AVS Forum banner

28741 - 28760 of 45238 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Yuk, yuk. Those are my Hsu HB-1 speakers. I agree, though, that those humongous FV18s make everything else in my HT setup look small, even my 75 inch TV.

Anyway, I'm off to a good start.
Your off to a GREAT start :)

Congrats on the twin earthquake makers. Enjoying reading your impressions of them.

Agree with Brian and others on moving the fronts outward in the future and tilting of center to the center of seated ear height. Moving center just past front edge of your media stand

I would (experiment) position your fronts (with an isolator feet or pad.) on top of your subs. All the way forward, slightly past the front edge of the subs. Toed inward toward the MLP. Also, if the tweaters are not centered at seated ear height. Would elevate them so they are.

Welcome to the FAULT LINE.

Reactions: gwsat

·
Registered
21,194 Posts
After the wave of posts recommending that I change Lo damping to Hi,, I got an email from Enrico this morning making the same recommendation. As it happened, I had made the change to my FV18s on my own earlier this morning. It made what was already awe inspiring LFE even better.

So far, I couldn’t be happier with these subs. They even handled the crazy opening scene of Edge of Tomorrow with aplomb. The only downside was that the frequencies in that scene go so low, they made everything in my family room rattle. Films with more reasonable LFE, “reasonable” being a relative term, don’t set off sympathetic vibrations. As noted in an earlier post I watched Hacksaw Ridge again last night. This time I added 5dB of volume and was reminded why the film’s TrueHD Atmos soundtrack, especially its LFE, is near the top of my list of demonstration audiotracks.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Ah right - sorry that was a typo - fixed in original post for any who come after. Anyways, I'm still struggling to understand why Rythmik recommends 14Hz and Low for HT use if 14Hz and High provides the truly deepest extension which will likely only be found in movies and not in music?

I think the reason is that low damping has more ringing which can be translated to more 'full body' sound whereas high damping provide a leaner sound which might not be as good for HT?
Your extension in room probably goes down to 10hz with hi damping if you get 12hz with low.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
So far, I couldn’t be happier with these subs. They even handled the crazy opening scene of Edge of Tomorrow with aplomb.
Congrats! When you get a chance, I'd like to see a video of the driver flexing on that EoT intro scene please? Many here had seen that video of my FV15 and it was :D:D

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
@citsur86

Don't be afraid to try mid too. It is a great compromise between high and low. When I measured all 3 a few years back it dug just as deep as high, but with a little more fullness to the bass.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
when I tested low/mid/high I felt/heard differences in delay and time matching with fronts...anyone else notice this? maybe just my setup or imagination, gonna revisit. I was testing with music so I thought high would be the answer, but have been using low as I thought it sounded more aligned.

·
Registered
21,194 Posts
Congrats! When you get a chance, I'd like to see a video of the driver flexing on that EoT intro scene please? Many here had seen that video of my FV15 and it was :D:D
My son in law is coming for dinner tomorrow. We'll see what we can do about providing some photos of the FV18s sans grill covers then. The drivers no doubt do crazy things when they play the notorious opening scene in Edge of Tomorrow. Don't know who the sound editor was on that film but am pretty sure he wasn't entirely sane. Maybe it was a cosmic joke?

Reactions: citsur86

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
curious to the spl/db's that you are listening to? as I would suspect they are capable of playing lower/louder than most people ever would dare :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
OK, appended below is a photo of both hulking FV18s in place in my home theater. Have got them both to produce audio but don't really know what I'm doing yet. Have emailed Enrico for a little additional instruction. For instance, a green light is glowing on the back of the sub on the right, which replaces my old Hsu but the other one, on the left in the attached photo, has a red light on. Don't know yet whether this is a problem. Obviously I have told my Yamaha 3060 that the Sub on the right is Subwoofer 1 and the one on the left Subwoofer 2.

You definitely have to upgrade your speakers now they look so tiny! Those subs dominate your front stage..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,194 Posts
curious to the spl/db's that you are listening to? as I would suspect they are capable of playing lower/louder than most people ever would dare :)
No doubt! I ordinarily play movie soundtracks at -15dB but a few at 12.5dB. Customarily, that's as loud as I want to go but the Atmos and LFE in the Hacksaw Ridge soundtrack was so clean, I decided to bump it up to -10. I was glad I did. The FV18s easily handled all of the wonderful audio in the naval gunfire and combat scenes that had me agape.

When I have tested it, the SPL of loud peaks at -15dB is about 90dB so I assume that the -10dB volume setting bumped the SPL up to about 100dB. With rare exceptions, that's as loud as I want to go but the incredibly clean sound of the FV18s may make more venturesome. Also keep in mind that the SPL readings my Old Radio Shack SPL meter give probably understate the true SPL of very low frequencies.

Reactions: torii

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been looking at getting the FV15HP, but the FV18 at just $362 more has my interest piqued. But that weight --- wow. Is it possible to wheel this thing around safely on a dolly without damaging the sub?

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
well my 15hp can hit 115-118 spl in a very large room during movies at reference. music I dont play as loud maybe like -15 at 90db or so. so I speculate that the 18(s) probably do 120's all day long.

·
Registered
21,194 Posts
Your off to a GREAT start :)

Congrats on the twin earthquake makers. Enjoying reading your impressions of them.

Agree with Brian and others on moving the fronts outward in the future and tilting of center to the center of seated ear height. Moving center just past front edge of your media stand

I would (experiment) position your fronts (with an isolator feet or pad.) on top of your subs. All the way forward, slightly past the front edge of the subs. Toed inward toward the MLP. Also, if the tweaters are not centered at seated ear height. Would elevate them so they are.

Welcome to the FAULT LINE.
@LNEWoLF -- Thanks! Although I have been a home theater and subwoofer enthusiast for many years I long ago decided to simplify my life by judging my home theater's sound quality the same way the great old Canadian jazz pianist, Oscar Peterson, judged music: There are only two kinds, good and bad. What I have now is good indeed, the best by far I have had in my home. I have been delighted that these two FV18s could have added so much but they did it. I may undertake to experiment with speaker placement but for the moment at least, I'm going to enjoy what I have. I should add that the stands you see my front speakers on do place the tweeters at ear height.

I've been looking at getting the FV15HP, but the FV18 at just $362 more has my interest piqued. But that weight --- wow. Is it possible to wheel this thing around safely on a dolly without damaging the sub?
well my 15hp can hit 115-118 spl in a very large room during movies at reference. music I dont play as loud maybe like -15 at 90db or so. so I speculate that the 18(s) probably do 120's all day long.
I probably would have been happy with 15HPs but the newly released FV18s appeared to be exactly in my wheelhouse, big enough to enable production of extremely low frequencies at loud listening levels and reasonably priced enough to avoid giving me sticker shock. Whether I use all of their capability or not, these speakers have headroom beyond my wildest dreams. Besides, no home theater addict and bass-head is ever entirely sane.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
My son in law is coming for dinner tomorrow. We'll see what we can do about providing some photos of the FV18s sans grill covers then. The drivers no doubt do crazy things when they play the notorious opening scene in Edge of Tomorrow. Don't know who the sound editor was on that film but am pretty sure he wasn't entirely sane. Maybe it was a cosmic joke?
One thing that I found amazing about the Rythmik's was not only there SQ and extension, but physically how quickly the drivers stops! To my eyes, very different to others subs I have owned.

Take those grills off and enjoy how the drivers literally stop on a dime...you'll be amazed.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,702 Posts
Depends upon the layout and construction of the dolly, but that's one of the methods I use to move around some of the more beastly subwoofers.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
Depends upon the layout and construction of the dolly, but that's one of the methods I use to move around some of the more beastly subwoofers.

Imagine doing a sub crawl with these beasts...probably need a forklift

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: gwsat

·
Bass and Hi-Fi Enthusiast
3,174 Posts
I think the reason is that low damping has more ringing which can be translated to more 'full body' sound whereas high damping provide a leaner sound which might not be as good for HT?
Your extension in room probably goes down to 10hz with hi damping if you get 12hz with low.
That makes sense to me. The ringing may give the perception of fullness which could be translated as depth.

@citsur86

Don't be afraid to try mid too. It is a great compromise between high and low. When I measured all 3 a few years back it dug just as deep as high, but with a little more fullness to the bass.
I decided I'm going to run some measurements tonight to compare my response with and without PEQ in 14Hz, Low, Mid, and High. Thanks for the info.

No doubt! I ordinarily play movie soundtracks at -15dB but a few at 12.5dB. Customarily, that's as loud as I want to go but the Atmos and LFE in the Hacksaw Ridge soundtrack was so clean, I decided to bump it up to -10. I was glad I did. The FV18s easily handled all of the wonderful audio in the naval gunfire and combat scenes that had me agape.

When I have tested it, the SPL of loud peaks at -15dB is about 90dB so I assume that the -10dB volume setting bumped the SPL up to about 100dB. With rare exceptions, that's as loud as I want to go but the incredibly clean sound of the FV18s may make more venturesome. Also keep in mind that the SPL readings my Old Radio Shack SPL meter give probably understate the true SPL of very low frequencies.
Have you ever watched the movie Master and Commander? The movie is demo worthy for surround reproduction, but also has numerous scenes where the LFE is showcased through cannon fire. I remember reading that (at least at one point), this movie was used as a reference check for calibration engineers to "see if they got it right." I'd be very curious to hear your impressions of the initial Cannon fire scene from this movie with your dual 18s. If you haven't seen the movie, it's definitely worth a watch just for the movie itself which I found to be great!

How can one measure this? I have a single 15HP in my large room and I'd be curious to know if it is hitting 115-118 at reference.

Blankets. Lots of blankets. :)

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
I got these two for my recent moving and they worked really well. Any of those can handle any subwoofer without any problem.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EO673D2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-33800-800-Pound-Capacity-Furniture/dp/B0009H53B0/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1493400815&sr=1-2&keywords=furniture+dolly+milwaukee

·
Registered
21,194 Posts
I read a recommendation in one of these threads that a dolly of the sort shown in your second link be used to discover the best place for a sub to stand. It wouldn't have worked for me, though because in my setup the subs have to flank the front speakers.

The movers I hired to unbox and put in place my FV18s carried each sub inside my house. Even if they had used a dolly or a push truck, they would have had to lift it over a step from my garage to my utility room door. It was just easier for these two young and strong professional movers to do it by hand. Anyway, it wasn't gonna be me.

28741 - 28760 of 45238 Posts