AVS Forum banner

22221 - 22240 of 45247 Posts

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
It does indeed; if the depth and width are the same it becomes a bigger problem. However, modes can still (largely) be overcome even in that situation. For example, corner-loading one sub and then having another mid-wall on the opposite side of the room might do the trick in some cases. Placement is key though. It's why I laugh when people say dual subs are always better than a single unit. That's not true if you can't place them properly.
+1
Dual sub only helps if one has the freedom of space to place the subs at the right positions. Else, it only make thing worse.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Yes, I have a Denon X4000 so it comes with SubEQ.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm leaning towards getting a 2nd subwoofer and using both of them. I really don't have option to place an LV12R near-field. There is room on the other side of the couch, however, and I'm thinking that might be a good spot. So now it's between another LV12R or something larger to run in a dual sub setup. The FV15HP will give me more output; however, I'm not sure if I'll be able to take advantage of that output. Is deeper extension really that noticeable in most content?
The leap from the LV12R to the FV15HP is huge. If I recall Brian said it takes roughly 3 LV12R's to match the output of a single FV15HP 20hz and up. I came from dual LV12R's in an open living room roughly 5,000 cu ft. Don't get me wrong they performed well, but I was blown away by the increase in output and extension a single FV gave me. I eventually saved up and purchased another. The deeper extension is definitely noticeable. Also, it happens to be quite convenient that Rythmik is local to me. :D

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
The leap from the LV12R to the FV15HP is huge. If I recall Brian said it takes roughly 3 LV12R's to match the output of a single FV15HP 20hz and up. I came from dual LV12R's in an open living room roughly 5,000 cu ft. Don't get me wrong they performed well, but I was blown away by the increase in output and extension a single FV gave me. I eventually saved up and purchased another. The deeper extension is definitely noticeable. Also, it happens to be quite convenient that Rythmik is local to me. :D

How would that output difference matter at moderate listening levels? It's not like the LV12R doesn't have a flat FR in it's operating range. Also, room size determines how much output you need.

Extension could matter; depends on several factors though (involving content and listening habits and placement/setup/calibration). How exactly do you notice the deeper extension? does it sound deeper or is it merely the tactile/rumble effect?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yeah that doesn't surprise me in your room - it's huge. Mine is less than half the size of yours. I'm still considering the ported FV15HP due to wanting to use both subwoofers (and not wanting to integrate a sealed subwoofer with a ported one) and having lower extension. Placement options are limited though. One will be corner loaded and one will be next to a couch, which would be closer to the other corner at the front of the room. Does anyone see any issues with this?

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Yeah that doesn't surprise me in your room - it's huge. Mine is less than half the size of yours. I'm still considering the ported FV15HP due to wanting to use both subwoofers (and not wanting to integrate a sealed subwoofer with a ported one) and having lower extension. Placement options are limited though. One will be corner loaded and one will be next to a couch, which would be closer to the other corner at the front of the room. Does anyone see any issues with this?
If your room is half the size of mine I would pick up another LV12R. When I got my second FV it made a huge difference in seat to seat excitement throughout the room.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
How would that output difference matter at moderate listening levels? It's not like the LV12R doesn't have a flat FR in it's operating range. Also, room size determines how much output you need.

Extension could matter; depends on several factors though (involving content and listening habits and placement/setup/calibration). How exactly do you notice the deeper extension? does it sound deeper or is it merely the tactile/rumble effect?
Well in my case my room is big and open, so I wanted more output on tap and deeper extension. I typically listen to content around -15 to -10. As far as how the deeper extension is perceived I'd say that most of the time it's felt, but once it gets to a certain point you just see the driver flapping like crazy, but get no sensation.

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
Well in my case my room is big and open, so I wanted more output on tap and deeper extension. I typically listen to content around -15 to -10. A lot of the deeper extension is felt, but once it gets to a certain point you just see the driver flapping like crazy, but get no sensation.
In your case, it definitely makes sense (large room and loud listening levels). Though I wonder if the F15HP or 2 would be the better choice if extension is the priority. (Especially below the ports' tuning point.)

Do you leave the rumble filter off? And what extension and damping settings do you prefer for listening to movies loud like Mad Max? Do you use one or 2 ports open? Just curious.

·
Registered
475 Posts
If your room is half the size of mine I would pick up another LV12R. When I got my second FV it made a huge difference in seat to seat excitement throughout the room.
That's the way I'm leaning right now - a 2nd LV12R - it would be a lot cheaper too. But the extra extension of an FV15HP does have me wondering "what if"

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
In your case, it definitely makes sense (large room and loud listening levels). Though I wonder if the F15HP or 2 would be the better choice if extension is the priority. (Especially below the ports' tuning point.)

Do you leave the rumble filter off? And what extension and damping settings do you prefer for listening to movies loud like Mad Max? Do you use one or 2 ports open? Just curious.
Due to the size of my room and listening habits I don't think I would get the same experience with dual F15HP's.

Off/14hz/mid-dampening/1 port plugged

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
It's a few Hz below 20 Hz so I really doubt you'd notice. Room gain will probably provide as much or more, and you'll have smoother response. If you have the extra money and space now, going for the 15" makes sense if you may move to a larger space later. If not, and you still have the extra money, I will most unselfishly volunteer to accept the extra money to spare you the temptation. :)

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
That's the way I'm leaning right now - a 2nd LV12R - it would be a lot cheaper too. But the extra extension of an FV15HP does have me wondering "what if"
Ah the infamous "what if" don't worry your not alone. :cool:

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
I currently have an L22 and have measured two room nodes (or, at least, major dips), one around 41Hz and another around 50Hz. Would adding a second sub eliminate the room nodes? Or are room nodes inherent to the room dimensions and can't be nullified?
If you have a closed, rectangular room, check out the REW room simulator (free) to check out the impact of placement and multiple subs.

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
The New LVX12 is in stock and ready to ship. We have four units in stock and more coming by mid January. Pictures and specifications are up in our website already. Introductory price is $799 shipped.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/LVX12.html

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
Cool, congrats!

Although, IMO, you are going to be spending more time trying to explain the differences among all the various models to potential (and existing) customers. You might want to consider adding a page with a comparison table (more than the little chart of max output). It takes some time (or maybe I'm just slow) to figure out what distinguishes the various models from one another by wading through all the product pages.

Suggested columns off-the-cuff:
Model - Driver size - Vented/Sealed - Max Output @ 20 Hz - Max (min) LF corner - Amp Model - - Size - Weight - Comments (e.g. paper/Al cones)

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Enrico or Brian, how does the new lvx12 compare to the lv12r or fv15hp output wise? You know this question will be asked. Thanks.

By the way, when are the FV18 and FV25 available? Very soon?

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
Cool, congrats!

Although, IMO, you are going to be spending more time trying to explain the differences among all the various models to potential (and existing) customers. You might want to consider adding a page with a comparison table (more than the little chart of max output). It takes some time (or maybe I'm just slow) to figure out what distinguishes the various models from one another by wading through all the product pages.

Suggested columns off-the-cuff:
Model - Driver size - Vented/Sealed - Max Output @ 20 Hz - Max (min) LF corner - Amp Model - - Size - Weight - Comments (e.g. paper/Al cones)
Yes, I'm working on this. Next week I will update the Subwoofer Comparison Chart and will add all models to date :D

Reactions: sevenz

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
Enrico or Brian, how does the new lvx12 compare to the lv12r or fv15hp output wise? You know this question will be asked. Thanks.

By the way, when are the FV18 and FV25 available? Very soon?
LVX12 is +4dB compared to F12 baseline so output wise is at same level as F15HP and L22. Also LVX12 is tuned to 14Hz in one port mode and 20Hz in two ports mode.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dual L22's or F12's for music-priority Sierra Tower-based system?

Newbie to the forum!

With respect to musicality/SQ which would be better, dual L22's or F12's?

Background: Music 80%, HT 20%. Room size is 1700 cu ft, with openings to another 1800 cu ft. Sub budget: $1000-1600. System will include (on order) Ascent RAAL towers/Sierra-2 center. Receiver: Marantz SR7009.

My first thought was dual L12's. Due to room size (3500 cu ft incl. adjacent rooms) I began leaning toward the F12's with greater output, and PEQ.

I spoke with Enrico at Rythmik. He suggested the L22's due to higher output, and because the F12's PEQ is superfluous since the SR7009 has Audyssey multieq-xt32 to handle the sub's eq.

Thanks,
Steve

22221 - 22240 of 45247 Posts