AVS Forum banner

29721 - 29740 of 45144 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,766 Posts
Yeah it's not ready for prime time yet. See post #29713 for a link to a detailed comparison I did last night.
Yeah, I found that interesting. Even though my receiver is too old, I've been following that thread fairly closely. My current AVR was supposed to be my last, or at least be around a long time, but then I started reading AVS. :( Even with interesting new features coming out every year now, I'm going to wait a bit.

·
Bass and Hi-Fi Enthusiast
3,167 Posts
Yeah, I found that interesting. Even though my receiver is too old, I've been following that thread fairly closely. My current AVR was supposed to be my last, or at least be around a long time, but then I started reading AVS. :( Even with interesting new features coming out every year now, I'm going to wait a bit.

Yeah I was desperate for a new one since my Pioneer VSX-44 was dated! And it really stretched the "Elite" brand. I didn't find it "Elite" at all. In fact it seemed less feature rich than the non "Elite" Pioneer I had before it that blew up from a lightning strike.

Anyways the SR6011 seemed as future proof as I could hope for.

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
Denon was just something I bought to try. Never thought It was horrible but I'll never buy a audyssey receiver as my first choice. I'm refraining from telling all the denon people how bad the 4200 died.

Have integra r1 in main room. Yamaha 3060 in my bedroom. Onkyo rz1100 coming soon for that room. Maybe??

Other rooms I have integra 60.5. Yamaha 850. Yamaha 840. Pio sc57. Onkyo 515.

In storage. Denon 4308. Pioneer sc1222 which I just found. Forgot I had it.

Just sold my onkyo rz900.

The integra dtr1 is so much better than denon 4200. In every way. Yamaha 3060 is interesting though. It's a coin toss maybe. I only bought rz1100 because I got a steal on it. About 1/2 of msrp. :)

I'm glad some people have success with audyssey. Some of that success might be that the room was a mess before.

Your Yamaha 2030 is a nice avr. Probably should of bought it instead of this denon 4200. Still would be working.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Hi Marc,

I have the AV7702 mkII. I was just listening to music and a little TV when I changed the sub setting to 24db, and I don’t think there was any LFE from these sources. Are you saying that the processor’s LPF for LFE setting can actually have an impact on the cross-over roll off for the main channels ?

My goal is to find the best subwoofer settings for music and I do think I am hearing a difference with the sub’s LPF setting even though I am not using the sub’s cross-over. The sub cross-over is currently set to max (250 Hz).

Thanks for the feedback.

PS - Any one else having problems with the IE and the forums lately
I also have the AV7702mkII. The LPF for LFE has an effect on the subwoofer only. Most prefer a gentle rolloff on the mains and a steeper rolloff on the subs. You can accomplish this with the LPF for LFE setting and/or using the LPF on the subwoofer. Again, adjust these to your taste.

Microsoft browsers are no longer the standard. Try using Mozilla Firefox or Chrome for better conpatibility when browsing the web.

·
Registered
21,193 Posts
Still got my 2030.
Your Yamaha 2030 is a nice avr. Probably should of bought it instead of this denon 4200. Still would be working.
As some may recall, I have used Yamaha receivers for nearly 15 years. The most recent one is and RX-A3060, which I got last summer. As is the case with all receivers, the ones made by Yamaha aren’t perfect. That said, the three I have had, the first an RX-V2400 and the second a 3900, have all worked commendably. I had the 2400 for six years, and the 3900 for seven. The 3900 is still in daily service at my daughter and son in law's house.

YPAO works reliably, particularly on my 3060. It’s not perfect though. It doesn’t do much with subwoofers beyond setting distances. For reliable level matching and leveling out spikes and nulls, you still need a UMIK-1 or equivalent and REW. So what, though? Those of us who care enough about getting the very best reproduction of the LFE portions of movie soundtracks and clearly hear the low end of recorded music to buy high end subwoofers are not going to blink at buying a sensitive mic and climbing REW’s not insignificant learning curve.

The bottom line for me is that thanks to my dual Rythmik FV18s, YPAO, and REW, the movies I play in my home theater sound the best they ever have, by far.

·
3,167 Posts
As some may recall, I have used Yamaha receivers for nearly 15 years. The most recent one is and RX-A3060, which I got last summer. As is the case with all receivers, the ones made by Yamaha aren’t perfect. That said, the three I have had, the first an RX-V2400 and the second a 3900, have all worked commendably. I had the 2400 for six years, and the 3900 for seven. The 3900 is still in daily service at my daughter and son in law's house.

YPAO works reliably, particularly on my 3060. It’s not perfect though. It doesn’t do much with subwoofers beyond setting distances. For reliable level matching and leveling out spikes and nulls, you still need a UMIK-1 or equivalent and REW. So what, though? Those of us who care enough about getting the very best reproduction of the LFE portions of movie soundtracks and clearly hear the low end of recorded music to buy high end subwoofers are not going to blink at buying a sensitive mic and climbing REW’s not insignificant learning curve.

The bottom line for me is that thanks to my dual Rythmik FV18s, YPAO, and REW, the movies I play in my home theater sound the best they ever have, by far.

After the last year or so, I would argue a bit for the case of having Audyssey XT32 (or Dirac...especially Dirac Live) doing more than just the distances. I've been working on getting my single sub EQ'd and PEQ'd for almost a year, finally getting a second in the hopes of helping my situation. Only to find it made my situation worse even with the UMIK-1 and miniDSP 2x4-HD. My point is only that there is definitely something to be said about having good machine calibration in the sub frequencies, especially for dual subs.

That being said, what you hear and how much you enjoy your sound is clearly most important. I think you and I, (and many other Rythmik Owners) are very happy on that front!

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
Measurements must be taken with a grain of salt. Yesterday, after running Dirac for the first time I got an almost perfect impulse response but then when I was listening something was kinda off. The sound stage was a bit shifted to the left. So I started messing around with Dirac levels but things got worse. This morning I did try again and ran Dirac but this time marking the spots on my sofa with blue tape and following Dirac measurements recommendations. The final result was an impulse response not as perfect as yesterday's but it sounds amazing. The sound stage is back on the center and I love the sound. So UMIK-1 mic is packed and stored. Time to enjoy my new system :)

Attachments

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
As some may recall, I have used Yamaha receivers for nearly 15 years. The most recent one is and RX-A3060, which I got last summer. As is the case with all receivers, the ones made by Yamaha aren?t perfect. That said, the three I have had, the first an RX-V2400 and the second a 3900, have all worked commendably. I had the 2400 for six years, and the 3900 for seven. The 3900 is still in daily service at my daughter and son in law's house.

YPAO works reliably, particularly on my 3060. It?s not perfect though. It doesn?t do much with subwoofers beyond setting distances. For reliable level matching and leveling out spikes and nulls, you still need a UMIK-1 or equivalent and REW. So what, though? Those of us who care enough about getting the very best reproduction of the LFE portions of movie soundtracks and clearly hear the low end of recorded music to buy high end subwoofers are not going to blink at buying a sensitive mic and climbing REW?s not insignificant learning curve.

After the last year or so, I would argue a bit for the case of having Audyssey XT32 (or Dirac...especially Dirac Live) doing more than just the distances. I've been working on getting my single sub EQ'd and PEQ'd for almost a year, finally getting a second in the hopes of helping my situation. Only to find it made my situation worse even with the UMIK-1 and miniDSP 2x4-HD. My point is only that there is definitely something to be said about having good machine calibration in the sub frequencies, especially for dual subs.

That being said, what you hear and how much you enjoy your sound is clearly most important. I think you and I, (and many other Rythmik Owners) are very happy on that front!
I think better results plus ease of use makes Audyssey XT32 a lot better than your Pioneer plus MiniDSP approach. At least in your case. Wonder if you should have got the AVR before anything else...

·
3,167 Posts
Nice!! I would to hear your thoughts on XT32 vs. Dirac Live after you get some listening time in. I'm about to pop in Dark Side of the Moon on SACD and give it a listen through.

Reactions: Alan P

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I passed on the 4 fv15hp. Had some scuffs and scratches. Kinda minor but at his price I'd want them to be perfect. Exactly the reason I don't like piano black finish. Scratches to easy.

I'm going to wait till I move and see what sub I need.

I'm ok with 2 fv15hp for now
i'm kind of glad they're for sale out west and not closer to me, i'd probably do something stupid :)

·
3,167 Posts
I passed on the 4 fv15hp. Had some scuffs and scratches. Kinda minor but at his price I'd want them to be perfect. Exactly the reason I don't like piano black finish. Scratches to easy.

Didn't you drive pretty far for them? He didn't send pictures or mention the scratches before you went? Who was the seller?

·
3,167 Posts
Multi-channel I like Audeyssey on. 2ch I still prefer PURE DIRECT which bypasses Audyssey. YMMV

I'm almost positive that in my room, without correction turned on I'm not going to get a better sound for any media. Listening to TDSOTM using these settings.

This track Time btw is seriously throwing some sounds around the room! Great stuff. I'm a multichannel guy. Never cared for stereo in the age of multichannel. The Bailando Atmos mix in the Atmos Demo Disk is great. I'd love to see live show blurays come out in Atmos.

·
Banned
1,379 Posts

Didn't you drive pretty far for them? He didn't send pictures or mention the scratches before you went? Who was the seller?
He lives about 5-10min from me. I saw them before but was in a darker theater room.

I told him I'd pay $4000 just can't do $4800

·
3,167 Posts
He lives about 5-10min from me. I saw them before but was in a darker theater room.

I told him I'd pay $4000 just can't do $4800

Ohhh ok - I must have been thinking about someone else that said they were driving something like 500 miles for something. No big deal in that case. I feel secluded down here in south jersey. I've yet to find anyone on the forum from around where I live (other than a few relatives of mine). Plasma lives in central/North jersey - he's probably the closest AVSer to me

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
That's why I'm waiting. I'm also skeptical about fv25 being better than fv15hp stacked.

Been through this before and in my room I had different experiences.

Psa said v1800 was better than Xv30f. Not in my room. People even said Psa vx15se was better than Xv30 in lower bass. Not the case.

I'm not saying your wrong or rythmik is overstated the output. Just need to test in my room. Why I'm leaning towards fv25. I need to find out. We are moving this summer so I'll wait till we are in new place.

Remember numbers on one fv15hp than add 6db. Crazy if fv25 puts out better numbers than that. It would put it well past cap1400 and comparable to ulf4000. Numbers of [email protected] Over 130 in mid bass.

Little worried about port noise on fv25 with 3 small ports. I'll see soon :)

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
Nice!! I would to hear your thoughts on XT32 vs. Dirac Live after you get some listening time in. I'm about to pop in Dark Side of the Moon on SACD and give it a listen through.
Multi-channel I like Audeyssey on. 2ch I still prefer PURE DIRECT which bypasses Audyssey. YMMV
Dirac is definitely in another level. Everybody here know that I had to buy a 2 ch preamp (Parasound P5) to listen to music because Audyssey sounded too processed and bright for my taste. Dirac sounds like there is no processing, very natural but very dynamic and if you want it sounding, bright then you can change the target curve to your taste and voila. Music is the most important part for me but movies and TV sounds amazing with Dirac. I already sold my Marantz SR7008 on eBay and the P5 is almost sold out.

29721 - 29740 of 45144 Posts