AVS Forum banner

29221 - 29240 of 46167 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
After playing around with Dirac for the last 4 weeks, I'm convinced that Dirac is hands down a much better room correction system than Audyssey. Now it's just a matter of finances to place the order for a brand new XMC-1. I'm done with Audyssey receivers...
Have you considered demoing an Anthem 1120 or if you can get your hands on one the Arcam AV860?

·
Registered
207 Posts
The Anti-mode can only smooth over peaks, it can't fill in nulls associated to room modes, so placement is still key to good sound regardless of the EQ system you use.
Note Anti-Mode, or any correction scheme, is not a complete panacea. In general nulls caused by room modes/boundary reflections cannot be fully compensated and most programs won't try. Boosting the level to (try to) solve a null at the MLP causes excessive bass everywhere else and potential clipping of the amp and/or driver. A room layout with dimensions would help. I would choose two subs over one. You can use them in stereo and if you ever find space you can even out the in-room response by appropriate placement. Your Paradigms are rated to 36 Hz as it is and I would expect the amplifiers to be decently isolated and designed to handle vibration.
Thanks for the expert advice. There is a part of me that wonders if my desire to own subwoofers defies common sense! My entire living space (minus the bathroom) is a 262 sqft. / 2700 cbft. studio. Since everything in my house already fits together efficiently like interlocking pieces in a jigsaw puzzle, I am limited to a single placement option when subwoofers are added to this "puzzle". I'm a little worried that I could invest nearly $2000 in GREAT Rythmik subs and Anti-Mode room equalization to achieve an extra octave of bass that -- despite my best efforts -- just doesn't sound very good in my listening space. :eek: I'll also make the (somewhat heretical) admission that I tend to be unimpressed by the LFE in many recent movies (I usually feel the impulse to decrease the sound pressure level, rather than crank it up higher). Still, I have always been curious to hear how my Classical Music / Pipe Organ CDs could be enhanced by the addition of excellent subs. I feel confident that Rythmik's servo subs would be ideal for this purpose. Are there any Classical Music lovers who could share their experiences before-and-after adding subwoofers to their audio system? I'd be glad to benefit from your perspective...

·
Registered
12,756 Posts
I listen to largely jazz and classical, some pop, etc. Tympani, anyone? 1812 cannons, natch. Piano hammers, the whole percussion section... The Doppler and tremolo effects with certain instruments (e.g. handbells, Leslie rotating speakers) are better when you can actually reproduce the LF modulations. And a lot of subharmonics occur within an orchestra, some getting fairly low. I had a pair of limited-LF (~50 Hz -3 dB) speakers decades ago, long before the HT revolution, and adding a subwoofer (servo of my own design back then) made a huge difference. Made me realize just how much LF content there is in music and how much it matters. That same period of research, discovery, and enlightenment is what led to a servo design instead of just another big woofer in a bigger box. And led me to Brian and Rythmik when I brought my system back to life, initially focused on music and not movies.

I believed over 30 years ago and still do today that a good sub is essential if you want the whole musical experience.

FWIWFM - Don

·
Registered
207 Posts
...a lot of subharmonics occur within an orchestra, some getting fairly low. Adding a subwoofer made a huge difference. Made me realize just how much LF content there is in music and how much it matters. I believed over 30 years ago and still do today that a good sub is essential if you want the whole musical experience. Don
Many thanks -- your insights are definitely encouraging, and help me realize that my lust for subwoofage isn't irrational after all (especially since there is pipe organ music containing pedal notes that have a 16 Hz fundamental tone).
I have a bit of a learning curve to master in regards to the technical adjustments available with the Rythmik L22. At present I'm still a little clueless about achieving the best settings for Crossover slope, Crossover range, Rumble Filter, Phase adjustment, and Bass damping factor, but I'm hoping to figure it out eventually (as I mentioned earlier, I'm a real novice when it comes to subs...)

·
Premium Member
6,377 Posts
Have you considered demoing an Anthem 1120 or if you can get your hands on one the Arcam AV860?
I had the Anthem AVM 60 last year for a few weeks and I wasn't impressed with the results. I did a full A/B test between ARC (AVM 60) and Dirac Live (free PC version and DDRC-88A) and I liked Dirac better.

·
Registered
21,203 Posts
I listen to largely jazz and classical, some pop, etc. Tympani, anyone? 1812 cannons, natch. Piano hammers, the whole percussion section... The Doppler and tremolo effects with certain instruments (e.g. handbells, Leslie rotating speakers) are better when you can actually reproduce the LF modulations. And a lot of subharmonics occur within an orchestra, some getting fairly low. I had a pair of limited-LF (~50 Hz -3 dB) speakers decades ago, long before the HT revolution, and adding a subwoofer (servo of my own design back then) made a huge difference. Made me realize just how much LF content there is in music and how much it matters. That same period of research, discovery, and enlightenment is what led to a servo design instead of just another big woofer in a bigger box. And led me to Brian and Rythmik when I brought my system back to life, initially focused on music and not movies.

I believed over 30 years ago and still do today that a good sub is essential if you want the whole musical experience.

FWIWFM - Don
I agree that good subs add tremendously to the enjoyment of music. One of the first disks I played after I got my FV18s setup was the La La Land UHD HDR Atmos disk. The many scenes in which there was piano with either a combo or orchestra all sounded thrilling. But it doesn't stop there. For reasons I can't explain, my new subs seem to add clarity to dialog and better directional definition to surround effects. This could be the placebo effect at work, of course, but it doesn't seem so to me.

Reactions: hhowards and serith

·
Bass and Hi-Fi Enthusiast
3,211 Posts
I agree that good subs add tremendously to the enjoyment of music. One of the first disks I played after I got my FV18s setup was the La La Land UHD HDR Atmos disk. The many scenes in which there was piano with either a combo or orchestra all sounded thrilling. But it doesn't stop there. For reasons I can't explain, my new subs seem to add clarity to dialog and better directional definition to surround effects. This could be the placebo effect at work, of course, but it doesn't seem so to me.

I didn't get the dialogue difference with my single FV15HP, but I agree that it seemed to enhance the surround effects somehow. Could be that anything under 80hz being sent to the surrounds is better expressed now

·
Registered
21,203 Posts
I didn't get the dialogue difference with my single FV15HP, but I agree that it seemed to enhance the surround effects somehow. Could be that anything under 80hz being sent to the surrounds is better expressed now
I have no idea what it was about the addition of my FV18s that has made everything sound better but it does. It's like the commercial in the early days of HDTV where the pretty country girl says, "It has 1080i (1080 ah). Ah don't know what that is but I wan' it!"

·
Registered
207 Posts
I agree that good subs add tremendously to the enjoyment of music. For reasons I can't explain, my new subs seem to add clarity to dialog and better directional definition to surround effects.
I have heard other sub owners mention this same experience as well, that the addition of a subwoofer seemed to enhance the detail and dimensionality of music. It is especially intriguing that even a SINGLE Rythmik subwoofer can have this effect.

By the way, gwsat, this leads me to ask if you are using your FV18s as a Left channel / Right channel stereo pair, and what frequency you have chosen as your crossover. I might find myself easily persuaded to follow your example (but with a pair of Rythmik L22s instead, since my budget and home space are both rather modest).

·
Registered
21,203 Posts
I have heard other sub owners mention this same experience as well, that the addition of a subwoofer seemed to enhance the detail and dimensionality of music. It is especially intriguing that even a SINGLE Rythmik subwoofer can have this effect.

By the way, gwsat, this leads me to ask if you are using your FV18s as a Left channel / Right channel stereo pair, and what frequency you have chosen as your crossover. I might find myself easily persuaded to follow your example (but with a pair of Rythmik L22s instead, since the available space in my house is very tight).
I have setup my FV18s as left and right channel both on the subs and myYamaha 3060. My crossover is set at 80Hz.

Reactions: hhowards

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
I would only recommend stereo subs for a 2ch system with crossover frequency ≥120Hz. YMMV

Mono is best for HT and 80Hz crossover.
What he said!

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Got a couple F15HP's arriving on Friday. First time running duals and first dance with Rythmik. I have a Marantz 7010 that has Audyssey MultEQ XT32. I don't have an SPL meter or REW, though I might dabble into it in the future.

For now, any tips for initially setting these up? My AVR has connections for duals and I've seen the basic tips for running through Audyssey, but if anyone has anything extra to share or could point me to a good resource I'd appreciate it. Thanks

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
have fun playing with the dials :)

Reactions: ballen420

·
Bass and Hi-Fi Enthusiast
3,211 Posts
Got a couple F15HP's arriving on Friday. First time running duals and first dance with Rythmik. I have a Marantz 7010 that has Audyssey MultEQ XT32. I don't have an SPL meter or REW, though I might dabble into it in the future.

For now, any tips for initially setting these up? My AVR has connections for duals and I've seen the basic tips for running through Audyssey, but if anyone has anything extra to share or could point me to a good resource I'd appreciate it. Thanks
My second FV15HP comes tomorrow! Can't wait to get it setup. For me, setting it up is half the fun :)

Anyways - here is the guide I use for initial setup of Rythmiks.

This was not authored by me, and you'll have to forgive me, I forget who did author it. This may also not be the most up to date version.

I highly suggest you buy a a UMIK-1 measuring microphone. If you do, this guide, authored primarily by @AustinJerry is wonderful and will walk you through, step by step, how to setup and take various measurements. If needed, you can then pickup a miniDSP 2x4 HD and create filters, using this guide, for the miniDSP 2x4 HD to even out your Frequency Response. That guide will also walk you through steps to gain match and time align your subs (among some other awesome guides for multiples)

This Rythmik thread and this thread have been invaluable in my journey to learn and apply my learnings.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I would only recommend stereo subs for a 2ch system with crossover frequency ≥120Hz. Mono is best for HT and 80Hz crossover.
I'm using four Paradigm Reference Active 40 loudspeakers in a Front Left / Front Right / Back Left / Back Right configuration, and they all have a frequency response specification of ±1dB 36Hz-20kHz. (Yes, I admit that my current 4.0 audio setup is really primitive compared to the latest 9.2.4 Atmos systems, but in the 14' x 17' studio cottage where I make my home, it is all but impossible to add more channels anywhere else in the room.) I use my audio system for both Classical Music and Movies. If I added a stereo pair of Rythmik subwoofers to my setup, would you recommend a 120Hz crossover? At approximately what bass frequency does the ear stop detecting directionality, and stereo sound-imaging can no longer be heard from a pair of subs?

·
Registered
12,756 Posts
The standard (THX) crossover is 80 Hz and that is where most people cannot localize the sub. Setting the crossover an octave, or at least half-octave, above the lower-frequency limit of your main L/R speakers is also reasonable. In your case, 80 Hz would be a good choice, and prevent localization of the sub(s) so you can place them where they work best in the room.

HTH - Don

·
Registered
523 Posts
That's exactly what I was looking for. Really appreciate it.

Have fun tomorrow!
Latest version of the guide mentioned earlier is linked in my sig below.

Reactions: ballen420
29221 - 29240 of 46167 Posts