AVS Forum banner

41841 - 41860 of 45166 Posts

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
How does it compare to a single FV18?

I have a single one in my living room open floor plan, about 3.3k cubed feet. I wonder if a second one would be much different. I positioned it in the corner within a few feet of the MLP.
Not having a single sub and been using dual, for the last 20 years or so. Honestly, I cannot tell you since your area is double than mine.

First you should ask your self those few questions;
-How does-it sound to you with a single FV18?
-Do you feel like you can achieve your listening level easily?
If it sound good, and satisfied to be able your listening level. Than your single sub might be all that you need.

That said, having dual subs do have some advantage. The first one, both subs will play at lower level to achieve what one sub do. Therefore can achieve higher playing level with less stress on each subs, resulting in a better sound. Second one, it can smooth out the frequencies for more sitting area not just your main MLP as one spot. Another thing to keep in mind, when going dual subs. It is always best practice to have two subs that are the same. Since they will be much easy to integrate together, due that different subs are harder to integrate because of phase issues.

To learn more is a very good Guide on sub/s set-up;
Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences
VIII-C: Selecting Single Versus Multiple Subwoofers:

Darth

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
one sub can do wonders if you get the spl and ulf desired...most get a second sub to get louder/deeper...which really isnt the right decision...more subs is for smoother sound across the space. too many people dont get a large enough sub from get go. adding a second sub to already weak setup isnt smart. buying the 1st sub strong enough is smartest choice...from a company that hopefully will have same sub a few yrs later so can add second or 3rd etc...

doc toole was satisfied with a single 18 sub for a decade I believe before upgrading to 4 x 18's

Reactions: darthray

·
Registered
229 Posts
Building a workshop/mancave/home theater. ~20ftx25ftx9ft ceilings. Non-dedicated space with some hard surfaces (workshop), but planning on doing some basic sound treatment such as bass traps in the corners and a few panels on the walls/ceiling. 50/50 movies and music.

Re-using Axiom audio speakers from last house for most of a 5.1.4 system. But need a recommendation on the '.1' and Rythmik is tempting.

1) Is it a waste to look at a higher end sub for a space like this?
2) By 'higher-end' I don't want to spend more than $1k. What would you recommend from the Rythmik line for that use/price point?
3) Other options to consider?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes, we are considering a carbon fiber cone driver. I asked Brian to get a sample. Right now we are testing the fiberglass cone driver.
So a somewhat related question to driver material, if you are comfortable answering and it hasn't been asked recently. What is the % of aluminum cones to paper cones that Rythmic sells? I see aluminum is the default on the website, but almost every mention of the sub I've seen on this site says with the paper cone, so I'm curious how many people go one way or the other. Not sure if AVS is the exception or not

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
building a workshop/mancave/home theater. ~20ftx25ftx9ft ceilings. Non-dedicated space with some hard surfaces (workshop), but planning on doing some basic sound treatment such as bass traps in the corners and a few panels on the walls/ceiling. 50/50 movies and music.

Re-using axiom audio speakers from last house for most of a 5.1.4 system. But need a recommendation on the '.1' and rythmik is tempting.

1) is it a waste to look at a higher end sub for a space like this?
2) by 'higher-end' i don't want to spend more than $1k. What would you recommend from the rythmik line for that use/price point?
FVX15.

3) other options to consider?
Not at that price point.

·
Registered
578 Posts
It is due to the spectral content of the hum. Under oscilloscope, hum is like a repetitive series of spikes with good amount of frequency components of 120hz multiples. So the LINE-IN filters more of that than LFE-IN.
Thank you for the information!

·
Registered
8,499 Posts

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
@Soulburner, are you still SUBless? Haven't figured out what to get yet?
Kind of in a holding pattern until money & time become available. Also, some other things have become a priority for now.

It's likely going to be between PSA S1812s or whatever is the closest Rythmik offering to that (yes I know about the F18, but they are not exactly equal).

·
Registered
5,763 Posts

·
Registered
5,763 Posts

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
What makes them different, just curious?
For starters, the Rythmik is more expensive and a lot heavier, so if you need to get them to an upstairs media room, that could be an issue.

Other than that, the way they go about producing their end sound is quite different, due to the very different drivers involved. DSP is also different.

I prefer the deep Rythmik extension, though. PSA doesn't produce deep-extending subs until you get into their monster cabinets with multiple drivers.

·
Registered
767 Posts
DSP is also different.

I prefer the deep Rythmik extension, though. PSA doesn't produce deep-extending subs until you get into their monster cabinets with multiple drivers.

Rythmik doesn't even use a DSP, that is a huge difference, especially for 2 channel playback where delay is an issue.

Greg

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
I turn off all dsp when listening to music in avr...I did use dsp to help integrating my new subs to try and get a similar sound off vs on via placement and old school manual settings.

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
For starters, the Rythmik is more expensive and a lot heavier, so if you need to get them to an upstairs media room, that could be an issue.

Other than that, the way they go about producing their end sound is quite different, due to the very different drivers involved. DSP is also different.

Rythmik doesn't even use a DSP, that is a huge difference, especially for 2 channel playback where delay is an issue.

Greg
Pretty sure SB was referring to SP (Signal Processing) in general. Many folks when referring to any Signal Processing, which could be Digital (DSP) or Analog (ASP), erroneously they call it DSP. In our subwoofers there is manipulation of the signal but it happens in the analog domain so our Signal Processing (SP) should be called ASP and not DSP.

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
41841 - 41860 of 45166 Posts