AVS Forum banner

28661 - 28680 of 45203 Posts

·
Registered
12,721 Posts
For room size, I would generally go with as big as I can and work around any issues. I designed my media room with all prime dimensions, then we added a bedroom that chopped out about a third of it, and made the dimensions gnarly. I got four subs, problem solved. :) As for room dimensions, few of us have a lot of flexibility in that. The best dimensions to reduce modes are those that have no multiples (divisors) in common like prime or "Golden" ratios (Google). But we work with what we have...

For tactile response, a sub in near-field works very well, but in that room to even out the overall response plus get a big honkin' tactile kick I would go with the three subs and place one near-field as said above, but two at the sides may work out as well. You could start with two FV18's and add a third later if needed. If you are building a room, I do suggest using Kinetics IsoMax clips or similar techniques to float the walls and ceiling (and floor if not on the bottom floor with concrete) to isolate the HT room, and use a minisplit unit to isolate it from the rest of the house HVAC system.

HTH - Don

Reactions: sherr127

·
Registered
21,193 Posts
Where are the unbox pictures?
UPS is scheduled to deliver my FV18s between Noon and 4:00 PM this afternoon. I have a local moving company scheduled to come tomorrow at 11:00 AM to move them in from my garage, unbox them, and put them in the approximate locations where I expect to leave them. I am also having the movers move my old Hsu VTF-3 MK3 Turbo to the garage. My son in law found a good home for it with a friend of his.

Will take FV18 unboxing pics if I have time, but as I will be paying the movers by the hour, it might not happen. Whether I get unboxing pics done or not, I will definitely post pics of my FV18s after I have installed them. Can hardly wait!

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
It is a good size but your dimension is not so good for sound. 16x23x9 would be a much better room dimension.
What difference is that 1' really going to make?
If i'm going for dual fv25,i will place it in the middle of front wall(behind AT screen) and middle back wall and will move it towards mlp until i get the best tactile feel.

If i'm going for triple fv18,2 at each front corner and 1 nearfield.Any suggestion?
That would be my approach.
Hi Marc,thanks for your time..

The 1st picture is what i did now with my dual pb13u(will sell it soon) in a sealed room size 11' x 15' x 9.5' height.

My new ht room will be only 1 row of seat and i only care about the tactile feel at the main seating so i think dual fv25 will do the job,right?
Yes, I think they will be awesome. Another user recently used that setup with two F25s and loved it. The dual FV25s should be like having 4 F25s in the movie dept!

As Don wrote, if the room is on a concrete slab either put your seating on a riser (great opportunity to install Buttkicker or Earthquake Tactile Tranducers into the platform) or float the whole floor on wood. This is outside of my room (builder's decision :) ), floor floated 6".

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
What difference is that 1' really going to make?
It reduces frequency modes with the 16x23x9 dimension. When I built my theater more than a decade ago and after some research, having room dimension that is multiple/divisible by a number is to avoid.
I suggest the op to visit the 'dedicated theater design & construction' forum here to get idea and suggestions.

·
Registered
21,193 Posts
@gwsat I thought the delivery was going to be yesterday. No?
That was an understandable mistake. My FV18s were scheduled to arrive at the UPS Tulsa terminal yesterday and they did. I opted to sign for the delivery, though, so UPS called me yesterday to schedule the time of delivery so I could be here to sign.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
It reduces frequency modes with the 16x23x9 dimension. When I built my theater more than a decade ago and after some research, having room dimension that is multiple/divisible by a number is to avoid.
I suggest the op to visit the 'dedicated theater design & construction' forum here to get idea and suggestions.
Got it. What are your room's dimensions? Are you getting an itch for a FV18 maybe?

Mine is 14½'x24½'x8½'. You'd think the builder did that with sound in mind except both sides are covered in glass with huge windows and french doors!

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
That was an understandable mistake. My FV18s were scheduled to arrive at the UPS Tulsa terminal yesterday and they did. I opted to sign for the delivery, though, so UPS called me yesterday to schedule the time of delivery so I could be here to sign.
If I leave now, I can be there in 20 hours.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Thought you were busy writing up a 10 page review on your experience with your new babies! :laugh:

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
Got it. What are your room's dimensions? Are you getting an itch for a FV18 maybe?

Mine is 14½'x24½'x8½'. You'd think the builder did that with sound in mind except both sides are covered in glass with huge windows and french doors!
I sold that house where I had my theater built. My current theater is 14x19x9' and it was built by the previous owner. Not having an itch to upgrade now cuz I am happy with the bass in my room but if I do, I want the FV25, 2 of them to be exact:)
Your room seems to be a game room rather than a theater room. A theater room has no window ;)

·
Registered
21,193 Posts
If I leave now, I can be there in 20 hours.
Perfect! you can make the connection for him and I'll stay home :D
This is good timing. I can report to both posters to the thread in general and TulsaCoker in particular because he has skin in this game. Just heard from the UPS delivery guy and he told me he would be here at about 2:00 PM. Have made arrangements with him to leave the FV18 boxes in my garage.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
This is good timing. I can report to both posters to the thread in general and TulsaCoker in particular because he has skin in this game. Just heard from the UPS delivery guy and he told me he would be here at about 2:00 PM. Have made arrangements with him to leave the FV18 boxes in my garage.
well take a picture with your phone for all here to see

Reactions: gwsat

·
Registered
12,721 Posts
I have a sister in OK so I can save both Marc and TulsaCoker the trouble. I even have a hand truck so can move them out of the garage for you, no problem. Straight into my truck for the trip home, that is...

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
I sold that house where I had my theater built. My current theater is 14x19x9' and it was built by the previous owner. Not having an itch to upgrade now cuz I am happy with the bass in my room but if I do, I want the FV25, 2 of them to be exact:)
Your room seems to be a game room rather than a theater room. A theater room has no window ;)
Yep, I think you are right. I was disappointed that I couldn't fit a pool table and HT. My wife wanted me to get a mini table but I just settled for a poker table to play cards and mostly dominoes.

There's a perfect space for a pool table downstairs (right near the front door across from dining room - open concept) but my wife chose living room w/Piano instead. :(

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
Just curious, would it be beneficial to make the screen wall narrower than the rear wall so the room has a bit of a wedge shape? And slope the ceiling down a bit? :confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
^^ it could be beneficial with no parallel walls, I just don't know. There are lots of great information in the theater build forum here and I am sure those guys have all the DO's and DON'T's.

·
Registered
21,193 Posts
Here is a photo of the boxes my hulking FV18s were shipped in. Needless to say, I'm happy that I have hired movers to do the heavy lifting.

Attachments

·
Bass and Hi-Fi Enthusiast
3,172 Posts
Here is a photo of the boxes my hulking FV18s were shipped in. Needless to say, I'm happy that I have hired movers to do the heavy lifting.
I have some serious envy right now :D

Reactions: gwsat
28661 - 28680 of 45203 Posts