AVS Forum banner

44661 - 44680 of 45910 Posts

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Get the FV15HP, it's worth the extra IMO. + 3 db over the FVX is a fair amount (according to their site)
Ok, I’m going with two FV15HP‘s. Now is the $40 for peq worth the money since my AVR has subwoofer peq?

·
Premium Member
6,370 Posts
Ok, I’m going with two FV15HP‘s. Now is the $40 for peq worth the money since my AVR has subwoofer peq?
For that amount I personally prefer to have it and not use it than need it and not to have it
The FV15HP used to come with the H600PEQ3 amp as standard amp and the H600XLR3 amp was a $40 upgrade amp. Now we decided to make the XLR3 amp standard in all our subwoofers so unless you need speaker level inputs, then go with the H600XLR3 amp which BTW has PEQ as well.

H600PEQ3:

H600XLR3:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
^^ Thanks for the pix, Enrico. I have the non XLR version, so I can quickly identify the differences on the XLR version: 1. The obvious XLR inputs, 2. The dedicated limiter switch (non-xlr version has the limiter built into the power on and auto switch), 3. 12V trigger, 4. No speaker level in

Attachments

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
Thanks for the info, especially on the PEQ being built in now.

I just ordered two FV15HP. Now the waiting starts.
Congrats! Those are great subs. There is a reason why the FV15HP is still king of the 15 inch subs after 10 years of being introduced....;)

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
How about the JTR Captivator 1200XS, can it perform better than the FV15Hp?

The 1200xs is not a regular offering. If it was offered it would be close to $2k and not at the $1400 price it was offered at. So can’t compare to be honest. I would give the fv15hp edge SQ if nothing else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
155 Posts
Finally caved and ordered my FV15HP, thanks to all the input and suggestions from people here.

Just a question, is there anything specific I will need to do once i get it / hook up to my receiver? Or just the MCACC auto tuning from my Pioneer Elite LX503? Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Just a question, is there anything specific I will need to do once i get it / hook up to my receiver? Or just the MCACC auto tuning from my Pioneer Elite LX503? Thanks in advanced!
Go HERE and read away...

You're going to be very pleased, and I am very jealous (for now, until some day I get my coveted dual FV18PCs...).

·
Registered
155 Posts
Go HERE and read away...

You're going to be very pleased, and I am very jealous (for now, until some day I get my coveted dual FV18PCs...).
Awesome, thanks again @jwskud , I will give it a read this weekend and again once I receive the actual sub

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
3 Subs - One different

Before I get my two Rythmik’s, I have a question about utilizing my old PSB Subseries 9. My Yamaha can handle two subs, so I’m thinking of using a Y adapter on the two Rythmik’s and hooking up the PSB to the 2nd dedicated sub output. Since the Rythmik’s have separate EQ I was thinking this might work better than a Y adapter between one Rythmik and the PSB. However, because the Rythmik’s are significantly better than the PSB, I’ll lose the ability to eq the Rythmik’s separately and be forced to fix one of the subs only using its PEQ controls.

Also, is it a bad idea to run YPAO with two subs on a Y adapter- will the AVR try to fix things not understanding there are two separate subs on one output?

·
Registered
938 Posts
So this is my experience with SVS vs Rythmik subwoofers:

* First I bought an SVS SB-1000:
Pros: Hits really hard. You can feel the punch in the chest sometimes.
Cons: Most lower frequency bass sounds sound the same, which feels quite boring and a bit "cheap". Also, sound does not "fill" the room completely (20-25m2).

* Based on the experiences above, I bought a Rythmik F12-SE:
Pros: Much more detailed bass. Different kinds of bass sounds are possible to distinguish. Sound fills the room better.
Cons: Does not hit as hard. The right volume is there, but you do not feel the punch as hard.

So far I've been very happy with the Rythmik F12-SE. Overall it's a better subwoofer for my use cases.

But I just wonder if the experiences above are common for other people as well? Also, is there any Rythmik subwoofer that can provide the benefits I experience over the SVS subwoofer, but in addition "hit as hard" as the SVS? And this without it getting physically a lot bigger?

PS. Currently I'm using the audio setup for movie watching only.

·
Registered
650 Posts
But I just wonder if the experiences above are common for other people as well? Also, is there any Rythmik subwoofer that can provide the benefits I experience over the SVS subwoofer, but in addition "hit as hard" as the SVS? And this without it getting physically a lot bigger?

It's room dependent so everyone else's experiences will differ.

My advice - turn it up a bit in steps till you get the "hit as hard" that you want. If you are running the sub over an LFE line, you should be able to turn up the volume delivered to the sub in the receiver you are using. Also there is the volume knob on the rear of the sub.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Has anyone broken down one of the Rythmik subwoofer boxes and then successfully reassembled it?
While I never did reassembled them, since mines went to recycle. They fold down easily, once the tape is cut with a blade. Therefore, I do not see any problems to put them back together.
Mine still taking up my garage space after all these years.
I'm in the same boat but with REP Fitness trying to get a REP AB-5000 ZeroGap bench and some attachments for my power rack. Looks like subwoofers and strength training equipment are the most valuable and out of stock items these pandemic days :)

I need to clean up my fourth bedroom so I can start using my bench. I have a 300lb free weight set for my bars and another 50lbs of the smaller sized weights for my adjustable dumbbells. We used the room as storage during our renovation and still haven't found a place for everything, including the F18 boxes. It's the only room in my house that I haven't fixed up since moving in my house >10 years ago. My wife, who is off over the summer, claims the room will be her summer project. Tomorrow I will try taking the boxes apart (separating the inner and outer boxes) and folding them up, if possible. They're too big to fit into my attic as-is.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,746 Posts
I need to clean up my fourth bedroom so I can start using my bench. I have a 300lb free weight set for my bars and another 50lbs of the smaller sized weights for my adjustable dumbbells. We used the room as storage during our renovation and still haven't found a place for everything, including the F18 boxes. It's the only room in my house that I haven't fixed up since moving in my house >10 years ago. My wife, who is off over the summer, claims the room will be her summer project. Tomorrow I will try taking the boxes apart (separating the inner and outer boxes) and folding them up, if possible. They're too big to fit into my attic as-is.
Wish her all the best from me, in this summer project:)

Just some side information's, since it look like have two F18. With my dual FV18, when I was getting ready to bring them for recycling. All the inside packaging of the two boxes, did fill completely one of the box. Resulting in two trips for me at the Recycling depot, using a Nissan Murano SUV with the back seats folded:eek:

The bad for you, is you will need to find some extra spaces to store them:(
While the good for all of us, including you. Mean those subs are very package, to arrive in a pristine condition to our door:D

Darth

·
Premium Member
7,746 Posts
Before I get my two Rythmik’s, I have a question about utilizing my old PSB Subseries 9. My Yamaha can handle two subs, so I’m thinking of using a Y adapter on the two Rythmik’s and hooking up the PSB to the 2nd dedicated sub output. Since the Rythmik’s have separate EQ I was thinking this might work better than a Y adapter between one Rythmik and the PSB. However, because the Rythmik’s are significantly better than the PSB, I’ll lose the ability to eq the Rythmik’s separately and be forced to fix one of the subs only using its PEQ controls.

Also, is it a bad idea to run YPAO with two subs on a Y adapter- will the AVR try to fix things not understanding there are two separate subs on one output?
It depend, while some AVR's do have two subs output. Some use an internal Y-splitter for those two output, giving the same results as using a Y-splitter on one output.

So let's go to both scenarios;

-If not a true dual subs output AVR, any calibration system will do it's measurement and try to adjust them as one. Resulting to get the best of them, some playing around with the Phase control will be required on your part due to the different distances between both subs to your MLP.

-If a true dual subs output, I would strongly advise to connect one sub on each output. While once the measurement are done, and the AVR will still adjust the as one. Many will adjust correctly the distance between each sub, depending of the calibration system (same as the Phase control do, to compensate the different distance and some calibration system are better than the other). Increasing the potential of not having to play with the Phase control, to achieve good results the first time.

Side note: In case you wonder why would a true two output subs, is still doing the final output result as one sub even with two subs. In any sound track, been the few 2.1 or most likely 5.1, 7.1 or 7.1.2 they all have one thing in common. There is only one bass soundtrack in any sound recording, therefore the reason any calibration system. Once the reading are done, consider those subs as one in our room.

While many of us like to say, and will use my self has an example. I got a 7.2.4 system, in reality I got 7.1.4 (with two subs) system:)

Darth

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
If a true dual subs output, I would strongly advise to connect one sub on each output. While once the measurement are done, and the AVR will still adjust the as one. Many will adjust correctly the distance between each sub, depending of the calibration system (same as the Phase control do, to compensate the different distance and some calibration system are better than the other). Increasing the potential of not having to play with the Phase control, to achieve good results the first time.
Darth
My Yamaha RX-A3060 is a true dual sub output. PEQ can be done independently on each one. But that’s not really my question, it’s what is the best way to hook up my 3rd sub, which doesn’t match the Rythmiks.

I think my best option is to have the Yamaha eq the two Rythmik’s as one, and the PSB (which will be on the other side of the room) as the second. I will then be able to do my REW measurements and try to dial in the Rythmik’s independently using their built in PEQ.

·
Premium Member
7,746 Posts
My Yamaha RX-A3060 is a true dual sub output. PEQ can be done independently on each one. But that’s not really my question, it’s what is the best way to hook up my 3rd sub, which doesn’t match the Rythmiks.

I think my best option is to have the Yamaha eq the two Rythmik’s as one, and the PSB (which will be on the other side of the room) as the second. I will then be able to do my REW measurements and try to dial in the Rythmik’s independently using their built in PEQ.
Than, two subs that are the closest to MLP with a Y-splitter. Than measure with those two, to play with Phase control to adjust for the small difference of distance between the two. Once you got your first two subs perfectly, connect the third one into the second sub output and let your AVR take care of the rest.

Those are the simple instructions, without using tools like REW and MiniDSP, that would give you a lot more options.

Darth

44661 - 44680 of 45910 Posts