AVS Forum banner

14141 - 14160 of 14195 Posts

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Problem is something like Netflix doesn’t even support match framerate.

Kind of sucks, but I think this is mainly a problem that only affects 2016 LG OLED owners. The pitfalls of being an early adopter.

I don’t remember how Shield or Apple TV handles it.
You can set the Shield to 30Hz.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have the Roku Ultra 2020 installed and well...

This new device does not fit my situation very well, unfortunately.

My 2016 OLED (E6) maxes out at 30 Hz with DV.

This new Roku will give you either 1080p 60 Hz with DV or 4K 60 Hz with HDR10.

I don't think enabling "Auto-adjust display refresh rate" will fix the problem. I set up the device just before I had company come over and I can't really test right now.

Any suggestions?
On my temporary setup, I have the Roku going first to my X900F TV, then ARC to Denon receiver, and my HDMI connection results allowed 4K DV at 60 fps with Auto setting. DV works great with Prime Vudu and Disney+

·
Premium Member
35,388 Posts
Problem is something like Netflix doesn’t even support match framerate.

Kind of sucks, but I think this is mainly a problem that only affects 2016 LG OLED owners. The pitfalls of being an early adopter.

I don’t remember how Shield or Apple TV handles it.
The Shield and the Apple TV4K both have 23.967 Hz output for Netflix with the Shield also capable of 24.0 Hz output as well.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Ok, was able to test some more with the new Ultra.

Remember, this only pertains to 2016 OLEDs and I think some Vizios from the same year. That is, displays that max out at 30 Hz with DV.

No setting on the Roku, at all, will get the previously mentioned sets to display 4K with DV. I tried setting at 4K HDR10, 4K SDR, and 1080p DV, with match Rate and Range ON and no dice. However...

These apps are still cool giving you Dolby Vision at 1080p (and Atmos):

Vudu
Disney Plus
Apple TV
Netflix

These apps will not net an HDR10 stream with the Roku set at 1080p, but will when you set the Roku at 4K:

MA
FandangoNow

These apps still give you HDR10 when you set the Roku to 1080p (and 4k):

Prime Video
YouTube

This app doesn't seem 4K enabled for the Ultra (Apple TV says HI!):

Showtime Anytime

This app only says it's 4K when the Roku is set to 4K, but doesn't output any kind of HDR at all:

Google Play Movies

Forgot to test:

DC Universe

Don't currently subscribe to:

CBS AA

·
Registered
790 Posts

The BT.2020 signal with a DV steam playing (on my LG infopanel) is interesting with this new Roku Ultra.

Other devices not named Chromecast Ultra don't act like this.

In fact, The Shield TV had an update that fixed this in version 8.2 with the note:

"Removes BT.2020 signaling on standard Dolby Vision displays"

·
Registered
408 Posts
View attachment 3047669
The BT.2020 signal with a DV steam playing (on my LG infopanel) is interesting with this new Roku Ultra.

Other devices not named Chromecast Ultra don't act like this.

In fact, The Shield TV had an update that fixed this in version 8.2 with the note:

"Removes BT.2020 signaling on standard Dolby Vision displays"
werid, but I think the bt2020 flag is required for the low latency version of DV.

Did the removal of the flag on Shied fix the color errors people were seeing? I remember Nvidia saying it still looked the same without the flag.

presumably all these devices passed Dolby cert, so you would think all the image processing would be correct...

·
Registered
646 Posts
From reading through several of the posts above, I get the impression that there IS a setting for 4K HDR10. Can this setting be used even if my TV is capable of Dolby Vision? I prefer to watch in HDR10.

·
Registered
790 Posts
werid, but I think the bt2020 flag is required for the low latency version of DV.

Did the removal of the flag on Shied fix the color errors people were seeing? I remember Nvidia saying it still looked the same without the flag.

presumably all these devices passed Dolby cert, so you would think all the image processing would be correct...
It definitely improved the colors on the Shield TV with my display once they removed the BT.2020 "signal".

I still think Shield isn't doing DV correctly. I see clipping in bright highlights.

Some people are seeing a slight red push, too:

·
Registered
790 Posts
From reading through several of the posts above, I get the impression that there IS a setting for 4K HDR10. Can this setting be used even if my TV is capable of Dolby Vision? I prefer to watch in HDR10.
Edit: I could be wrong, though. 👇

No, you can't force HDR10 on DV content with this new Roku, unfortunately.

Unless you have a weird display that maxes out at 30 Hz with DV. Then you can have all your HDR in HDR10 if you set it to 4K.

·
Registered
408 Posts
It definitely improved the colors on the Shield TV with my display once they removed the BT.2020 "signal".

I still think Shield isn't doing DV correctly. I see clipping in bright highlights.

Some people are seeing a slight red push, too:

Does Roku’s implementation look correct you with the bt2020 flag?

You might get a response on the Roku forums from a dev if you make a thread over there.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Shoot, was supposed to get my new Ultra today but now amazon saying it's delayed. Hope that's it's nothing ominous.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Shoot, was supposed to get my new Ultra today but now amazon saying it's delayed. Hope that's it's nothing ominous.
Yes, I tried to order from Amazon this morning but the Ultra is "Temporarily Out Of Stock". I put in an order at Best Buy instead. Supposedly it ships tomorrow We'll see.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Been lurking for a while so first time post.

The best success I have had with availability and speed of delivery on media devices has been Walmart, believe it or not.

They had 2-day delivery and same day pickup available for the Ultra 202 in my Houston area.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Yes, I tried to order from Amazon this morning but the Ultra is "Temporarily Out Of Stock". I put in an order at Best Buy instead. Supposedly it ships tomorrow We'll see.
Thanks. Was thinking about the same going to BB but decided I'd wait.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I currently own an AppleTV 4K. What would be the major reasons for me to consider switching to an Ultra 2020 (4800)? I don't need Atmos since my Denon AVR doesn't support it, only 5.2 and my TV is HDR10 only. Just curious.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Does Roku’s implementation look correct you with the bt2020 flag?

You might get a response on the Roku forums from a dev if you make a thread over there.
No, it does not look correct on the new Roku, unfortunately.

The best test for me is go to 19:17 in The Dark Knight. Everybody in that scene sitting at the table has faces that are way too red/orange/pink.

When 8.2 came out for the Shield it improved that scene a ton due to them removing the BT.2020 signal.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I currently own an AppleTV 4K. What would be the major reasons for me to consider switching to an Ultra 2020 (4800)? I don't need Atmos since my Denon AVR doesn't support it, only 5.2 and my TV is HDR10 only. Just curious.
If you want HDR from both YouTube and FandangoNow really badly, this has it, which the Apple TV currently does not have.

Then again, you can get something like a Fire TV Stick 4K as an additional device and it would accomplish the same things for those 2 apps at a much cheaper price.

I would not "switch" to make this your main streamer. I consider this a step down from an ATV4K. Unless you are really in love with the Roku interface or just like trying other stuff out for fun, then go for it. It's not a clunker. It's no ATV4K or Shield TV, though, IMO.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
If you want HDR from both YouTube and FandangoNow really badly, this has it, which the Apple TV currently does not have.

Then again, you can get something like a Fire TV Stick 4K as an additional device and it would accomplish the same things for those 2 apps at a much cheaper price.

I would not "switch" to make this your main streamer. I consider this a step down from an ATV4K. Unless you are really in love with the Roku interface or just like trying other stuff out for fun, then go for it. It's not a clunker. It's no ATV4K or Shield TV, though, IMO.
I've noticed that FandangoNow 4k content is still playing in stereo audio on the ATV4K so the Roku will still play in DD+ as it should be. I don't have the new 2020 Roku but have the older Roku but it will play the audio correctly on FN.

14141 - 14160 of 14195 Posts