AVS Forum banner

43541 - 43560 of 45253 Posts

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
Danger, Will Robinson. Makes me think of Lost in Space, not Star Trek.

@Gary Bechtold conflating movies -- see previous posts for additional examples. Cats and dogs, sleeping together...

Reactions: Gary Bechtold

·
Registered
229 Posts
I've had my FVX15 since March and am happy with it. However, I have an occasional hum, which I think is the dc offset issue as it still occurs with the RCA cable unplugged.
I noticed the recommendation for the Emotiva CMX-2, but it seems to be out of stock everywhere.
Anyone have another similar product to recommend? Any idea if the CMX-2 is coming back?
The CMX-2 comes and goes very frequently. I would recommend you signing in the “Notify Me When Available”. It won’t take too long to be back in stock.

https://emotiva.com/products/cmx-2
In case anyone else is curious, Emotiva emailed and said 5-6 weeks. Of course I wish sooner, but not surprising these days and I will wait for it.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I will wait for it.
Words I thought I'd never, ever hear on AVS from anyone, ever (other than myself! :eek:). Good for you. Patience is a virtue.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
^
The CMX-2 is definitely worth the wait. I went thru many many power conditioners over the years and was always disappointed for one reason or another. The CMX-2 is the first pc that I have used where I can vouch that it removes line noise. I probably have half a dozen of them now and my HT gear runs thru just two that are split out to a total of 12 outlets using my own custom PDU's with on/off switch and nothing else. I keep thinking I should buy a few more CMX-2's just to keep in reserve.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I was somewhat concerned that 77" would be too big, especially after seeing my cousin's 82" LCD, which I thought was too big. I needed to replace the 42" plasma in my den so I bought the 65" Sony to hold me over for a few months until I get a 77" OLED. I was hoping to get Sony's 2020 77" OLED, but I read earlier this month that it was cancelled. So now I have to decide on whether to get the 2019 Sony or the 2020 LG... or wait to see what happens at CES 2021. The 65" Sony in my living room has exceeded my expectations, so there's no rush. My concerns with OLED is the drastic reduction in brightness compared to LCD, burn in, and sports (motion).
Sacrilege, saying a TV display is too big. Is like saying, I can get away with a smaller sub:)
We never have too much subs, since good bass is very addictive. Same with a display monitor, it will become too small very fast.

When I built my Theater. I was restricted and still am to a 114" screen, at first it was very big coming from a 90" screen. then it did not took long that I wish, I could have gone to 130" since I got use to the size very fast:eek::D
After all, a big picture and good sound including awesome bass. Bring you closer, to a real movie experience.

Darth

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
Sacrilege, saying a TV display is too big.
You tell him, next he'll be saying he doesn't need another sub, let alone an 18-incher...

·
Registered
504 Posts
In case anyone else is curious, Emotiva emailed and said 5-6 weeks. Of course I wish sooner, but not surprising these days and I will wait for it.
Words I thought I'd never, ever hear on AVS from anyone, ever (other than myself! :eek:). Good for you. Patience is a virtue.

I waited over 2 months for my F18s rather than getting SVS SB-16 U's right away. Well worth the wait!

I ordered my center channel in January and it's not available for shipment until July!

^
The CMX-2 is definitely worth the wait. I went thru many many power conditioners over the years and was always disappointed for one reason or another. The CMX-2 is the first pc that I have used where I can vouch that it removes line noise. I probably have half a dozen of them now and my HT gear runs thru just two that are split out to a total of 12 outlets using my own custom PDU's with on/off switch and nothing else. I keep thinking I should buy a few more CMX-2's just to keep in reserve.

I went the expensive overkill route and bought the Panamax M5400-PM. My dealer got it to me in a week.

https://www.panamax.com/product/max-5400-power-management-w-voltage-regulation-2ru-11-outlets-M5400-PM

This one is also very highly rated and available in less than a week:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1226859-REG/furman_elite_15_pf_i_linear_filtering_ac_power.html

Reactions: jwskud and darthray

·
Registered
504 Posts
You tell him, next he'll be saying he doesn't need another sub, let alone an 18-incher...

Too late. I just posted in the Revel forum that I'm confident I'll be okay with the two after using the miniDSP and REW. :p

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
^
I've had both of those exact models of Panamax and Furman. Neither do anything for DC offset and neither made a difference in my system. Both work fine as surge protection and as basic power distribution and both look good. The Furman, however, was particularly disappointing because the outlets had very poor grip... worse than even my cheapy mass produced wall outlets.

·
Premium Member
4,792 Posts
Too late. I just posted in the Revel forum that I'm confident I'll be okay with the two after using the miniDSP and REW. :p
If it makes you feel any better, I found having an F18 behind my old chair very distracting for music, as it was constantly vibrating the wooden frame. I didn't try it with movies, the effect might be more enjoyable that way. Haven't tried it with my newer chair. Also, I lost a whole bunch of low end reinforcement with the F18 near the middle of the room.

·
Registered
498 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi,

While many gave you some good recommendation, and do use myself 4 XLR to RCA cables from my AVP to my second Amp for the Atmos duty speakers.
They are short (3ft), and would had use RCA if it was not of a hiss problem. From my Marantz AVP, when using the RCA outputs. That could be either a bad component on my AVP, or since I was using XLR connections for all my other connections on my system.

The purpose of XLR cables. Is to be able to produce a clean signal, for a long distance without degradation in the signal and minimum ground noise. Having an XLR to RCA cable, for a long run defeat that purpose. While both XLR and RCA, can be shield. The XLR is a balance cable, and the RCA is unbalance;
https://www.techwalla.com/articles/what-is-an-xlr-cable

While it can be done, having an XLR to RCA still give an unbalance connection. But sometime due a hiss problem from the source like mine, or ease of connection. It is the only solution we have. Since you have such a long run, perhaps using good quality subs RCA cable/s from BJC;
https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/subwoofer/index.htm
Is your best option, and can recommend the proper cable/s for you. Since they also have excellent quality and good Customer Service.

Darth
Yep I asked they said that no advantage could actually cause noise problems. Also if you haven't XLR on ends you can't run a balanced signal.
Hi,

BJC is one of those very honest company, that prefer giving an honest answer over making a sell. Like my previous post, they also mention it will not be a balance signal.
That said, most folks use RCA and work great for them.

Having a noise problem like an hiss/buzz, can be very difficult to find the culprit. Since most time, it has to do with a connection problem. And could be anything, same electrical circuit/cables etc…

A quick search on google, gave me this link that may be useful to you;
https://www.techhive.com/article/3063590/how-to-get-rid-of-hum-and-eliminate-other-noises-from-your-audio-and-video-systems.html

Even with all the precautions I did, been each dictated (two 20 Amps and two 15 Amps) electrical circuit are on the same side of the house main circuit. And using all XLR connections, problem still can occur. As it happen with my present Marantz AVP, using the RCA outputs. And a short adapter, going from XLR to RCA did fix my problem. It took me a long time, to find the cause of the problem. And having a good quality cable to start with, is one less thing to check.

Darth
Thanks Darth
Easy to deal with and straight up.
I will read the link, thanks.

Not sure how long it will take but ordered 40ft RCA to RCA today.

Will post back once I have received and have it running.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Thanks Darth
Easy to deal with and straight up.
I will read the link, thanks.

Not sure how long it will take but ordered 40ft RCA to RCA today.

Will post back once I have received and have it running.
Hi Philips,

Since all orders from BJC, are custom made. It take only a few days to built them, and then your are the mercy of the shipping method.
While my last order was many years ago, I recall it was fairly fast for a product custom made and not stock on a shelf.
From my old memory banks, it was less than two weeks. That said, I also live in Canada where any orders going through the border take much longer.

Darth

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
Too funny:)

Anyone else notice on the top left picture, it's say "NPYD" instead of "NYPD".

Darth
I think the writing on her (?) hand says "NERD" but maybe I am just self-projecting...

·
Registered
128 Posts
OK, one of you two needs to change his avatar. It's really playing tricks with my brain... Sometimes I don't know if I'm responding to Ray or Charles.... :D

Here some more FV18 photos for one of you to choose from :)
The FV18 with Silver cone looks very beautiful. Can you upload a FV25HP with Silver Cone? never seen one.

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
^
I've had both of those exact models of Panamax and Furman. Neither do anything for DC offset and neither made a difference in my system. Both work fine as surge protection and as basic power distribution and both look good. The Furman, however, was particularly disappointing because the outlets had very poor grip... worse than even my cheapy mass produced wall outlets.

I thought furman was favored over the panamax as it uses series mode protection, which iirc from a prior Mark Seaton post was the recommended way?

https://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/post/submersive-and-spark-surge-suppressor-power-conditioner-4769021

(someone please correct me if the panamax also uses SMP)

Now, my Voice2 is big and heavy, so I would either use the stand it comes with (I have it, just not using it at the moment) or use my homebrew stand and finally paint it black (bare plywood now -- another permanent temporary kludge). .

FWIW, I stuck a Voice2 on a Salamander Synergy without any problems

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi Philips,

Since all orders from BJC, are custom made. It take only a few days to built them, and then your are the mercy of the shipping method.
While my last order was many years ago, I recall it was fairly fast for a product custom made and not stock on a shelf.
From my old memory banks, it was less than two weeks. That said, I also live in Canada where any orders going through the border take much longer.

Darth

Amazon usually has a wide selection of BJC cables in stock. With Prime, 2 day delivery. Pricing is also very good.

·
Registered
128 Posts
And, what is the difference between the DS1510 and the DS1520? The Rythmik website describes both the drivers to have 3" Voice coil, 200 oz magnet and +-20mm Xmax.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Too funny:)

Anyone else notice on the top left picture, it's say "NPYD" instead of "NYPD".

Darth
She did forget about Lord Voldemort. The undisputed Dark Lord of the Sith.

Sent from my HD1911 using Tapatalk

43541 - 43560 of 45253 Posts