AVS Forum banner

15021 - 15040 of 15122 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Does Roku have a hidden menu like Fire TV devices that show the resolution, refresh rate, and bitrate of whatever is streaming at the moment? Is there an easy way to get this info on a Roku?
They have a bunch of secret menus - e.g., see www.techtimes.com/articles/162197/20160531/access-secret-menus-roku-device.htm or just search a search engine for "Roku" and "Secret Menu".

I don't know if they give you what you want. Rokus aren't all that expert freindly.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
OK.
But is there a difference between the '2020' and 'newest' models listed on Amazon besides the price?
The Roku webpage just shows one new model 4K/DV/DAtmos model for the lower Amazon price.
yes. The 2020 has a faster CPU than all other previous ultras, better wifi and it is the only one with Dolby Vision. Here is a breakdown of changes by generation:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I guess I'm not being clear.
If you go to Amazon's website and search Roku there are 2 different models that appear to be identical. Not the 4670, but the new model with the different looking case that is slightly bigger at the base and has matte finish, where the older 4660/4670 are slightly bigger on the top and is shiny.
These newer looking model(s) appear to be exactly the same, except for the price which is $79 for the '2020' model and the 'newest' for $159.
I am asking if there is any difference between these models other than the price ?
Provide a link to each one. Be sure they are from the same seller.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
If you go to Amazon's website and search Roku there are 2 different models that appear to be identical. Not the 4670, but the new model with the different looking case that is slightly bigger at the base and has matte finish, where the older 4660/4670 are slightly bigger on the top and is shiny.
These newer looking model(s) appear to be exactly the same, except for the price which is $79 for the '2020' model and the 'newest' for $159.
I am asking if there is any difference between these models other than the price ?
Check whose actually selling it, amazon proper is selling it for $79.99, just like other retailers and roku themselves. The other 4800 listed is by private seller trying to get $150 for each. Nothings different between the two, just one you'll get ripped off. And if theres Ultra LT on amazon it is also being offered by private sell because that model is an exclusive of walmart.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Can you provide a link the the one(s) you're questioning? The Amazon descriptions are not always clear, and a search by me may not return the same exact results you're seeing.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
amazon proper is selling it for $79.99,
Hopefully this doesnt get us in trouble but Amazon is all over the place with this. I bought my 2020 last friday for $89. Last wednesday it was listed at $99. Last tuesday it was $79. Yesterday it was $69 (i purchased another at this price and plan to return the first one bought at $89) and now it is back to $79.

Is it normal for daily price changes like this?

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Those both appear to be the model 4800. Why the one is charging $149, I have no idea but I hope they don't sell any at that price. Notice it's not sold by either Amazon or Roku. It's a 3rd party reseller, and that price is criminal.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Roku App Wednesday Updates:

YouTube (1.0.93000123), YouTube TV (1.0.93000058)

Test & verify...

EDITS:

NOTE1: This YT TV version/update applies to all models (non 4K/HDR and 4K/HDR - previously different model groups had different version/build paths/updates) - it may also apply to all Roku TV models as well.

NOTE2: This YT version/update now applies to all 4K/HDR models (previously different 4K/HDR model groups had different version/build paths) - it may also apply to all 4K/HDR Roku TV models as well

NOTE3: These YT/YT TV updates include an updated Cobalt Library (Ultra: 1.0.93000140, other 4K/HDR: 1.0.93000134, Non-4K/HDR 1.0.93000132)

NOTE4: There were library/compatibility layer updates to both RMP (5.4.4) and The Roku Channel (4.2.3)

·
Registered
893 Posts
Hi, I recently I got a Roku Ultra 2020, which I connect through an older Yamaha AVR to the TV. I notice two problems with the Roku when the AVR is on. First, on a few (but not most) Roku channels, the audio sync is off. Second, when playing some 1080p MKV files from my home server, the video stutters a little.

Here's the thing: I don't get either of these problems when using HDMI Standby Pass-Through on the receiver. So I know that my cables are fine and that the Roku is capable of decoding the streams.

I'm thinking it's an issue with the AVR being overloaded trying to process the sound and pass through video at the same time.

Has anyone experienced problems like these, and knows whether replacing the AVR with a new model would fix them? My existing AVR is a Yamaha RX-V473 and I'm thinking of upgrading to a V485 or V385.
Answering my own question: Upgrading from an RX-V473 (a 2012 model) to an RX-V585 (a 2018 model) fixed the lip sync issue with Amazon Prime from the Roku.

The MKV stuttering issue is still present--I guess that has nothing to do with the received and the Roku is just a crappy network video player.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Roku App Wednesday Updates:

YouTube (1.0.93000123), YouTube TV (1.0.93000058)

Test & verify...
Any info on what changed on Roku Media Player?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
The MKV stuttering issue is still present--I guess that has nothing to do with the received and the Roku is just a crappy network video player.
What is the video/audio of your network content? Roku plays most things on my network perfectly. I have one video that is trueHD audio and it struggles with that as I think it is having to re-encode that audio to DD+.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Answering my own question: Upgrading from an RX-V473 (a 2012 model) to an RX-V585 (a 2018 model) fixed the lip sync issue with Amazon Prime from the Roku.

While I mostly use my Shield for my local media (better support for captions and audio codecs), I've never encountered audio stuttering. But even if you meant video stuttering, I haven't seen that either. I did play with framerate matching enabled for a while, but turned it back off as it was too annoying on YouTube and HBO Max when the screen continued to blank every time the rate changed.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Any info on what changed on Roku Media Player?
I'm surprised this came out. There hasn't been a new beta to test since late October. This public release isn't the current beta, so I have no clue what's going on with RMP. I'll look it over a bit later and see if I can spot any changes. The most recent work was to improve music playback. They haven't been discussing anything about the UI or any video playback issues.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm surprised this came out. There hasn't been a new beta to test since late October. This public release isn't the current beta, so I have no clue what's going on with RMP. I'll look it over a bit later and see if I can spot any changes. The most recent work was to improve music playback. They haven't been discussing anything about the UI or any video playback issues.
Well, it did not fix the issue where activation of the Roku screensaver stops the playback of music.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Well, it did not fix the issue where activation of the Roku screensaver stops the playback of music.
I'm testing it on my 4800 right now. I set the SS at one minute so I didn't have to wait long. SS came on and music continued. Song ended and the next began. I'm using the Aquatic 4K screensaver, in case that makes a difference.

I went in the den and started RMP on my 4670. Same settings, same screensaver. It too continued to play after the SS kicked in and the next track as well.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm testing it on my 4800 right now. I set the SS at one minute so I didn't have to wait long. SS came on and music continued. Song ended and the next began. I'm using the Aquatic 4K screensaver, in case that makes a difference.

I went in the den and started RMP on my 4670. Same settings, same screensaver. It too continued to play after the SS kicked in and the next track as well.
I had the screensaver set to 5 minutes and the music stopped about 3 songs after the screensaver kicked in (10 minutes later). Before it stopped after the 1st or 2nd song. I actually thought I would be able to play a complete ripped CD, but alas, no.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I had the screensaver set to 5 minutes and the music stopped about 3 songs after the screensaver kicked in (10 minutes later). Before it stopped after the 1st or 2nd song. I actually thought I would be able to play a complete ripped CD, but alas, no.
Maybe try Plex instead of RMP. For music, it's typically stable. It's mainly movies that give me problems (especially with DTS tracks.). However, for audio only, I've pretty much turned to my smart speakers (Alexa, and Google Home) because those have multi room options which I like better for music.

15021 - 15040 of 15122 Posts