AVS Forum banner

28701 - 28720 of 45059 Posts

·
Bass and Hi-Fi Enthusiast
3,167 Posts
Great!! If you have questions during setup do not hesitate to call Brian @ 512-565-3712 :) He would be glad to help you with any integration issue that could arise during setup.
Besides the subwoofer itself, this is why I'm totally a fan of you guys. Incredible customer service.

Reactions: gwsat

·
Registered
21,187 Posts
Great!! If you have questions during setup do not hesitate to call Brian @ 512-565-3712 :) He would be glad to help you with any integration issue that could arise during setup.
Enrico -- Thanks. I plan to ask you about suggested initial settings of the subwoofer controls but will wait until I have a look at them before I do. I plan to use my Yamaha RX-V3060's YPAO utility to EQ and integrate them with my other speakers and see how I like the result. If YPAO's EQing of my old Hsu was any guide, I'm sure I'm going to want to crank up the FV18s by 5dB, at least. Later I'll get into using my UMIK-1 and REW to fine tune them but I want to stretch their legs first.

Well now, that gives me something to look forward to... :)
Jim -- I am awaiting your review of the FV18 with bated breath. Speaking of reviews, I watched the Youtube video Z somebody did of the FXV15. The guy was entertaining but his review wasn't very substantive, to say the least. I will say, though that his complimentary attitude about Rythmik generally was reassuring.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,684 Posts
Jim -- I am awaiting your review of the FV18 with bated breath. Speaking of reviews, I watched the Youtube video Z somebody did of the FXV15. The guy was entertaining but his review wasn't very substantive, to say the least. I will say, though that his complimentary attitude about Rythmik generally was reassuring.
Rythmik is highly regarded in this industry, so you chose wisely from that perspective. I won't know what the FV18 can/can't do until I get my hands on one, but you can rest assured the engineering will be right. I've followed your journey, both here and in the JTR thread, so I have a good understanding of your situation. You narrowed your search to two of the best, that's for sure.

Reactions: citsur86 and gwsat

·
Registered
21,187 Posts
Rythmik is highly regarded in this industry, so you chose wisely from that perspective. I won't know what the FV18 can/can't do until I get my hands on one, but you can rest assured the engineering will be right. I've followed your journey, both here and in the JTR thread, so I have a good understanding of your situation. You narrowed your search to two of the best, that's for sure.
Yeah, the intense study I have put in over the course of the last month about high capacity subwoofers Has given me pretty high confidence that the Rythmik FV18s will be in my "sweet spot."

As you know from my posts to the JTR thread, I think highly of their products and Jeff Permanian too. Unfortunately, at the end of the day I decided that the 4000ULF, one of which I coveted, created more potential problems for me than I was willing to deal with. JTR's 1400s would no doubt have been a good choice for me too but the FV18s I bought saved me several hundred dollars and I was willing to bet that they would at least come close to matching the 1400s' performance. I'll know more after you wring out the FV18 you are receiving for testing but still decided to take a chance and be "the first kid on my block" to get a pair of them.

·
Registered
14,072 Posts
Yeah, the intense study I have put in over the course of the last month about high capacity subwoofers Has given me pretty high confidence that the Rythmik FV18s will be in my "sweet spot."

As you know from my posts to the JTR thread, I think highly of their products and Jeff Permanian too. Unfortunately, at the end of the day I decided that the 4000ULF, one of which I coveted, created more potential problems for me than I was willing to deal with. JTR's 2400s would no doubt have been a good choice for me too but the FV18s I bought saved me several hundred dollars and I was willing to bet that they would at least come close to matching the 1400s' performance. I'll know more after you wring out the FV18 you are receiving for testing but still decided to take a chance and be "the first kid on my block" to get a pair of them.
less posting and more pics please! :)

·
3,167 Posts
...but still decided to take a chance and be "the first kid on my block" to get a pair of them.

In this case your block is the whole world! Haha

·
Registered
21,187 Posts
less posting and more pics please! :)
Will do when there's something to photograph. The movers aren't here yet so my FV18s are still on their pallets in my garage, just as shown in the pic I posted yesterday.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Will do when there's something to photograph. The movers aren't here yet so my FV18s are still on their pallets in my garage, just as shown in the pic I posted yesterday.
well you got 30 minutes or I'm coming over and taking one... I know your garage code :eek:

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Whoever put your pallets in the garage....you should have paid some small cash to those guys to help put inside your room. :) At least that is what I would have done and pretty much anyone will help for cash these days.

·
Registered
21,187 Posts
Whoever put your pallets in the garage....you should have paid some small cash to those guys to help put inside your room. :) At least that is what I would have done and pretty much anyone will help for cash these days.
There was no way. This was a UPS driver. He was by himself and UPS gave him only 15 minutes to make the delivery. Even if he had had more time, there was no way he could have horsed those boxes inside by himself and I sure couldn't have helped him. That's why I needed a moving company. They know what they have to do and I am happy to pay for it.

Reactions: Matt2026

·
3,167 Posts
There was no way. This was a UPS driver. He was by himself and UPS gave him only 15 minutes to make the delivery. Even if he had had more time, there was no way he could have horsed those boxes inside by himself and I sure couldn't have helped him. That's why I needed a moving company. They know what they have to do and I am happy to pay for it.
And they're (hopefully) insured for it too!

·
Registered
21,187 Posts
OK, appended below is a photo of both hulking FV18s in place in my home theater. Have got them both to produce audio but don't really know what I'm doing yet. Have emailed Enrico for a little additional instruction. For instance, a green light is glowing on the back of the sub on the right, which replaces my old Hsu but the other one, on the left in the attached photo, has a red light on. Don't know yet whether this is a problem. Obviously I have told my Yamaha 3060 that the Sub on the right is Subwoofer 1 and the one on the left Subwoofer 2.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
OK, appended below is a photo of both hulking FV18s in place in my home theater. Have got them both to produce audio but don't really know what I'm doing yet. Have emailed Enrico for a little additional instruction. For instance, a green light is glowing on the back of the sub on the right, which replaces my old Hsu but the other one, on the left in the attached photo, has a red light on. Don't know yet whether this is a problem. Obviously I have told my Yamaha 3060 that the Sub on the right is Subwoofer 1 and the one on the left Subwoofer 2.
What are the tiny speakers to the right and left of the TV for? :)

·
3,167 Posts
Is the switch on the amp plate on both subs set to Auto, On, or Off?

Reactions: PlasmaPZ80U

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
@gwsat

Congratulations!

Can you take a few up close shots? Preferably one without the grill?

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,684 Posts
there was no way he could have horsed those boxes inside by himself
Pffft, I do it all the time. But you're a wise man to pay somebody else, because I can tell you it ain't fun sometimes. ;)

If I may offer a few suggestions based on that pic you posted... your center should be pulled out to the front edge of the shelf and angled slightly upward. Those speakers should also be moved forward about 3 feet such that their front baffle is parallel to the subs. If you reposition them be sure to re-run room EQ. I'm willing to bet the soundstage and depth will open up noticeably.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
What speakers are those? They looked absolutely dwarfed by the massive subs.

+1 to grill off pics up close

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
If I may offer a few suggestions based on that pic you posted... your center should be pulled out to the front edge of the shelf and angled slightly upward. Those speakers should also be moved forward about 3 feet such that their front baffle is parallel to the subs. If you reposition them be sure to re-run room EQ. I'm willing to bet the soundstage and depth will open up noticeably.

I recommended that a while ago in another thread and gw was not interested in the changes. I told him it should make a very noticeable improvement. Maybe he will listen to you. :)

·
Registered
21,187 Posts
What are the tiny speakers to the right and left of the TV for? :)
Yuk, yuk. Those are my Hsu HB-1 speakers. I've had them for a long time but still love them. They have 6.5 inch woofers with enough low end to convince YPAO to set them to Large. The conventional wisdom is that non sub speakers should be configured as Small with a crossover of 80Hz, though. That's what Brian recommends too, so I have done it. I agree, though, that those humongous FV18s make everything else in my HT setup look small, even my 75 inch TV.

I screwed up my amp assignments when I was trying to rerun YPAO to account for the FV18s and spent a good part of the afternoon cleaning up my mess. Anyway, its fixed now so that YPAO has been run with the correct configuration of speaker number, location, and size.

I watched a bit of Hacksaw Ridge in order to experience the naval gunfire prior to the first assault again. Wow! The LFE shook my chair and I felt it in my body. I also replayed a bit of 12 Years a Slave because it has terrific LFE. With my old Hsu, the audio sometimes sounded a little boomy but there was none of that with the FV18s. They delivered tight, accurate LFE. I couldn't be more pleased

Anyway, I'm off to a good start.

Reactions: Matt2026
28701 - 28720 of 45059 Posts