AVS Forum banner

15041 - 15060 of 15122 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Maybe try Plex instead of RMP. For music, it's typically stable. It's mainly movies that give me problems (especially with DTS tracks.). However, for audio only, I've pretty much turned to my smart speakers (Alexa, and Google Home) because those have multi room options which I like better for music.
Movies DTS tracks works fine on my Roku, and for the music, I stream directly to my receiver. I just tested some SD materials and it still does not display correctly. Whatever was in the update must have been a very minor fix.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I had the screensaver set to 5 minutes and the music stopped about 3 songs after the screensaver kicked in (10 minutes later). Before it stopped after the 1st or 2nd song. I actually thought I would be able to play a complete ripped CD, but alas, no.
Yep, I spoke too soon. After 2-3 tracks it stopped playing. As soon as I touched a remote button, playback resumed on the next track. I don't usually use it for music, so never tested it that long.

I don't know what's happening to RMP development. The last beta released (which has a higher number than this new public release) was at the end of October. I've sent a couple of messages to the developer, but haven't received a response. I've reported a number of problems that are specific to the new 4800. I'm wondering if they had a staff change again. When Dale retired, it was a number of months before Chris was announced as the new developer. Since there was activity (new version) today, I've sent him a PM to see if I can find out what's going on.

When Roku employees retire or leave the company, Roku never clears their user name from the forum. Dale is still listed as an employee, but of course you can't PM him. Chris could be the same, and I'm PM'ing a dead address.

Reactions: NTC

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
The MKV stuttering issue is still present--I guess that has nothing to do with the received and the Roku is just a crappy network video player.
I just tried a number of MKV files, both with framerate matching on and off. The only video stuttering I saw was a 1080p BD rip with 2 channel DTS audio. Everything else I tried played smoothly.

·
Registered
893 Posts
What is the video/audio of your network content? Roku plays most things on my network perfectly. I have one video that is trueHD audio and it struggles with that as I think it is having to re-encode that audio to DD+.
It plays most x264 encoded files without an issue, but it struggles with some x265 files. Also, it has trouble with 3D x264 files, which my nine-year-old TV can handle perfectly. It also isn't reading all audio tracks properly. On one file it defaults to a different language and has no option to switch to English (but the TV can correctly see the English audio track). Plus it can't play any .avi files, which were the standard for a long time.

Oh and before you blame wifi issues, the Roku and the TV both use wired connections through the same switch.

The TV's internal media player is clunky to use with my AVR setup, so I hoped to streamline everything by getting the Roku. It's good for streaming apps for sure, but it's not good enough at playing media files to obviate the need to switch to the TV.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Movies DTS tracks works fine on my Roku, and for the music, I stream directly to my receiver. I just tested some SD materials and it still does not display correctly. Whatever was in the update must have been a very minor fix.
I just tested DTS with both RMP and Plex. My AVR reports DTS audio with both. I don't have a list of titles that I have with DTS, so I just checked some until I found one. It was only two channel DTS, so perhaps not the best test. I'll search a bit more to see if I can find something with 5.1 DTS that isn't Master Audio.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I'm surprised this came out. There hasn't been a new beta to test since late October. This public release isn't the current beta, so I have no clue what's going on with RMP. I'll look it over a bit later and see if I can spot any changes. The most recent work was to improve music playback. They haven't been discussing anything about the UI or any video playback issues.
It was a library/compatibility layer update only - no update to RMP itself (which is why it wasn't included in the updated app list).

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
It plays most x264 encoded files without an issue, but it struggles with some x265 files. Also, it has trouble with 3D x264 files, which my nine-year-old TV can handle perfectly. It also isn't reading all audio tracks properly. On one file it defaults to a different language and has no option to switch to English (but the TV can correctly see the English audio track). Plus it can't play any .avi files, which were the standard for a long time.

Oh and before you blame wifi issues, the Roku and the TV both use wired connections through the same switch.

The TV's internal media player is clunky to use with my AVR setup, so I hoped to streamline everything by getting the Roku. It's good for streaming apps for sure, but it's not good enough at playing media files to obviate the need to switch to the TV.
AVI files have never been supported by Roku. No idea if it is/was a licensing issue. They only added MPEG-2 video support after the patent expired so no license was required.

For my 265 files, nothing beats the Shield. Gigabit Ethernet connection, and a more powerful player. I use Kodi as my player app, but there are several others that work well too. Plus, you get lossless audio (TrueHD, DTS-MA) with the height channels (Atmos, DTS:X).

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
It was a library/compatibility layer update only - no update to RMP itself.
Yeah, I've done a bit of testing. Can't find any fixes for anything previously reported.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts

I agree it isn't a go-to network media player. I use kodi for that.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I just tested DTS with both RMP and Plex. My AVR reports DTS audio with both. I don't have a list of titles that I have with DTS, so I just checked some until I found one. It was only two channel DTS, so perhaps not the best test. I'll search a bit more to see if I can find something with 5.1 DTS that isn't Master Audio.
I've played a couple of movies that have only DTS-MA (formatted DTS with ES and XLL extensions in 5.1 and 7.1) and it sent to my receiver the core DTS.

On occasion on start up some movies with DTS will play choppy but all I have to do is rewind a few seconds, then hit play again to get smooth video.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I've played a couple of movies that have only DTS-MA (formatted DTS with ES and XLL extensions in 5.1 and 7.1) and it sent to my receiver the core DTS.

On occasion on start up some movies with DTS will play choppy but all I have to do is rewind a few seconds, then hit play again to get smooth video.
I have had intermittent success letting my server feed DTS-MA to the Roku and letting it strip out the DTS core. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it will play for a short time and then error out, and sometimes it won't play at all. I decided long ago to just have my server transcode the audio to AC3 when using a Roku. Everything is flawless then. If I want the full Master Audio track, then I use my Shield instead. And if I want captions from any of my ripped discs, I have to use the Shield. The only videos I have that Roku will display the captions is recorded OTA TV, saved into a TS container.

But I will try the rewind trick to see if that clears up the choppy DTS playback .

·
Registered
699 Posts
Ultra LT also does not support Dolby Atmos or Dolby Vision.

Detailed comparison here: Official "Help Me Choose A Streaming...
The Ultra LT does support Atmos - in passthrough mode (DD+/Atmos) like nearly all Roku models.

It doesnt support Dolby Atmos decoding, or Dolby Atmos on NF, but it supports Atmos (DD+/Atmos passthrough) everywhere else (everything except NF effectively).

Every more recent model supports DD+/Atmos (E-AC3/JOC) passthrough, even if app support effectively limits it to 4K/HDR-capable ones (aside from RMP etc)

It also supports HLG, as does every 4K/HDR-capable model since late 2018.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Tested DTS last night - DTS failed to playback/output on the 4800 w/firmware 9.4.1-4222 in all HDMI modes (auto detect, auto passthrough, manual config) whereas it played without issues on every other model (3910/3800/3810/4670) on 9.4.0-4200.

Tested on multiple DTS-capable AVRs/TVs.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
There's two different versions of Atmos available via streaming providers. One uses EAC-3 (Dolby Digital+), and that is supported by virtually all Roku devices. The other uses AC-4, and to my understanding only Netflix is using that codec at the moment.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Tested DTS last night - DTS failed playback/output on the 4800 w/firmware 9.4.1-4222 in all HDMI modes (auto detect, auto passthrough, manual config) whereas it played without issues on every other model (3910/3800/3810/4670) on 9.4.0-4200.
Tested on multiple DTS-capable AVRs/TVs
Weird. Works fine with my 4800 with the one title I tried. I'll need to find a few more of my files with standard DTS and see if any of them fail.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Weird. Works fine with my 4800 with the one title I tried. I'll need to find a few more of my files with standard DTS and see if any of them fail.
Tested via both UPnP/DLNA and USB with both samples and rips using both DTS & DTSMA on 2 different 4800s/4670s/3810s and a 3910 and 3800 - everything but the 4800s played everything on everything.

I certainly wasn't expecting it either, considering I never had an issue of DTS output being completely broken on any other firmware for any other model going back years (though there were other issues, chief among them being being huge AV sync issues).

Initially I thought it might be a Serviio profile issue (was testing via UPnP/DLNA) since IPs tend to shift relative to wired/wireless etc and I hadn't configured all devices at all IPs with the same profile, but that was quickly dispelled when I did configure them uniformly on all interfaces/IPs, followed by USB testing.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Tested via both UPnP/DLNA and USB with both samples and rips using both DTS & DTSMA on 2 different 4800s/4670s/3810s and a 3910 and 3800 - everything but the 4800s played everything on everything.

I certainly wasn't expecting it either, considering I never had an issue of DTS output being completely broken on any other firmware for any other model going back years (though there were other issues, chief among them being being huge AV sync issues).

Initially I thought it might be a Serviio profile issue (was testing via UPnP/DLNA) since IPs tend to shift relative to wired/wireless etc and I hadn't configured all devices at all IPs with the same profile, but that was quickly dispelled when I did configure them uniformly on all interfaces/IPs, followed by USB testing.
I'm the author of the Serviio profiles, so hopefully they're working well for you. I'm still waiting to see if perhaps Roku is going to add full audio bitstreaming, now that they've added a passthrough setting. If they do, I'll need a new set of profiles. One set for using an AVR and another for transcoding the audio for TV sets.

·
Registered
699 Posts
There's two different versions of Atmos available via streaming providers. One uses EAC-3 (Dolby Digital+), and that is supported by virtually all Roku devices. The other uses AC-4, and to my understanding only Netflix is using that codec at the moment.
NetFlix uses DD+/Atmos (E-AC3/JOC); its their mandatory Dolby decoding requirement that limits NF Atmos availability. The announcement back in May 2019 was them simply increasing their bitrates.

While its likely that at some point NF (or anyone else) will directly support AC4, it would likely only be available for newer devices that have AC4 support - all the "legacy" devices would continue to receive E-AC3, at least for many years, considering the installed E-AC3 capable device base.

·
Registered
460 Posts

I also stream from my NAS via DLNA protocol and never had an issue with DTS (in any form). The files are in MKV. It is odd you cannot get it to work on your 4800, even with choppy video playback.

15041 - 15060 of 15122 Posts