AVS Forum banner

44121 - 44140 of 45797 Posts

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
7,780 Posts
The "less than helpful" was in reference to the questions I asked about the differences between the two 15" models that went unanswered - it had nothing to do with his suggestion about needing more subs to pressurize the space, which I found insightful as I hadn't heard that before. But I didn't specify that in my post, so apologies if I misled. Have gotten good feedback from some of the posters here.

oh....and you know what they say about people who make assumptions.
3 dB will likely make a nice difference in my opinion, especially considering the large space you are dealing with. At higher output levels, each dB or two of SPL in bass becomes quite noticeable. More so than a dB or 2 or 3 at low volumes.

For example, if your subs hit their limits at say, 110 dB on an LFE scene, and bigger subs will play the scene at 113 dB, it would be a quite noticeable difference and feel a lot more powerful.

Another way to look at it is going from 2 FVX15's to 3 FVX15's would add, best case scenario, 3 dB for an additional $1100 cost. Dual FV15's give you this added SPL for a smaller cost difference.

Reactions: darthray

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
The "less than helpful" was in reference to the questions I asked about the differences between the two 15" models that went unanswered - it had nothing to do with his suggestion about needing more subs to pressurize the space, which I found insightful as I hadn't heard that before. But I didn't specify that in my post, so apologies if I misled. Have gotten good feedback from some of the posters here.

oh....and you know what they say about people who make assumptions.

It might be worth starting with some SVS subs just to see if two $1500 subs are even in the ballpark. This way you won't risk having to pay return shipping. If they are close to working, send them back and then buy the FV15HP. If they aren't anywhere close you'll want to look at the FV25HP. Based on the data-bass.com numbers, I really don't see the value in the FV18 over the FV15HP.

·
Registered
971 Posts
It might be worth starting with some SVS subs just to see if two $1500 subs are even in the ballpark. This way you won't risk having to pay return shipping. If they are close to working, send them back and then buy the FV15HP. If they aren't anywhere close you'll want to look at the FV25HP. Based on the data-bass.com numbers, I really don't see the value in the FV18 over the FV15HP.
So you are now the resident expert I see. You have had the fv15hp and fv18 in your room I assume? Did you look at distortion numbers or the port tuning between the 2 at all during your time with them?

·
Registered
I like big cones and I cannot lie!
669 Posts
Oh my goodness! Not another I asked for suggestions and got the wrong answer post!! If you had teh answer, whay ask for suggestions? Its a HUGE ROOM! Im guessing you left out the part about it being slab on grade as well? They answer given was to prevent you from coming back and saying, " Damn Rythmic guys sold be 2 huge 12" subs and I cant even feel them unless I stand right next to them. Must be a crap product! They took advantage of me!"

Ok, Im just giveing you soem hell. All in a friendly manner. You have a huge room. Just because you put your TV and chairs in the corner of a football stadium doesn't make the stadium any smaller. Wall it off, get 3-FV25HP's, or a couple of Cap4000's (Oh god did he just do that in the Rythmic tread??!!), or get a couple of small woofers and understand they probably wont make much for bass, or TR response in that room when all is said and done.

Above all, take the suggestions as exactly that. Suggestions, made by people that probably know way more about the subject then you might? If you're smarter, why ask?

At a minimum in that stadium, err I mean room, 2-FV18's to even begin to make your water giggle. 2- FV25HP's is a better bet probably if you only want 2. OR!!! make the room smaller.

:):):p:D:D (see the smileys? Im not the bad man I may come across as.)

For what its worth, I have 2-FV18's on order for a 600-700 square foot room. 5,500 +/- cubic feet. I don't think it will be extremely overkill. Slightly, maybe, but Im on slab on grade and I dont want to spend half of that and not get there. That means I lost that money to try and fix. Hell, Im still pondering on changing to the FV25's!

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
You need to get off whatever you are smoking....no value of the FV18 over the FV15HP? Are you kidding me?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
So you are now the resident expert I see. You have had the fv15hp and fv18 in your room I assume? Did you look at distortion numbers or the port tuning between the 2 at all?

I made it pretty clear in my post what I was basing my statement off of. You can go to data-bass.com to compare measured outputs of the FV18 and FV15HP. The numbers have also been posted in this thread multiple times.

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
I made it pretty clear in my post what I was basing my statement off of. You can go to data-bass.com to compare measured outputs of the FV18 and FV15HP. The numbers have also been posted in this thread multiple times.
Yes we know the numbers. The difference is huge. You perhaps don't know how to read them.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
You need to get off whatever you are smoking....no value of the FV18 over the FV15HP? Are you kidding me?

Based on the data-bass numbers no. I don't see it for myself. The paper cone numbers will be interesting when they get measured. Either way for that space I really think FV25HP is more in line with what will be needed. 11,000cuft is huge.

EDIT:
FV15HP : 98.5104108.3111.7115.3117.8118117.9117.8117.6117.2

FV18: 99.7106.7110.1112.7115116.1117.2118.2118.5119.1118.8

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
Based on the data-bass numbers no. I don't see it for myself. The paper cone numbers will be interesting when they get measured. Either way for that space I really think FV25HP is more in line with what will be needed. 11,000cuft is huge.
As I said, you need to understand how to read them....

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I still stand by my post. You don’t know anything but you post like you know everything.

I gave my opinion and presented it as such.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Yes, and you were called out on your opinion. I see a lot of your opinions and recommendations lately and I couldn’t bite my tongue any longer.

Sorry but nobody proved my opinion wrong. Value is a relative item and nobody can say their definition is the correct one for others, hence where i said it was my opinion. $450 for 1-1.5dB increase in some areas (not an increase across the board mind you, the FV15HP has higher output than the FV18 between 25 and 40Hz) is not enough value added for myself. The FV25HP is clearly a step above both options.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Yes, and you were called out on your opinion. I see a lot of your opinions and recommendations lately and I couldn’t bite my tongue any longer.

Good for you. I hope you sleep better tonight. I am glad you love your FV18 subs.

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
Sorry but nobody proved my opinion wrong. Value is a relative item and nobody can say their definition is the correct one for others, hence where i said it was my opinion. $450 for 1-1.5dB increase in some areas (not an increase across the board mind you, the FV15HP has higher output than the FV18 between 25 and 40Hz) is not enough value added for myself. The FV25HP is clearly a step above both options.
Is that how you arrived at the V1812? Across the board increase in output? The FVX12 had a lot more below 20hz then your V1812 yet you still chose that, so your explanation does not make sense.

Reactions: d-rail34 and jsc79

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have a FV15HP and added dual FV18s to the mix a few weeks ago. All hooked to a mini dsp, I can assure you there is a noticeable difference between the 2. It would seem you don’t know what you are talking about.

There is a saying in the motorcycle world...”there is no replacement for displacement” same thing in this case.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
I have a FV15HP and added dual FV18s to the mix a few weeks ago. All hooked to a mini dsp, I can assure you there is a noticeable difference between the 2.
^^ This. I owned my FV15HPs for years and know them well. The fv18 is on another planet compare to my fv15. Yes, I have heard both of of the aluminum and paper cone fv18 and they worth every penny over my fv15. Matter of fact, If I am shopping for sub today, I would take the fv18 over the fv15 even if the fv18 was priced at $2000. It is at least that much better. There are plenty of people here that heard both of the fv15 and fv18 and will tell you the same that the fv18 is so much better. I haven’t paid attention too much into output and such, but if the fv18 is not shown on databass that it has that much db over the fv15, it must be the weather and the condition it was tested in. It needs to be retested. I can tell you that one fv18 sounds almost as powerful as my 2 FV15HPs. Remember, the fv18 also has one more port over the fv15 in 12hz mode. Brian already said he will send a pc FV18 to Ricci so we just have to wait to see. I find it real odd for someone who cares so much about db numbers to buy a sub with no such data, seriously. I am positive that he will return that sub before the trial period is over, believe me.

·
Registered
7,264 Posts
Rythmik Subwoofer Comparison

Here is the Rythmik lineup, as of the edited date of this post.

It's nice to have comprehensive data on Rythmik subs. This allows us to make comparisons and shop within the lineup.

Rythmik Value Comparisons.png

Notes:
FV15HP numbers on data-bass are higher because of the different testing method used back then. The numbers in this post are more accurate.
FV25HP makes more sense if it is +17.5 dB relative to F12.
FV28 is just a fun guesstimate.

Please let me know if you find any errors!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Can anyone give me some advice? Are they looking to oversell me or do I need to reassess my sub needs and maybe look to a higher output sub brand like PSA?

Thanks!
I guess it all depends on what your expectations are. As others have said, low frequencies see the volume of the entire room and huge rooms can require a LOT of output to pressurize the space, especially at the lowest frequencies. If you have never experienced a home theater with properly sized, properly integrated subwoofers, you may be happy with a pair of 15” subs. However, if you want a great bass experience, you will need more.

For perspective, I used to have a single 12” subwoofer in my 5500 cu/ft media room. I always thought it sounded great and provided lots of impact during movies. What I lacked was perspective as I had never heard a proper setup. I now have 2 - 18” subs that can properly pressurize the space and the experience far exceeds that of an actual movie theater.

I don’t think that Rythmik was trying to oversell you, just help match the right sub(s) to your room. What home theater setups have you heard? Are you looking for a true movie theater like experience?

44121 - 44140 of 45797 Posts