AVS Forum banner

16241 - 16260 of 16377 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
just got an ultra with dolby vision, the 2020 version i think

when i went to youtube app, there were some random searches on the left.

this is a brand new ultra, could this mean it has been used before, is a refurbished? or youtube just automatically put some searches in there?
Auto-filled "hot" search results...

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
It was a build update (most Vudu updates on Roku are).

The last two updates (including this one) required me to re-authenticate, so there may have been updates related to that/Roku Pay.

Other than that, I didnt notice any significant UI/functionality changes, but I also don't use Vudu very much (and I use it on multiple devices when I do, which all have client app differences)
OK, I didn't seem to have to re-auth on either Roku after the update, so maybe it's specific. Was just curious because I use VUDU as one of my main services for Movies and TV when it comes to digital copies, the other most used would be iTunes (Apple TV). Some Content such as TV shows isn't like MoviesAnywhere, so it's locked to the service I purchased it in. I'm mainly glad to see it's still being updated.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
OK, I didn't seem to have to re-auth on either Roku after the update, so maybe it's specific. Was just curious because I use VUDU as one of my main services for Movies and TV when it comes to digital copies, the other most used would be iTunes (Apple TV). Some Content such as TV shows isn't like MoviesAnywhere, so it's locked to the service I purchased it in. I'm mainly glad to see it's still being updated.
Not only is it "still being updated", but its purchase/merger with Fandango will hopefully secure its future. I consolidated all of my streaming library/purchases to Vudu a few years ago (from Disney/Apple/etc) and now even rent the occasional streamer from them (instead of Amazon/Redbox/etc.).

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I use VUDU linked to Movies Anywhere along with Amazon Prime Video. I find that VUDU and MA give superior experiences in watching things that are shared between the three of them because VUDU and MA let you pick and choose among extra features while Prime rolls all the extra features into one, and Prime limits Atmos to its "Amazon Originals."

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I use VUDU linked to Movies Anywhere along with Amazon Prime Video. I find that VUDU and MA give superior experiences in watching things that are shared between the three of them because VUDU and MA let you pick and choose among extra features while Prime rolls all the extra features into one, and Prime limits Atmos to its "Amazon Originals."
For the 4K titles I've purchased, I have to switch between Prime, Vudu, Movies Anywhere and sometimes even Apple TV to find one that has it in 4K. Of course, I generally simply stream the ripped movie from my media server using my Shield, so I get the lossless audio and better video bitrate.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
For the 4K titles I've purchased, I have to switch between Prime, Vudu, Movies Anywhere and sometimes even Apple TV to find one that has it in 4K. Of course, I generally simply stream the ripped movie from my media server using my Shield, so I get the lossless audio and better video bitrate.
I don't rip 4K titles, but I have ripped all my standard Blu-ray, and DVDs (that I think are worth having on the server). I have Plex, and Serviio, and I also use InFuse with an SMB share to the same media (for Apple TV.) My only frustration, and why I've started using the physical media again for certain titles is, the streaming solution, even though it's an exact copy of what's on disc in MKV doesn't seem to play the automatic subtitles (Star Wars for example) the alien languages don't play like they do automatically when watching from disc. I've never figured out how to fix that problem for local streaming. When streaming from VUDU, or another service, or watching from disc, it works without problem. Simply selecting English subtitles when using a local streaming solution seems to subtitle the entire movie vs the parts needed. If anyone knows how to resolve this, would appreciate it. Apart from this minor frustration, I've had very little, to no issues using Plex, or Serviio, or InFuse to watch my ripped movie collection. In fact, I just got a WD My Book 12 TB drive to increase storage my my local media collection. So far, all is well.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Yep, Roku devices don't support the captions used on DVDs or Blu rays. they are image based, and Roku only supports text based captions. On my Rokus, captions work fine for my OTA recordings, since broadcast captions are all text based. That's one more reason I use the Shield for most of my local playback, as it displays the captions from everything.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Yep, Roku devices don't support the captions used on DVDs or Blu rays. they are image based, and Roku only supports text based captions. On my Rokus, captions work fine for my OTA recordings, since broadcast captions are all text based. That's one more reason I use the Shield for most of my local playback, as it displays the captions from everything.
They don't seem to work with my media solution on Apple TV either. So I'm not sure if it's just Roku here at fault. Maybe I should try playing one of the movies in question over DLNA with one of my Sony Blu-ray players.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Anybody else with a Roku Ultra consistently have A/V sync problems with Amazon Prime Video? With my 4660X, the audio is usually slightly ahead of the video. I've tried just about every combination of audio and video settings possible. It doesn't matter what volume effects are enabled (night mode, etc.) It also doesn't matter if I manually change the video output resolution settings, or the auto/manual settings for audio configuration. It doesn't help if I pause or restart the video. I don't have this issue on other Roku apps or channels (Netflix, Youtube, Vudu, etc.) only on Prime Video.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Anybody else with a Roku Ultra consistently have A/V sync problems with Amazon Prime Video? With my 4660X, the audio is usually slightly ahead of the video. I've tried just about every combination of audio and video settings possible. It doesn't matter what volume effects are enabled (night mode, etc.) It also doesn't matter if I manually change the video output resolution settings, or the auto/manual settings for audio configuration. It doesn't help if I pause or restart the video. I don't have this issue on other Roku apps or channels (Netflix, Youtube, Vudu, etc.) only on Prime Video.
funny enough, i don't with the Roku Ultra or my TCL Roku tv's for Prime BUT, i do have the sync issues with the ATV4K and Prime; go figure! :unsure: 🤣

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
24 Posts
Apologies if this issue has been brought up recently and I didn't find the answer, but recently my Sony A8H connected to my Roku Ultra (2020) stopped displaying anything in Dolby Vision when streaming from my Roku apps. My netflix app in my Roku doesn't even show titles as DV as it did previously. It shows the DV titles as 4K HDR now. These are shows that I previously had watched in DV and the TV recognized it as DV just fine. In the apple tv app it does show titles as DV in the description but playing those titles it is recognized by the TV as HDR10. I tried to play a DV UHD blu ray from my blu ray player and the TV did recognize it as DV so I don't think it is anything to do with the Sony. I tried resetting the Roku and TV and unplugged the hdmi cables to make sure I wasn't getting any handshaking issues. Everything is connected to my denon receiver and one hdmi runs to the tv.

Any suggestions on what is happening here and how to fix this?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I tested my 4800 on Monday for DV from Netflix, Prime Video, Vudu, and all played just fine. I wonder if your TV might have gotten a software update that messed with something. Mine runs through a Yamaha AVR.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I tested my 4800 on Monday for DV from Netflix, Prime Video, Vudu, and all played just fine. I wonder if your TV might have gotten a software update that messed with something. Mine runs through a Yamaha AVR.
Yeah I'll have to play around with trouble shooting some more when I get home. I would imagine that whether due to a recent TV software updated or something else, the Roku no longer recognizes my TV as DV capable and thus not playing titles as DV anymore. Up until last week I never had any issues with this working properly. As I mentioned earlier, when playing a DV UHD blu ray, the TV displays it as DV just fine.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Apologies if this issue has been brought up recently and I didn't find the answer, but recently my Sony A8H connected to my Roku Ultra (2020) stopped displaying anything in Dolby Vision when streaming from my Roku apps. My netflix app in my Roku doesn't even show titles as DV as it did previously. It shows the DV titles as 4K HDR now. These are shows that I previously had watched in DV and the TV recognized it as DV just fine. In the apple tv app it does show titles as DV in the description but playing those titles it is recognized by the TV as HDR10. I tried to play a DV UHD blu ray from my blu ray player and the TV did recognize it as DV so I don't think it is anything to do with the Sony. I tried resetting the Roku and TV and unplugged the hdmi cables to make sure I wasn't getting any handshaking issues. Everything is connected to my denon receiver and one hdmi runs to the tv.

Any suggestions on what is happening here and how to fix this?
Yeah I'll have to play around with trouble shooting some more when I get home. I would imagine that whether due to a recent TV software updated or something else, the Roku no longer recognizes my TV as DV capable and thus not playing titles as DV anymore. Up until last week I never had any issues with this working properly. As I mentioned earlier, when playing a DV UHD blu ray, the TV displays it as DV just fine.
FTR, you contradicted yourself: first you state your Roku is connected to your TV, but then you say everything runs through your AVR. Which is it?

First rule of troubleshooting display related issues is to connect directly to your TV/display (to rule out AVR/switch/etc issues).

However, it sounds like a classic EDID/handshaking issue with a Roku firmware update (these unfortunately are quite common, Roku's HDMI EDID/handshaking coding engineers are incompetent to say the least, which is also why they have so many HDCP error issues going back years).

It could be that a recent firmware update to either the 4800 (likely, 10.0.0-4195 released within the last few weeks), to your AVR (maybe, unknown Denon model), or to your TV (unlikely, last firmware update released 3 months ago) is the cause, or that you changed a configuration setting in any of the three devices.

Regardless, directly connect the 4800 to the TV, and verify your Roku's and TV's settings (you can try manually configuring the Roku's display settings to "4K Dolby Vision TV" under Settings/Display).

·
Registered
24 Posts
FTR, you contradicted yourself: first you state your Roku is connected to your TV, but then you say everything runs through your AVR. Which is it?

First rule of troubleshooting display related issues is to connect directly to your TV/display (to rule out AVR/switch/etc issues).

However, it sounds like a classic EDID/handshaking issue with a Roku firmware update (these unfortunately are quite common, Roku's HDMI EDID/handshaking coding engineers are incompetent to say the least, which is also why they have so many HDCP error issues going back years).

It could be that a recent firmware update to either the 4800 (likely, 10.0.0-4195 released within the last few weeks), to your AVR (maybe, unknown Denon model), or to your TV (unlikely, last firmware update released 3 months ago) is the cause, or that you changed a configuration setting in any of the three devices.

Regardless, directly connect the 4800 to the TV, and verify your Roku's and TV's settings (you can try manually configuring the Roku's display settings to "4K Dolby Vision TV" under Settings/Display).
Ugh typo and good catch. Yes I have everything including the Roku connected to my Denon 1600h and only a single hdmi running from my AVR to my TV.

I'll try some of your suggestions and see if that can isolate where the issue may lie and go from there. Appreciate everyone's input. Seems like for most of these things, it can be a never ending cat and mouse game of figuring out what is going on or what changed!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Ugh typo and good catch. Yes I have everything including the Roku connected to my Denon 1600h and only a single hdmi running from my AVR to my TV.

I'll try some of your suggestions and see if that can isolate where the issue may lie and go from there. Appreciate everyone's input. Seems like for most of these things, it can be a never ending cat and mouse game of figuring out what is going on or what changed!
Unfortunately it is, they are little computers, and just as you have to keep up with motherboard firmware updates, other hardware firmware updates, OS updates, hardware driver updates, and app updates on those, you also have to keep up with all of the firmware/software/app updates on your consumer electronic devices, especially those in a connected home theater configuration.

None of this is helped by the fact that one particular device's firmware updates tend to have more than their fair share of HDMI handshaking related bugs, including frequent (and repeating) regression bugs (FYI, we're the regression testing/testers, along with the rest of the QA testing for Roku).

·
Registered
725 Posts

Another thing to try is to connect the Roku to a different HDMI input on the AVR. This worked for me when I stopped getting DV on my Shield.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts

Did you try the Roku directly connected to the TV yet? Interested to see what the results were.

16241 - 16260 of 16377 Posts