AVS Forum banner

16261 - 16280 of 16377 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Did you try the Roku directly connected to the TV yet? Interested to see what the results were.
So fiddled around with it a bit more last night. Removed the hdmi cable from my AVR and plugged into the TV and no still no luck, removed hdmi cables and re-inserted into my devices as I did previously and still no dolby vision displayed on my A8H. I then re-plugged everything back into my AVR as was before since it didn't seem the receiver was causing the issue. So went back to suggestion above by LG8600User to go into the Roku systems settings menu and under display settings I changed it from Auto detect to 4K Dolby Vision tv and voila, the Roku and Sony were playing nice again and DV was again now displaying DV as it had been before. The thing is, I had already set all of this up so long ago it was set it and forget it and never had an issue until now.

So probably as some suggested, with all of the software and firmware updates for the multitude of devices in the chain, it seems at times something won't play nice and it causes a chain reaction. I am sure at some point if this happens again in the future then it will only work if I change display type back to auto detect again or something else along those lines:D

Thanks again to all of you for the help and suggestions to get my issue resolved!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
So fiddled around with it a bit more last night. Removed the hdmi cable from my AVR and plugged into the TV and no still no luck, removed hdmi cables and re-inserted into my devices as I did previously and still no dolby vision displayed on my A8H. I then re-plugged everything back into my AVR as was before since it didn't seem the receiver was causing the issue. So went back to suggestion above by LG8600User to go into the Roku systems settings menu and under display settings I changed it from Auto detect to 4K Dolby Vision tv and voila, the Roku and Sony were playing nice again and DV was again now displaying DV as it had been before. The thing is, I had already set all of this up so long ago it was set it and forget it and never had an issue until now.

So probably as some suggested, with all of the software and firmware updates for the multitude of devices in the chain, it seems at times something won't play nice and it causes a chain reaction. I am sure at some point if this happens again in the future then it will only work if I change display type back to auto detect again or something else along those lines:D

Thanks again to all of you for the help and suggestions to get my issue resolved!
Be prepared for changed behavior with any Roku firmware update, and its wise to test/check functionality immediately afterwards - in your case it might be worthwhile to set it to Auto again afterwards to see if they addressed the EDID handshaking issue with your setup..

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I found today that the Apple TV app on my 2019 Ultra has stopped showing any video for my Apple + subscription - just sound, and with a vertical magenta stripe at the left end of the screen.

Fortunately, I found this right after installing the Apple TV app that finally became available on my NVidia Shield, where it works fine. Since Apple TV was the last app that I hadn't been able to get on my Shield - and was thus the reason my Ultra was still in my system, it looks like my Ultra is headed into its dotage.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I found today that the Apple TV app on my 2019 Ultra has stopped showing any video for my Apple + subscription - just sound, and with a vertical magenta stripe at the left end of the screen.

Fortunately, I found this right after installing the Apple TV app that finally became available on my NVidia Shield, where it works fine. Since Apple TV was the last app that I hadn't been able to get on my Shield - and was thus the reason my Ultra was still in my system, it looks like my Ultra is headed into its dotage.
I assume you mean from your ATV+ subscription content - it was working fine on my 4800, haven't tested the 4670 yet (I'll definitely keep this in mind when I do)

Apple released the ATV app for all AndroidTV devices a couple days ago, which certainly was a missing piece of the app puzzle for the Shield/TS4K and other AndroidTV-based devices (aside from the GCCWGTV which had it a few months ago).

The Shield still has other missing app puzzle pieces, such as Hulu 4K, Peacock 5.1, Paramount+ 5.1, FoxSports/FoxNow HDR, and YouTube HDR (all of which the Roku app versions have), but eventually it'll be a more complete streamer, if/when all those apps' functionality gets implemented.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I subscribe to Paramount+ through Amazon's Prime Video, where it's a "channel" - so I have it on my Shield. I'll worry about Hulu when The Orville returns. Fox and YouTube are not major concerns to me.

I'll try restarting my Ultra tonight to see if that helps Apple TV +.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
It's not just Apple TV - the same thing is true of the Prime Video and Netflix apps - even on 1080 material. I did a manual system update to Build 4198 of 10.0.0 and restarted and even yanked its power plug.

The Roku is now complaining of an HDMI error and telling me unplug the cable at both ends, which I tried, but I'm about to just unplug its power until I really need it - which I don't forsee.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
It's not just Apple TV - the same thing is true of the Prime Video and Netflix apps - even on 1080 material. I did a manual system update to Build 4198 of 10.0.0 and restarted and even yanked its power plug.

The Roku is now complaining of an HDMI error and telling me unplug the cable at both ends, which I tried, but I'm about to just unplug its power until I really need it - which I don't forsee.
I've seen other reports of upgrading to 4198 causing instant HDCP errors on bootup - you might try the classic fixes of
1) disabling Auto adjust display refresh rate,
2) changing the HDR subsampling, and
3) manually configuring the display, but considering your other issues, aside from
4) powering down the Roku (and the entire HDMI chain) completely for a few minutes, you may have to
5) do a factory reset

As usual, Roku's inferior HDMI handshaking code quality makes its appearance...

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I've seen other reports of upgrading to 4198 causing instant HDCP errors on bootup - you might try the classic fixes of
1) disabling Auto adjust display refresh rate,
2) changing the HDR subsampling, and
3) manually configuring the display, but considering your other issues, aside from
4) powering down the Roku (and the entire HDMI chain) completely for a few minutes, you may have to
5) do a factory reset

As usual, Roku's inferior HDMI handshaking code quality makes its appearance...
Which devices have 4198? I believe it's on my 4660, and my 4800 is on 4195. Both units seem to function normally here. I do have all display settings set to manual though on both units. I have set each Roku to it's maximum set of supported display features based on the TV it's connected to. The only HDCP errors I had is when trying to playback a 4k video via Plex at full quality on a 1080p setup, if I set the playback quality to 12 Mbps which is the next one down from original in this case, it plays fine. On the 4660, connected to the 4k compatible TV, there are no problems. My guess is, because the 1080p setup uses HDMI 1.4 vs 2x, it can't handle 4k at full quality, or it could simply be a bug in Roku's firmware. I'm able to play UHD discs in the player connected to that setup, and they're played at 1080p SDR without problems.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Which devices have 4198? I believe it's on my 4660, and my 4800 is on 4195. Both units seem to function normally here. I do have all display settings set to manual though on both units. I have set each Roku to it's maximum set of supported display features based on the TV it's connected to. The only HDCP errors I had is when trying to playback a 4k video via Plex at full quality on a 1080p setup, if I set the playback quality to 12 Mbps which is the next one down from original in this case, it plays fine. On the 4660, connected to the 4k compatible TV, there are no problems. My guess is, because the 1080p setup uses HDMI 1.4 vs 2x, it can't handle 4k at full quality, or it could simply be a bug in Roku's firmware. I'm able to play UHD discs in the player connected to that setup, and they're played at 1080p SDR without problems.
Non-4800 ultras, 38x0, some 39xx

Almost all HDCP errors with Rokus are related to sloppy firmware coding relating to HDMI handshaking (going back many years).

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I just checked my Premiere 3920, and it's now on 10.0 4200. We don't use this one a whole lot, but at least sitting on the home screen there's no HDCP error connected to a Vizio 40" 4K set.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
RokuOS firmware version 10.0.0-4200 available for manual download (non-4800)

Test & verify...
My 4800 is still saying 1.0.0 build 4195 is still up to date. Not showing the new version yet. Usually the update is ready for me, by the time i see it posted here.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
My 4800 is still saying 1.0.0 build 4195 is still up to date. Not showing the new version yet. Usually the update is ready for me, by the time i see it posted here.
oops i just saw non 4800 sorry. However, the 4660 isn't showing it either as of this morning.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've recently noticed my Roku Ultra will drop back to only offering HD content in Netflix. My display is connecting reliably as 4K HDR10, so it not the current HDMI connection. If I reset the Roku alone, Netflix is all 4K again. I've started the habit of resetting Roku, before watching Netflix. What is going on here?

System details: Roku Ultra to a Lumagen Radiance Pro 4446, video to a Sony VPL-VW665ES projector, audio to Marantz SR5011.

I expect it might be a start sequence issue, but the projector is slow, so it is hard to not have it start last.

Thanks for help advice on this,
David

·
Registered
986 Posts
I've recently noticed my Roku Ultra will drop back to only offering HD content in Netflix. My display is connecting reliably as 4K HDR10, so it not the current HDMI connection. If I reset the Roku alone, Netflix is all 4K again. I've started the habit of resetting Roku, before watching Netflix. What is going on here?

System details: Roku Ultra to a Lumagen Radiance Pro 4446, video to a Sony VPL-VW665ES projector, audio to Marantz SR5011.

I expect it might be a start sequence issue, but the projector is slow, so it is hard to not have it start last.

David
i have had that issue (don't remember i have a 4640x or 4060x or something like that :rolleyes:;) ) and when i start netflix, same thing, HD, so i quit netflix, start other apps and they are fine with HDR10. when i go back to netfix it's fine and shows HDR10. my ultra is connected to an LG 32 HDR monitor via HDMI and i use that primarily for my workstation which is connected via Display Port. i'm suspecting that this is an Netflix issue more so than a Roku issue.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts

David
I've noticed this with recent OS10/NetFlix builds - the solution is to reload NF (within NetFlix: Menu/Get Help/Reload NF)

However, there have been new NF builds released for most recent models within the last few days, that may address this issue.

This may be related to the new OS10 "Instant Resume" functionality - newer OS10 builds may stabilize this behavior.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Reattached power to my 2019 Ultra for the first time since yesterday. It behaved the same, so I went into Settings/Display type. Found it hard-coded for 4K HDR 60Hz, so I changed it to Auto, which selected 4K HDR10 at 60Hz.

Now everything works. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Reattached power to my 2019 Ultra for the first time since yesterday. It behaved the same, so I went into Settings/Display type. Found it hard-coded for 4K HDR 60Hz, so I changed it to Auto, which selected 4K HDR10 at 60Hz.

Now everything works. Go figure.
You probably manually configured it to workaround some past firmware update issue, and now that they fixed it you had to undo your workaround to get normal operation again.

It would be almost funny if it werent par for the course for Roku firmware upgrades.

16261 - 16280 of 16377 Posts