AVS Forum banner

15761 - 15780 of 15997 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Watching Kong vs Godzilla last night on the HBO app with the Ultra and noticed a lot of flickering in the scenes every few minutes.
I turned off auto refresh on the Ultra and rebooted, zero flickering after that.
Does everyone keep the auto refresh off?
This seems to be the first time I have encountered the problem.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Watching Kong vs Godzilla last night on the HBO app with the Ultra and noticed a lot of flickering in the scenes every few minutes.
I turned off auto refresh on the Ultra and rebooted, zero flickering after that.
Does everyone keep the auto refresh off?
This seems to be the first time I have encountered the problem.
My past issue with framerate matching was only with MPEG-2 video, mostly DVD rips. So yes, I've generally left it off. I also don't care for the screen blanking that happens every time the framerate changes (and I completely understand why it happens), so that's why it still remains off.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have several streaming platforms. Roku Ultra 2019 and Roku Express. A PC that can running Windows 7, 10 or Linux. An old Android TV running Android 5.1. A newer Lenova Tab 8 Android tablet, running Android 7.x. They all have their advantages and disadvantages for streaming video.

I now mostly just use my PC, to stream. I like having a full keyboard and mouse to look for stuff - plus, I have a Wordpad document with links to the shows I watch, that I can easily click on to watch. And when I can't understand the dialog, I can easily play with the presets I have created on the software graphic equalizer, which helps a little.

Usually Firefox, but some streaming sources only work with Chrome. I used to use Kodi, but it is so awkward, and gets so easily confused...

(I even bought a newer PC, with an i7, and a 4K video board with a Cuda compatible GPU, but haven't really used it much yet. I hope to get back to playing with data compression, an area I sometimes used to work in.)

But I go back to the Roku Ultra during those times that the Internet becomes unreliable. My (2019) Roku seems to me pretty rock solid, though I admit my TV is only 1080p, and I've given up on finding interesting surround sound streaming content - the show matters more than the format. Right now, to me, that stability is what really makes the Roku shine. A few dropped packet on the other platforms, and the browser software sometimes gets confused.

But for a few days I just went back to the Roku Ultra, because Disney+ shows stopped showing closed captions on Firefox and Chrome on the PC. I don't get it. Disney is a pretty big company to mess something like that up for a few days! Then again, a lot of people in this forum are having troubles with the most recent Roku Ultra, and Roku is a pretty big company too.

I've also started playing with an Android tablet, though it doesn't have an HDMI port, which is a nuisance. An 8 inch touchscreen is almost as good as having a keyboard and mouse, as long as I don't need to search too much. I bought a keyboard that is supposed to work with it, but haven't tried it yet, and I've only tried a few streaming sources. My very old Android TV doesn't work with much.

However, Android's Firefox and Chrome browsers aren't nearly as good as Windows OS Firefox and Chrome browsers, a nuisance. E.g., if the page you specify isn't in the search engine, they can't use it. I don't understand why Android's browsers aren't as good as the Linux browsers. :(

I guess it makes sense to have multiple streaming platforms to work with, when Internet misbehaves, or when a streaming provider has trouble making stuff work with a given platform for a while.

Maybe I just like gadgets. :)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hey, those of you having troubles with the most recent Roku Ultra, or anything else in the Roku world -

Maybe you should become a beta tester:

Roku

Presumably they listen to the beta testers. That might be the best route to getting heard.

·
Coyote Waits
27,294 Posts
2) Additionally, you can change from the default "beta" servers (yes, beta is the default for nearly every device) to the "release" servers which reduces the number and frequency of builds offered at the (Updates)
Thanks for the detailed information. I'm now out of "beta" mode. What a strange default. :oops:

·
Coyote Waits
27,294 Posts
I can't figure out how two search for two search terms where both of them are in the same message. I keep getting all posts that contain either search term. I read the FAQ but failed to find anything.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
I can't figure out how two search for two search terms where both of them are in the same message. I keep getting all posts that contain either search term. I read the FAQ but failed to find anything.
The AVSForum search function has always been emasculated; I'm not sure it has ever incorporated logical operators.

For more than rudimentary searches, you are better off doing a site search (e.g., with the term "site:AVSForum.com") using Google or a similar search engine.

Reactions: MRG1 and naustin

·
Premium Member
35,826 Posts
The AVSForum search function has always been emasculated; I'm not sure it has ever incorporated logical operators.

For more than rudimentary searches, you are better off doing a site search (e.g., with the term "site:AVSForum.com") using Google or a similar search engine.
Absolutely, it's ridiculous that this site doesn't have simple Boolean search capability. I use the "site:" method all the time when I want to find anything here and it's usually 99% accurate in bringing up what I want in the first or second listing. The search function on this site is garbage.

·
Coyote Waits
27,294 Posts
I use the "site:" method all the time when I want to find anything here and it's usually 99% accurate in bringing up what I want in the first or second listing.
Thanks. That should work for me.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I experienced my first brief HDCP error today on my 4800, it was only about 2 to 5 seconds long, and corrected itself. Audio didn't quit. What's funny is, this is on a 1080p only TV, so not 4k, or HDR to worry about, and I was watching YouTube, which isn't even protected content. Not sure what happened, but it's been fine nice. It was the black screen with white text with the Red heading like the FBI warning on a movie. Anyway, I'm not concerned about it, I just wanted to post the incident, and that it happened on NON protected content, or even with 4k, or HDR content either.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
The only time I get HDCP error messages is after or between commercials on YouTube TV (not on YouTube). Very strange.
I pay for YouTube Premium, so that rules out ads for me. Could have been a rare glitch that just happened. Sometimes if I turn off the TV while things are playing, or change to another source while content is playing to check the other input content, it will do it: However that wasn't the case this time, unless The Roku thought I did causing the glitch.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Not strange at all if you use your customer base as your unwitting involuntary QA team...
Just went into the Secret menu for the 1st time and found that my 2019 Ultra was on the Release server, not the beta server.

Never have had any problems, so that's where it's staying.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
15761 - 15780 of 15997 Posts