AVS Forum banner

29041 - 29060 of 45816 Posts

·
Registered
14,190 Posts
FV18 is 12hz as far as I know.

Something I've been wondering though;

The FV18 uses 900W RMS and the FV25 uses 1800W RMS.

A 120Vx15A breaker can handle 1800W and a 120Vx20A breaker can handle 2400W (obviously a tandem would be double that).

If I'm wanting two subs, that means I need to be able to handle 1800W RMS and 3600W RMS respectively.

How much power would the subs actually/typically pull? Do they really sit at their RMS values?
The FV18 is 16hz native, 12hz with 1 port plugged. 15 amp breaker can handle much more then that in short bursts.

I also heard of a FV18HP. No idea on specs or pricing. Anyone else heard about them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no FV18HP. The only reason there was a FV15HP is because there use to be a regular 400 watt FV15 before the FVX15 and the HP was used to discern it as being "High Power" [email protected] 600 watts very conservatively rated. It's actually more like 1000 watts.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You guys must really, really enjoy low frequencies. I have two F15HP's and a Velodyne FSR18 and all three of them require very little power to shake the house. I can't imagine wanting more low frequency, in fact I'm going to sell the Velodyne one of these days as two F15HP's is way more than enough for my large room, but this IS the Subwoofer Area so...

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
20amp line can handle an entire home theater if you dont have a huge power amp.

I ran xpa5 with a 65" plasma and two Rythmik fv15hp and all my definitive powered speakers on a 20.

When I switched to my adcom amps I gave them a dedicated 20. But my adcom has a power draw of 4500 watts.

Most people will never need that

·
Registered
78 Posts
Does anyone have pics of their FVX15 setup?

I'm looking at buying one, but I'm trying to work out if it's too big for my setup. I have a 40" TV, and 2x Def Tech BP8020ST's, so my current setup is on the smaller side.

Also, is it OK to have the sub placed facing sideways? It would stick out front-ways less, also expose the front less to small kids and animals.

Anyways, pics appriciated!
This is the exact reason that some people choose to go with a down-firing sub like a PSA 15V.

·
Bass and Hi-Fi Enthusiast
3,208 Posts
You guys must really, really enjoy low frequencies. I have two F15HP's and a Velodyne FSR18 and all three of them require very little power to shake the house. I can't imagine wanting more low frequency, in fact I'm going to sell the Velodyne one of these days as two F15HP's is way more than enough for my large room, but this IS the Subwoofer Area so...

My single FV15HP in my room is great, but it doesn't feel anywhere near as powerful as people talk about it being. Especially down low. Under 20hz, no matter the configuration, I get more port sound or driver excursion sounds than tactile rumble. I think I need someone who knows subs intimately to come over and tell me what's what since I can't tell myself. The only time I've tried to test low frequencies with test tones I was told not to do they and that the under 20hz stuff is just built into the other sound. I understand that but don't understand how some people rave about under 20hz stuff if it isn't audible on its own.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
My single FV15HP in my room is great, but it doesn't feel anywhere near as powerful as people talk about it being. Especially down low. Under 20hz, no matter the configuration, I get more port sound or driver excursion sounds than tactile rumble. I think I need someone who knows subs intimately to come over and tell me what's what since I can't tell myself. The only time I've tried to test low frequencies with test tones I was told not to do they and that the under 20hz stuff is just built into the other sound. I understand that but don't understand how some people rave about under 20hz stuff if it isn't audible on its own.

looking at the picture you posted of your room on the previous page of this thread, it's not strange to me why you don't think much of the sub. the room is simply too large for a single ported 15 driver to move enough air to really feel it. the room i have setup right now is 8x11 w/8' ceilings and it sounds amazing with a pair of these subs. my room downstairs that's nearly ready for use (waiting on carpeting) is ~14x22 w/7' ceilings and i plan on adding 2-3x the driver output.

to me, bass (real, low end stuff) is like torque in a car. you always want more.

·
Registered
14,190 Posts
I don't think you are doing anything wrong at all...just need more woofage. How large is your space again?

·
Registered
21,198 Posts
The FV18 is 16hz native, 12hz with 1 port plugged. 15 amp breaker can handle much more then that in short bursts.

There is no FV18HP. The only reason there was a FV15HP is because there use to be a regular 400 watt FV15 before the FVX15 and the HP was used to discern it as being "High Power" [email protected] 600 watts very conservatively rated. It's actually more like 1000 watts.
You said the FV18 has a tuning frequency of "16Hz native." Rythmik, though, says, "For 3 port operation, it is recommended to use 14hz mid damping and turn ON rumble filter." I haven't done that with my FV18s because using them with two ports open, a tuning frequency of 12Hz, and Damping set to HI has given me just what I want. I also have both the rumble filters and Limiters turned on.

·
Registered
14,190 Posts
You said the FV18 has a tuning frequency of "16Hz native." Rythmik, though, says, "For 3 port operation, it is recommended to use 14hz mid damping and turn ON rumble filter." I haven't done that with my FV18s because using them with two ports open, a tuning frequency of 12Hz, and Damping set to HI has given me just what I want. I also have both the rumble filters and Limiters turned on.
Recommended damping setting has nothing to do with what I said... port tune for 3 port is 16hz. Using the term Native just means the tuning point without blocking ports.

·
Registered
21,198 Posts
Recommended damping setting has nothing to do with what I said... port tune for 3 port is 16hz. Using the term Native just means the tuning point without blocking ports.
All I knew, I learned from the Rythmik FV18 Quick Setup guide but saw nothing about a native tuning frequency of 16Hz with three ports open there. As quoted in my last post, in its setup guide Rythmik recommends a tuning frequency of 14Hz be used with three ports open. Rythmik has been a bit inconsistent, though. In its spec sheet it says, “Multi-tune 16hz (3 port) and 12.5hz (2 port)," which agrees with what you said. Don't know the reason for the inconsistency but there it is.

·
Registered
50 Posts
JTR S1 VS. Rythmik 18

Question, I love my Rythmik f15hp and I am in the market to add another sub. I am going with an 18 and would like any opinions comparing JTR Captivator S1 and this new Rythmik 18.

·
Registered
14,190 Posts
All I knew, I learned from the Rythmik FV18 Quick Setup guide but saw nothing about a native tuning frequency of 16Hz with three ports open there. As quoted in my last post, in its setup guide Rythmik recommends a tuning frequency of 14Hz be used with three ports open. Rythmik has been a bit inconsistent, though. In its spec sheet it says, “Multi-tune 16hz (3 port) and 12.5hz (2 port)," which agrees with what you said. Don't know the reason for the inconsistency but there it is.

Rythmik is just recommending the 14hz mid damping mode with 3 port for best overall performance...still does not change the fact that the port tune is 16hz in 3 port, but extension can be altered electronically by changing the amps extension filter.

In short port tune and extension are not the same thing.

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
There is no fv18hp.
Given Rythmik's past history while there currently is not a FV18HP I would bet there is at least some talk about one at Rythmik's headquarters. ;)

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here is my FV15HP setup on the left side of my front left. I believe it is the same size as the FVX15 with the amp being the difference.

Thanks for that, it doesn't look too massive in your photo. You obviously have kids (great toy shelf there), do you worry about the sub getting damaged?

Did you feel like upgrading to the HP was worth it?

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,724 Posts
Question, I love my Rythmik f15hp and I am in the market to add another sub. I am going with an 18 and would like any opinions comparing JTR Captivator S1 and this new Rythmik 18.
Since Rythmik hasn't shipped a single one of them yet the opinions would be purely speculative, and as such not have any real value. You'll have to wait until there are some in the wild for meaningful comparisons.

29041 - 29060 of 45816 Posts