AVS Forum banner

15801 - 15820 of 15997 Posts

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
So, that begs the question, "What info did they give you in their email updates that helped you to solve the 'HDCP Error Message' problem?"

If you would share that with those of us who are still plagued by this annoying problem maybe I (and others) could avoid returning it.
In my email exchanges I simply reported my HDCP issue with details on my setup, the observed symptoms, and the troubleshooting steps I had taken. After the first few exchanges, subsequent emails did not contain any actionable information but rather simply served to confirm that Roku was continuing to work on the problem.

There can be a host of causes for HDCP errors; in my case it did not appear to be due to any factor on my end relating to equipment, connections, etc., and my conclusion is that it was a software glitch introduced by a FW update that was roughly coincidental with the first appearance of the errors. That conclusion was reinforced when the glitch, which had begun suddenly out of nowhere and had been occurring consistently with every viewing session for five months, disappeared at the end of December never to crop up again to date (three months and counting).

But your situation is very different from mine and is probably unrelated. I got the error each and every time I started a viewing session and could only clear it by rebooting the Ultra. You have a different model and are reporting very different symptoms. From my reading, Roku devices have been historically infamous for introducing these HDCP errors. My only suggestion, if you want to hold on the Ultra, is to report your problem via email and then keep in contact until you get a resolution, knowing that it may take some time.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
I finally captured the screen artifacting issue that happens every 5-10 minutes on non-4k videos. As I mentioned before, Prime has this problem the worst. Here is one glitch I caught:

The green is the most notable aspect of this glitching but it has other traits, too. Below is what the coloring normally looks like without the glitch and is fine.

Notice the glitching stayed present when I paused the video and even after the menus appeared. I was shocked by that.

Reactions: RagtopFE

·
Premium Member
7,002 Posts
In my email exchanges I simply reported my HDCP issue with details on my setup, the observed symptoms, and the troubleshooting steps I had taken. After the first few exchanges, subsequent emails did not contain any actionable information but rather simply served to confirm that Roku was continuing to work on the problem.

There can be a host of causes for HDCP errors; in my case it did not appear to be due to any factor on my end relating to equipment, connections, etc., and my conclusion is that it was a software glitch introduced by a FW update that was roughly coincidental with the first appearance of the errors. That conclusion was reinforced when the glitch, which had begun suddenly out of nowhere and had been occurring consistently with every viewing session for five months, disappeared at the end of December never to crop up again to date (three months and counting).

But your situation is very different from mine and is probably unrelated. I got the error each and every time I started a viewing session and could only clear it by rebooting the Ultra. You have a different model and are reporting very different symptoms. From my reading, Roku devices have been historically infamous for introducing these HDCP errors. My only suggestion, if you want to hold on the Ultra, is to report your problem via email and then keep in contact until you get a resolution, knowing that it may take some time.
Thanks for the clarification. Yes, my situation is indeed different than yours and if my "Return Window" wasn't closing soon (in one week) I would report my problem via email and go from there. I have boxed up the Ultra and will send it back to Amazon for a full refund. I'm not sure what I will do for a replacement, but I do know that I want a device with Dolby Vision & Dolby Atmos now that I've seen and heard how good it is.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. Yes, my situation is indeed different than yours and if my "Return Window" wasn't closing soon (in one week) I would report my problem via email and go from there. I have boxed up the Ultra and will send it back to Amazon for a full refund. I'm not sure what I will do for a replacement, but I do know that I want a device with Dolby Vision & Dolby Atmos now that I've seen and heard how good it is.
FireTV devices, Shield, AppleTV, etc. are all options. It really comes down to if you want 24p output capabilities.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I finally captured the screen artifacting issue that happens every 5-10 minutes on non-4k videos. As I mentioned before, Prime has this problem the worst. Here is one glitch I caught:

View attachment 3120012

The green is the most notable aspect of this glitching but it has other traits, too. Below is what the coloring normally looks like without the glitch and is fine.

View attachment 3120013

Notice the glitching stayed present when I paused the video and even after the menus appeared. I was shocked by that.
I watched that scene 5 times in a row just now on two Roku's on Amazon Prime and it never did that. So, it is not in the source.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
I watched that scene 5 times in a row just now on two Roku's on Amazon Prime and it never did that. So, it is not in the source.
correct. I have verified multiple ways also. Anytime it happens, I can rewind and watch again without the artifact happening. It appears to be time based when it happens and not specific to anything being played. And of course if it was app/content related my Ultra 4660 should have the same issues but it doesnt. With Roku also no longer responding to my open support tickets I may just have to move on and cut my losses.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
So, I joined the conversation a couple of weeks ago regarding the constant "HDCP Error Messages" that we are experiencing with the 2020 Roku Ultra. I was just "Chatting" with an online Customer Service Rep for Roku and it was the worst customer support I've ever experienced. I started the "Chat" by telling Sash (his/her name, not sure which) of the problem and informing him/her that all of my devices in the "HDMI chain" are HDCP 2.2 compliant and yet every time I followed their procedure to remedy the problem it was in vain. Sash simply wrote, "Alright." Then I asked him/her if Roku was working on a "Firmware Update" or perhaps a "Hardware solution" and again it was met with one word, "Alright." I tried two more communications and each time the response was "Alright." Finally, I wrote, "Why do you keep saying 'Alright' instead of answering my questions?" and he/she ended the Chat immediately.

I have loved my former Rokus that I have had through the years. I even love the Roku Ultra (the speed is awesome and the video/audio is amazing), but this ongoing "Handshake Issue" is totally unacceptable.

I am still within the Return window so I'm sending it back to Amazon for a refund. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what player to get that has the speed and the Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos that the Ultra has?
Alright.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts

I realize you are talking about SDR content but have you tried changing the advanced display settings HDR sampling to 4:2:2? I know it says HDR but it helped with some banding I've seen in the past though I forget whether the content was SDR or not.

·
UHD Addict
38,243 Posts
Son in law’s HDCP errors back. ROKU is gone. He’s getting an AppleTV 4K.
I can't say that my ATV 4K boxes could replace my ROkus. Or that my Rokus could replace my ATV 4Ks. They compliment each other since they each have their pros and cons.

Personally I put my ATV 4Ks at the bottom of my list of preferred streamers. I prefer my ROkus or Android devices over my ATV 4K boxes. But my ATV4K boxes are necessary for me to access certain content in Dolby Vision and/or Atmos.

Reactions: lujan

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
I realize you are talking about SDR content but have you tried changing the advanced display settings HDR sampling to 4:2:2? I know it says HDR but it helped with some banding I've seen in the past though I forget whether the content was SDR or not.
I always keep mine on 4:2:2. I guess I could try 4:2:0 to see what happens.

·
Premium Member
7,002 Posts
I always keep mine on 4:2:2. I guess I could try 4:2:0 to see what happens.
I tried the 4:2:0 setting and I got an "HDCP Error" message within 3 minutes!

Reactions: badtlc

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
I can't say that my ATV 4K boxes could replace my ROkus. Or that my Rokus could replace my ATV 4Ks. They compliment each other since they each have their pros and cons.

Personally I put my ATV 4Ks at the bottom of my list of preferred streamers. I prefer my ROkus or Android devices over my ATV 4K boxes. But my ATV4K boxes are necessary for me to access certain content in Dolby Vision and/or Atmos.
The Roku has always been the best for FandangoNow 4k HDR and audio content. The ATV4K device doesn't even have HDR on the FN app and I believe the audio is only in stereo.

·
Premium Member
7,002 Posts
For the record, I have had multiple Rokus through the years and never had a real problem that I couldn't live with. My Roku Premiere Plus, which I'm using now, is great. But I "just had to have" the newest with Dolby Vision/Atmos so I got the Ultra.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Because of CDNs (content distribution networks) people in different places/times can/may/will see different versions of the "same video."
If you watch the "same video" multiple times in a row, you'll keep a particular version in the CDN nearest you.

Sometimes, I wonder if they make these things unreproduceable on purpose.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Crazy all these HDCP errors. I've had the new Ultra since October when it came out. Maybe a few of these HDCP errors but it comes back in a few seconds; so no resets or anything like that. Has been very stable (wood knock). The only issue i had was the constant force of HDR but i toggled that off and had to go to the 4:2:2 in order keep signal. So nots sure what that is all about but it would black screen me on 4:2:0. But like I said hardly any issues so I have left everything alone. ymmv apparently lol.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
So nots sure what that is all about but it would black screen me on 4:2:0.
I just switched to 4:2:0 last night to see if it reduced the video artifacts and Philo was giving me the black screens every few minutes. Highly annoying. I was hoping it would go away after I power cycled everything but your post makes me think it wont.

·
Registered
710 Posts
If I get a 4K HDR TV (no specific brand/model - whatever I can find used), are there likely to be any sort of problems using it with my Roku Ultra 2019 model 4670?

E.g., did the 4670 have any of the surround sound, HDCP errors, etc., that some of you have seen on the 4800 model?

Also, are there any 4K TV brands and models that work better or worse with 4670 boxes?

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Just letting everyone know that the latest version of RokuOS 10 is version 10.0.0 build 4165. My 4660X that's still in use received the update today. No Roku OS 10 updates for the 4800 yet.

15801 - 15820 of 15997 Posts