AVS Forum banner

36241 - 36260 of 45187 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi all,

Is there any drawback if i lay my fv25 on it side?I have triple fv25,thinking of place it dual at front corner(straight) and one at the back of mlp(on it side).Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,773 Posts
Hi all,

Is there any drawback if i lay my fv25 on it side?I have triple fv25,thinking of place it dual at front corner(straight) and one at the back of mlp(on it side).Thanks.
Paging @serith :D

Last I knew, he had 3 FV25's on their side in the back of his room, and he loves it.

Reactions: sherr127

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
In his last YT video I saw he's contemplating of getting rid of them though :(

He wants those JTR captivator big boys I guess :)
i've found the limits of what i have. down the rabbit hole i fall further.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Having like 3 JTR captivator 4000ULF's.. isn't that like the endgame? Or can the DIY-route even top that?
diy will always have a higher theoretical ceiling than internet direct offerings. companies like rythmik & jtr have to be able to move & ship what you're buying to your house :D

i'm not sure what i'm going to do. i want more output and i only have so much physical space for the subs to go. while diy has its advantages, it really feels like a gamble with what you're going to end up with versus letting much smarter people than myself figure that out. i know there are people that probably enjoy building & tinkering with this stuff more than actually using/listening to their creations, i'm just not one of them.

people always ask why i didn't go diy to begin with, or tell me that i wasted my money buying pre-built subs. it's true that you can slap together enormous subwoofers for less than paying someone else to do it for you (that's true of almost everything in life), but there are way too many variables to ensure i'd like how it ends up or sounds. i'm not upset or bitter about my situation so please don't read into this like that. i have three of the most powerful/capable consumer subwoofers money can buy, but i've found the limits and now i'm at a crossroads as what to do next. and before anyone says "just buy 3 more of what you have", i've thought about it. what worries me about doing that is i don't necessarily want to have 12 drivers, 6 boxes & 6 amplifiers to worry about. i'd prefer a "less is more" approach to this.

i've nagged rythmik in the past to build an FV28HP, i wasn't necessarily kidding.

Reactions: muscles and djreef

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
diy will always have a higher theoretical ceiling than internet direct offerings. companies like rythmik & jtr have to be able to move & ship what you're buying to your house :D

i'm not sure what i'm going to do. i want more output and i only have so much physical space for the subs to go. while diy has its advantages, it really feels like a gamble with what you're going to end up with versus letting much smarter people than myself figure that out. i know there are people that probably enjoy building & tinkering with this stuff more than actually using/listening to their creations, i'm just not one of them.

people always ask why i didn't go diy to begin with, or tell me that i wasted my money buying pre-built subs. it's true that you can slap together enormous subwoofers for less than paying someone else to do it for you (that's true of almost everything in life), but there are way too many variables to ensure i'd like how it ends up or sounds. i'm not upset or bitter about my situation so please don't read into this like that. i have three of the most powerful/capable consumer subwoofers money can buy, but i've found the limits and now i'm at a crossroads as what to do next. and before anyone says "just buy 3 more of what you have", i've thought about it. what worries me about doing that is i don't necessarily want to have 12 drivers, 6 boxes & 6 amplifiers to worry about. i'd prefer a "less is more" approach to this.

i've nagged rythmik in the past to build an FV28HP, i wasn't necessarily kidding.
What exact limit to those subs did you find? Are you playing movies and music louder than they can go ( compression, bottoming out, etc)? That has to be in excess of 130 db which is loud af. You sure your hearing isnt bad (sort of kidding)?

Would 2 s7201 or 2 jtr 4k cut the bill? I can relate to exactly what you mean by spending a bit more and having it done by someone who knows more than you/me. Peace of mind.

Im confused... 3 of those subs should be bass heaven.

Dave

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
What exact limit to those subs did you find? Are you playing movies and music louder than they can go ( compression, bottoming out, etc)? That has to be in excess of 130 db which is loud af. You sure your hearing isnt bad (sort of kidding)?

Would 2 s7201 or 2 jtr 4k cut the bill? I can relate to exactly what you mean by spending a bit more and having it done by someone who knows more than you/me. Peace of mind.

Im confused... 3 of those subs should be bass heaven.

Dave
my hearing is fine, and for what it's worth i've never found a credible source stating that LFE damages hearing--although there are numerous articles that discuss how easy it is to damage your hearing with higher frequencies (e.g., everything that comes out of your tweeters).

i 100% believe that if i was on a suspended floor i'd be much happier with the bass i have. concrete really is a wet towel for this hobby. the only "upgrade" from these subwoofers is the jtr 4000 (a larger ported sub from an ID company). before jtr fans rush to correct me and tell me how slightly superior the 2400 is to the fv25, the point is they are very close in output and if i'm going to upgrade my equipment i'd just go for the godzilla sub. i've posted this before but my father created a cap 4000 look-alike. i'm not really sold on how it sounds but he does have an awkwardly shaped room and is using mismatched drivers at the moment. i'd be extremely curious to see how they would sound in my room but like rythmik dad went with MDF and the things weigh nearly 400lbs each. i'd have to build them in my basement...

·
Registered
464 Posts

Same reasoning to why I didn’t build my last car, or house. Some things are just beyond your scope/time horizon. I actually did build my last sub, but it damn sure ain’t no 4000ULF.

DJ

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
my hearing is fine, and for what it's worth i've never found a credible source stating that LFE damages hearing--although there are numerous articles that discuss how easy it is to damage your hearing with higher frequencies (e.g., everything that comes out of your tweeters).

i 100% believe that if i was on a suspended floor i'd be much happier with the bass i have. concrete really is a wet towel for this hobby. the only "upgrade" from these subwoofers is the jtr 4000 (a larger ported sub from an ID company). before jtr fans rush to correct me and tell me how slightly superior the 2400 is to the fv25, the point is they are very close in output and if i'm going to upgrade my equipment i'd just go for the godzilla sub. i've posted this before but my father created a cap 4000 look-alike. i'm not really sold on how it sounds but he does have an awkwardly shaped room and is using mismatched drivers at the moment. i'd be extremely curious to see how they would sound in my room but like rythmik dad went with MDF and the things weigh nearly 400lbs each. i'd have to build them in my basement...

It seems to me your issue is not output but TR. would it not be more economical and easier to add crowsons to your seating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
you need to really turn up the gains on fv25hp to get TR out of em imo...like almost max

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
@serith I feel you on that one. This is the whole entire reason I moved my home theater from my downstairs concrete Bunker to upstairs to a suspended floor. After hearing the difference and feeling it, it was a no brainer. The difference and tactile response is just amazing. It definitely seems like you just need the Crowsons and you’ll be set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
IIRC, you have spots for 3FV25s sitting inches against your backseats. That would solve your TR issue on concrete basement.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
IIRC, you have spots for 3FV25s sitting inches against your backseats. That would solve your TR issue on concrete basement.
having them too close to the seating creates a localization problem. having the subs against the rear wall allows them to blend really well into the room.

i'm researching the crowson actuators...

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
@serith - I hesitate to say this because a lot of folks don't want anything to do with it, but you may try moving one of your 3 FV25HPs to directly behind your seat with drivers about and inch away or closer from the back of your seat (you'll need to re calibrate with the one behind your seat and the other two subs on subout 1, but your Denon should do the job nicely). Then tweak levels to your liking on the sub right behind you to get more or less feel depending on your tastes. Do that for starters and then add Crowsons as well. You'll be getting feel by the truckload for these movies, or should be anyway and I'm willing to bet that will satisfy your craving for MORE ...or take care of most of it. I agree with imureh and probably is what your wanting more of even if you don't know it yet :)

I used to do that with a Rythnik FV15HP in my large open living room on concrete. It was actually too much feel for music played though all channel stereo etc without really lowering the gain on it, but for movies it kicked major butt!! You may feel the same and is worth a try I say before you go replacing those 3 awesome beasts with something else.

EDIT: tvoung beat me too it, or like he said move all 3

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
having them too close to the seating creates a localization problem. having the subs against the rear wall allows them to blend really well into the room.

Shouldn't be an issue, just play with it. Move them/it (the one or all of them right behind you) a few more inches away if need be, but at a 90hz crossover I've never had localization issues from it

·
Registered
873 Posts

So, probably more work than you want to do, but why not build a suspended floor over your slab? I would think even the width of a two by four with a double layer of sheeting would improve TR substantially over what you have. My "theater" is in an enclosed two car garage and that is what we did. Prepped the slab, glued and "shot" two by fours over it as floor joists, laid down a moisture barrier, then double layer of sheeting, and finally wood flooring over that.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
So, probably more work than you want to do, but why not build a suspended floor over your slab? I would think even the width of a two by four with a double layer of sheeting would improve TR substantially over what you have. My "theater" is in an enclosed two car garage and that is what we did. Prepped the slab, glued and "shot" two by fours over it as floor joists, laid down a moisture barrier, then double layer of sheeting, and finally wood flooring over that.
i would have already done it but i don't have the ceiling height to spare. average height in the room is ~6'8", and there is a support beam & hvac ductwork i can walk under now but would not be able to if i raised the floor up.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
IME, localization is when there is ONE sub to the left or right of you. No issue when there are 2 subs on both side of you or one sub directly behind you. In your case, 3 FV25s lining up directly behind you where you sit at the center point of the middle sub, will not have localization problem. Try it, it’s free :) I am afraid your couch will be lifted up having them this way :D

36241 - 36260 of 45187 Posts