AVS Forum banner

29281 - 29300 of 46167 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
On stereo sub signals: It is worth the reminder that the wavelength of a 100 Hz signal is 11.3 feet, at 80 Hz it is 14.1', and at 50 Hz it is 22.5'. That is one reason mixes typically mix to mono, not much separation at those frequencies in the average room.
A very salient point. I'm guessing that due to those long wavelengths, even if deep bass is recorded in stereo on a CD, SACD, or a Blu-ray disc, a pair of subwoofers placed 10' apart would not be able to create a discernable stereo "image", especially considering the limitations of the human ear at resolving the directional component of such low frequencies. I am pretty well persuaded that it just makes more sense to run dual subs in mono (even if there is a certain purist allure to the idea of supplying a stereo signal to a pair of subs, it probably isn't likely to produce real-world results...)

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
To be fair I've actually listened to them very little. Been trying to get them in good positions with good PEQ applied. Not happening so far. Wondering if I will be able to integrate both in my room successfully. I had much better response with just 1. Since I have never heard someone say that before, I feel like I must be doing something wrong.
Are you using the LFE input and letting the MiniDSP time align?

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,764 Posts
The Rythmik site seems to have all sorts of labyrinthine nooks and crannies, and I have found it to be kind of an odd maze to navigate. They're building GREAT subs, but I'd like to offer the friendly suggestion to update their site, so it's more intuitively organized, and displays their subwoofers to better advantage.
Yup, not the first time this has come up. That's what happens when you let engineers do web design. :p

Reactions: gwsat

·
Bass and Hi-Fi Enthusiast
3,213 Posts
Are you using the LFE input and letting the MiniDSP time align?
Yep I've done both. They are time aligned each place I moved them and they are both plugged into LFE. I really feel that my room is just a monster for SQ and good FR. Here is where I netted out with measurements and adjustments last night. Much more to do....

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Yep I've done both. They are time aligned each place I moved them and they are both plugged into LFE. I really feel that my room is just a monster for SQ and good FR. Here is where I netted out with measurements and adjustments last night. Much more to do....

Have you tried the placement I suggested?

·
Premium Member
12,488 Posts
Trying to refresh my memory on the PEQ600 amp setup on the FV15HP sub.

1) Running both ports open, rumble filter must be On/2
2) For most output in a Freq setting, Damping Low is the choice
3) Freq setting's, looking at charts for low damping, seem to be where the sound begins to fall off

So for a higher spl HT only setting, I assume 14/low or 20/low with two ports open is a solid idea? I initially set mine up partially with music in mind and other things (14/mid/one port open) but I only use them for cranking HT blu-ray. The manual says 28/low, but 28 seems kinda high. My room is 5000 + cuft so output is important, but I dont want to lose all the low end grunt.

TIA

·
Bass and Hi-Fi Enthusiast
3,213 Posts
Trying to refresh my memory on the PEQ600 amp setup on the FV15HP sub.

1) Running both ports open, rumble filter must be On/2
2) For most output in a Freq setting, Damping Low is the choice
3) Freq setting's, looking at charts for low damping, seem to be where the sound begins to fall off

So for a higher spl HT only setting, I assume 14/low or 20/low with two ports open is a solid idea? I initially set mine up partially with music in mind and other things (14/mid/one port open) but I only use them for cranking HT blu-ray. The manual says 28/low, but 28 seems kinda high. My room is 5000 + cuft so output is important, but I dont want to lose all the low end grunt.

TIA
Running them both in 14/low, 1 port. That was what was suggested to have them on during setup (Gain Matching, Timing, Polarity Checks, PEQ, EQ).

·
Premium Member
12,488 Posts
Running them both in 14/low, 1 port. That was what was suggested to have them on during setup (Gain Matching, Timing, Polarity Checks, PEQ, EQ).

So if you gain match, and then run something like audyssey, you just go with levels that are different in the AVR?

·
Premium Member
12,488 Posts
My problem is, XT32 has dual sub EQ. If I gain match, and then run XT32, it will set each sub's trim level in the preamp. So even if I have them gain matched, SW1 is likely to be -2 for example, and SW2 will be -5 trim once Audyssey is done. So it will level match anyways.

Not sure what to do if you gain match, and then run XT32.

I saw some post about splitting the difference.
So if you gain match and then run XT32, if SW1 is -2 and SW2 is -6, make them both -4.

·
Premium Member
12,488 Posts
Yeah but when you do that it alters the frequency response in room. Audyssey is setting the gains different between the 2 subs to help flatten the response.
I am not sure about the subs, but you can adjust trim levels on all other speakers to meet 75db if you feel they are a little off, and it does NOT affect the FR. That comes directly from Chris K at audyssey. I always level check after it runs, granted when I have to adjust the LFE channel I adjust both subs together, not separately.

·
Registered
12,756 Posts
^^^ Correct. If the subs are EQ'd independently then you need to raise their trims the same amount after running Audyssey. If one is -2 and one is -4, then to boost 3 dB the new settings would be +1 and -1. If you raise them independently then the cal and thus FR could (probably will) be off.

Reactions: bscool

·
Premium Member
12,488 Posts
^^^ Correct. If the subs are EQ'd independently then you need to raise their trims the same amount after running Audyssey. If one is -2 and one is -4, then to boost 3 dB the new settings would be +1 and -1. If you raise them independently then the cal and thus FR could (probably will) be off.
OK. So there is no good way to gain match, and then run XT32, and then fix it? Best to just run dual sub EQ and let it adjust trims as needed, unless you obviously see one sub being overdriven because of its location.

·
Registered
12,372 Posts
Sub EQ HT doesn't EQ the subs separately. It just sets the trims and delays separately for 2 subs. Audyssey XT32 is still EQ'ing the pair together.

29281 - 29300 of 46167 Posts