AVS Forum banner

15781 - 15800 of 15997 Posts

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
There are all sorts of "Secret Screens" for the Roku (some of which appear/disappear/change with different versions/builds of RokuOS), and you can find different partial lists if you search:

e.g. Roku Secret Menus
I don't know if this is still true or not, but a couple years ago I used some of the secret menus to do things like downgrade the OS, etc, change other settings, and one of the Roku staff from their forums explained that the secret menus are more for developers, and not really for the end user. Even though they are publicly accessible. So I haven't messed with them since.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
While there are some worthwhile settings in the various secret menus, as well as some informative screens, there's also some settings that actually don't do anything any longer, such as bitrate limiting. Because they aren't "official" settings, use them at your risk, and just because there's a setting for something there don't depend on it to actually do something.

·
Premium Member
7,002 Posts
So, I joined the conversation a couple of weeks ago regarding the constant "HDCP Error Messages" that we are experiencing with the 2020 Roku Ultra. I was just "Chatting" with an online Customer Service Rep for Roku and it was the worst customer support I've ever experienced. I started the "Chat" by telling Sash (his/her name, not sure which) of the problem and informing him/her that all of my devices in the "HDMI chain" are HDCP 2.2 compliant and yet every time I followed their procedure to remedy the problem it was in vain. Sash simply wrote, "Alright." Then I asked him/her if Roku was working on a "Firmware Update" or perhaps a "Hardware solution" and again it was met with one word, "Alright." I tried two more communications and each time the response was "Alright." Finally, I wrote, "Why do you keep saying 'Alright' instead of answering my questions?" and he/she ended the Chat immediately.

I have loved my former Rokus that I have had through the years. I even love the Roku Ultra (the speed is awesome and the video/audio is amazing), but this ongoing "Handshake Issue" is totally unacceptable.

I am still within the Return window so I'm sending it back to Amazon for a refund. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what player to get that has the speed and the Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos that the Ultra has?

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
So, I joined the conversation a couple of weeks ago regarding the constant "HDCP Error Messages" that we are experiencing with the 2020 Roku Ultra. I was just "Chatting" with an online Customer Service Rep for Roku and it was the worst customer support I've ever experienced. I started the "Chat" by telling Sash (his/her name, not sure which) of the problem and informing him/her that all of my devices in the "HDMI chain" are HDCP 2.2 compliant and yet every time I followed their procedure to remedy the problem it was in vain. Sash simply wrote, "Alright." Then I asked him/her if Roku was working on a "Firmware Update" or perhaps a "Hardware solution" and again it was met with one word, "Alright." I tried two more communications and each time the response was "Alright." Finally, I wrote, "Why do you keep saying 'Alright' instead of answering my questions?" and he/she ended the Chat immediately.

I have loved my former Rokus that I have had through the years. I even love the Roku Ultra (the speed is awesome and the video/audio is amazing), but this ongoing "Handshake Issue" is totally unacceptable.

I am still within the Return window so I'm sending it back to Amazon for a refund. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what player to get that has the speed and the Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos that the Ultra has?
I had the constant false HDCP errors on my Ultra 4660X for about five months last year (they started after I had been using the device without a hitch for a full year). I was always able to clear the error with a reboot of the Ultra, and that resolved the issue for that session; but the next time I launched the Ultra the error came back. After a series of back-and-forth email communications with Roku Support in which they assured me that they were working on the problem (with several unsolicited updates from them), the glitches suddenly disappeared entirely last December and have not recurred. I am reasonably certain that the Roku engineers had identified and rectified the problem in my case since the difference in operation has been night and day (knock on wood!).

I have an arsenal of media streaming devices, with at least five at each of my two setups; that's just the nature of the beast right now on the streaming landscape where no one solution has it all. My recommendation to you for an alternative (or addition) to the Ultra is the Chromecast with Google TV (CCGTV). It has become my go-to device, and it's dirt cheap if you are a Netflix subscriber (or care to become one)--just $6.05 (plus sales tax, if any) after the Netflix credits.

Chromecast with Google TV and Netflix bundle

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I added an Nvidia Shield alongside my 2019 Roku Ultra to get Nvidia's 4K AI upscaling and it has mostly displaced the Ultra except for Apple TV+, a service that the Shield simply doesn't have.

Like the Rokus - and unlike the Amazon Fire TVs - the Shield is an open platform (it's Android-based), and doesn't mess around with my icon placement, nor does it waste screen space on advertisements.

The Shield also moonlights as a Chromecast, so I can "cast" media to it that it doesn't have an app for. (When left idling on its home screen it will end up showing the Chromecast landscape photo screensaver.)

My only knock on it is that it should be rebooted from its settings menu before going into its Prime Video app in order to get surround sound - but it reboots much more quickly than a Roku, so I'm ok with that.

At $150 for the basic model and $200 for the Pro model it's pricier than anything but the Apple TV but I think it's worth it.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
I added an Nvidia Shield alongside my 2019 Roku Ultra to get Nvidia's 4K AI upscaling and it has mostly displaced the Ultra except for Apple TV+, a service that the Shield simply doesn't have.

Like the Rokus - and unlike the Amazon Fire TVs - the Shield is an open platform (it's Android-based), and doesn't mess around with my icon placement, nor does it waste screen space on advertisements.

The Shield also moonlights as a Chromecast, so I can "cast" media to it that it doesn't have an app for. (When left idling on its home screen it will end up showing the Chromecast landscape photo screensaver.)

My only knock on it is that it should be rebooted from its settings menu before going into its Prime Video app in order to get surround sound - but it reboots much more quickly than a Roku, so I'm ok with that.

At $150 for the basic model and $200 for the Pro model it's pricier than anything but the Apple TV but I think it's worth it.
I had an Nvidia Shield for years and loved it (despite some limitations as you have mentioned). But I sold it shortly after getting my first CCGTV as the Shield had become an unnecessary redundancy (as opposed to what I consider the necessary redundancy of the Ultra for me). Unless the user needs the additional features of the Shield, such as for gaming or playing local media, it is not worth the staggering price difference with the basic CCGTV ($50), let alone the steeply discounted bundle offer.

·
Premium Member
7,002 Posts
I had the constant false HDCP errors on my Ultra 4660X for about five months last year (they started after I had been using the device without a hitch for a full year). I was always able to clear the error with a reboot of the Ultra, and that resolved the issue for that session; but the next time I launched the Ultra the error came back. After a series of back-and-forth email communications with Roku Support in which they assured me that they were working on the problem (with several unsolicited updates from them), the glitches suddenly disappeared entirely last December and have not recurred. I am reasonably certain that the Roku engineers had identified and rectified the problem in my case since the difference in operation has been night and day (knock on wood!).
So, what exactly do you mean when you say, "they assured me that they were working on the problem (with several unsolicited updates from them)?" Are you saying they sent you "Firmware Updates?" and that this is what caused the glitches to disappear? If you're not referring to "Firmware Updates" what did you mean by "unsolicited updates?"

Again, I specifically asked the Chat Representative if Roku had or was working on a Firmware Update to correct this issue and the only response was "Alright." Perhaps I would have had a better experience had I opted to email a Customer Service Rep but I've grown so impatient, and my Return Window is closing soon, so I opted to do the "Chat" instead.

The fact that you did eventually have success has me thinking I should try another Roku Ultra (maybe even the 2021 model). I was truly impressed with speed and the A/V quality of the player so I would rather go that route than the one you suggested (since I don't have Netflix).

·
Premium Member
7,002 Posts
So, I just packaged up the Ultra to return it and then set up my 2 year old Roku Premiere Plus. I am watching The Falcon and Winter Soldier on Disney Plus and it looks "almost" as good as the the Ultra but of course it lacks Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. Yet it doesn't experience any HDCP 2.2 Error messages and that, in and of itself, has me smiling! :)

I am tempted to just order another Premiere Plus (since I'm using the one we connect to another display) yet I see that they no longer have the "Ethernet" option and that's a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
The basic Shield does have Atmos and Dolby Vision, and it has both wifi and an ethernet jack. The Pro adds a USB jack and 64-bit processing, but I'm fine with the basic version (commonly called "the tube"), which I've been using since last May.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I might add that even the basic Shield has Gigabit Ethernet, as well as supporting all the lossless audio codecs. If you watch a lot of ripped discs on your local network, nothing can beat the Shield.

Reactions: JGrana

·
Premium Member
7,002 Posts

Sounds good! I'm researching it now and may very well choose this to replace the Roku Ultra. So, I take it there are ZERO HANDSHAKE ISSUES involving HDCP 2.2.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
So, what exactly do you mean when you say, "they assured me that they were working on the problem (with several unsolicited updates from them)?" Are you saying they sent you "Firmware Updates?" and that this is what caused the glitches to disappear? If you're not referring to "Firmware Updates" what did you mean by "unsolicited updates?"
I was referring to email updates, not firmware.

·
Premium Member
7,002 Posts
I was referring to email updates, not firmware.
So, that begs the question, "What info did they give you in their email updates that helped you to solve the 'HDCP Error Message' problem?"

If you would share that with those of us who are still plagued by this annoying problem maybe I (and others) could avoid returning it.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Sounds good! I'm researching it now and may very well choose this to replace the Roku Ultra. So, I take it there are ZERO HANDSHAKE ISSUES involving HDCP 2.2.
I bought a Shield a couple of months ago and haven't had any HDCP 2.2 issues. However, I do get the black screen (with audio) issue when starting a movie with Dolby Vision. It's easy to correct (toggle the setup menu on and then off), but annoying.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I sometimes get the HDCP error message with my 4660 Roku, connected to an older Denon receiver and a 1080p plasma TV, but it will go away after 3 to 5 seconds and play like normal. I thought it was exclusive to the Framerate matching feature for me, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it when starting Hulu, and that is locked in at 60 Hz. I figured I'd mention this in case anyone finds this helpful.

·
Premium Member
7,002 Posts
I sometimes get the HDCP error message with my 4660 Roku, connected to an older Denon receiver and a 1080p plasma TV, but it will go away after 3 to 5 seconds and play like normal. I thought it was exclusive to the Framerate matching feature for me, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it when starting Hulu, and that is locked in at 60 Hz. I figured I'd mention this in case anyone finds this helpful.
My "Error Message" only lasts a few seconds too and then plays like normal, but it happens way too often. When watching the latest episode of "The Falcon and the Winter Soldier" on Disney Plus it must have happened a half dozen times (in a 45 minute episode). That is unacceptable TO ME and something I won't live with.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
When I set up my new 2020 ultra, I used auto settings for display type. This morning I changed it to 1080p TV, and made sure auto frame rate matching was off, which it was. I noticed when setting the display resolution manually (if you know what your TV can handle) also increases the reboot time from bouncing logo to homescreen several seconds. I will use it this way to see how it does for me. Also wanted to mention I got the point firmware update from build 4236 to 4237 last night. As I've mentioned previously, I haven't had a lot of issues with either Roku over the past year or so, I just wanted to see if the occasional HDCP errors were connected to auto settings vs setting things to manual. I personally think manual is always best, UNLESS you NEED auto.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
For myself, the HDCP error is something that occasionally appears, but it's really rare and only lasts a few seconds. I think for the entire Kong movie on HBO Max I saw it once, while a title or two on Disney+ never had it at all. My Ultra 4800 is connected to a Yamaha AVR and an LG Nano85 TV. Cables are not name brand anything, just some that were rated for 18 Gbps.

15781 - 15800 of 15997 Posts