AVS Forum banner

16281 - 16300 of 16377 Posts

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Seems crazy to me that a TVs internal apps can have correct frame rate but a fairly powerful streaming box can’t?
roku can. It is up to the app developer to use it. The only one that seems to consistently not use it is Netflix. For me, frame rate switching at one point or another has worked for Prime Video, Apple TV+, HBO Max, Youtube, RMP, Jellyfin, and a few others i'm blanking on.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
449 Posts
roku can. It is up to the app developer to use it. The only one that seems to consistently not use it is Netflix. For me, frame rate switching at one point or another has worked for Prime Video, Apple TV+, HBO Max, Youtube, RMP, Jellyfin, and a few others i'm blanking on.
Disney plus is the biggest one to not use it

·
Registered
636 Posts
Regarding USB playback with Roku Media Player/RMP, does the Ultra 4670 decode DD+/EAC3 and 5.1 AAC for output straight to a TV (no AVR, etc)? I saw the Roku support page located at Roku but it doesn't mention which model does what. A family member (different household) has one and I'm trying to help them figure out what can and can't be played from USB.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Regarding USB playback with Roku Media Player/RMP, does the Ultra 4670 decode DD+/EAC3 and 5.1 AAC for output straight to a TV (no AVR, etc)? I saw the Roku support page located at Roku but it doesn't mention which model does what. A family member (different household) has one and I'm trying to help them figure out what can and can't be played from USB.

Roku's (players) dont pass AAC, its decoded/transcoded to PCM or Dolby, depending on the device/settings (as per the article).

Roku's (players) dont decode DD+ (or any Dolby), unless its the 4640 or 4800 (most models are passthrough-only).

The 4670 is a Dolby passthrough device, so AAC gets decoded to PCM for output, and DD+ gets passed through for output.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Roku's (players) dont pass AAC, its decoded/transcoded to PCM or Dolby, depending on the device/settings (as per the article).

Roku's (players) dont decode DD+ (or any Dolby), unless its the 4640 or 4800 (most models are passthrough-only).

The 4670 is a Dolby passthrough device, so AAC gets decoded to PCM for output, and DD+ gets passed through for output.
Thanks (y)

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Roku App Wednesday Updates:

NetFlix (5.0.98021420 - non-4K models), Hulu (6.43.2), NBCUniversal apps (7.19.1)

Test & verify...

NOTE: Hulu now supports playback audio/video quality info/tags (HD/4K/5.1/etc)

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
I just got an Ultra.

How do I access Dolby AC-4 and Volume Leveling (which I presume is dynamic range compression), as I want to turn off all of that processing.

I may be misremembering the names, as I only saw them momentarily before having a setup glitch and had to start over.

Somehow during initial setup I got into that part of the menu, maybe by pressing the * key, but that doesn't get me there now.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Dolby AC-4 is a codec, not a processing system. There are no controls for it. Volume leveling is accessed with the * button, but I believe something must actually be playing for the settings to be available. Not all devices have the same audio processing functions, and I don't recall what the 4800 has. But if you reset to default setup, it should be disabled by default. I didn't have to turn it off on mine.

Reactions: noah katz

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Slow motion/Fast motion --
Is there a way with any Roku model to stream in slow (or fast) motion. We could years ago w. VHS.
Or with any other device?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Slow motion/Fast motion --
Is there a way with any Roku model to stream in slow (or fast) motion. We could years ago w. VHS.
Or with any other device?
Stream local content over LAN? Possibly. Streaming from online services? Probably not.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I've seen a few sites that offer speed control when using their web player, but that's a distinct minority and I've never seen that function within any external player.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Hey all, I was wanting to check to see if ARC, and optical are the same quality when it comes to being able to get Multi Channel PCM, or Dolby Plus? I bought a new Sound bar for the living room 4k Setup, and while the sound is good, I thought i was going to be getting some upgrades, and it turned out to be a couple downgrades, because I miss read thinking it hat ATMOS support, and it only has a single HDMI connection labeled as HDMI-ARC, and an optical input. I've been using optical as I usually do on that setup, and the streamers, Roku, Apple TV, etc work fine, but when trying the blu-ray player with the second HDMI out to the sound bar I got no audio, thinking it only works in ARC mode, which brings me to the question, would ARC give me anymore than optical ? If I use ARC, then I would be taking away one of the enhanced ports for [email protected], which is fine if i put the device that actually needs it on that port such as the Roku, as it's the only thing that seems to have issues with HDR on non enhanced ports.

Any thoughts? thanks.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Hey all, I was wanting to check to see if ARC, and optical are the same quality when it comes to being able to get Multi Channel PCM, or Dolby Plus? I bought a new Sound bar for the living room 4k Setup, and while the sound is good, I thought i was going to be getting some upgrades, and it turned out to be a couple downgrades, because I miss read thinking it hat ATMOS support, and it only has a single HDMI connection labeled as HDMI-ARC, and an optical input. I've been using optical as I usually do on that setup, and the streamers, Roku, Apple TV, etc work fine, but when trying the blu-ray player with the second HDMI out to the sound bar I got no audio, thinking it only works in ARC mode, which brings me to the question, would ARC give me anymore than optical ? If I use ARC, then I would be taking away one of the enhanced ports for [email protected], which is fine if i put the device that actually needs it on that port such as the Roku, as it's the only thing that seems to have issues with HDR on non enhanced ports.

Any thoughts? thanks.
Depends on the specific implementation of each device (TV+soundbar), but in general ARC supports Multichannel PCM and DD+, whereas Optical supports neither.

If you dont think either MPCM or DD+ would be any benefit to you, or if the ARC negotiation results in neither, then you might stick with Optical.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Depends on the specific implementation of each device (TV+soundbar), but in general ARC supports Multichannel PCM and DD+, whereas Optical supports neither.

If you dont think either MPCM or DD+ would be any benefit to you, or if the ARC negotiation results in neither, then you might stick with Optical.
I'll try some content with DD+, I have a 2016 sony Tv and it has options in it's audio settings on how to send Dolby plus, either Dolby Plus, or Dolby digital. So maybe it can over ARC. I haven't used ARC much with the TV because of the limited number of enhanced ports, and the ARC oort being one of them. Since most of my HDR content is 24fps, I can get buy with Having the Roku on the available enhanced port. This new sound bar doesn't seem to work with the Smartcast app, or i could see what it's receiving, but it does have built in text to speech so maybe the info function will tell me. Will let you know what I find out from trying different content and devices.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
just a quick update, after trying several sources: the best I could get via ARC was the same as optical. So, I went back to the optical connection to get my other enhanced HDMI port back for Video.

By the way, I got a firmware update on both my 4660, and 4800 yesterday Version 10.0.0 build 41205, ( or similar) the exact number slips me. I remember the 205 part.

16281 - 16300 of 16377 Posts