AVS Forum banner

29001 - 29020 of 46158 Posts

·
Registered
14,222 Posts
yea, i spent a month or so tweaking positioning my velodyne subs to play nice with rhythmik...its possible, but was a pain in the ass.

thank you for comment/opinion/fact.
If you can keep the FV15 near field and want to run 1 port, I would add a FV25. If you plan to run all ports open on both then go FV15 nearfield and FV18 at the furthest point.

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
From what I understand pair of 15hp is better than one fv25. Fv18 is kinda the in between model. All 3 are awesome. Down low the fv18 might be close to fv25.

I've done this experiment before with Psa. Two xv15se was better than one Psa xv30fse. It's mostly amp power. Fv15hp 600 watt amp is way underrated. Could someone confirm power draw on fv18 and fv25 amp plate? Fv15hp is 1000 watts of power draw. Big transformer. It like my adcom power amp in a sub. Lol

I'm excited to try their new class d amps. Just wondering if it's better. Definitely cooler and more efficient.

I remember talking to Brian years ago about the Fv15hp amp. Said 600 to be very conservative. He even mentioned that he could of said it made more power than pb13ultra and it would of been true.

I'll add 2 fv25 to my 2 fv15hp I bet they'll sound very similar but I'll be tripling my output.

If I was you I'd probably add fv25. Put it upfront. Than put your Fv15hp right next to seat. Should blend well and be like having 3-4 fv15hp

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
I could fit almost anything anywhere with some relocation. I dont like the front wall idea as it would be a focal point. so I am leaning to next to my couch replacing little end table w/15hp. behind my couch, next to my beer fridge behind my mlp under bar(cant see). behind love seat, or even in kitchen nook area...basically where I feed my dog.

just thinking out loud when i used rack stand, i am guessing this where sub would go, see attached

Attachments

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
I did with my velodyne hgs 12 3 years ago lol. maybe I need to do another, its been a while. all the rew calculators say in my space closer to mlp the better.

its a big 30x50x14ft+ space with openings...hard to manage on my gpa.

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
Interesting thing how rew can't really determine the best place or orientation. I had a perfect spot for my dss 24". Ran rew. Was perfect.

Than got Rythmiks back. That spot was horrible for them. Bass wasn't much in that spot. Way the ports interact in your room.

I like front firing ports but I will say that down firing port in xv30fse was great. Sounded great anywhere you put it. Rear firing ports aren't for me. Xv15 would make wall rattle behind it. If I had to choose I'd take down firing. But I like looking at my driver and ports too.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
my velodyne hgs 12 sealed, the 1512 is 12in driver 15in pr, rhytmik 15 front ported...imo, the best sounding was the passive radiator sub by itself and its the cheapest and 20 years old...but isnt high output.

I really want a showcase huge sub that blends well with aesthetics...but I am not being overblown with options because not a huge niche.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
@Timothy1180 where are you moving from/to in Cali? SoCal? I'm sure @kyzer soze and I would love checkout your extremely capable setup (Especially once FV25s are added). You have a unique perspective in regards to focusing on the 20-60Hz octaves for your subs. I think I can tolerate your extreme >120dB LFE for some demos one afternoon.

I have 3 rooms w/5.1 or more. One capable of single digit response (sealed PSA subs). One with output down to 15Hz (ported Seatons). My bedroom system doesn't have much below 25Hz but can still rock (4 subs, 2 under the bed). We rarely ever listen above -10dB MV with subs +10dB. In all cases LFE caps out between 110-120dB.

I have found pleasure in achieving greater tactile response at lower SPL levels (utilizing nearfield placements and TTs). I do utilize D + M processors BTW, but my outboard amp sensitivities are only 0.8V & 1.0V.

What is your thought concerning the 60-120Hz? Do you let your mains deal with this octave. How do you rank its importance vs 20-60 Hz and

·
Registered
12,756 Posts
(1) If you mean star quad cables in this part of your post, then that statement isn't correct. Star quad cables aren't made up of multiple twisted pair cables; multiple conductors, but not multiple twisted pairs. There is a difference. Perhaps you are thinking of Ethernet or HDMI cables. Here are a couple good links to the details of star quad construction and demonstration of the benefits.

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/116637511-the-importance-of-star-quad-microphone-cable

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/117842759-star-quad-cable-demonstration-video

(2) Hopefully the links above, and other information that is easily obtained on the Internet will help you answer this question.

(3) It's rather obvious that the RCA male is connected to the output of a piece of equipment, the XLR male on the other end of that cable is then connected to the female end of the XLR cable. The male end of the XLR cable is then connected to the input of a piece of equipment. How else would you connect this set of cables using standard equipment? While this connection is not as good as an XLR to XLR connection, it can provide improvements in performance if only an RCA output is available.

Here is a piece (this link is included in a nearby post as well), written by Bill Whitlock of Jensen Transformers, that shows the circuitry for the XLR-RCA connection noted above. See figure 2.1. The piece also has a lot of good information on balanced connections including the use of transformers. Mr. Whitlock is an expert in this field. You can often find his presentations on YouTube.

http://www.jhbrandt.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Interconnection_of_Balanced_and-Unbalanced-Equipment.pdf
I understand their star-quad, just used terms I thought might be easier for folk to follow, sorry if you found it inaccurate. As for differential circuits, been designing them for decades, and circuits to go back and forth, but at much higher frequencies than audio. Active and passive (transformer/balun based as well as RC and LC phase shifters and such).

Thanks for the info - Don

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
FV25 is +9db over a FV15HP below 16hz and +5-6db above 20hz. FV18 is down 4-5db across the board to a FV25.
To fv15hp stacked on top each other or side by side is pretty close to fv25. I bet 2 fv15hp would win everywhere. Except maybe 12-14hz stuff.

Stacking subs is sure ugly by omg what a difference

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm building my new theater. Going to be 26x19 with 9 foot ceilings. I have (2) fv15hp's that I was planning to sale and get either some jtr 2400ulf's or 218ht's or PSA 3601's but now I'm thinking I could keep the (2) fv15hp's and place both behind my listen position and buy (2) fv25's and put up front behind the screen.. Thoughts??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
566 Posts
well.....

I have met with dealer of Rythmik China and have received a good offer for a unit here. As I am a bit of an extreme bass head I was curious if I could mix this dual sub with my other units. Im honestly not lacking bass but I guess you can call me a bass crack head and I cannot get enough...
So was wondering if anyone could advise if I can mix the FV25HP with my 3 Ultras?
My current setup is PB13 Ultra front left, PB16Ultra front right, PB13Ultra nearfield ( right side of sofa) My idea was to run the FV25HP side by side with PB16 and move another PB13 nearfield.
Is the FV25HP too powerful to be paired with my SVS trio ?

My fronts are Cerwin Vega XLS15 powered by QSC GX5, Center speaker by Dussun V6i and rest of my surround by my Onkyo 818..

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
So was wondering if anyone could advise if I can mix the FV25HP with my 3 Ultras?
My current setup is PB13 Ultra front left, PB16Ultra front right, PB13Ultra nearfield ( right side of sofa) My idea was to run the FV25HP side by side with PB16 and move another PB13 nearfield.
Is the FV25HP too powerful to be paired with my SVS trio ?

My fronts are Cerwin Vega XLS15 powered by QSC GX5, Center speaker by Dussun V6i and rest of my surround by my Onkyo 818..
You have 3 pb13s? And still want more? LOL Why not put 1 farfield and try 2 of them behind your seat firing at your back? I have dual pb13s and being nearfield they do very well. I probably wouldn't mix the rythmiks with svs since their port tune is different and harder to get set right. You are better off just adding a 4th pb13 or just go 18 inch drivers all around.

What are you looking to get out of it? Lower bass, more midbass, etc?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just want to capture this Ryhtmik setup guide information with a current post as I spent some amount of time trying to track down the source, so maybe it can benefit at least one other person like me. The guide is probably common knowledge to some but it was elusive for me.

The file is “Dialing-in Rythmik Subwoofers,” authored by user laulau. It’s an eleven page setup guide that also has the subtitle “My Generic RYTHMIK PEQ3 Subwoofer Setup Guide (YMMV).”

The link to the current version of his guide is in laulau’s signature line in post #16122 in this thread (post link below). The version date as of this post is 25 Apr 17.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/1214550-official-rythmik-audio-subwoofer-thread-538.html#post25314641

I know it's been out a while but thank you to laulau for putting in a fantastic amount of effort to collect and document this information. I also know Rythmik has their own setup guides but it’s still good to have such a comprehensive alternative like this.

I wish the forum had a better way to flag this kind of information within a thread.

·
Registered
566 Posts
You have 3 pb13s? And still want more? LOL Why not put 1 farfield and try 2 of them behind your seat firing at your back? I have dual pb13s and being nearfield they do very well. I probably wouldn't mix the rythmiks with svs since their port tune is different and harder to get set right. You are better off just adding a 4th pb13 or just go 18 inch drivers all around.

What are you looking to get out of it? Lower bass, more midbass, etc?

Haha yes. What I want to get out of it. Well best reason is I want to cause I can. I like big bass and the Rythmik have a tempting size to be honest.

I can't go 18 all around. I can't sell second hand in China. So I'll need to keep what I have.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I think a FV18 would integrate better with the Ultras being it has a 16hz native tune then the FV25's 12hz. Put the PB13's nearfield and the PB16 and FV18 furthest points respectively.

Isn't the FV18 a sealed sub ? Would be hard to match 3 ported with one sealed ??

29001 - 29020 of 46158 Posts