't remember what it was... :D, but yes it had support for AC-4. I think it was the Sony STR-DN1080.

Reactions: aaronwt

·
Registered
408 Posts
Okay, just finished doing some thorough testing after setting it up, let me know if there is anything else anyone wants tested!

Roku Ultra (2020) Findings/Mini Review

Match Framerate

• The Good
    • 23.976fps content is now correctly output at 23.973Hz (verified with HDFury Integral 2), fixing an issue present in past Roku Ultra models
  • The Bad
    • 24.000fps content is now incorrectly output at 23.973Hz, breaking 24.000Hz output, which did work in past Roku Ultra models
  • Supported Apps
    • Apple TV
    • Amazon Prime Video
    • Movie Anywhere
    • Youtube
    • Vudu
    • Peacock (only device I’m aware of that does, but is kinda glitchy in the menus, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see it go away)
  • Unsupported Apps
    • Disney+
    • Hulu
    • Netflix
Match Dynamic Range
  • Works correctly in all apps that I’ve tested, correctly switching between SDR Rec. 709, HDR10 Rec. 2020, and Dolby Vision without issue
Dolby Vision
  • The Good
    • Works well in most apps that normally support Dolby Vision
    • No raised black levels!
  • The Bad (a big one for LG TV owners right now)
    • Like other Realtek SoC based devices (Zidoo Z9X), when connected to an LG display, the screen goes blank every few seconds while displaying Dolby Vision content, this should be fixed via a firmware update by LG or Roku, and can currently be resolved by using an HDFury to emulate a different EDID
      • This only happens when match frame rate is enabled, and displaying 24p content. If left to output at 59.933Hz, the default setting, Dolby Vision plays fine on LG TVs
  • Supported Apps
    • Apple TV
    • Netflix
    • Disney+
    • Vudu
  • Unsupported Apps
    • Movie Anywhere (shows DV logo in the UI, but plays back in HDR10)
    • Prime Video (HDR10 Only)
Dolby Atmos
  • Supported Apps
    • Apple TV
    • Netflix
    • Disney+
    • Movies Anywhere
    • Vudu
    • Prime Video (Jack Ryan works!)
  • Unsupported Apps
    • None that normally support it that I have tested
General Picture Quality Notes
  • Looks very good overall
  • Chroma upsampling is very good, much better than other Realtek SoC based devices I’ve tested in the past
  • Has similar banding to other Realtek SoC devices in the blue color bars on the Spears and Munsil UHD test patterns, however I’ve never personally seen this show up in real world content
  • Correct HDR10 Metadata is passed through including MaxCLL and MaxFALL
  • Hulu doesn’t support 4K right now, probably just needs an app update since past Roku Ultra’s do support it
Other Notes of Interest
  • Supports AV1 decoding in Youtube, verified in stats for nerds (first TV box I’m aware of that does)
  • Currently Running Roku OS 9.3.1 (Build 4240), no 9.4 update available yet
  • No way to force HDR10 instead of Dolby Vision if your TV supports DV
Overall, I’d say it’s one of the best streaming devices for internet content currently on the market, once the 24p LG Dolby Vision issue is resolved. I hope they will fix 24.000Hz output too, but I'm not optimistic.

Is it using the TV led Dolby Vision profile on the LG TV?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Well this was a very interesting test!

My setup is as follows: Roku Ultra (2020) -> Denon X4500H -> LG C9 77".

When plugged through the receiver, and the audio mode on the Roku set to either Auto detect or Auto passthrough, the input signal info on the receiver shows it receiving a 5.1 signal (input format of 3/2/.1), and a PCM signal type, however the receiver doesn't say "Multi In" like it does when normally receiving multi-channel PCM signals. The signals are clearly discrete 5.1 though, because when the audio track says each of the channel names, when in "Dolby Surround" mode, the audio goes correctly to each channel, and each channel only. If I set it to stereo PCM in the Roku settings, my receiver does report a 2.0 signal instead, and when turning on Dolby Surround with that input type, the rear left and right signals from the video go to the front left and right speakers.

When I tried plugging it directly into the TV, the TV just reports "Dolby Audio" with the Auto passthrough mode selected on the Roku.

I'm honestly not exactly sure what is going on, but I think it is passing through the AC4 audio, and the receiver is misreporting it as PCM audio, because if it was truly multichannel PCM, I feel it would say "Multi In" like it normally does. That's honestly just a guess though, I may be wrong. It's clear that it does support AC4 audio though, including stereo PCM downmixing, I'm just not sure exactly how it's handling it.
I could be wrong but doesn't AC-4 decoders have a transcode function to AC-3?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Well this was a very interesting test!

My setup is as follows: Roku Ultra (2020) -> Denon X4500H -> LG C9 77".

When plugged through the receiver, and the audio mode on the Roku set to either Auto detect or Auto passthrough, the input signal info on the receiver shows it receiving a 5.1 signal (input format of 3/2/.1), and a PCM signal type, however the receiver doesn't say "Multi In" like it does when normally receiving multi-channel PCM signals. The signals are clearly discrete 5.1 though, because when the audio track says each of the channel names, when in "Dolby Surround" mode, the audio goes correctly to each channel, and each channel only. If I set it to stereo PCM in the Roku settings, my receiver does report a 2.0 signal instead, and when turning on Dolby Surround with that input type, the rear left and right signals from the video go to the front left and right speakers.

When I tried plugging it directly into the TV, the TV just reports "Dolby Audio" with the Auto passthrough mode selected on the Roku.

I'm honestly not exactly sure what is going on, but I think it is passing through the AC4 audio, and the receiver is misreporting it as PCM audio, because if it was truly multichannel PCM, I feel it would say "Multi In" like it normally does. That's honestly just a guess though, I may be wrong. It's clear that it does support AC4 audio though, including stereo PCM downmixing, I'm just not sure exactly how it's handling it.
Your Denon does not support AC4, so it is sending the correct EDID info to the Roku and the Roku is sending audio in multichannel PCM. That is my understanding on how it should work from the technical papers, and that is why I asked to see if you get multichannel PCM. I think your LG C9 does not support AC4 format either, so I do not know why it showing up as Dolby Audio. I may have to read the technical papers again in regard to that. Must be something in the metadata doing that.

Either way, it's excellent news. I will be connecting the Ultra in a similar fashion. The Ultra -> Denon X3600H -> Sony X900F (upgrading to LG CX next month). Thank you for testing.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I could be wrong but doesn't AC-4 decoders have a transcode function to AC-3?
Yes.

Dolby needs a consumer-facing name for it though:

Dolby Digital Enhanced/Extended: "DDE"
Dolby Digital Ultimate "DDU"
Dolby Digital Next Generation "DDNG"

..preferably something that when abbreviated doesnt conflict with a pre-existing dolby audio tech...

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Your Denon does not support AC4, so it is sending the correct EDID info to the Roku and the Roku is sending audio in multichannel PCM. That is my understanding on how it should work from the technical papers, and that is why I asked to see if you get multichannel PCM. I think your LG C9 does not support AC4 format either, so I do not know why it showing up as Dolby Audio. I may have to read the technical papers again in regard to that. Must be something in the metadata doing that.

Either way, it's excellent news. I will be connecting the Ultra in a similar fashion. The Ultra -> Denon X3600H -> Sony X900F (upgrading to LG CX next month). Thank you for testing.
As I thought - looks like the Roku is sending the audio to the LG as AC-3

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Does the 2020 Ultra still respond to IR commands like the 2019? I don’t see any mention on the Roku site. Thanks.
The Wiki page hasn't been updated with the 4800 yet, but I would expect it still would. The Stick models are the only ones that don't support IR. Every other model always has. And the Roku remote accessories page still says the basic IR remote supports all Roku players other than Stick models.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Does the 2020 Ultra still respond to IR commands like the 2019? I don’t see any mention on the Roku site. Thanks.
Yes it does. My LG TV auto configured it’s remote to control it via IR (had CEC disabled, and covering up the remote stopped it from communicating, so it was definitely IR).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
So far two posters at roku community have claimed that walmart is saying it can't sell the 2020 Ultra because its been recalled.

·
Registered
790 Posts
So far two posters at roku community have claimed that walmart is saying it can't sell the 2020 Ultra because its been recalled.

I doubt the recall.

B&M retailers might have been told not to sell until a certain date, like they were ordered to do with the new Chromecasts when they had them on the shelves early (unless you got lucky at Walmart or Home Depot before they pulled them).

Best Buy lists the official release date as October 20th, FWIW. 🤷‍♂️

My Walmart version (4800RW) is on the FedEx truck for delivery today. The stated two day delivery they have had on their website since 10/15 seems to be holding up, as I ordered this one on that exact date. My pre-order from 5 days earlier on 10/10 is arriving Sunday.🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
396 Posts

Ordered the Ultra 2020 through Walmart yesterday at about 3 PM CDT, and received it today 15 minutes ago (22 hours later), regular free shipping.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
My Ultra is supposed be at my local Best Buy on the 20th. For those that have already gotten theirs, have you tested YouTube to see if there are buffering lags. It's been an ongoing issue on my soon to be not current Ultra.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have the Roku Ultra 2020 installed and well...

This new device does not fit my situation very well, unfortunately.

My 2016 OLED (E6) maxes out at 30 Hz with DV.

This new Roku will give you either 1080p 60 Hz with DV or 4K 60 Hz with HDR10.

I don't think enabling "Auto-adjust display refresh rate" will fix the problem. I set up the device just before I had company come over and I can't really test right now.

Any suggestions?

P_20201017_172228.jpg

·
Premium Member
35,388 Posts
I have the Roku Ultra 2020 installed and well...

This new device does not fit my situation very well, unfortunately.

My 2016 OLED (E6) maxes out at 30 Hz with DV.

This new Roku will give you either 1080p 60 Hz with DV or 4K 60 Hz with HDR10.

I don't think enabling "Auto-adjust display refresh rate" will fix the problem. I set up the device just before I had company come over and I can't really test right now.

Any suggestions?
Why do think auto-frame rate won't work? If it allows for 24(23.967 Hz) output that should fix the problem.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I installed my Ultra 4800 today with no problems - using a Denon 6200 & Sony 930e - Netflix, Prime Video & Vudu all pass DV & Dolby Atmos - very satisfied!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Because I was able to give Movies Anywhere a quick test with it enabled and no dice.
Movies anywhere isn’t playing in Dolby Vision even on my C9, only HDR10. I don’t think it supports it yet. Give Vudu a try, which does support it (and frame rate matching) from my testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
408 Posts
Why do think auto-frame rate won't work? If it allows for 24(23.967 Hz) output that should fix the problem.
Problem is something like Netflix doesn’t even support match framerate.

Kind of sucks, but I think this is mainly a problem that only affects 2016 LG OLED owners. The pitfalls of being an early adopter.

I don’t remember how Shield or Apple TV handles it.

14121 - 14140 of 14195 Posts