AVS Forum banner

43501 - 43520 of 45162 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
I've had my FVX15 since March and am happy with it. However, I have an occasional hum, which I think is the dc offset issue as it still occurs with the RCA cable unplugged.
I noticed the recommendation for the Emotiva CMX-2, but it seems to be out of stock everywhere.
Anyone have another similar product to recommend? Any idea if the CMX-2 is coming back?
As was recommended, sign up for notifications. I had DC offset and my subs as well as my mains amp. The transformers would hum when some lamps and kitchen lighting were on.

I also tried the Van Alstine Hum Dinger, but I preferred the CMX-2.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Just wanted to know, how long, if any, can I expect the Subs to burn in? Worried coz over time the sound signature will change of the woofers thus peaking at certain frequencies.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Just wanted to know, how long, if any, can I expect the Subs to burn in? Worried coz over time the sound signature will change of the woofers thus peaking at certain frequencies.
It will actually start to sound even better once things break in...nothing to be worried about

·
Registered
259 Posts
It's not worrying me. It's just that I kinda flattened them a couple of weeks ago. Now the rew has made it wonky again requiring more filters to stop a peak around 20db mark.

Sent from my HD1911 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
It's not worrying me. It's just that I kinda flattened them a couple of weeks ago. Now the rew has made it wonky again requiring more filters to stop a peak around 20db mark.

How big is the peak? That does not sound like a symptom of the subs breaking in but rather something changing in how the readings are being taken

·
Registered
259 Posts
It was a 5 db but there was room rumbling that made me get the umik hooked up. Don't think I've changed anything over the last 15 days. But yes in a few days (when I feel energetic) I might get everything hooked up, remeasure and reflatten.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Hi,

While many gave you some good recommendation, and do use myself 4 XLR to RCA cables from my AVP to my second Amp for the Atmos duty speakers.
They are short (3ft), and would had use RCA if it was not of a hiss problem. From my Marantz AVP, when using the RCA outputs. That could be either a bad component on my AVP, or since I was using XLR connections for all my other connections on my system.

The purpose of XLR cables. Is to be able to produce a clean signal, for a long distance without degradation in the signal and minimum ground noise. Having an XLR to RCA cable, for a long run defeat that purpose. While both XLR and RCA, can be shield. The XLR is a balance cable, and the RCA is unbalance;
https://www.techwalla.com/articles/what-is-an-xlr-cable

While it can be done, having an XLR to RCA still give an unbalance connection. But sometime due a hiss problem from the source like mine, or ease of connection. It is the only solution we have. Since you have such a long run, perhaps using good quality subs RCA cable/s from BJC;
https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/subwoofer/index.htm
Is your best option, and can recommend the proper cable/s for you. Since they also have excellent quality and good Customer Service.

Darth
Yep I asked they said that no advantage could actually cause noise problems. Also if you haven't XLR on ends you can't run a balanced signal.
Hi,

BJC is one of those very honest company, that prefer giving an honest answer over making a sell. Like my previous post, they also mention it will not be a balance signal.
That said, most folks use RCA and work great for them.

Having a noise problem like an hiss/buzz, can be very difficult to find the culprit. Since most time, it has to do with a connection problem. And could be anything, same electrical circuit/cables etc…

A quick search on google, gave me this link that may be useful to you;
https://www.techhive.com/article/3063590/how-to-get-rid-of-hum-and-eliminate-other-noises-from-your-audio-and-video-systems.html

Even with all the precautions I did, been each dictated (two 20 Amps and two 15 Amps) electrical circuit are on the same side of the house main circuit. And using all XLR connections, problem still can occur. As it happen with my present Marantz AVP, using the RCA outputs. And a short adapter, going from XLR to RCA did fix my problem. It took me a long time, to find the cause of the problem. And having a good quality cable to start with, is one less thing to check.

Darth

·
Registered
501 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
I've had my FVX15 since March and am happy with it. However, I have an occasional hum, which I think is the dc offset issue as it still occurs with the RCA cable unplugged.
I noticed the recommendation for the Emotiva CMX-2, but it seems to be out of stock everywhere.
Anyone have another similar product to recommend? Any idea if the CMX-2 is coming back?
The CMX-2 comes and goes very frequently. I would recommend you signing in the “Notify Me When Available”. It won’t take too long to be back in stock.

https://emotiva.com/products/cmx-2
+1. I ordered one direct from Emotiva less than two weeks ago, and it arrived last week. I then bought one of their trigger expansion boxes using the Emotiva bucks from the CMX-2 purchase.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
Thanks. Do they have anything like that, chopped into thirds? Looking for single-columns.

Edit: I found some, but they cost almost as much as another subwoofer. Probably out of my budget.
Yes, they do "singles". I purchased mines as "core" then finished them when funds became available. That is the beauty about Salamander Synergy. They are totally customizable to your needs. Yes, they are expensive but to me they are totally worthy.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,721 Posts
You guys really need to get back on-topic with Rythmik subs and leave the other stuff out of it.

Why? Because a recent change means I need to replace my console. I was looking at Salamander years ago when I first built the media room, and a friend went that route and loves his, but ultimately I bought a cheap console as a placeholder. It has worked nicely (mostly) for 10+ years, but my new AVP needs more space, and I want to move the center back on the console instead of the homebrew stand I am using for the center speaker and AVP (SDP-75). So I was planning to build something, just like I had planned to do many years ago, but work is crazy so my temporary stand has been there for months. So now here I am again, after all that time wading through endless marketing drivel to decide upon Salamander years ago, reading this thread (ostensibly abo0ut SUBWOOFERS) thinking I should just by the Salamander modules I need and be done with it.

So here we go again, four Rythmik subs in the room, but yet Enrico and you guys are making me want to spend more even if I don't need more subs... :)

Edit: That ain't the worst of it; a new stand would allow me to place a larger TV as well. I hate you all. :D

·
Registered
497 Posts
You guys really need to get back on-topic with Rythmik subs and leave the other stuff out of it.

Why? Because a recent change means I need to replace my console. I was looking at Salamander years ago when I first built the media room, and a friend went that route and loves his, but ultimately I bought a cheap console as a placeholder. It has worked nicely (mostly) for 10+ years, but my new AVP needs more space, and I want to move the center back on the console instead of the homebrew stand I am using for the center speaker and AVP (SDP-75). So I was planning to build something, just like I had planned to do many years ago, but work is crazy so my temporary stand has been there for months. So now here I am again, after all that time wading through endless marketing drivel to decide upon Salamander years ago, reading this thread (ostensibly abo0ut SUBWOOFERS) thinking I should just by the Salamander modules I need and be done with it.

So here we go again, four Rythmik subs in the room, but yet Enrico and you guys are making me want to spend more even if I don't need more subs... :)

Edit: That ain't the worst of it; a new stand would allow me to place a larger TV as well. I hate you all. :D

Could be worse. They could talk about getting new speakers with magic tweeters or some other placebo. ;)

You might have to spend even more of your hard-earned monies! :)

Oh and I also have Salamander Synergy, for your sake I'll tell you they are terrible in an effort to save you time and money. But that would be a lie! :D

Reactions: darthray

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts

Spoiler alert: the Salamander Synergy cabinet I got for my Sony 77A9G OLED TV and center channel speaker is custom made by Salamander directly. I had to ask them to shorter the center post so the opening for the center channel speaker (Ascend Acoustics Sierra Horizon w/RAAL) which is 11" tall would fit. I asked for a 12" opening and the standard I think is 9.5" or close to that.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Spoiler alert: the Salamander Synergy cabinet I got for my Sony 77A9G OLED TV and center channel speaker is custom made by Salamander directly. I had to ask them to shorter the center post so the opening for the center channel speaker (Ascend Acoustics Sierra Horizon w/RAAL) which is 11" tall would fit. I asked for a 12" opening and the standard I think is 9.5" or close to that.

I also bought a Salamander Synergy. I basically ordered it minus a few things when I had different speakers. When I changed my speakers and got my much taller Monitor Audio Gold GXC 350 Center channel I asked Salamander to make longer poles all around so that I could fit the new center channel speaker inside.

Enrico, we aren't helping him are we? :D

Reactions: darthray

·
Registered
12,721 Posts
Could be worse. They could talk about getting new speakers with magic tweeters or some other placebo. ;)

You might have to spend even more of your hard-earned monies! :)

Oh and I also have Salamander Synergy, for your sake I'll tell you they are terrible in an effort to save you time and money. But that would be a lie! :D
Swine. But, new speakers are not happening, no way, no how. Actually, I am planning to add some heights (hopefully this summer), but the mains are done for a long, long time.

I would go modular and probably skip the center. My plan was two racks with the center open and a plank across the top to support the TV. My friend has a similar scheme due the same problem (he has the big B&W center). I think he actually had them make a custom top for his setup. Back then, the Magnepan center was too tall for their space. Now, my Voice2 is big and heavy, so I would either use the stand it comes with (I have it, just not using it at the moment) or use my homebrew stand and finally paint it black (bare plywood now -- another permanent temporary kludge). One of my amps is in the center spot of my current console so is hidden and that's fine -- turns on and off with the trigger input.

·
Registered
497 Posts

43501 - 43520 of 45162 Posts