AVS Forum banner

24441 - 24460 of 45217 Posts

·
Bass and Hi-Fi Enthusiast
3,173 Posts
The UPS guy delivered my FV15HP yesterday at 9am. Man I could not concentrate on work at all knowing that it was sitting right there waiting for me to play with it. I came home from work to a gigantic box blocking my front door. I had to use a hand truck plus some help from the wife to move it into the house. I probably would have killed my back if I had to move and unpack it alone. Seriously, the FV15HP is huge and heavy. Yes, one can read the specs and imagine the size of this thing but seeing it in person. Trust me. I attached a couple pics showing the size difference between an Onkyo HTIB sub. It is comical.

I hooked it up and didn’t run audyssey at all, just bumped up the subwoofer level a bit. I rewatched some scenes from Avengers Age of Ultron and 300. OMG! I was hearing bass that I have never heard before. A few seconds right before the scene in the movie 300 when the executioner is chopping off King Xerxes general’s head off the bass hit so hard the whole house shook. That brought the biggest sh!t eating grin to my face. The wife immediately said “we don’t need another sub do we?!” “We do honey! Yes we do!” was my reply.

I’m a complete noob when it comes to this audio stuff but I know what sounds good to my ears. The bass from that Onkyo HTIB sub is what many consider as boomy. It seems like the bass was random at times if that makes sense. With the FV15HP, it feels and sounds like you only hear the bass when you are supposed to. I now understand what articulate bass means.

I’m still waiting on the RX-A3060 receiver I ordered off of Amazon so I can finally get everything set up properly. I foresee another FV15HP in my future even though one seems to do the job for our 6600 ft^3 room.

Thanks to all the forum members who helped me make my decision and thanks to Enrico for shipping it early. My first real sub and I’m really happy. Please pardon the spelling/grammar. I’m high off bass right now. :D

That's awesome! I'll have to pop the 300 blueray in one of these days! I had a moment like that during inception when it was just a bass part. The LV12R literally felt like it was compressing the air in the room with sound waves. My head felt shrunken haha.

·
Registered
905 Posts
The UPS guy delivered my FV15HP yesterday at 9am. Man I could not concentrate on work at all knowing that it was sitting right there waiting for me to play with it. I came home from work to a gigantic box blocking my front door. I had to use a hand truck plus some help from the wife to move it into the house. I probably would have killed my back if I had to move and unpack it alone. Seriously, the FV15HP is huge and heavy. Yes, one can read the specs and imagine the size of this thing but seeing it in person. Trust me. I attached a couple pics showing the size difference between an Onkyo HTIB sub. It is comical.

I hooked it up and didn’t run audyssey at all, just bumped up the subwoofer level a bit. I rewatched some scenes from Avengers Age of Ultron and 300. OMG! I was hearing bass that I have never heard before. A few seconds right before the scene in the movie 300 when the executioner is chopping off King Xerxes general’s head off the bass hit so hard the whole house shook. That brought the biggest sh!t eating grin to my face. The wife immediately said “we don’t need another sub do we?!” “We do honey! Yes we do!” was my reply.

I’m a complete noob when it comes to this audio stuff but I know what sounds good to my ears. The bass from that Onkyo HTIB sub is what many consider as boomy. It seems like the bass was random at times if that makes sense. With the FV15HP, it feels and sounds like you only hear the bass when you are supposed to. I now understand what articulate bass means.
I’m still waiting on the RX-A3060 receiver I ordered off of Amazon so I can finally get everything set up properly. I foresee another FV15HP in my future even though one seems to do the job for our 6600 ft^3 room.

Thanks to all the forum members who helped me make my decision and thanks to Enrico for shipping it early. My first real sub and I’m really happy. Please pardon the spelling/grammar. I’m high off bass right now. :D
Congrats on the sub. Glad you are happy with your purchase. Hope I can get mine where I want it or I will be getting the FV15

·
Registered
12,362 Posts

I hooked it up and didn?t run audyssey at all, just bumped up the subwoofer level a bit. I rewatched some scenes from Avengers Age of Ultron and 300. OMG! I was hearing bass that I have never heard before. A few seconds right before the scene in the movie 300 when the executioner is chopping off King Xerxes general?s head off the bass hit so hard the whole house shook. That brought the biggest sh!t eating grin to my face. The wife immediately said ?we don?t need another sub do we?!? ?We do honey! Yes we do!? was my reply.

I?m a complete noob when it comes to this audio stuff but I know what sounds good to my ears. The bass from that Onkyo HTIB sub is what many consider as boomy. It seems like the bass was random at times if that makes sense. With the FV15HP, it feels and sounds like you only hear the bass when you are supposed to. I now understand what articulate bass means.
I?m still waiting on the RX-A3060 receiver I ordered off of Amazon so I can finally get everything set up properly. I foresee another FV15HP in my future even though one seems to do the job for our 6600 ft^3 room.

Thanks to all the forum members who helped me make my decision and thanks to Enrico for shipping it early. My first real sub and I?m really happy. Please pardon the spelling/grammar. I?m high off bass right now.
Congrats on the sub. Glad you are happy with your purchase. Hope I can get mine where I want it or I will be getting the FV15
I think you will, just don't give up and also give your ears/brain a chance to get used the very different sound quality.

·
Registered
12,362 Posts

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Anyway to get rid of some of that muddy boomyness I get from time to time using LFE?
The best bet is to download REW (free) and pick up a measurement mik, like a UMIK-1, so you can see what's going on.

You can accomplish a lot with placement and settings adjustments, but it usually takes EQ to get your ideal response.

Edit: Ooops...I just read up higher, and other people already suggested this.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
what kind of spl are you getting? and what level do you want? my 15hp is almost 3x as loud as my very expensive but old velodyne hgs 12.

·
Registered
905 Posts
what kind of spl are you getting? and what level do you want? my 15hp is almost 3x as loud as my very expensive but old velodyne hgs 12.
I do not have a meter. I have a guy coming over tomorrow to help out with setting it up. If I cannot get it to where I would like I will return it. I know I like to feel the bass. I dont know exact levels or anything.

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
I already talked to him over the phone and gave some advise on how to setup Aydyssey. He has a Denon X4200 which is a good receiver. His room is only 1200 cu ft and when he adjusted the level on the subwoofer before calibration he set it up at 10 o'clock per Audyssey instructions (75dB) so he has for sure a lot of headroom to work with. I told him to skip that part and set the subwoofer volume at 79dB so after Audyssey is done he will get a negative value (around -10dB ideal) on the subwoofer so he can increase the subwoofer level by +6dB and run it hot. He also needs to change the crossover for the front speakers and center from 60Hz to 80Hz. He is going to do that tomorrow morning and will report back.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
try putting the sub as close to where you sit as possible and give it a test. I sit around 12 feet away from my subs and I dont get the chest thump until 110db+ around 40hz and higher. I also dont have a small room(open floorplan) so I probably will never have the bass I would really want.

I think their is a lfe setting also, believe mine is 120

lots of good support from this company...just give it a chance

Reactions: PlasmaPZ80U

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
I do not have a meter. I have a guy coming over tomorrow to help out with setting it up. If I cannot get it to where I would like I will return it. I know I like to feel the bass. I dont know exact levels or anything.
Right now Audyssey set the levels at 75dB for everything and those levels are very conservative for most of us bass heads. I have all my four subwoofers +7dB to +8dB hot and I love them. You have to set speakers levels at 75dB and subwoofer level around 82dB to get that feeling you are looking for. But be aware that during movies with heavy bass content those levels can go up to 90dB or even more.... :eek:

Reactions: PlasmaPZ80U

·
Registered
905 Posts
Right now Audyssey set the levels at 75dB for everything and those levels are very conservative for most of us bass heads. I have all my four subwoofers +7dB to +8dB hot and I love them. You have to set speakers levels at 75dB and subwoofer level around 82dB to get that feeling you are looking for. But be aware that during movies with heavy bass content those levels can go up to 90dB or even more.... :eek:
perfect. Cannot wait until after I get off work in the morning and I can reset everything.

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
Another trick to improve bass performance is turning Dynamic EQ ON and set the offset level at 0dB for movies and 10dB for music... Not too many people like Dynamic EQ but I love it. I know you are going to like Dynamic EQ because you watch movies around -20dB which is what I do as well.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Another trick to improve bass performance is turning Dynamic EQ ON and set the offset level at 0dB for movies and 10dB for music... Not too many people like Dynamic EQ but I love it. I know you are going to like Dynamic EQ because you watch movies around -20dB which is what I do as well.
I think they Dynamic EQ is what I had set at +3 DB. I should return that back to 0?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Looking forward to hearing it. Will bring my gear over tomorrow and run some sweeps and help get it dialed in.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I think they Dynamic EQ is what I had set at +3 DB. I should return that back to 0?
Dynamic EQ is usually either On or Off, no adjustments available (other than RLO).

Couple of other settings to make note of:
Dynamic Volume should normally be set to Off.
LFC (Low Frequency Containment) should normally be set to Off.

The guide linked in my signature below, may be of help.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Dynamic EQ is usually either On or Off, no adjustments available (other than RLO).

Couple of other settings to make note of:
Dynamic Volume should normally be set to Off.
LFC (Low Frequency Containment) should normally be set to Off.

The guide linked in my signature below, may be of help.
Thank You, I will check it out

·
Registered
18,018 Posts
Sometimes it takes a little effort and understanding. Hopefully your guy can provide that.

·
Bass and Hi-Fi Enthusiast
3,173 Posts

Try about 56 minutes into the dark knight (I believe it's 56 min). It's the scene where he has a gun shooting some bricks in the fluorescent ceiling room. Turn it up. If you don't feel that, I'd be surprised.

24441 - 24460 of 45217 Posts