AVS Forum banner

43481 - 43500 of 45059 Posts

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
Another thing I haven't done yet is tried 2 port mode.
All you have to do is to unplug the port and flip the rumble switch to ON/2 without having to recal or to do anything. I tried just about all combinations and have been using mine in 12/hi damping 1 port mode for years. I am flat down to 10hz and I love every bit of it. I do NOT use dyneq however but running my subs about 11-12db hot.

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
A couple of options:

1. Use only one output on the AVR and use the delay on the closest sub to adjust delay. This option would require some effort, but since you have REW, it should be relatively easy.

2. Use only one output on the AVR and use a MiniDSP to time align the subs. This is how I do it as I have found the calibration software in the AVR doesn't always do the best job. The new feature in REW that lets you align the subs using a slider makes this very easy and quick.
Good suggestions. Just want to add that with option 1, he must use line-in on his fv15 to be able to use the phase knob. This line-in option limits the upper frequency to 90ish hz

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Ignorance is bliss. That is probably why most people don't use room correction or think one sub is enough without even testing it. My dad's best friend had a dedicated home theater with only one sub and I couldn't convince him he'd benefit from a second sub. He was convinced that his installer calibrated his system perfectly and there was no need for a second sub in his 6+ seat theater. I didn't get a chance to hear it, but now they're retired in Florida and the wife didn't want a home theater anymore.
I am with the chuckster on this. A graph is accurate and it is satisfying to eliminate nulls, but the audible result is not always noticeable. Mostly not. I have three subs and used to play around quite a bit. Perfection, while not necessarily the enemy of good, is not always that noticeable compared to very good.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I am with the chuckster on this. A graph is accurate and it is satisfying to eliminate nulls, but the audible result is not always noticeable. Mostly not. I have three subs and used to play around quite a bit. Perfection, while not necessarily the enemy of good, is not always that noticeable compared to very good.
Although I would argue that measurement equipment and sweeps are essential to properly integrating and maximizing the performance of multiple subs. Very challenging to do that by ear although an AVR with 2 discreet subwoofer channels can yield decent results.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
I've found that even small peaks and dips have a noticeable effect on bass quality. My testing material is often movie and video game soundtracks, in addition to electronic music.

The key is finding the right content that reveals it. A folk song with a repeating beat isn't going to find those issues.

Reactions: Rysa4

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Although I would argue that measurement equipment and sweeps are essential to properly integrating and maximizing the performance of multiple subs. Very challenging to do that by ear although an AVR with 2 discreet subwoofer channels can yield decent results.
I agree. And everybody else that agrees is a member of AVS!!

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Alright guys, the room is evolving and it's time to reorganize everything. Some of you have posted your cabinet/shelving setups before and this is going to revolve around a new sub, so...

Currently: (attached)

Bass traps are on the way for the front corners.

Plans include wall-mounting the TV, retiring the stand, and putting a new Rythmik sub underneath the plasma, dead center. That was the previous location of my front F12 and it is by far the best (it was behind the TV stand with everything pulled forward a bit).

This means I need some small equipment stands for the surge/filters, AVR, input sources, etc. I'm imagining two of them, one on each side of the sub. 2-3 shelves, max height around 14 inches. The top of the 6" AVR sitting on top of a 14" shelf would bring it right to the bottom of the TV so that's why height is limited. I also need to find a Blu-ray shelf/cabinet. Not sure where to start looking so I thought I'd ask here first. Thanks!

Attachments

Reactions: Vg247

·
Registered
160 Posts
Alright guys, the room is evolving and it's time to reorganize everything. Some of you have posted your cabinet/shelving setups before and this is going to revolve around a new sub, so...

Plans include wall-mounting the TV, retiring the stand, and putting a new Rythmik sub underneath the plasma, dead center. That was the previous location of my front F12 and it is by far the best (it was behind the TV stand with everything pulled forward a bit).

This means I need some small equipment stands for the surge/filters, AVR, input sources, etc. I'm imagining two of them, one on each side of the sub. 2-3 shelves, max height around 14 inches. The top of the 6" AVR sitting on top of a 14" shelf would bring it right to the bottom of the TV so that's why height is limited. I also need to find a Blu-ray shelf/cabinet. Not sure where to start looking so I thought I'd ask here first. Thanks!
Nice N 64! Still one of the best out there...goldeneye, Mario kart, etc..

·
Registered
7,718 Posts

No center channel? If you wanted to consider one, this would be the perfect opportunity to raise the TV just a bit and get a matching vertical center channel.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
No center channel? If you wanted to consider one, this would be the perfect opportunity to raise the TV just a bit and get a matching vertical center channel.
No center, and Mads doesn't currently sell single speakers. TV is at ideal height for viewing. Also notice the orientation of the room means I'm always in the center. Display would have to be raised pretty substantially to make a center work - at least 2 feet.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,684 Posts
If I can't get a relatively flat response, am I crazy for thinking that a 3rd F18 behind my couch would be a good solution?
And yet another AVS member scurries down the rabbit hole....

·
Registered
5,698 Posts

https://www.standsandmounts.com

·
Registered
12,714 Posts
Reactions: JimWilson

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
My Denon X3300 does show on screen display when I adjust subwoofer levels during all content. Well, on Apple TV anyways, I'll double check with blu ray but I would assume so.

This is a new issue I'm addressing because with my previous DIY subs, I only used one subwoofer output to my subwoofer amp. The sub amp then split the signal to each sub. So I could just adjust subwoofer volume in the AVR and it controlled both subs evenly. Its a bit of a PITA to adjust each subwoofer volume separately but I found another solution that will probably work well. Also, I have one subwoofer, the more near field one, +1.5 dB in AVR trim compared to the other. This fills in a 40 Hz null the rest of the way that is produced by the other single sub, much more than the 1.5 dB increase in sub level.

I found that in a couple of *REALLY* bass heavy movies, there is just too much low end. Such as Tron for example. It's obnoxious. I usually run DEQ which works really well for most of my listening. So on movies that have obnoxiously loud LFE I just turn DEQ off and this seems to work really well. I can always adjust the subs separately though if I need to. If I figure out a solution I'll post it up.

Another thing I haven't done yet is tried 2 port mode. Just curious about it really....it does seem to have slightly more headroom than 1 port mode, even well above port tune, so wondering what if any affect this will have on music. If I'm not flat to at least 16 Hz though, I won't use it. Mid and upper teens are way too beneficial on movies for me. Might switch from low damping to high to regain a bit of extension if I try 2 port? Has anyone switched and preferred it?

I watched Alita tonight up around -10 MV with subs about 10 hot and DEQ engaged. This movie has a lot of LFE and the FV's handled it flawlessly in 1 port. DEQ doesn't boost much by -10 anymore, maybe 3-4 dB. Regardless, this is still slightly above reference level with this calibration.
While I agree, having to adjust each sub separately is not convenient. Such is the nature of the beast when using XT32, since it has two discrete sub output. And like you, if I figure a way to adjust both at the same. I will post-it, since it could be beneficial to other Members. If there was only a gadget, with two different signal input and two output. That could be adjusted by remote with a small display, for adjusting the signal. Done between the AVR/AVP, and the subs just to adjust the signal level with a +/- dB. I would buy-it in an instant, since it would not require going into the menu for those who own Denon/Marantz product.

This got me thinking:eek:
Maybe finding two used SMS-1 could work, if each one is use to adjust the level signal on each subs. Since technically been the same product. The remote should work on both SMS-1 at the same time. And are connected between the outputs of the AVR/AVP and the subs;
https://www.audioholics.com/acoustic-reviews/velodyne-sms-1-subwoofer-parametric-eq-system
While it does not go by dB to adjust the level since it use a different scale, they could be use to raise or decrease the bass output by hear.

I also find the mid bass too important to sacrifice them, over heavy ULF since I also don't care when the bass become too heavy. Since it remove the overall balance of the sound, that is also important to me. The reason when doing my settings, I don't use the DEQ option.

Darth

·
Registered
7,612 Posts

+1, for adding a Center speaker.

No center, and Mads doesn't currently sell single speakers. TV is at ideal height for viewing. Also notice the orientation of the room means I'm always in the center. Display would have to be raised pretty substantially to make a center work - at least 2 feet.
Too bad they don't currently sell single speaker:(

If they ever do, no need to raise your Display since you do have a nice spot on the floor for-it. Since it can be vertically match with your mains, by adjusting proper angle of the Center Speaker to do it. Don't be shy to shoot me a PM, for easy and detail instruction on how to adjust the Center speaker angle to match perfectly your main:)

Darth

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
If they ever do, no need to raise your Display since you do have a nice spot on the floor for-it. Since it can be vertically match with your mains, by adjusting proper angle of the Center Speaker to do it. Don't be shy to shoot me a PM, for easy and detail instruction on how to adjust the Center speaker angle to match perfectly your main:)
I've thought about it, but in this new arrangement where I put the TV on the wall I don't think it will work. My front sub lives against the wall as that's where it performs best so there won't be an opportunity to put another speaker there.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
I've had my FVX15 since March and am happy with it. However, I have an occasional hum, which I think is the dc offset issue as it still occurs with the RCA cable unplugged.
I noticed the recommendation for the Emotiva CMX-2, but it seems to be out of stock everywhere.
Anyone have another similar product to recommend? Any idea if the CMX-2 is coming back?

·
Premium Member
6,339 Posts
I've had my FVX15 since March and am happy with it. However, I have an occasional hum, which I think is the dc offset issue as it still occurs with the RCA cable unplugged.
I noticed the recommendation for the Emotiva CMX-2, but it seems to be out of stock everywhere.
Anyone have another similar product to recommend? Any idea if the CMX-2 is coming back?
The CMX-2 comes and goes very frequently. I would recommend you signing in the “Notify Me When Available”. It won’t take too long to be back in stock.

https://emotiva.com/products/cmx-2

·
Registered
312 Posts
Got a email back from Blue Jeans Cable and Jeff has said for 40ft run the LC1 would be great for a subwoofer. I asked about the XLR to RCA and he came back with the LC1.
Is the LC1 a very good option?
LC1 is a fantastic cable with excellent noise shielding, good flexibility, and very high quality termination. Can they build one with an XLR on one end?
Yep I asked they said that no advantage could actually cause noise problems. Also if you haven't XLR on ends you can't run a balanced signal.

43481 - 43500 of 45059 Posts